CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 3 - Secondary Type Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my biggest prob w/ground:
Celebi. So far Celebi checks 1/3 of CAP. The CAP Metagame will become more unbalanced if Celebi can check CAP7 so easily. Ghost can easily check Celebi, and although HP Fire will get it either way, CAP7 can take down Celebi with speed or with prediction.

Here's my biggest prob w/ground:
Celebi. So far Celebi checks 1/3 of CAP. The CAP Metagame will become more unbalanced if Celebi can check CAP7 so easily. Ghost can easily check Celebi, and although HP Fire will get it either way, CAP7 can take down Celebi with speed or with prediction.
Celebi isn't a problem. When you see it in CAP, it's mainly on regular OU teams. They aren't meant for the CAPs, they just happen to do well. They can be dealt with by Zapdos, Tyranitar, Scizor, Heatran. Sound familiar? They're some of the most used Pokemon in OU as well as CAP. Not like Celebi is a beast that has no checks, the checks are everywhere.

And this is a scout. They usually carry a move known as "U-Turn" to be successful, it's a Bug type move. It is 4x effective on Celebi, so good luck surviving if this ends up having decent attack.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Celebi isn't a problem. When you see it in CAP, it's mainly on regular OU teams. They aren't meant for the CAPs, they just happen to do well. They can be dealt with by Zapdos, Tyranitar, Scizor, Heatran. Sound familiar? They're some of the most used Pokemon in OU as well as CAP. Not like Celebi is a beast that has no checks, the checks are everywhere.

And this is a scout. They usually carry a move known as "U-Turn" to be successful, it's a Bug type move. It is 4x effective on Celebi, so good luck surviving if this ends up having decent attack.
Celebi is largely a fatass and even STAB U-Turn's coming from pokemon not named Scizor usually fail to OHKO it. 70 BP is just not enough Base Power for a primary STAB. Either way, Celebi will have to watch its back if its carrying Choice Band or Snatched a Swords Dance or something.

I'd just like to point out that accusations of fanboyism against anyone voting Ghost is both a bit of logical fallacy and entirely unjustified.

Steel/Ghost is just as competitively viable for a scout as Steel/Ground is, if not more so. The typing is not just supported by users with low post counts (as if that is a golden indicator of competitive knowledge anyway >_>) but also forum mods like DJD and Mekkah. There may be bandwagoning going on, but lets leave the fanboy jibes out.

I'm pleased that CAP is finally creating a Psychic resistant poke with SE STAB.

Psychic as an attacking type has been hugely buffed by Psychic weak CAPs, as indicated by X-Act's helpful Common Moves thread. 8th most used Attacking Move is huge!

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
U-Turn is going to do a HUGE amount of damage to Celebi provided we give this around 95 Attack or so. Flygon takes neutral damage from Celebi and it checks it quite nicely. If anything, I'd argue that Steel/Ground is a much better switch-in to Celebi than Steel/Ghost because it has a Thunder Wave immunity.

Why does this thing need to fare well against Celebi at all? What sets does it run that requires so much scouting? Sure, it's got tons of sets, but really they can be sorted into "special attacker" or "defensive support", you should be seeing what set it is the first or second turn assuming it's not using GK against a water poke.

One thing that might seem odd is that we might want this thing to be Thunder Wave. While it would then be hit with x2 pursuit on the switch with u-turn or baton pass, it would also be able to take the attack instead of the counter being sent in, leaving a healthy monster ready to attack. Besides, this could allow certain chances to see whether things like bliss are running toxic or Thunder Wave. It could also work at this point as a status absorber giving it free switches.

While I know I only have a post count of something like 6, I've purposefully stayed out of CAP since halfway through Stratagem, when there was the debate on whether to give it the 40 BP priority fire move pretty much to specifically counter Scizor. I've watched to make sure I at least believe I know what CAP is about. There are probably more low post count people like me than just new people jumping in and saying "a steel/ghost would be cool!" than thought of.

Oh, and I do try to get on the server, but i'm fairly busy so I don't get on often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)