CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 2 (Primary Typing Poll 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This combination is actually starting to appeal to me in both a fanboyish and competitive way.
3 2x weaknesses isn't bad.
And having 4x resistance to Electric is something to get excited about.
Resistances:
Fire, Grass, Water, Electric (4x), and Flying.
Quite decent actually.
Hm... Works well against Infernape and most Celebi. Besides that, I don't see it being very useful defensively because Electric, Water, and Grass are almost always paired with Ice just because of the presence of the other Dragons. Flying is like the only type on this list that doesn't combo well to get an SE on the type combo.

You could wall Heatran, until he gets smart and Earth Powers / HP Ice's you.
Infernape can just Close Combat you for much more damage than on Salamence.
All bulky Waters and most offensive Water types run Ice Beam, so you can't wall them.
If you had Recover, you could probably Stall Celebi, until it CM's in your face.
Almost all Electric-types run HP Ice.
Only Flying types don't run a super-effective back up move.

1. Electric
2. Rock

A defensive electric type would be awesome. I love using Zapdos, Lanturn and Ampharos so this is like my dream. I could totally see it running Levitate or Volt Absorb.

Like most people have said, Sp. Sweeper or possibly even Sp. Tank. If the latter is chosen, I'd like to point out that Ancient Power is another Stab option along side Power Gem.

Due to the fact that we are "breaking the mold" of the type, I think the Pokemon should only have one typing.

This combination is actually starting to appeal to me in both a fanboyish and competitive way.
3 2x weaknesses isn't bad.
And having 4x resistance to Electric is something to get excited about.
Resistances:
Fire, Grass, Water, Electric (4x), and Flying.
Quite decent actually.
I'll do anything to keep that from happening. <<;;

Just like I did last time! :3

Seriously, this is exactly how people were acting last time with CAP 4. Remember Poison / Electric? Yeah, that never happened. I'm not saying you shouldn't speculate? But honestly, we're not there yet. The only thing we're deciding right now is what type we're going to break the mold with, not what has quad resistances to what. We'll get to that in the next poll. Besides, I don't want this thing to have a secondary type in the first place, so there. :P

Also, Dragons suck. I mean, really, what are we going to do with a Dragon? Once you've put in Dragon Dance, Outrage, and 600 BST, where do you go from there? I know we're breaking the mold and the whole point is that we wouldn't do that, but really, that's the whole point of Dragons. To have that done to them. In fact, Dragons are the mold. There's no point breaking the mold if you're going to do it with a Dragon.

seconding monotype statement.

the only way to not break the mold otherwise would be something like rock/ground. god knows we need more of those...

agreed. No speculation should be allowed about type combinations, except general ones like: a defensive fire type would be nearly impossible. I'm not even sure we should be specifying how it breaks the mold yet.

Also, Dragons suck. I mean, really, what are we going to do with a Dragon? Once you've put in Dragon Dance, Outrage, and 600 BST, where do you go from there?
Obviously what we need is a Dragon with 110 SpAtk/100 Speed and an Overheat clone plus Fire Blast to nuke Steels, since we've never had one of those before. Or something with 108/95/85 defenses that are flat out better than Swampert's, or maybe 91/95/100 with Roost, or 95/80/80 and Intimidate and Roost, I'm sure I've never seen a Dragon like that before. </sarcasm>

The existing OU Dragons already have it all, really. The last thing we need at this point is a Salamence-level special attacker with Nasty Plot and Aura Sphere or a bulkier-than-Garchomp Pokemon with piles of good resists, the ability to shrug off even the strongest Ice attacks readily, and Draco Meteor to slam any would-be Dragon switchins to boot. Having to compete with the existing 600 BST monsters to even get used makes it perilously easy for any new creation to slip over the brokeness line, or at least come close enough to generate mass complaints.

This is why I'd really, really, prefer a type where "breaking the mold" means something more creative than pushing the less emphasized stats of Salamence and co. from "very good" to "obscene".

agreed. No speculation should be allowed about type combinations, except general ones like: a defensive fire type would be nearly impossible. I'm not even sure we should be specifying how it breaks the mold yet.
*Pyroak sits in a corner and starts crying out of lack of appreciation*

I do agree with your point, however. It's premature (and goes against the rules), it threatens to derail a topic where discussion is still very much ongoing, and getting prematurely hyped up for any type combo at this stage is almost certain to end in disappointment.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Dragonite is also a hell of a supporting Pokemon.

You want to break the mold with Dragon?

That's kind of funny.

I just chuckled a bit.

For people wanting a support Dragon: Altaria would be one.
Altaria has a nice supportive move pool, and ability, but between its low HP for a wall and its weakness to stealth rocks and 4x weakness to ice it will die quickly trying to take hits most of the time. If a defensive dragon is made here it needs to not be 4x weak to something.

Also for those wanting a special fighting type
*Lucario

And I would call a bulky fighting type
*Revenankh

Not too much left to break the mold with fighting types I think, besides very fast and hard hitting, but Infernape is also a bit like that, so it would have to be even faster probably passing the 350 speed mark.

Choice 1: Ice
Choice 2: Rock

Ice because I really like the Ice type. Ice needs more love.

Rock because Rock types are horribly stereotyped. The only Rock-type special wall is Cradily, and although I've used SDily in OU, there aren't any Rock SAttackers. So Rock could use some special-oriented pokemon.

*Lucario
Yes but it's not very fast and it can be Special and Physical. We have been looking for a Special one that is crap at Physical

And I would call a bulky fighting type
*Revenankh
You have me there

Not too much left to break the mold with fighting types I think, besides very fast and hard hitting, but Infernape is also a bit like that, so it would have to be even faster probably passing the 350 speed mark.
Infernape can do that just not as pure Special attacking as people want
Just my 2 cents.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1. Steel
2. Dragon

Im hoping for a fast special attacking steel/dragon. Won't catch on but heres hoping:nerd:

Electric:
Too little electric types in the metagame, if you actually count properly. I want to see an electric that is super defensive, moving away from the speedy and high sp.att trend of electric types. Maybe an electric type with no weak (*Cough* Levitate *Cough*)

Dark:
Come on, let's admit it, dark types need some love. I want to see a sp.attcking dark type, veering away from the stereotypical physical dark types

Choice 1: Rock
Choice 2 Fighting

I know this vote has nothing to do with secondary type, but a rock/fighting would be a good combonation for our fast special sweeper. There is only one fighting type with base speed above 100 (Infernape), and only two that use their special attack stat, and even then they tend to be mixed or not using it (Infernape (mixape) and Lucario (SD Luke)).

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
*Lucario
No. That's not true. Lucario has 110 base Atk and 115 base SpA. There's no Fighting type having, say, 120 base SpA and 55 base Atk. You got it all wrong.

In short, Lucario is not a Special Fighting type; it is a mixed Fighting type, just like Infernape and Blaziken are.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1. Electric
2. Steel

I first wanted a Dragon, but after reading all the posts I realised that making a Dragonwould be not good, so I decided to vote for this 2.

Electric Wall, Speedy Special Steel Sweeper(call it S4) Something actually using Flash Cannon as good attack and slow bulky Electric would both Brake the Mold. I support monotype it would be the first one in the CaP.

1: Fighting
2: Rock

Special attacker; power gem,aura sphere etc.
That should go against the stereotypes of rock and fighting being phisical orrientated.

No. That's not true. Lucario has 110 base Atk and 115 base SpA. There's no Fighting type having, say, 120 base SpA and 55 base Atk. You got it all wrong.

In short, Lucario is not a Special Fighting type; it is a mixed Fighting type, just like Infernape and Blaziken are.
With Lucario being able to reach a max spatk of 361 with the addition of calm mind and Infernape being able to use nasty plot with a max spatk of 337 I am pretty sure that in the minds of the Pokemon creators they intended those to be "Fighting special sweepers" not just special alone, but with the useful ability of being able to also use their above average physical attack too. Being able to use both physical and special is very useful for a Pokemon, I don't really see the practicality of giving one Pokemon crap attack thats unusable and 10 more stats into spatk just because it fits the Smogon moderator ideas of what hasn't been done yet.

Now a very fast fighting Pokemon in general to add to the special attack would *sort of be breaking the mold, but not really as much as a special rock type would. All the other ideas really have already been done for the fighting type.

Also, when is this vote decided on? To me it looks like the topic creator can basically stop the poll whenever they're satisfied with the voting results. Isn't that a bit biased? I think there should be a set date/time at the beginning of each poll that says when it will end, either that or I just didn't know the standard way these CAP pokemon polls were decided.

With Lucario being able to reach a max spatk of 361 with the addition of calm mind and Infernape being able to use nasty plot with a max spatk of 337 I am pretty sure that in the minds of the Pokemon creators they intended those to be "Fighting special sweepers" not just special alone, but with the useful ability of being able to also use their above average physical attack too.
Both Lucario and Infernape also learn Swords Dance. They're both flexible enough to be able to function as pure Physical, Special, or Mixed Sweepers.
Although I'm not supporting it, making a Fighting type for this project where going Physical isn't a viable option is in line with the Break The Mold concept.

1. Dark
2. Electric

We really need a walling Dark type. Or even better, a Special Sweeper Dark type that isn't either Uber (Darkrai) or BL (Houndoom).

Besides, an Electric wall would be sweet. Possibly physical, with some tricks up its sleeve.

1. Dark
2. Electric

We really need a walling Dark type. Or even better, a Special Sweeper Dark type that isn't either Uber (Darkrai) or BL (Houndoom).

Besides, an Electric wall would be sweet. Possibly physical, with some tricks up its sleeve.
Walling dark type = drapion, and making a new special sweeper isn't breaking the mold

1. Electric
2. Rock

I would want an Electric wall, as you said before, preferably mono electric type though, with levitate or magnet rise. My other type would be a special rock sweeper, for sure.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
With Lucario being able to reach a max spatk of 361 with the addition of calm mind and Infernape being able to use nasty plot with a max spatk of 337 I am pretty sure that in the minds of the Pokemon creators they intended those to be "Fighting special sweepers" not just special alone, but with the useful ability of being able to also use their above average physical attack too.
You have no clue what the Pokemon creators had in their minds. So don't act like you are best friends with them and know what they think. If you read the forum rules, you'll see that we don't allow "rulebooking" -- which is presuming to know the rulebook Nintendo follows when making pokemon. Don't make statements like this in the CAP project. It is total bullshit.

Being able to use both physical and special is very useful for a Pokemon, I don't really see the practicality of giving one Pokemon crap attack thats unusable and 10 more stats into spatk just because it fits the Smogon moderator ideas of what hasn't been done yet.
That's a snide trolling remark if I've ever seen one. WTF does X-Act being a moderator have to do with anything? Do you think X-Act's mod status in any way gives him the ability to control the stats of this pokemon? It doesn't. I don't appreciate your insinuation that it does.

Also, when is this vote decided on? To me it looks like the topic creator can basically stop the poll whenever they're satisfied with the voting results. Isn't that a bit biased? I think there should be a set date/time at the beginning of each poll that says when it will end, either that or I just didn't know the standard way these CAP pokemon polls were decided.
Why don't you read the fucking rules or lurk more? The TL is well within his rights to control the polls and maintain the pace of the project. Also, if you want to call into question the policies of this project and suggest process changes, there is a whole different procedure for that. Once again, if you bothered to read the rules you would know that. Don't bring up stuff like this in specific voting threads, it is completely off-topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)