ORAS OU Charizard-Y OU team (1400 and climbing)

Welcome to my second RMT!

Team Introduction

The team I'm working around right now is based on offensive team with 2 Pokemon being a mix of stalling.​

Team Breakdown

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power
Charizard was my first pick for this team as I wanted to build a team with one of my favourite Pokemon. Charizard-Y hits hard and can even leave the opponent guessing if it's a Charizard-X who is going to try and set up (though the Shiny might give it away.) It's role is built around getting in and getting the job done as quick as possible, in which I opted for all attacking moves, instead of using a slot for Roost. Charizard doesn't come in until mid/late game, once all his threats are out of the way. I slapped on Heat Wave as I was having the worse luck with Fire Blast and missing way too much. Solar Beam is a must for hitting Rotom-Wash, Quagsire and Seismitoad. Focus Blast is for luring in Heatran or Tyranitar who would try to switch it on a Heat Wave or Solar Beam, but instead get hit with something that can OHKO or 2HKO. I put on Ancient Power over Roost, as I noticed I wasn't using Roost too much, since it never goes in on rocks and I don't switch into it unless I know it won't affect it (Will-O-Wisp, Earthquake, ect.) Ancient Power is a great on Talonflame and other Charizards, plus 10% chance of raising all stats is a huge plus for me.​

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Gyarados is my mixed offensive and stall. Gyarados is rarely ever my stater Pokemon, only if I see a Pokemon who is going to rely on setting something up. Taunt is used for Pokemon who may try to setup, set a hazard on me or heal such as Clefable, Quagsire, Stealth Rock setters, Snorlax, Roost users. Pair a physical attacker who loses attack due to Intimidate and gets taunted, will almost always guarantee a switch in, which I can set up a Dragon Dance and go for the attack. I've had the best luck against Skarmory, Hippowdon and Garchomp. Lum Berry is ran in case a Pokemon outspeeds me and tries to set a status on me or if it survives an attack and gets a status affect on me. Waterfall and Bounce are for STAB, with the chance of flinch or paralyse works wonders. EVs are spread out a little bit to give it better survival, while still maintain a dominant speed and attack after a Dragon Dance.

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou honestly works wonders, I have come back when I thought it was over way too many times while using Raikou. I'm running the average set, max speed and SpA, with speed nature, paired with Choice Specs. Volt Switch is for seeking out switch-ins and building momentum. HP Ice is for Garchomp and Landorus. Shadow Ball is for the Lati twins and bulky Mew/Celebi. Thunderbolt is an easy spam once any counters are out of the way. Raikou I try to use late game, but will no problem send it out earlier if it's counters are out of the way and I can just Thunderbolt spam away.

Entei @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Entei is my counter to Sableye. It can't Will-O-Wisp it and it can Taunt it, but it's useless. A lot of people can second guess an Entei, assuming it's going to try and use substitute or Will-O-Wisp/Toxic, when in reality, it's just there to hit and force people to switch. I chose Life Orb over Choice Band as I did not want 3 Choice users on my team, plus the fact I would like the freedom of switching between moves, especially on Entei. I normally use Entei early on, to try and remove any threats to my other Pokemon, but if there is a Sableye on the enemy team, Entei will be my lead to lure it in. Sacred Fire is a fantastic move with high base damage, STAB boost + Life Orb boost +50% chance to burn, a lot of Pokemon can't freely switch into that.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Garchomp is my Stealth Rock setter and used as a stall most areas. It's running a bulkier set as I don't really want it to be too much of an attacker, it's main role is to set up rocks, and try to Dragon Tail spam as much as possible. Earthquake is for opposing Heatran, Klefki (without Magnetic Rise) and just hitting with STAB. Fire Blast is for Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarymory, although I haven't OHKO'ed any, except for a hyper offensive Scizor with no bulk added to it. I've been debating putting Substitute on over Fire Blast, that way I can hide behind a sub to try and Dragon Tail spam a little better. Rocky Helmet is a must with it's ability, to punish physical attackers, especially ones that use Fake Out or take recoil damage.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is my hazard remover but also a sweeper, late game if preferred. I chose to run Choice Scarf with Mold Breaker so I can have the freedom to Earthquake spam against Levitate Pokemon. Gengar seems to be making a return in OU, and has been problematic, so with being able to hit Gengar and Rotom-Wash with Earthquake + STAB, really works out for me. Iron Head is to hit against fairy types such as Clefable and Diancie. Rock Slide is for Talonflame who think I'll switch out or if I switch into a Gyarados after it already intimidated another Pokemon, hoping I can get a flinch off it. Rapid Spin with Choice Scarf isn't exactly my favourite, but that's used if I plan to sacrifice Excadrill or if I believe I can switch in right afterwards and save him for later.
Threats

- Staraptor is a huge threat to this team if Gyarados or Garchomp is gone. It can easily spam Brave Bird or Double-Edge on this team and take out a majority, if not win against 4 Pokemon with ease.

- Diancie is also a serious threat. If Excadrill is gone, she can easily sweep this team. Diamond Storm will obliterate Charizard-Y, Gyarados and Entei. Earth Power will destroy Entei and Raikou. Moonblast knocks Garchomp out, my only hope for Garchomp, is to have someone switch to her while I'm going to use Earthquake.

- Salamence itself isn't so much a threat, it's the sets I've been running into. Namely Choice Scarf + Moxie Salamence. That might just be poor judgement on my part which is letting it get ahead, but I've run into a few of these that gave me trouble, after it's at 2x attack, it's best to just click X, unless it's at low enough HP that Entei can Extreme Speed KO it.

-Serperior can be problematic, only if I let it get a sub off with boosted SpA. Other than that, it's not too hard to deal with. Sub and Glare Serperior isn't too common thankfully, but if it is ran, that in itself can turn ugly.

- Choice Band Weavile can be problematic without Excadrill or Gyarados. Knock Off or Icicle Crash can put a dent in most of my team. Life Orb Weavile can be just as bad, however with it's chip away damage, it can let Entei come in for an Extreme Speed KO.

- Quagsire is more of an annoyance than anything. If Charizard-Y is gone, this thing can easily start to stall out my team. Gyarados helps counter it, as it can't use Toxic or Recover, while I work the Waterfall spam hoping to make it flinch, while my Lum Berry helps through one Scald burn.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power

Entei @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Bounce
- Waterfall

Sobi

Banned deucer.
hey there. cool team here, been having a few battles with it, and it's been quite good. the lack of a scald switch-in isn't very good though, as most of your pokemon don't like getting burnt or hit by a super effective scald, so that's something we need to address. there's also a weakness to fairies, azumarill to be specific, since it can take advantage of excadrill getting locked into rapid spin so we'll need to find a way to solve that problem as well. your team is also weak to stealth rock, with entei exacerbating the stealth rock weakness, putting loads of pressure onto excadrill to spin them away, but then it gets locked into it, draining a lot of momentum for your team. i like the gyarados set you are running, it's been very effective and gyarados is a fairly underrated mon in the tier so it's nice you're using it. however, i feel that a secondary wincon is vital, seeing as your pokemon fail to break past fatter cores and subCM suicune seemed to be rather annoying once it got the chance to hide behind a sub and begin to set up, so finding a way to dismantle bulkier cores should help your team greatly.

major changes

>
as i said, your team seems very threatened by choice specs keldeo as well as resttalk keldeo because it can keep recovering the HP it loses and it can pose as a very annoying threat by spamming scald. speaking of scald, your team members do not like to be burnt by scald and while gyarados may have lum berry to help mitigate this problem, once it has been used, your team becomes very weak to scald users. this is why i would suggest using latios over excadrill. latios provides much more power for your team, a ground immunity, and a scald switch-in as well as a keldeo counter, which your team would greatly appreciate. excadrill can easily be taken advantage of once it is locked into rapid spin and hazard-stacking teams can force a lot of pressure onto it by repeatedly switching in hazards and then eliminating excadrill, giving your team a much harder time against them.

>
your team now becomes very weak to belly drum azumarill who can sweep through your team once it gets the chance to set up on a predicted switch or the like, so i'd like to suggest that you use heatran over garchomp. heatran can deal with ferrothorn (95.4 - 112.5%), a major nuisance as your main attackers are physically oriented and do not like taking chip damage; it can also take care of serperior (76.9 - 91.4%) and weavile (88.2 - 104.6%) with lava plume, as well as provide stealth rock and toxic support for your team, wearing down switchins and helping your teammates gain extra KOs. specs keldeo, already being a big threat, can deal a lot of damage to garchomp with choice specs-boosted icy wind (97.8 - 116%) so switching over to heatran (4.1 - 4.9%) should help with this problem.

>
finally, with your team being very weak to ground- and rock-types in general, i'd like to recommend shuca berry cobalion over entei. entei does nothing significant and rather exacerbates your team's weakness to said ground- and rock-types, as well as stealth rock. shuca berry cobalion helps your team take on excadrill (53.4 - 63.2%) (it can then kill with Close Combat), tyranitar, and kyurem-b better, as well as provide an offensive pivot to form a voltturn core with raikou, stomaching earthquakes to greatly support it. it also works very well with latios, as it gains a boost in attack when hit by a dark-type move, making it the perfect pokemon to switch in when you predict a knock off.

minor changes

the lack of a second win condition really gets to me because you then rely on gyarados for a sweep, and this can prove to be ineffective if it manages to get KOed. this is why you should switch to calm mind raikou instead of specs raikou; with edgequake users being ever so common in the current metagame, having the flexibility in order to deal with them is vital. when raikou is locked into volt switch / thunderbolt, opposing excadrill can exploit this by removing hazards or outright koing it. calm mind raikou can also deal with suicune and slowbro, both of which are especially annoying for your team once charizard y has been weakened.

having a way to counter stall is very important for most setup sweepers, and your current gyarados set sadly lacks a way to do so. as i mentioned at the beginning of this rate, gyarados becomes very susceptible to burns when its lum berry is used. for this reason, i suggest running substitute over taunt, as this guarantees that gyarados is able to safely set up, turning it into a devestating wallbreaker after a few boosts. now that you have a way to shield gyarados from statuses, i would recommend going for lefties over lum berry as the passive recovery is really useful; however, this is optional.

i'm not so clear on why you are running heat wave instead of fire blast or even flamethrower, since charizard y is missing out on a lot of crucial KOs it can only get with fire blast. this is why i think you should stick with fire blast, though if you are still iffy about the accuracy, go for flamethrower, but i prefer the power over accuracy.

i think i covered most of the problems with your team, try out these suggestions and i hope i helped :heart:

summary

• heatran > garchomp: helps vs fairies and azumarill
  • latios > excadrill: helps vs specs keldeo and provides scald switchin
  • shuca berry cobalion > entei: helps vs excadrill
  • calm mind raikou > specs
  • leftovers gyarados > lum berry
  • fire blast / flamethrower mega-charizard-y > heat wave
sets

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
hey there. cool team here, been having a few battles with it, and it's been quite good. the lack of a scald switch-in isn't very good though, as most of your pokemon don't like getting burnt or hit by a super effective scald, so that's something we need to address. there's also a weakness to fairies, azumarill to be specific, since it can take advantage of excadrill getting locked into rapid spin so we'll need to find a way to solve that problem as well. your team is also weak to stealth rock, with entei exacerbating the stealth rock weakness, putting loads of pressure onto excadrill to spin them away, but then it gets locked into it, draining a lot of momentum for your team. i like the gyarados set you are running, it's been very effective and gyarados is a fairly underrated mon in the tier so it's nice you're using it. however, i feel that a secondary wincon is vital, seeing as your pokemon fail to break past fatter cores and subCM suicune seemed to be rather annoying once it got the chance to hide behind a sub and begin to set up, so finding a way to dismantle bulkier cores should help your team greatly.

major changes

>
as i said, your team seems very threatened by choice specs keldeo as well as resttalk keldeo because it can keep recovering the HP it loses and it can pose as a very annoying threat by spamming scald. speaking of scald, your team members do not like to be burnt by scald and while gyarados may have lum berry to help mitigate this problem, once it has been used, your team becomes very weak to scald users. this is why i would suggest using latios over excadrill. latios provides much more power for your team, a ground immunity, and a scald switch-in as well as a keldeo counter, which your team would greatly appreciate. excadrill can easily be taken advantage of once it is locked into rapid spin and hazard-stacking teams can force a lot of pressure onto it by repeatedly switching in hazards and then eliminating excadrill, giving your team a much harder time against them.

>
your team now becomes very weak to belly drum azumarill who can sweep through your team once it gets the chance to set up on a predicted switch or the like, so i'd like to suggest that you use heatran over garchomp. heatran can deal with ferrothorn (95.4 - 112.5%), a major nuisance as your main attackers are physically oriented and do not like taking chip damage; it can also take care of serperior (76.9 - 91.4%) and weavile (88.2 - 104.6%) with lava plume, as well as provide stealth rock and toxic support for your team, wearing down switchins and helping your teammates gain extra KOs. specs keldeo, already being a big threat, can deal a lot of damage to garchomp with choice specs-boosted icy wind (97.8 - 116%) so switching over to heatran (4.1 - 4.9%) should help with this problem.

>
finally, with your team being very weak to ground- and rock-types in general, i'd like to recommend shuca berry cobalion over entei. entei does nothing significant and rather exacerbates your team's weakness to said ground- and rock-types, as well as stealth rock. shuca berry cobalion helps your team take on excadrill (53.4 - 63.2%) (it can then kill with Close Combat), tyranitar, and kyurem-b better, as well as provide an offensive pivot to form a voltturn core with raikou, stomaching earthquakes to greatly support it. it also works very well with latios, as it gains a boost in attack when hit by a dark-type move, making it the perfect pokemon to switch in when you predict a knock off.

minor changes

the lack of a second win condition really gets to me because you then rely on gyarados for a sweep, and this can prove to be ineffective if it manages to get KOed. this is why you should switch to calm mind raikou instead of specs raikou; with edgequake users being ever so common in the current metagame, having the flexibility in order to deal with them is vital. when raikou is locked into volt switch / thunderbolt, opposing excadrill can exploit this by removing hazards or outright koing it. calm mind raikou can also deal with suicune and slowbro, both of which are especially annoying for your team once charizard y has been weakened.

having a way to counter stall is very important for most setup sweepers, and your current gyarados set sadly lacks a way to do so. as i mentioned at the beginning of this rate, gyarados becomes very susceptible to burns when its lum berry is used. for this reason, i suggest running substitute over taunt, as this guarantees that gyarados is able to safely set up, turning it into a devestating wallbreaker after a few boosts. now that you have a way to shield gyarados from statuses, i would recommend going for lefties over lum berry as the passive recovery is really useful; however, this is optional.

i'm not so clear on why you are running heat wave instead of fire blast or even flamethrower, since charizard y is missing out on a lot of crucial KOs it can only get with fire blast. this is why i think you should stick with fire blast, though if you are still iffy about the accuracy, go for flamethrower, but i prefer the power over accuracy.

i think i covered most of the problems with your team, try out these suggestions and i hope i helped :heart:

summary

• heatran > garchomp: helps vs fairies and azumarill
  • latios > excadrill: helps vs specs keldeo and provides scald switchin
  • shuca berry cobalion > entei: helps vs excadrill
  • calm mind raikou > specs
  • leftovers gyarados > lum berry
  • fire blast / flamethrower mega-charizard-y > heat wave
sets

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 144 HP / 112 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Iron Head
- Taunt

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

So I started running into some trouble with my team before the changes, Scald as you mentioned, which started costing me some games but after the changes the team feels a lot more solid.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-385302864

Start of the game was not too exciting, we both pretty much just set up lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)