Status
Not open for further replies.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Our Pokemon so far:

Name: Kitsunoh

Name: Ultimate Scout
Description: A Pokemon that is very capable of forcing the opponent to reveal vital information about their team members and their moves using various techniques.
Type: Steel / Ghost
Ability: Frisk / Limber
Stats: 80 HP / 103 Atk / 85 Def /55 SpA /80 SpD /110 Spe

Use the clicky poll above to vote for your favorite sprite.

Before voting, I encourage everyone to look at both sprites again carefully. Avoid quick glance decisions.

Wyverii. A very, very professional job. I'd think it's an authentic sprite straight from the game if I didn't know better. Fantastic pose, great art, fantastic colors (imo). The back sprite easily tops aragorn's. His just seems like it would overcrowd the screen.

I don't see how she didn't sweep in the last poll. I'm not saying that aragorn's is bad (because it's not; if it was, it wouldn't be here), but Wyverii's sprite job is unmatched in quality and design this time around.

Don't give in guys. Wyv can still win it.

(I can't believe some people choose aragornbird because Wyv's is "too bright." This is going to be a contest of colors x_x)

EDIT: I know people can use whatever reasoning they please, just stating my view.

though i love the colors aragonbird chose (especially for the shiney), the pose wyverii used just appears more animated.

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going with Wyverii. It's awesome. Reason being similar to Veedrock's; pose, colours, etcetera. Good job.

No doubt that aragonbird's sprite submissions are fantastic also, though!

aragornbird gets my vote, but it's close- both of the sprites are wonderful. Aragon's edges it out marginally because of the pose, and I think Wyverii's color choices are a smidgeon too light for my tastes, especially on a ghost-type.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voted Wyverii.

I prefer the backsprite, though I like aragornbird's colors a bit more.

they are both fantastic - in fact, wyverii's front sprites with aragornbird's backsprites would make it perfect. but, it doesnt work that way.
so - voting aragornbird.

Voted for aragornbird. My reasoning is the same as always:

Both sprites are incredibly well done, and achieve their quality in vastly different ways. To prefer one over the other is a subjective opinion, as both are perfect in their own executions. (I've, unfortunately, almost completely eliminated my feelings of preference to equal but different works of art, so I lack any subjective preference in that regard.)

However, aragornbird's fits in with GameFreak's spriting style most. I'm of the opinion that artwork designed for a larger creative work should remain as cohesive with the overall style as possible. And so, that is who I support.

If you want to vote for the sprite that you think looks the "best" or "coolest" (in a strictly aesthetic sense) and you prefer Wyverii's work over aragornbird's, then that's a fine and perfectly valid reason. However, if you're voting for a sprite that "looks like it came from the game" only, then I would go for aragornbird.

(And that's not a knock against Wyverii; obviously, what she's doing is working out for her, vote-wise.)

I can't believe some people choose aragornbird because Wyv's is "too bright." This is going to be a contest of colors x_x)
Unfortunately I'm guilty, it just doesn't seem like a ghost enough because of it, and aragornbird's is pretty damn good itself so I voted for his

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
If Wyverii don't win, I will be upset because then our tie will never break. ._.

My thoughts:

Aragornbird:
+ Front sprite edges out Wyverii's due to a well-executed, dynamic pose.
+ Normal color job is closer to the ghostly original artwork and does a better job of fitting alongside in-game sprites.
- Shiny color, while admittedly more ghostly than Wyverii's, simply appears uninteresting to me.
- The back sprite lacks a distinguishable right shoulder (I'm not talking about the mask), which is inconsistent with the broad-shouldered and more predatory front sprite. I could not enjoy viewing this every time I sent it out.

Wyverii:
+ Well-done and consistent back sprite. I could enjoy seeing this when on the field.
+ Front and back sprites exhibit equal attention to detail.
- Colors do little to represent the ghost typing.

Congrats to both of you on your excellent submissions. After looking objectively at all sprites and weighing their pros and cons, my vote goes to Wyverii.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Obviously, when you get to the final two of a competition that had so many quality entries to begin with -- it will be quite difficult to determine which one is "better".

I think Wyverii's sprites are the best sprites I've ever seen submitted in CAP history. Both back and front. No offense to past sprite winners (myself included) -- but Wyverii has created a set of sprites for Kitsunoh that set a new standard of excellence for the CAP project. Her sprites are so amazing, I did not even bother to enter. And I consider myself to be a decent spriter. But I know there was no way I could come anywhere close to what Wyverii made this time.

Wyverii has always been an accomplished spriter. Heck she's already won this thing twice in the past. I now realize that those past sprites were done with Wyverii spriting concepts that were not in her sweet spot style-wise. Kitsunoh is so well-suited to her style, it has created a "perfect storm" -- one of the best pixel-artists in Smogon, getting served up a near-ideal design for her style. You are now seeing Wyverii's full spriting capability on display here. It doesn't get any better than that.

I just hope to god we don't make any more four-legged furry animals in the future. Wyverii is just too good at that sort of thing. Give the rest of us a chance next time, please?

Yeah, I'm voting Wyverii for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)