CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 2 - Main Typing Poll

What should be CAP 9's Main Typing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Select one typing for CAP 9 out of Normal, Ground, or Dark. You may post here, only remember that the same rules apply from last time:
  • We will not allow posts such as "I voted typing." Put some substance into your post.
Concept:
moi said:
Name: Stop the Secondary
Description: A Pokémon that through means of ability, moves, and typing, can stop a variety of the non damaging affect of moves and moves of non damaging origin.

Justification: While the immediate threat of damaging moves is large and present, the affect of moves such as status, Trick, Leech Seed, Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spikes have arguably had a greater affect to the metagame than anything has ever had, something that this would greatly look in to.

Questions to be Answered:
~ How easily would a Pokémon with such large of a niche be able to fit into a competitive team?
~ How large of an impact would the reducation of non damaging affects and moves have on the metagame?
- What, if any, would happen to the types of teams being used?
- How would this affect the usage of these types of moves?​
~ How much of an affect does typing have on the ability for ANY Pokémon to perform this duty?
Also, be sure to check this thread if you are looking for some discussion on typing. Posting there is encouraged!

This poll will close on October 2, 6:00 PM EST.

Before everyone whines about "why is Steel not in the poll" let me just say that there wasn't enough reasoning to include it. The Main Type Discussion thread existed so users could prove to the TL that their typing deserves a spot on the poll. In this regard, only Dark, Ground and Normal were convincing.

I voted Dark.

Normal really seems inferior to Dark, in that the defensive trade-off is one weakness (Bug) in exchange for two resistances (Dark and Ghost, Psychic replaces Ghost as an immunity). On top of that, Dark has a much better STAB.

I voted Dark as well.

Being that I was thoroughly convinced by the end of the thread. Overwhelming support, key points, and well thought out ideas and descriptions by more than a few people were enough to convince me to vote Dark. I was even a supporter for it from the start.

I voted Ground. The Stealth Rock and Sandstorm resistance/immunity are nice, and Ground is a great STAB type. Not to mention immunity to Electric attacks.

Most of the time i just lurk, but im not completely uninformed.
Voting for DARK because it offers the lack of weaknesses normal does.
Also, if this pokemon is going to want to invest in its defenses (likely), then it will probably appreciate the STAB boost on Pursuit

It was brought up in the other thread that Scizor can abuse pursuit well even though it isnt dark type, but then again remember that it carries max attack and a choice band.

If pursuit wants to see any kind of power here, i think CAP 9 should be dark type.

Normal is a typing I don't see why one would really support right now. Its just a more bland Dark, as they both have similar weaknesses/resists. Ground isn't that bad, but it doesn't stand out in anyway. Sure its immune to T-Wave and it resists Stealth Rock, but I don't see anything eyepoping in that. If this were Ground typed, it would likely be similar to Hippo or Gliscor... meaing we wouldn't learn much. There aren't any viable Dark-types with even mediocre defenses besides T-Tar.

Voted Dark btw.

Normal is a typing I don't see why one would really support right now. Its just a more bland Dark, as they both have similar weaknesses/resists. Ground isn't that bad, but it doesn't stand out in anyway. Sure its immune to T-Wave and it resists Stealth Rock, but I don't see anything eyepoping in that. If this were Ground typed, it would likely be similar to Hippo or Gliscor... meaing we wouldn't learn much. There aren't any viable Dark-types with even mediocre defenses besides T-Tar.

Voted Dark btw.
Don't hate on Spiritomb and Umbreon...and maybe Drapion.

Anyways, I voted Ground, I like the balance it provides, it's a well rounded type for this kind of thing.

Dark, for all the reasons discussed in the previous thread. Normal seems to have no obvious benefits over Dark, in my eyes. You are effectively exchanging neutrality to the Bug type for a far more useful STAB and immunity to Psychic. I feel as though the job of "stopping the secondary" will be more effectively carried out by the Dark type.

Voted GROUND.
As I said before Magic Guard seems like a logical ability, and thus I want to get rid of status that cause negative side effects other than damage.
Ground prevents T-Wave, and thus the speed loss and chance of losing a turn that comes with it.

That seems to be the point of the CAP to me, so Ground has my vote.

I really don't like the normal type for this concept, since it doesn't have any key resistances and won't stop secondary effects as well as the other two types up for voting without a great movepool or a key ability like Magic Guard (which is not a good idea because it ruins the point of this CAP).

If we are looking at which type will help us to learn more, then the Dark type would be a good choice. Dark-type Pokemon have the potential to be great supporting Pokemon, thanks to STAB Pursuit and a guarantee that they will get Taunt, which helps stop a lot of common secondary effects. However, no Dark-types in the standard metagame outside of Tyranitar have decent defensive capabilities (Umbreon gets crushed by STAB Close Combat which is common, and Spiritomb isn't that great in OU), and Tyranitar has better things to do than provide support to a team (like tear up opponents with CB Stone Edge or Crunch coming off a base 134 Attack). The Dark type will give us something fresh and fun to play around with during this project.

I voted Ground.

Although Dark has few resistances, Ground only has one more and only two of them we see much in competitive play: Water and Ice. So Dark has that small advantage, but Ground has a bigger one.

If we choose Dark, we're obviously making it offensive orientated which can be shut down by Twave. Ground is immune to Twave and so has a better chance to stop secondaries. The other advantages of Ground are SR resistance (not an overly large deal, but a deal nonetheless) and Sandstorm immunity.

I voted Dark. Dark seems the most threatening to the prominant secoundary move users Once we establish it as threatening, we can then discuss secoundary typing and ability that will alliviate the biggest barriers to it being dangerious.

Woah, this is gonna be a landslide victory for Dark here.

I voted Ground for my reasons stated here.

Other than that, Normal is a horrible offensive type, and is defensively inferior to Dark. I like dark, because STAB Pursuit is lovely, but Ground is just better for this concept IMO. The immunities are important for this CAP, and I want it to have as many as possible, while still being balanced.

normal has the best range and flexibility for movepool and ability, and both seem like they are much more important on this poke than just its type.

I voted Dark.

Dark, imo, is the best choice. Getting a super-effective hit on common users of secondary moves (Celebi, Rotom-A etc...) is big enough already. None of the other types can boast that. By rule, all natural Dark-types get Taunt (natural as in not by ability [Multitype/Color Change]), which completely shuts down almost all effects of 'secondary moves'. A combination of Taunt and Substitute protects a Pokemon from all secondary effects outside of Stealth Rocks/Spikes/Toxic Spikes.

A better review of my reasons is here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2236985&postcount=120

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
If we choose Dark, we're obviously making it offensive orientated which can be shut down by Twave. Ground is immune to Twave and so has a better chance to stop secondaries. The other advantages of Ground are SR resistance (not an overly large deal, but a deal nonetheless) and Sandstorm immunity.
Not all offensive pokes are shut down by t-wave plenty of offensive pokemon don't mind t-wave that much at all.

Anyways I voted for dark, as I think it fits the concept better. Making pokes who use "secondaries" a liability seems like a more effective way of stopping it than simply having immunities. There are plenty of OU pokemon with immunities to secondary effects and that hasn't stopped there usage, and I doubt one pokemon would make a difference.

After a bit more thought, I've decided to vote Dark.

Being able to "Stop the Secondaries" by punishing them is a much better deterrent than just ignoring them.

I voted Dark, as I have been pressing towards its inclusion.
Trick is so deceptively effective, its like inflicting a status that can't be cured. A Dark typing will at least assure us that those little tricksters will get whats coming to them.
Ground also seems awesome as a type for this concept, but STAB Pursuit is much more worth it imo.

For the reasons I've stated in the thread, Dark is the way to go, just for the STAB pursuit and the psudo-trapping abilities.\

EDIT: POST 100! Hooray!

Ugh, is there really any reason to keep it open that long? It's extremely clear right now what the result will be. Postponing closing it isn't fun.:(

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i can close it as soon as i get home from school if there is still a giant landslide for dark.

Voting DARK, and I've already said why in the other thread. STAB Pursuit is nice to hit Trickers, it's not Stealth Rock weak, and has a pretty good defensive typing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)