CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 9 (Ability Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a discussion/submission thread for over a week. Any submissions should've been done there.
i made a submission, it got a few posts, and people liked it.
it didn't show up, but it doesnt matter; persistent is going to win no matter what.

Iron Fist
Frisk

Except for Tail Wind, all of the affected moves already last a decent amount of time. I chose Iron Fist first because even with his S.Atk being higher, there is no way in hell he's not packing punching moves in his arsenal and those fists look pretty damn strong to me. Second choice, Frisk, also makes sense with so many arms how could he not be able to frisk down an opposing pokemon, plus it'll help out Trick immensely should he get it.
:3

lets make a non-statusable utility pokemon! the only thing you can do is hit it, but that won't do very good now will it?
no poison, no paralyze, and no sleep? *sigh*
vital spirit is just generic and will make this pokemon much better than anyone thinks.

Unaware
Persistent

Unaware is just a really cool concept, and I wish more people had it.
Persistent is exactly what this guy is for, its perfect!

Vital Spirit only makes him IMMUNE to 2 statuses. Body Slam can still paralyze him, and any good para team runs a couple body slamers for that reason exactly. Just thoughtI would toss that in there.

Unaware
Persistent

Because they are support abilities. I considered Poison Point, but Toxic Spikes > Poison Point.

No offense anyone else, but I hate fake abilities. Every aspect of this process that we add that's fake, ups the fanboy quotient exponentially.
Kinda too late, I mean we are making fakemons aren't we? We already did everyone's fanboy dream in Revenankh, and Scylant isn't no perfect prize either. I think we have past the point of no return as far as I can see.

Poison Point
Persistent

Poison Point makes perfect sense, flavor-wise and utility-wise, and Persistent is obviously the epitome of utility.

Kinda too late, I mean we are making fakemons aren't we? We already did everyone's fanboy dream in Revenankh, and Scylant isn't no perfect prize either. I think we have past the point of no return as far as I can see.
I just really can't accept that as a good reason. Just because of past projects doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better.

I just really can't accept that. Just because of past projects doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to be better.
And by better you mean let's not make up new abilities, moves, evolutions, and/or items despite the fact they might further our project cause(s) or to enhance the metagame? Please note that I don't disagree with your opinion, but I don't have that same belief towards fake abilities/whatever as you do.

Personally, I just don't like the idea of creating abilities that:

1) Make something the "Ultimate <X>". In this case, the ultimate user of the moves mentioned in Persistant.

2) Make something immune to a major weakness... like Mountaineer.

3) Take a previous ability and make it more powerful / broken. I don't think this has been suggested yet, but essentially take Vital Spirit / Immunity / Limber / Guts, and combine them. That would be a definite no-no.

Creating an item with persistant's ability would be interesting, as it would allow other Pokemon to attempt those strategies, while preventing them from getting use out of Leftovers / Lum Berry / Rocks / etc.

And wow, everyone's changing their avatars.

Frisk
Persistent

Well, basically Frisk is a good ability that doesn't get a chance to be used successfully. Its a good ability that maybe pointless on most cases, but still has a chance to do something.

Persistant makes Tailwind actually a viable option, so I'd like to see that as well. And its not incredibly broken so that's fine by me.

Unaware
Klutz

Unaware doesn't work on choice items, does it? Either way, it is a great ability for a hazer, and it's time for Bibarel to share the love.

The more I think about it, this thing is not getting very many great switch-in's, so I kind of believe vital spirit would give it a much better ability to switch in on obvious sleep inducers.

Unaware
This is perfect, as Buckles above me mentioned, for a pokemon that is meant to use Haze.

Frisk
Knowing the opponent's item can be very useful, especially for pokemon like Salamence and Lucario who run many different sets. Finding out if a lead has a Focus Sash or Choice Scarf is a great heads up?

And by better you mean let's not make up new abilities, moves, evolutions, and/or items despite the fact they might further our project cause(s) or to enhance the metagame? Please note that I don't disagree with your opinion, but I don't have that same belief towards fake abilities/whatever as you do.
This project is Create-A-Pokemon. I personally take that at face value. Let's create a Pokemon. That should be the only variable as far as I'm concerned. Not an attack. Not an ability. Not an item. I feel like we should play with the parts that Gamefreak has in the game and only those parts, and make a competitive, interesting new creature out of them.

Beyond that, by keeping to that, it keeps this as new player friendly as possible. Explaining a new Pokemon is one thing. "He's a Bug/Ice sweeper type." Having to continue that and say "He's a Bug/Ice sweeper type of Pokemon with this awesome new ability that means that he's immune to rock type damage on the switch in" is a whole 'nother thing. There's a lot bigger chance of someone saying "F this, that's dumb, all you guys are dumb" the more stuff we make stuff up.

If this was Create-A-Metagame, then I'd agree with you. I wouldn't like the purpose as much, but I'd agree with you. But we're inserting new Pokemon with the intent of modifying the metagame piece by piece. I think it should just stick with the Pokemon, and let them do the work.

That's my general opinion.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Thunderpup... I outlined every OU threat and whether or not this thing could switch in in the Ability discussion.

This thing can switch into 22/45 of OU, a little under half.

That's pretty darn good if you ask me.

Persistent
Forewarn

I really like the idea of forewarn. Those Mences will hopefully use some of their unpredictablilty. In fact it could turn out to be something very useful. And persistent is a very Good Ability Idea.

This project is Create-A-Pokemon. I personally take that at face value. Let's create a Pokemon. That should be the only variable as far as I'm concerned. Not an attack. Not an ability. Not an item. I feel like we should play with the parts that Gamefreak has in the game and only those parts, and make a competitive, interesting new creature out of them.

Beyond that, by keeping to that, it keeps this as new player friendly as possible. Explaining a new Pokemon is one thing. "He's a Bug/Ice sweeper type." Having to continue that and say "He's a Bug/Ice sweeper type of Pokemon with this awesome new ability that means that he's immune to rock type damage on the switch in" is a whole 'nother thing. There's a lot bigger chance of someone saying "F this, that's dumb, all you guys are dumb" the more stuff we make stuff up.

If this was Create-A-Metagame, then I'd agree with you. I wouldn't like the purpose as much, but I'd agree with you. But we're inserting new Pokemon with the intent of modifying the metagame piece by piece. I think it should just stick with the Pokemon, and let them do the work.

That's my general opinion.
ಠ_ಠ

Gamefreak Decree: ALL POKEMON EVER CREATED MUST FALL UNDER OUR GLORIOUS FRAMEWORK OF MOVES AND ABILITIES. YOU PEASENTS CANNOT EVEN COMPREHEND OUR GRAND DESIGNS.

YES, WE HAVE THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING.

EIGHT LEGGED HAND SPIDER? WE THOUGHT OF THAT TOO, BEFORE ANY OF YOU. DON'T EVEN TRY TO GIVE IT ANY ABILITIES THAT SOMEHOW SPAWNED IN THOSE PUNY BRAINS. WE KNOW WHAT IS BETTER FOR IT.

WE WANT TAILWIND AND HEAL BLOCK TO BE NEAR-USELESS, IT IS FOR THE GREATER GOOD. DON'T YOU DARE BREATHE NEW LIFE INTO THOSE MOVES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)