CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 9 (Secondary Ability 2)

What should be our Pokemon's secondary ability?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
CAP 4 - Part 9 (Secondary Ability Poll 2)

Ok only now do I realise I can't undo my locks (in this section), so I decided I would just open the next thread a tad early. At the time of closing Vital Spirit and Frisk were the clear leaders with 55 and 65 votes respectivly. A nice lead on the next best competitor Unaware's 42. Vital Spirit was the only option within 10% of Frisk (the leader) and as such has moved on to the final round of voting.

Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed, Between -5 and -10 -- Slightly towards defence
Build Bias: Between 5 and 10 -- Slightly towards physical
Base Stat Rating: 300 to 419 -- Very Good
Base Stat Spread: 95 / 76 / 109 / 90 / 80 / 105 = 555 Speed Last.
Primary Ability: Persistent - When the Pokemon with this ability uses any of the following moves: Trick Room/Gravity/Tailwind/Heal Block/Safeguard, their duration is increased by 2 turns.

Vital Spirit, no doubt.

Frisk doesn't really provide much information most of the time, and Vital Spirit is a really nice ability to complement Persistent when the abilities it boosts are not used.

Voted Frisk, because IMO Vital Spirit is way too much, even for something meant to be Utility. We'd essentially be giving it immunity to all status, considering Burn wouldn't do much and Body Slam isn't common.

I voted for frisk, because it is the most fun ability to use. If we want this thing to absorb sleep we might as well give it sleep talk, although it is more of a hinderance considering is a support pokemon, i think that frisk will help it to support more.

I don't get the reasoning behind Vital Spirit. Can someone explain it to me?
Think it has something to do with it being a decent sleep counter as well as an utility.

Code:
Another interesting lesson that was spurred on by the polls. This is mostly pointed at Vital Spirit and it's usage. Opinions next to Pokemon are based on my own so I could be wrong.

Pokemon in OU with Sleep moves:
Breloom ~ Not much you or him can do.
Bronzong ~ Encore Bait
Gallade ~ stab Psycho Cut = Dead. Also has Ice Punch
Gengar ~ Faster and has HP Ice
Milotic ~ Can switch in on Hypnosis/Recover and Encore it, but the risk of  taking a stab Surf or an Ice Beam to the face isn't worth it at times.
Roserade ~ Possibly HP Ice to the face
Spiritomb ~ I would say Set-up fodder but watch out for Will-o-Wisp.
Yanmega ~ Can switch in but will Air Slash hax you to death.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
G_T is right. I voted for Vital Spirit. I guess I just like it better. Man, during the last couple of polls I kept flip-flopping. :justin2:

Vital Spirit because people won't waste time trying to Sleep him even if he doesn't have it. This is not like Sand Veil Duggy because trying to switch out doesn't waste a turn.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How exactly does it *screw* them. Giving away their item doesn't screw them if you don't have anything to stop them.

I'm looking at it this way.

If your other option is as awesome as Persistent, under what circumstances would you want to use this second ability?

In this sense, Vital Spirit is a much better choice than Frisk.

Frisk is awesome, but at the end of the day, you're only ever going to actually use the secondary ability because the CAP 4 moveset you're running doesn't actually have Trick Room, Gravity, Tailwind, Heal Block, or Safeguard, and you're stuck with it. Under this circumstance, Frisk will let you down much more than Vital Spirit. Chances are, the most useful it will ever be is when it tells you whether something has a Choice Scarf or not, and even that seems quite circumstantial to me. Even if you never get Spored, walking into battle (on all eight hands) with Vital Spirit will make you feel not only totally awesome, but ready for anything. It will also make sure that Gengar never spoils your plans, making it viable as a second choice even if you are running Safeguard.

Plus, having three immunities is awesome.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I meant in terms of "why the fuck would a pokemon that doesn't look like it would have vital spirit have it?" just because an ability is good doesn't mean it's justified. this thing has 8 hands. if you don't have an ability that focuses on hands that's just plain wrong.

vital spirit is just generic and doesn't fit our pokemon at all, it will make this guy close to uber.
lets just give it wonder guard and make a god tier for him.

It's funny how Wonder Guard actually wouldn't do shit for him. Well, it would, but it still has the nasty Ground/Ice/Water/Psychic weak.

I don't see how this thing gets Vital Spirit...

Um....He uses his hands to nick the foes item and checks what it is? now looking back i think i should have voted for vital spirit sure it would make him almost uber but considering the standard of the art i think this gets special mention-the art is good so now te ability and pokemon is good. I Hope this makes sense.

tennisace

Guys for the last time, this isn't going to be even close to uber, I don't know why everyone is stuck on saying it is.

Frisk would practically never be picked over persistent, which nullifies the point of even having a secondary ability. Vital Spirit isn't gamebreaking by a longshot either, it lets him come in on sleepers, many of which carry super effective attacks against him. Persistent will still be the more common choice given the fact that it aids him in most of his unique utility move combinations.

I meant in terms of "why the fuck would a pokemon that doesn't look like it would have vital spirit have it?" just because an ability is good doesn't mean it's justified. this thing has 8 hands. if you don't have an ability that focuses on hands that's just plain wrong.
That's why I've always said that Persistent should have another name. Even Overtime is more handsy than that … overtime … too many hands? :P

No, seriously. So long as we don't give this guy Tailwind, he won't be too fanboyish at all. Giving it Frisk is just a waste of an ability. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, nobody would ever use it unless they had no reason to use Persistent, and even then, it would never come in handy. (Haha, see what I did there? But fo' serious, y'all.)

Vital Spirit, no doubt.

Frisk doesn't really provide much information most of the time, and Vital Spirit is a really nice ability to complement Persistent when the abilities it boosts are not used.
You said it all. But Vital Spirit will only be usefull in a change, cause he can taunt almost any sleep inducer, bar ScarGar

IMO Vital Spirit seems to work better with it's main purpose is. It's typing gives it para immunity, and vital spirit gives it sleep immunity. Vital Spirit would actually increase the chances it has of fulfilling it's utility purposes, setting up trick Room, gravity, tailwind, heal block, or safeguard.Frisk is pretty cool too, but tbh I don't think it would be right for this CaP really.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I voted for Frisk, because the thing is a spider with long arms and hands and it would be a perfect candidate for Frisk. Vital Spirit makes absolutely no sense on this thing.

Vital Spirit is just dumb on a POISON SPIDER. The thing is underground in both of its pictures, why would it ever need to stay awake?

For the people who are voting Vital Spirit: why would you ever bring your utility pokemon in to get slept? Virtual status immunity on a support pokemon is pretty broken. Since it looks like it will be tough to OHKO this thing, there needs to be SOME kind of check against it. If you are trying to set up Trick Room, why would you ever try to do it against something with a sleep move? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)