CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 2 (Primary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poison for two. Absorbs Toxic Spikes, two resistances, etc. It's been explained to death already.

Electric for one. Good STAB type, one weakness, and there's a distinct lack of defensive Electric types.

I'm guessing that this will have piss poor offenses, neh? Because it's going to be able to do anything at all from the utility side of things.
Wouldn't it need some type of offenses in order to threaten off things? I can't image it having super shit attacks stat thus giving it no way to defend itself against things like Dos or Blissey.

Depends on what people want. I wouldn't mind sacrificing offense for utility. We've got plenty of offense in DP, but very little utility that can stand its ground.

But perhaps we're rushing ahead. Let's stick to the poll at hand.

It will probably cause a lot of damage indirectly, like through the spikes or status or something like Rough Skin (which fits nicely with a platypus/echidna hybrid).

ground- electric immune(paralysis) and acceptable weaknesses, although pretty common.

poison- toxic spikes resist and Weaknesses are not that much of a problem.
plus poison pokemon always look awesome :D

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
First Choice: Electric

Ahhhhh an Electric Utility pokemon. To be serious, although this only has 3 resistances, it also only has one weakness. That could be compounded by a secondary type.

Second Choice: Dragon

This would allow us to make the Bulky Dragon possible too.

Also, would a ??? type be a viable type, since there is a sprite for ??? type Arceus in-game, and there are some moves with that type.

1st choice-Dragon Dragon has many resistances (although not as many as Steel) but only two weaknesses (Ice and Dragon). Plus, all Dragons so far were clearly designed with sweeping in mind.

2nd choice-Steel Steel has many resistances, but it's weak to Fire, Fighting, and Ground, which are common attacking types (although the ability or second type could eliminate some of these weaknesses).

Also, would a ??? type be a viable type, since there is a sprite for ??? type Arceus in-game, and there are some moves with that type.
Seriously? It's not on the type chart. What does it resist? What is it weak to? There's only one move with that type, iirc, Curse.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
"Pure Utility Pokemon" won the previous poll by a country mile, so it's now time to determine what type our support Pokemon should be. Keep in mind key resistances and weaks of every type, as I realise that almost anything could be viable.
Thanks for... um... linking to the exact same place I did. That kind of thing just comes out messy if you attempt to ctrl-copy, ctrl-paste it so a jpeg would be more apropriate. In any case I suspect people know the type chart well enough to make an informed decesion. I guess I could always screenshot it. Hrm I'll get round to that later I guess.

Really hoping more people keep in mind this is just for primary typing although if someone has their heart set on Grass/Fire well I guess they can't be blamed for voting for just those two types.

No, no ??? type.

First Choice: DARK it is both resistant to its own type and seriously threatens ghosts for rapid spin, plus it fits in to the whole support move slot. (Snatch, Encore, Trick Room, etc.)

Second Choice: FLYING nice resistances and eq immunity means more opportunities to switch in and do its thing.

First: Poison, absorbs tspikes, the only type to have a utility of its own, and has a very handy fighting resistance. Only weak to Psychic and Ground. Poor offensive type, but it doesn't matter for a pure utility pokemon.

Second: Steel, lots of resistances, very handy for getting in to support though its weaknesses to fighting, ground, and fire hinder it greatly in some areas. Like poison, a very poor attacking type but as a supporter this won't matter.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Seriously? It's not on the type chart. What does it resist? What is it weak to? There's only one move with that type, iirc, Curse.
It has no resistances, weaknesses, and is super-effective against nothing. This was tested on a mod server already.

How do you test game mechanics on a mod server?

Shoddy's code is almost exactly the same to DP's. The ??? type exists in DP; Struggle is of this type. Shoddy exactly replicated this, and when the type was modded to a move, it could be tested as if such a move existed in the actual game. It could probably be applied to a pokemon as well.

To prove this, use struggle against anything; it won't ever miss, SE, be resisted, etc. It always hits, and it's always neutral.

tennisace

By programming the server, how did you think you do it? I don't know the exact coding used, but I don't think it was too hard adding an existing type. Its making a new type thats hard.

Edit: flounder is from RI?

Primary Choice: Steel
Runeer-Up: Poison

Steel is a great defensive type, albeit risky with EQ so rampant in the metagame. Supplemented with a quality ability/type/Magnet Rise (very maybe???), it would hold two or less weaknesses, and enough resists to guard China. Poison, while falling victim to the same curse, is a rather underused type, which I would like to see implemented. Both have mediocre STAB as well, leading the mainly utility theme without drowning it.

Tennisace, you can't test game mechanics on a simulator. Colin probably made ??? act like that because, really, there's no other information available on it.

Tennisace, you can't test game mechanics on a simulator. Colin probably made ??? act like that because, really, there's no other information available on it.

I beg to differ. If the code of the simulator replicated the game code to a "T", why shouldn't the testing be accurate?
Of course that's how he made it act, because that's how the game says it should act.
I'm by no means a programmer, Colin probably knows more about this than I. He used all of the information available, and it replicated the ??? type the way the game made it. If the info was in the code, we'd know about it, the game's code has been torn apart numerous times.

By programming the server, how did you think you do it? I don't know the exact coding used, but I don't think it was too hard adding an existing type. Its making a new type thats hard.

Edit: flounder is from RI?

Hell yes I'm from RI.

Im going to jump the poison bandwagon, but add a Fighting secondary choice, since fighting is one of the best types in the game, and resists dark.

tennisace

Why can't you? also, it could be easily programmed in. That's besides the point that it's impractical. It just would have been cool.

Let me lend a machete to everyone's intellectual thinking...

1. Steel

- Not only is it chuck full of goodies and all kinds of resistances... but ground always has its way with it... thats why I propose...

2. Ghost

- Thats right, ghost. I hated Metagross in ADV because of its typing... I mean, he was blocking ice beams, rock slides, 4x to psychic, flying, no poison... I mean, the list goes on... steel has proven to be a heck of a type... but (back to metagross) being psychic, it took great hits from ground attacks (EQ) because it didnt levitate. A Ghost/Steel pokemon could stop Lucario from Sword dancing and finishing everthing with close combat, bullet punch is nothing, cruch is neutral (like it would be on metagross), and this ghost/steel beast can fire back with its own attacks... and the list goes on of who IT CAN TAKE ON. No more Earthquakes will bother it, dragon can kiss good bye, and with enough HP, only one weakness, great stats and a big movepool, it would make Brozong look like a little baby. Its simply going to change the Metagame, and thats what we are looking for.

I propose a Levitating Steel/Ghost. Think about this one for a while... I think it would be worth it....

--- As far as redeming Poison... Electric/Poison sounds great although 4x ground can ruin you... a simple Mud Slap could make you your life miserable, but I guess with enough speed, an electric/poison can avoid EQ's enough to fire back with Thunderbolts/Sludge Bombs/ Flamethrower (using Muk's move pool ofcourse)... its a lot more like a sweeper typing anyway... 4x ground, its not good for a Utility/Tank pokemon....

Or, just to keep poison alive, maybe we can meet Nidoking's and Nidoqueen's brother (since I saw a couple of people mention it)... I'd love to see a huge Poison/Ground pokemon take on a whole team like back in Nido's prime RBY...

BUT...

All in all, I stick with Steel/Ghost.

Thats my opinion... PEACE

tennisace

Well someone didn't read the OP. You aren't voting for both types, only the primary. Second, we generally aren't going to make existing combos. Last, Revenankh takes care of SD Luke, and also happens to be Ghost type as well. Lurk Moar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)