CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13b (Name Poll 2)

What name should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

Top 4 now, single choice.

X-Act said:
I've been waiting for this discussion, as I have had a name for this guy for around 3 weeks now.

I would suggest the name Stratagem for this Pokemon.

It is a combination of the words 'strata' and 'gem', but it is also a word in itself. There are Pokemon names that are English words after all, like 'Electrode' or 'Ditto', so I don't see why not.

'Strata' are the various layers of rocks that are visible in some places, notably quarries. Since this Pokemon is Rock-type, it can be conceivable that this Pokemon lives among various rock strata.

'Gem' is obviously referring to its gems adorning its body.

And the word 'stratagem' itself means 'plot' or 'scheme'... something that this Pokemon might well be doing while battling!

I usually am not that good with names, but I think this name is very appropriate.
RiptideFugitive said:
A special attacking, fast rock type? Pah. Bolderdash.
Magmortified said:
I think this came up somewhere before (heard about it on the chat), but I support Rebble.

Rubble (which the thing looks like it's made up of), and it rhymes with pebble. But I think its real merit is in how the name actually kind of captures the concept of the Pokemon as well. Rebble, sounds like Rebel. What is CAP 5? A Pokemon built to go against the stereotypes of Rock Pokemon. To rebel against something is to defy a generally accepted convention (or one of its definitions, anyhow).
Caladbolg~ said:
Protolith. Proto, from Latin or Greek, I don't know, means First, and Lith, means Rock. "First Rock"... like Ancient [We can link that with the attack "Ancient Beam"]. It also sounds like Proton, a electric particle... We can link that with the Levitate Ability.

(protolith dark horse?)

I vote for Rebble. A very fitting and smooth name for this Pokemon.

I'd have no problems with Stratagem or Protolith, though.

Stratagem is the most fitting name out of these.

Bolderdash is excellent and would be fine as well, Rebble (as was mentioned in the previous thread) sounds more fitting for a prevo and Protolith, while flowing, sounds scatteringly referenced and would have fit Cadalbolg's art more than yDG's.

Bolderdash got my vote, its fun, its pokemony, and it's perfectly suited to a collection of rocks that move really fast.

Stratagem just doesn't sound like a pokemon name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)