CAP 5 CAP 5 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I seems most people agree that the new eyes are better on this design. I made some small changes to the proportions of the eyes, but most of you probably won't notice the difference.

Tennis, consider this version my final submission for now. I doubt I will make any more changes from here on out.

Doug's design is awesome and with the modification towards it's eyes, it's now shows more emotion than before. The only left from it is to see it in some combat scene to get a feel on how it use attacks and such.

Please tennisace... Would you change my official submit art for this one?

You should color it, too. Even if you don't think your coloring skills are too good (I find them god enough, actually), it's always better to have it colored than not.

This new pose is great, BTW, better than the first one.

Chrono, do you have any way to show how it would use special attacks, cause I dont see it being able to use Ice Beam or T-bolt.
I respond with reverse psychology: Can you show me how it would use physical attacks? Peck, Bounce, and Quick Attack/Extremespeed I can see; maybe something involving kicks/kicking; past that, I don't see much other physical stuff.

It might be helpful to know that the crystals on its back are, indeed, Quartz. (Helloooo Time Roar :P) I don't know about you, but I know I was brought up to believe that crystals hold magical powers. Using the crystal array on its back to channel energy, I can see it doing quite a lot more special attacks than physical ones. (Based on shape-design to movepool, here I want to make an analogy to Togekiss; of course forgetting the fact that Togekiss can somehow use Focus Punch, Brick Break, and Drain Punch with no hands.)

The way I see it, Rockstrich's quartz crystals would enable it to manipulate energy-based special attacks. Which means that, for example, we could easily give it Thunderbolt, Energy Ball, and many if not all of the pulses; energy pulsating through the crystal matrix and whatnot. If we use the spiritual properties some believe Quartz to have we could explain a whole rainbow of energy, including psychic ones (and possibly the reason why Rockstrich is alive in the first place.) Fire attacks are also going to be easy to give, as after all Rockstrich's body IS composed of Igneous rock ;)

I will not just leave it at there though, I will do my best to draw it in action when I settle on a final design. The special-bias will also make more sense when I tell you guys the backstory to it... poor thing, hunted to extinction... (we can still break the mold of the Rock type but still have it as part of the CAP's Generation-X Fossil mon, right?)

Can I just say these designs get better and better. Doug's looks amazing, although, I haven't quite picked up on what changed in regards to its eyes just yet.

Hi all, another newcomer to the CaP project here. Well, as a fakémon fan and creator I've actually been lurking around ever since day 1, but I only recently felt confident enough to participate. For my entry, I decided to use the aforementioned concept of quartz, taking it to the extreme by actually making a quartz clock. Okay, in real life it takes a finely cut crystal and an electric current for the quartz to be used to measure time, but this is pokémon and we can leave the science stuff aside. This pokémon's crystals vibrate through its own life force.

Now, this will need some justifications, competitively, aesthetically and flavor-wise. Here they are.
Special attacks may be launched from the jewel on its pendulum, its arms/hands (asymmetry intended, of course), its crystal bells, and/or its eye. It has a hollow body to imply low physical defense. As for the matter of speed... it doesn't look so fast, does it? Well, that's what you want your opponent to think! If we are willing to accept that this pokémon can control time (with a reduced sphere of influence, not to legendary levels like Dialga), then any amount of speed can be justified. It just slows time around it to be 'faster' than its opponents. So here it is, I hope you like it :)

Hi all, another newcomer to the CaP project here. Well, as a fakémon fan and creator I've actually been lurking around ever since day 1, but I only recently felt confident enough to participate. For my entry, I decided to use the aforementioned concept of quartz, taking it to the extreme by actually making a quartz clock. Okay, in real life it takes a finely cut crystal and an electric current for the quartz to be used to measure time, but this is pokémon and we can leave the science stuff aside. This pokémon's crystals vibrate through its own life force.

Now, this will need some justifications, competitively, aesthetically and flavor-wise. Here they are.
Special attacks may be launched from the jewel on its pendulum, its arms/hands (asymmetry intended, of course), its crystal bells, and/or its eye. It has a hollow body to imply low physical defense. As for the matter of speed... it doesn't look so fast, does it? Well, that's what you want your opponent to think! If we are willing to accept that this pokémon can control time (with a reduced sphere of influence, not to legendary levels like Dialga), then any amount of speed can be justified. It just slows time around it to be 'faster' than its opponents. So here it is, I hope you like it :)
Wow, that's the most creative idea I've seen so far. I really like it, good job! Oh, and welcome to the CAP project!

Please tennisace... Would you change my official submit art for this one?

Honestly, I really liked your bleached stone and blue gem coloration. It looked unusual for a rock type and added a touch of supernatural. I think you did a very good job with that color scheme.

Hehehe... competition in the quartz sector I do detect. Very original use of the crystals idea I must, I love it. My only qualms would be that it's SO unorthodox, that it might create a problem with fitting in perfectly. A lot of unusual-object pokemon are either dual-typed, often having (if not being solely) psychic. Looking at Clockmon, I can't help but classify it with Lunatone and Solrock... they way you drew the um, face; I can't help but thinking "Unown" :D

Design aspects aside, I think what I love most of all about it is the coloring. Did you do it entirely in ms paint/(whatever people use to pixel art)?

Thank you, Syprus and ChronoSquare for the positive feedback! And the constructive criticism, of course.

It is true that mine is a very odd looking pokémon, and you were right in comparing it to Lunatone and Solrock, ChronoSquare - I actually used them as references to keep the clock 'pokémon-ish'. However, even if its oddity doesn't take it very far in the polls, I'm already glad it got good comments.

You were also right about the coloring, I indeed made it in MS Paint, not with the standard pallette of course but by mixing the colors myself. I always do it that way, looking the right combination until I get the tone I want. Unfortunately, I never managed to master more complicated programs, but usually Paint is all I need.

@Caladbolg: I did a quick recolor of your easter island pokemon:

It's not bad, but I think this pokemon could use a different (darker?) stone on certain parts of the body, namely the forearms, lower legs, chest, hips, and head. If there's interest I'll consider improving it a bit.

I'd definitely like to see some alternative designs to this, it's got potential.

I never expected this many quality designs for a mono-rock special sweeper, really good stuff!

On another note, this would make a nice submission for a Rock-type/Sandstorm-form for Castform.

On another note, this would make a nice submission for a Rock-type/Sandstorm-form of Castform.
I lol'd at this. poor Castform, he finally get's a Rock form for sandstorm but turn out into such a weird creature that it's not even Castform anymore.

Code:
Trainer: Go Hippowdon!!! You too Castform.

Hippowdon: HIPPOWWWWDON!!!!!!
*sandstorm start a brewing*

Castform: Castform Cast.
*turned into Clockmon*

Trainer&Hippowdon: O_o

Rock Clock Castform: What? D:

Trainer: Sweet Jesus....do not want!!! D:
*call back Castform*

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus

It's not bad, but I think this pokemon could use a different (darker?) stone on certain parts of the body, namely the forearms, lower legs, chest, hips, and head. If there's interest I'll consider improving it a bit.
Please... feel free to improve it. I really need a colored version of this pokemon ---a colored version with a lot of support xD

this is awesome. better than i could ever do. but i think the lines should be yellow rather than light blue. i think that might make it look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)