CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 13b (Name Poll 3)

What name should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Break the Mold-Click here to see the full post.
latinoheat said:
Name: Break the Mold

Description:
An OU viable pokemon that goes completely against the stereotypes of its typing.
Type: Rock

Offensive/Defensive Bias: Offensive 20-40
Physical/Special Bias: Special -20 and lower
Base Stat Rating: Very Good
Base Stats:90/60/65/120/70/130 Speed Last
Primary Ability: Levitate
Secondary Ability: Technician

Art By yourDeadGrandad

Why must you all make my life hard? It didn't get over 50%, so new poll.

X-Act said:
I've been waiting for this discussion, as I have had a name for this guy for around 3 weeks now.

I would suggest the name Stratagem for this Pokemon.

It is a combination of the words 'strata' and 'gem', but it is also a word in itself. There are Pokemon names that are English words after all, like 'Electrode' or 'Ditto', so I don't see why not.

'Strata' are the various layers of rocks that are visible in some places, notably quarries. Since this Pokemon is Rock-type, it can be conceivable that this Pokemon lives among various rock strata.

'Gem' is obviously referring to its gems adorning its body.

And the word 'stratagem' itself means 'plot' or 'scheme'... something that this Pokemon might well be doing while battling!

I usually am not that good with names, but I think this name is very appropriate.
Caladbolg~ said:
Protolith. Proto, from Latin or Greek, I don't know, means First, and Lith, means Rock. "First Rock"... like Ancient [We can link that with the attack "Ancient Beam"]. It also sounds like Proton, a electric particle... We can link that with the Levitate Ability.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yay first post! Voting Stratagem. It seems more Pokemon-esque and its cool how it actually forms a real word.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
Nooooooo!

This will be a new "second place" for me!!!. [Now, I am the one who Never wins CAP polls].

Anyway, I prefer Protolith. For me, sounds like a pokemon.

I was studying Inmunology... reading Abbass' Inmunology when I readed the word "Proteolisis" [Protein destruction]... I kept the sound in my head, and I repeated so many times... And finally I get "Protolith", and I said: "Maybe, It can work for CAP5".

I don't see how my "Obsidius" didn't make to the first poll :( I guess it was because it was the last post on a page and no one noticed.

But voted for Protolith nonetheless, since it sounds proby.

I don't see how my "Obsidius" didn't make to the first poll :( I guess it was because it was the last post on a page and no one noticed.

Well those that were on the poll got good feedback from people.

If no one noticed, then... yeah... I guess that was the problem.

At any rate, I'm voting Protolith as to me that actually sounds more pokemon-esque than Stratagem.

I just don't see it actually: "Go Stratagem!" vs "Go Protolith!"

Stratagem sounds too broken up, whereas Protolith seems to roll off better, and seems to be better blended in among the names of the other pokemon.

Stratagem may be clever and wise... but it stands out so much, perhaps due to being so clever and wise, that it just doesn't blend in with the other names anymore.

Anyway, that's just my point of view. The only thing I have against Protolith is that it sounds a little like "Lilith", that pre-evo of Cradily (iirc), and makes them sound somewhat related when they aren't related at all (other than being rock types). Thus, that would be misleading.

Regardless, I still prefer Protolith moreso than Stratagem, since... well... I already stated the reason. Protolith doesn't stand out so much, and blends better. (Though I don't pronounce it Proto as in Proton. I pronounce it with the O as in "Spock". [both Os] So it sounds more like "prada" as opposed to "proto"). Nevertheless, I assume that's irrelevent, since that'd basically be a "different" name. And suggestion time is over. So... bleh. =P

That is actually a name for a Godzilla monster.

OT: Protolith because Stratagem sounds way to passive.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm voting Stratagem, but really, both of them are great. (Not like last time. Fidgit is a godawful name for anything other than a prevo.)

The way we should say is:

Stratagem is too humanised. Look, those pokemon creators never use real words, but slightly changed them:

Szicor --- Scissor
Lanturn --- Lantern
Tyranitar --- Tyranisaur
Electrode --- Umm, I don't know what I'm talking about...
Ditto --- Umm, I don't know what I'm talking about...

So I vote for the other. It is more Poky!

READ!

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Voting Stratagem. Sounds very meticulous, manufactured, very clean-cut. When i look at this thing, to me it looks like a learning-robot, a thinking machine from beyond the centuries who speeds around the earth destroying sentient life.

Somehow, Stratagem makes it seem more 'dangerous' than Protolith does.

The way we should say is:

Stratagem is too humanised. Look, those pokemon creators never use real words, but slightly changed them:

Szicor --- Scissor
Lanturn --- Lantern
Tyranitar --- Tyranisaur

So I vote for the other. It is more Poky!

READ!
Electrode --- Electrode
Voltorb --- volt orb
Beedrill --- bee drill
Golem --- Golem

I voted Stratagem for the exact same reasons as StrangerJoker did. It just works.

Having a repeat of the art poll? Except this time protolith is winning.
Go Protolith!
dear GOD, I hope that noone's trying to vote twice to get their one to win or anything like that. I don't really know which sounds more like a pokemon and don't really care either way, but if people are trying to cheat like they did on the art poll... D8

Oh, there is one I wish I would've thought of sooner, playing off a better wording of Stragem; Stragemite. I fail for not even trying at the name poll :(

voted stratagem because I could actually see someone throwing out a pokeball with rockmon in it and sending it into battle. It sounds like a good name

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like Stratagem. I was going to submit it myself in fact. I guess X-Act and I were unknowingly on the same wavelength with this thing.

Stratagem will also make for nice easy set nicknames like SpecsGem, BulkyGem, etc. I just can't see myself calling a set ScarfLith or CBProto... Considering that naming is completely flavor anyway --- stuff like cool set names is a perfectly logical voting criterion IMO. Go Gem!
;-)

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[14:56] <@Earthworm> vote protolith
[14:56] <@Raikage> what is a protolith
[14:57] <@Earthworm> it is a superior name to stratagem
[14:57] <@Az> Don't do it!
[14:57] <@Az> I'll explain why
[14:57] <@Raikage> I think strategem is better
[14:57] <@Raikage> it's a worrd
[14:57] <@Raikage> *word
[14:57] <@Az> "Protolith" conjures up ideas of "monoliths"
[14:57] <@Earthworm> no
[14:57] <@Az> large structures of rock
[14:57] <@Az> but this thing isn't huge at allll

[14:57] <@Earthworm> who cares
[14:57] <@Az> that name just doesn't feel right
[14:57] <@Raikage> Protolith means me think of protoman fused with lilith
[14:57] <@Az> Stratagem is perfect!
[14:57] <@Earthworm> protolith sounds less lame

Voted Stratagem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)