CAP 5 CAP 5 - Part 9 (Ability Poll 2)

What should the Primary Ability be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting myself from few threads ago for convenience.

Technician - would be an awesome ability. Remedying the low base power of Ancient Power, allowing for base 90 Hidden powers and maybe a small collection of lesser uses moves like, Shockwave, Dragonbreath, Silver Wind, Giga Drain ect.. The biggest problem with this though, that I feel has been over looked, is in fact Ancient Power's 10% stat up boost.

A boost in Speed means that no OU pokemon (bar Ninjask and Deoxys S) can out speed it even with a Choice Scarf. 50% extra power attached to base 120 Sp.att, that will likely already have STABed Ancient Power, Earth Power and a base 90 Hidden Power (wow that's a lot of "powers" lol) at least for type coverage. And with the extra boost in Defenses along with 90 base HP, not even things like Bullet Punch, Mach Punch or Vaccuum wave will take it down any more. It'll sweep entire teams just on that. No other user of AncientPower, OminousWind or Silver Wind can boast that. That is too much of a good thing, seriously...

DON'T create a new base 60 move to replace Ancient Power. Create a new base 90 move to replace it instead!!

This way the move will still function the same way as Technician'd Ancient Power (without the damn side effect) AND it will function on a second ability as well. Most likely Levitate.

1st: Levitate
2nd: Technician (this is assuming a new move is granted and ancient power is not actually in his move pool)

These two I feel can complement each other in a trade for switch in ability for power play. With Levitate, grant it moves like Lava Plume, Energy Ball, Signal Beam, Discharge, Shadow Ball, Extrasensory and Flash Cannon (all move with base 80 or less) to work with. While Technician can grant a plethora of Base 90 moves, often with added effects.

Basically,
Levitate - Less power more switch in capability.
Technician - More power/move flexibility, less switch in opportunity,
Once again quoting myself.

Note - I voted for Levitate because it should be it's primary ability, with Technician as the Secondary ability (or other ability should it make miraculous come back)

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
90 BP move sounds good and can work with both abilities, you are right Vividsketch. I voted Levitate and hope it wins, but even then Technician will be the second ability. It would use those rarelly used moves (Giga Drain, Signal Beam, etc.), but it would be to good with the stats of this CaP. Atleast it can't switch in, like with Levitate, on Ground moves.

In the End I voted Limber on it. I liked the Idea of Limber, which will allow it to switch in on things like Thunder Wave blissey and possiboly set up things like Nasty Plot, or go for a Head Smash. Although it does look like this thing should levitate, there are other things in Pokemon that look like they should levitate and don't so I think that I can get over that one.

Levitate, grant it moves like Lava Plume, Energy Ball, Signal Beam, Discharge, Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon (all move with base 80 or less) to work with.
With the addition of Earth Power (since it's a tutor move and all) I don't see any problem with that. Lave Plume and Discharge get special attention as I can see them being within it's movepool with ease.

While Technician can grant a plethora of Base 90(60), 82.5(55), and 75(50) moves, often with added effects.
That's depends on what it get. TM and Move Tutor moves can go because they don't interfere with it's level-up moves. The one that are affected by Technician and have some use to Rockmon are: Grass Knot, Hidden Power, Shockwave, Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Ancient Power, Air Cutter, Icy Wind, Vacuum Wave, Swift, Charge Beam, Water Pulse. Now with Technician you could abuse the hell out them in terms of power increase, but I personally don't see the use in that. I see people talking about abuse Hidden Power [insert type] at base 60, but in seriousness...what's the pros of lowing your stats by a few points just so you could abuse some minor power increase?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I never got an answer as to why Tinted Lens was ignored.

I have no intention of dropping this.

(if you did answer I didn't see it, so kindly refer me to the post)

I never got an answer as to why Tinted Lens was ignored.
TennisaceReallyNeedsToGetRidOfThoseMeaninglessNumbers said:
You want reasoning? Here's my reasoning then. I felt that there was more opposition for tinted lens than support for it. Same with Adaptability, more negatives than positives. Not because I thought it would be "broken", or that I just didn't want them in there (though I am against them on a voting level, I'm not denying that). I tried to make the list by how much support the abilities had. Before Aldaron and co jump all over me for Intimidate and Pressure, I considered them to have more support than opposition. The time to say that was in the thread. If you had all given me large posts on why it should have made the poll, then I would have added it. However, there seemed to be more people against them than for them. That's the inherent flaw with the ability poll: I have to subjectively pick a slate of options. If I just said that any ability was eligible, new abilities that may or may not have fit would be excluded, and an ability like Shadow Tag would win, no matter how broken it is. If I do a poll before a poll, that defeats the purpose of having a discussion thread, and created abilities would again get shafted, unless they were entered early on into the poll. Really, I'm sorry the ability you supported didn't make it. I'm not claiming my judgment to be perfect. I'm not saying I was completely right for leaving them off. What's important now is that I did leave them off, and gave you a list to pick from. Next time, I'll show my list during the discussion thread to make sure I didn't leave any out.
Gothic_Togekiss said:
Petope, you should also add the fact that Magnet Pull & Tinted Lens had plenty of support from members but was replaced by Intimidate, an ability that didn't even get any support with the ability discussion. Intimidate had only one supporter and his name is LOLMUDKIPZ, everyone that mentioned it was either 1) Listing it for flavor purposes which did not meant that they were support for a certian ability or 2) Wanted a special version of it.
Tennisace said:
In my defense, I assumed mentioning it in a post meant you supported it competitively. Or is this project now based on flavor only?

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I voted Levitate (before 68/68) because it would get rid of a major weakness to a very popular attacking type.

Technician is a great for secondary ability IMO.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Voted Levitate, I don't really want this to get Technician, and Levitate is a lovely ability competitively giving this thing a few chances to switch in. It also fits flavourwise but that is secondary.

For secondary ability... I will probably go with Aftermath or No Secondary Ability.

Edit:
There's gonna be a runoff poll between Technician and Levitate, right?
Yes, Tennis said it in the last post of the previous thread (That the top 2 would advance to a run off poll).

It seems pretty close between Levitate and Technician. I don't really mind which one wins. Both will be very useful.
However, I am starting to feel concern for this thing getting Ancientpower to use with Technician. Sure, the 10% all-round stat boost doesn't sound very likely, but it will happen, and Rockmon will probably be able to sweep entire teams when it does. I'll be fine with Technician as long as it doesn't get Ancientpower.
Instead, it should get a Rock-type equivalent of Psychic, which would be like Ancientpower with a Technician boost but without the insane side-effect.

I think Levitate should be a secondary ability because the primary ability should be something to help it land more powerful hits, so either Technician or Mold Breaker would be the best primary ability.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Man that's weak Tennis.

I am really disappointed. More opposition than support?

I'm calling bullshit.

but "anyway"

technician

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, let's assume CAP5 gets Technician and Ancientpower. And let's assume that Ancientpower's 10% chance effect occurs in its 8 PP. Take a look at the following:

Timid CAP5 w Life Orb, Technician, & +1SpA using Ancientpower vs Calm 0/176 Blissey - 25% - 29%

Hardly what I would call game breaking... think of it as a SpecsZam Psychic.

On that note there was quite a bit of opposition against technician, anyone opposing adaptability opposed tech...oh well.

RIP aftermath, you woulda been a fun interesting ability, but none of the CAP people want to try abilities that might not be so useful =[

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For secondary ability it has a decent chance, many people do not like Technician and may vote for Aftermath to keep it out.

Or maybe "No secondary Ability" will win out? It would be the first CaP to have one ability, which would be interesting.

Shade you're absolutely right, it just didn't occur to anyone that it might actually perform well without a very useful ability...
Either way I'll be voting for no secondary ability, as it'd be something new and something like aftermath, which I wanted before, would be useless next to levitate or technician

Okay was into it in the sart then I died out when my computer broke so Im going with levitate it seems mos oppisite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)