CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 15b - New Move Poll

Which New Move should CAP 7 have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Err, yea a 50% chance to drop defense can be easily offset by a 5% accuracy loss. The only move with a 50% chance of defense drop is Rock Smash, there's a reason it's only 40 power.

Rift Hop is a far superior option, being more powerful than U-Turn, yet allowing a counter to come in easier. Exactly what a scout should be doing.
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/crushclaw.shtml

Crush Claw:
Base Power: 75
Accuracy: 95
PP: 10
Effect: May lowers opponents DEFENSE 1 Stage
Effect %: 50%

You're welcome, billy.

Voted Shadow Strike. Anything with more BP than this is too powerful on a pokemon that just screams to used as a Choice Bander, ala 103 atk, 110 spe, 8 resistances and 3 immunities, along with resistance to Stealth Rock. Since this pokemon already has U-Turn, I don't see a point in denying this CAP a decently powered STAB move just to give it an attack it already has.

@ billymills: Crush Claw also does that at 75 BP. 80 BP isn't too bad.

Shadow Strike gets my vote >> Rift Hop. If your scared about SR and Spikes and whatnot, just don't use overly SR weak Pokes, nab a Wishpasser, or get a Rapid Spinner. Not that difficult.

Lots o' text

Well basically I threw out anything that is "STAB <existing attack>" That means no Phase Attack, Barrel Roll, Soul Forge, Phantom Energy, Trounce, or Pandemonium.

This thing already has U-Turn, boo hoo that it doesn't have STAB. I don't really like those submissions. Maybe if this Pokemon had less Base Attack.

Shadow Strike is borderline with similarity, but I dislike it's huge chance to lower defense. This Pokemon is already really strong, and with the chance to improve it's damage output, couple this move with entry hazards and you can cause teams to fall.

Rift Hop is borderline too, but it opens up chances for things like Salamence or Gyarados to get in easier. I'd be fine if it was for Spikes alone, but doing it for SR is a bit much IMO. Also, "this thing already has U-Turn, boo hoo that it doesn't have STAB."

Shade Impact is cool, but it doesn't encourage switching as advertised. It allows for a "free" switch to a resist pretty much. I'm not going to switch around 8 times waiting for this thing to run out of PP while entry hazards wear me down. Too strong without enough drawback.

Phantom Cleave is a stronger STAB Stone Edge (just an accuracy and effect reference). Too strong without enough drawback.

I like Spook, though I feel the secondary chance is too high. However, it is the only thing I'm comfortable with excluding "copied" moves. As such, Spook got my vote.

Not getting the appeal of Rift Hop. If it was a bit stronger, maybe, but as is, it doesn't seem appealing enough to me. It's taking up my Ghost STAB moveslot and giving me a move that's even weaker than Shadow Claw, which itself is mediocre as a STAB move. I really would rather run Shadow Claw + U-turn to Rift Hop because it achieves the same general result without quite as bad of STAB. No STAB on U-turn, true, but that's a small price to pay, IMO, since the point of U-turn isn't to do massive amounts of damage anyway, but rather to just give a hit as you switch out and to scout predicted switches.

The entry hazard thing isn't even a factor to me, as you have to switch in CAP7 to take advantage of it, meaning it will have to take full damage from them first. Plus, CAP7 isn't a tank, so it can't keep switching it in to take advantage of it, meaning you won't get too many chances to use it. Thus, the gain from it won't be that much, especially if you have to switch to a Pokemon like Lucario to deal with what your opponent has out at the time, which will just take 2% less damage from Stealth Rock.

Shadow Strike, however, fixes up an actual problem that this thing has: poor Ghost STAB, by giving it a better option than Shadow Claw. This will allow it to be more threatening, which I feel to be more important than giving it a STAB U-turn that's weaker than one of it's other STAB moves. Plus, it will also help it scout better in the same moveslot, with the chance of causing switches due to the defense drop.

Thus, I'm going with Shadow Strike.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I really wish that people would stop thinking that Rift Hop's main goal is to reduce entry hazard damage. It isn't. It's main purpose is to scout the opponen't switches, much like U-Turn, and has the added bonus while suffering from slightly lower base power (10 BP) than U-Turn (although this is made stronger than U-turn with STAB).

So if your main reasoning for not voting for it is "I don't care about Stealth Rock", then you might want to rethink your vote! Stealth Rock just happens to be the most prevalent move in the current metagame, so this effect is just a slight bonus.

I really wish that people would stop thinking that Rift Hop's main goal is to reduce entry hazard damage. It isn't. It's main purpose is to scout the opponen't switches, much like U-Turn, and has the added bonus while suffering from slightly lower base power (10 BP) than U-Turn (although this is made stronger than U-turn with STAB).

So if your main reasoning for not voting for it is "I don't care about Stealth Rock", then you might want to rethink your vote! Stealth Rock just happens to be the most prevalent move in the current metagame, so this effect is just a slight bonus.
qft. #cap supports Rift Hop and so do I!

also I feel sort of bad for starting a bandwagon but oh well

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
is there any reason why there are no steel moves?

I really wish that people would stop thinking that Rift Hop's main goal is to reduce entry hazard damage. It isn't.
im sorry you feel that way, but face it, the main goal of this move is to reduce entry hazard otherwise theres no reason to take this over u-turn.

so your first point was that the main goal wasn't to ignore entry hazards, and its basically like u-turn. then the second point was that you should vote for it BECAUSE of entry hazards....
so entry hazards aren't the main point, but it is why we should vote for it. i'm sure you can see how those points contradict each other.

edit @ atlas-b/c most of the moves that were submitted had both steel and ghost versions, but steel already has good STABs in both iron head and MM

As I said earlier, I think that Shadow Strike is a far superior option. I don't see why everyone is voting for Rift Hop, even though it halves entry hazard damage. If you're scared about SR and whatnot, you can use a Wish passer like Jirachi to recover the damage lost, you can use a Rapid Spinner like Donphan, Starmie, or Foretress, or you could just not use pokemon that are overly weak to SR, like Flygon, Swampert, etc.

Rift Hop is exactly the kind of move a scout should have; a STAB U-Turn with a bonus of allowing your next Pokemon to get in safely.

Rift hop got though and mine didn't? oh well Paranoiac slash didn't get any support as it is :/ any way i voted for Pandemonium.

I'll be happy with any move that does not make CAP7 or the opponent automatically switch out, simply because if we wanted a STAB or somehow improved U-turn, we should never have allowed U-turn in the movepool in the first place. I voted Spook by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)