CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 1 (Concept Poll 2)

Which concept should CAP 4 be based around?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raj

CAP Playtesting Expert
I want Me First, but that means you all need to vote. Vote or die mother fuckers lol. Me first could be awesome but so far only good on Scarf Lucario.

Voted Great Lead again. (Gogo minority?)

Yeah, I'm still opposed to Anti-ghost spinner, but I don't mind Utility winning (which it will).

I voted for the utility. If you all want to finish this part of CAP 4 quickly, vote for the utility also. If it gets more than 50% of the votes, we don't need to keep doing polls for the concept.

Yeah, I can see a Utility poke utilizing gravity etc. from the other concepts... SO I VOTED FOR IT. (I really like the Me First one but it seems like it could be worked into the Utility as well)

Besides the fact that a pure utility Pokemon is definitely the most needed of the options, it also overlaps on a few of the other concepts, as well. For example, a pure utility Pokemon who uses Rapid Spin might also qualify as the anti-ghost Spinner or the Gravity unit, as well as carrying moves that can disrupt a number of common leads, and therefore might fall into four of the concept categories listed, though it obviously doesn't have to.

Voted pure utility, because it can always get rapid spin/gravity
Or a Trick Room/Me First utility Pokemon. That only would be cool to have.

Elevator Music~ I think someone mention that little problem in the last thread, but regardless on who said it or not I agree with you there.It should try to focus on just a few utility moves instead of being all over the place. We all don't want a "Jack of all trades but master of none" deal here.

The problem here is that people are saying the utility pokemon can do most of the other concepts.

This is completely true. However, it should not be able to do all of them, and it definitely will not be able to do all of them at the same time.

Let me explain; We cannot try and make a pokemon that will counter Garchomp, be the best weather abuser, take advantage of Me First, etc, and expect CAP4 not to be completely broken. We will have to narrow down exactly what few things we want this pokemon to be able to do. I will not get into what I think this pokemon should and should not be able to do at risk of poll jumping, but I think that this is something we will all have to keep in mind. The concept allows the pokemon to do anythnig but not everything.

Just for the record, I am not referring to 4-slot moveset syndrome here.

Obviously, the pure utility Pokemon shouldn't try to take over all of the other roles, but it is helpful to note that a utility Pokemon can still be focused on one of the other roles if that one is deemed important as well.

It's not a Castform evolution, as this isn't the evolution project. As for "voting for the first option"... couldn't Utility have so many votes because it had more than double any other options vote in the previous bold vote? I think that might have something to do with it.

Och Noo, the poll is fixed, with Pure Utility in the first slot, how could it not win!? ;-)

To quote darkie:

If you all want to finish this part of CAP 4 quickly, vote for the utility also. If it gets more than 50% of the votes, we don't need to keep doing polls for the concept.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Order was determined by the amount of votes recieved in the previous thread.
It just seems like 1st option on the poll is always the winner. Next time when we try a poll we should put Pure Utility as the last option.
People always just vote for option 1, every time there's been a poll pretty much :(

Voted for Castform evo.
A F1 racer (let's call him Mark Webber for simplicitys sake) gets poll position. How does he get poll position? By performing well in qualifying. It gives him a slight advantage over the rest of the field, but is it ever enough to garuntee his win? No! Mark Webber is much more likely to bomb out due to technical dificulties...
Och Noo, the poll is fixed, with Pure Utility in the first slot, how could it not win!? ;-)
;)

I voted for the utility. If you all want to finish this part of CAP 4 quickly, vote for the utility also. If it gets more than 50% of the votes, we don't need to keep doing polls for the concept.
There was never going to be a concept poll 3, actually... Unless we had a real close finish in this one. Which it seems we're not.

The problem here is that people are saying the utility pokemon can do most of the other concepts.

This is completely true. However, it should not be able to do all of them, and it definitely will not be able to do all of them at the same time.

Let me explain; We cannot try and make a pokemon that will counter Garchomp, be the best weather abuser, take advantage of Me First, etc, and expect CAP4 not to be completely broken. We will have to narrow down exactly what few things we want this pokemon to be able to do. I will not get into what I think this pokemon should and should not be able to do at risk of poll jumping, but I think that this is something we will all have to keep in mind. The concept allows the pokemon to do anythnig but not everything.

Just for the record, I am not referring to 4-slot moveset syndrome here.
We'll be doing a poll to narrow down exactly which support options it gets down the road. Keep in mind it'll probably get every support TM there is and then any aditional requested support moves will have to fit into either Egg Moves or Level Up moves. Aka into a very limited space.

There was never going to be a concept poll 3, actually... Unless we had a real close finish in this one. Which it seems we're not.
Ah, okay then. I was just going by precedent.

I'm not so sure pure utility can survive in such an offensive environment without ridiculous defenses or a ridiculous ability. I voted for ultimate weather abuser, because it has potential where I see pure utility having little. There are already utility pokemon, albeit no "pure utility" but the flaws are apparent by examining the current metagame.

A pure utility pokemon, unless diverted from pure utility into another utility hybrid, will not threaten very much, forcing set-ups and sweeps to your team. Phazing will only delay the inevitable, meaning your utility pokemon needs to run recovery and roar/whirlwind, limiting utility potential to 2 moveslots.

It's an interesting idea, and I look forward to seeing what's going to come from it, but I feel that there are much more necessary pokemon roles to explore.

Good thing you aren't poll-jumping?

Uhh, who said this thing even needs to phaze in any manner anyways? We could always just have something like Latias (minus the Uberness) that can provide support while still having some offensive capability to speak of.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with the whole "most not all" utility move mentality to a degree.
This should have very little seen moves such as Encore, Rapid Spin, Haze, and Wish.

Had to vote Anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner for my Ghost/Normal concept. I'm really not understanding the huge popularity for utility though. Honestly, we've already got pokemon to do all of those things, with the exception being a reliable Rapid Spinner, in which case, why not have something devoted entirely to it? As fun as it would be to have a novelty team based around Tailwind, it will ultimately fail, and does little to serve the ultimate metagame, which will still revolve around Garchomp.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Cooper...the CaP metagame barely has any Garchomp >_> (at least from what I could tell)

Revenge killing Syclant, potentially Ice Punching Revenankh and super defensive Pyroak have all reduced its effectiveness.

I voted Pure Utility for a one basic reason: I love how open ended this is. Amuse me for a moment and picture this working out as I am: essentially, we as a community build this thing to be the utility equivalent of Clefable, meaning it can have around 10 - 12 potentially viable movesets...how awesome would that be? (maybe I'm a bit too excited for this ~_~)

I don't even see any reason for limiting the utility options, to be honest. I know various statistical builds that can use any of the following effectively: Encore, Wish, Haze, Tailwind, Gravity, Trick Room etc. etc. etc.

We can easily have the majority of utility moves on this simply because none of them (besides maybe Wish...but that's arguable too) really require a specific build or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)