CAP 7 CAP 7 - Part 5 - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plus, I know it's offensive
You're previous post said the exact opposite. Regardless, I believe the general concensus is that Levitate would be too overwhelming.

While I did say Frisk earlier and believe it should be an option, kaon has a wonderful point; Limber is another great ability to be considered. One of the primary reasons I voted for ground was for Thunderwave immunity, and Limber would remove that worry entirely. Limber + that typing makes Blissey this pokemon's set up bitch.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Frisk is so appropriate for a scout, it's almost too good to be true. And in a metagame that is rife with Trick, it's timely too. I just can't see any other ability on our Scoutmon.

If we had to pick another ability, I would go with Clear Body. This pokemon will hopefully be a physical hitter, and I want it to be able to scout Salamence and possibly threaten. I realize that's a tall order, since Mence carries EQ and a fire move in most cases. But, if we get in on a dragon move, and we will likely outspeed it (based on current suggested spreads) - then perhaps we can do something to it. Mence has Intimidate, which makes a tough job even tougher. Clear Body solves that part of the problem.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frisk is too good to pass up on this pokemon, with all the trickers around.
Limber also doesn't sound half bad, having immunity to t-wave and toxic would be awesome.

I support Frisk, Forewarn, Clear Body, and Trace for reasons previously mentioned many times. A few other abilities that have been mentioned that I'd like to bring more positive attention to are Sticky Hold and Natural Cure.

Sticky Hold would be nice for scouting Trick users (and Knock Off users, to a lesser extent), as everyone knows a <insert your favorite wall> with a Choice Scarf is something to be avoided at all costs.

Natural Cure would be good so that CAP7 wouldn't have to worry about status when switching in to scout. We'd have to give it a more ominous name though, as "Natural Cure" sounds rather pleasant and not at all spooky or metallic.

A few abilities I'd like to bring more negative attention to are Speed Intimidate (or "Petrify" as has been suggested), and Levitate

Speed Intimidate would, I think, be a broken ability. CAP7 would be an instant counter to any sweeper that requires speed to do its job (i.e. 95% of them, notably Dragon Dancers). The Choice Scarf would become much less popular as all your opponent has to do is switch in CAP7 and the positive effects of the Scarf are nullified. Nothing should have that much countering ability.

Levitate would be unacceptable if CAP7 is going to have defensive stats. It would have 4 immunities, two of them (Fighting and Ground) being very popular. If CAP7 is going to be offensive, with low defensive stats, then Levitate would be OK, as it would only ensure safe switch-ins, but CAP7 would still be able to be KOed by neutral moves.

Levitate would be unacceptable if CAP7 is going to have defensive stats. It would have 4 immunities, two of them (Fighting and Ground) being very popular. If CAP7 is going to be offensive, with low defensive stats, then Levitate would be OK, as it would only ensure safe switch-ins, but CAP7 would still be able to be KOed by neutral moves.
Actually, CAP7 is currently leaning toward offense. Immunities and resistances help it to switch in and scout, though I would like to point out once again that being immune to STATUS would be more helpful.

I'd like to see a Pokemon that can wield Frisk well. Also fits in with a couple of artworks. Other than that, Filter is my second choice for being to switch in a bit easier.

I had an ability in mind that could make the pokemon alot more versitile.

Pure Speed (like pure power but just for speed). If we give CAP7 a pretty low base speed like 50-60. It could play really slow or really fast (this only works if it gets another ability ex. Clear Body that won't affect speed at all.). And because your oppnent don't know if your really fast or really slow the mind game of the scoutmon begins. You know there is quite few slow U-turners (the only two slower than 80 base speed being Scizor and Vespqueen). And being able to take a hit and then switch to a good counter isn't bad at all. If CAP7 switched in opponent switched to heateran. The oppnent know that if your have the fast one you'll only U-turn to a good bulky water ex. swampert. So it would probobly be better to attack with HP Grass insted of Fire blast/Flamethrower. But because CAP7 can be both it could be slower and expect the HP grass and stay in and U-turn after the attack.

Ok hopefully you got my point. I think that being able to choose if you want to play it slow or fast makes it more versitile and unpredicteble.
I give my full support to this one but the idea would be to find the perfect counter ability. Something like filter or solid rock. So either you are going to be outspeed with Pure Speed and have nasty things be done to you by scoutmon or he is not outspeeding you but walling you, or something like that.

Although the second ability should probably be something else. But I like Pure Speed. It also saves us a few dozen points on the BST since it doesn't need to have a ludicrous base speed stat.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Frisk is my primary choice for an ability.

I have a unique idea in mind for another ability, however.

A Defensive Download

Basically you would switch in and your defense or special defense would increase depending on your opponent's higher offensive stat.

Unlike Download, which generally gives you useless information (your opponent is either a physical or special wall, or a sweeper where an attack boost doesn't help), this ability would allow you to switch into more opponents and discern their item. This wouldn't be as useful for TTar, since Boahtar usually runs Brave anyway, but would be supremely useful for scouting Infernape, Salamence, Lucario, Scyclant and all the other mixed attackers in OU.

In the meantime, I plan to oppose all stat-up moves, and don't believe this will be strong enough offensively to begin sweeping with a mere +1 Def or Sdef to stave off attacks.

Tentative name: Scouter. (What does the Scouter say? It's Special Attack level... its OVER 9000!)

Sticky Hold: Trick is getting out of hand, and OU needs a way to deal with it without being forced to keep a choice user on every team. Knowing your opponent's choice item isn't all that useful if they stick it to you. Offensive pokes with Trick create serious guessing games, and a defensive sticky hold poke is the only way to scout them. Cap7's typing would make it ideal for this task, as most of the pokemon that use Trick are throwing around Psychic, Steel and Dragon Attacks.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Obligatory Frisk and Forewarn mentions.

Maybe another ability that tells us the largest stat of the foe would be also cool.

Forwarn would help this pokemon tell opponents best moves. This could help with Salamence (e.g. Draco meteor or outrage.) In the long run, it might be better than Frisk.

EDIT:Although, now that I think about it, Arena Trap would help scoutmon scout. Why? Because arena trap is almost always a good ability. Proof is that Dugtrio is in ou, when it only has a bst less than ponyta.

Forwarn would help this pokemon tell opponents best moves. This could help with Salamence (e.g. Draco meteor or outrage.) In the long run, it might be better than Frisk.

EDIT:Although, now that I think about it, Arena Trap would help scoutmon scout. Why? Because arena trap is almost always a good ability. Proof is that Dugtrio is in ou, when it only has a bst less than ponyta.
Arena Trap would NOT help scout, as scouting requires that your opponent be able to reveal more of their team. They can't do that if they're trapped, can they?

Obvious abilities are anything that reveals information about the opposing team (Forewarn/Frisk, Download/Offensive Download), provides an incentive to switch out (Intimidate mainly), or provides an immunity (Immunity/Insomnia/Limber/Quick Feet (better than limber, since it turns Paralysis into a status block and speed boost, while simultaneously providing some bonus from other status effects), Flash Fire/Motor Drive/Water Absorb/Volt Absorb/Levitate, Natural Cure to another extent).

Another ability that bears merit would be something like this: When this Pokemon Switches in, automatic Taunt on the Defending Pokemon.
An alternative to that would be this: This Pokemon is immune to the effect of non-damaging attacks from the opposing Pokemon.
The second version protects ScoutMon even if they switch out, but cannot stop stat-uppers, and does not have a duration that wears off (if it were programmed exactly like Taunt, where it has a 3-5 turn duration).
The first version provides the ability to scare off walls, as being stuck in without the ability to recover or status hampers many of them. The second version works as a catch-all protection against Status effects (except as secondaries, from things like Thunder/Discharge), but still allows healing and entry hazards to be set up. The first also bears mention as a catch-all way to prevent Leads from setting up Stealth Rock.

How about creating a new ability, Bypass (credits for TUCAP for creating the ability) which ignores the opposing's Pokemons held item.

Frisk. As stated before in a previous thread, a non-useless lead Banette would be a wonderful thing to have. ;D

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
dk's idea would be interesting, but it may have problems with mixed attackers. not a bad idea though.
That's actually part of the point. It lets you know which stat the Mixed Attackers have invested more in. The Mixed Attacker can probably still hit your weak defense, depending on type.

Say for example your opponent KO's a pokemon with Mixape's LO Close Combat (he took LO Damage)

There are two Mixapes (3 counting NP), all use Close Combat.

If it's physical Mixape, you get a defense boost. If It's standard or NP, you'll probably be eating Overheat or Flamethrower if you don't switch, but now you know you can send in a fighting-resistant (and preferably fire resistant too) physical wall.

If it's special Mixape, you get a special defense boost. You probably still don't want to eat Flamethrower, but you can send in your Thick Fat SpD Hariyama in and force it out.

That's a mid-battle scenario. What if you lead Scoutmon and your opponent has a leading Infernape? Basically if you get a defense boost, its either SDApe or CBApe. All the rest invest more in SA.

If you had Frisk, you would know the item. LO lets you know its mixed (in some form), Sash tells you its Lead, and then of course, are the Choice Items.

So both potentially offer you unique information about your opponents.

so it work by giving a clue, but not the whole picture...

i like it. since the way it works out isn't broken then i have no qualms supporting it.

but i'm not sure about calling it scouter...

What about an item that destroys the item that a Pokemon tries to Trick onto this Pokemon?

Example:

Azelf uses Trick!
CAP7's <ability> destroys enemy Azelf's Choice Scarf.
So, CAP7 keeps it hold item, and destroys (removes permanently from the battle.)

It's like a Sticky Hold, but destroys the enemy's item as well. This could force some switches, because many Trickers can't hurt a Steel/Ghost very much. And, if we go with the Offensive split, CAP7 can hurt them for staying in.

Another ability could let CAP7 use a choice item, get the boost, but not be locked into one attack. So, he could attack, and trick to force switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)