SM OU Cheers to Greninja's Happy Hour Peaked #1

Proof of Peak:

Introduction:
Hey guys it's Caron Smith here! A little intro about myself; I'm one of the few female players here on Showdown and this is my first time reaching #1! This team helped me kick a lot of butts (sorry boys) and I had boat loads of fun using it too! I've been on Pokemon Showdown for a year and a half now and I consider myself an above average player. My rank is usually in the top 50 on the ladder but recently I have gotten #1 with a very unique team. I've noticed that at the top of the ladder you usually only see stall and pretty much standard teams so I decided to use a Greninja set that people would not expect. A factor that people underrate but is really important is the element of surprise. I created this team a while ago and had decent success with it but a threat hindering it was Pheramosa. As soon as it got banned I scurried on the ladder and climbed right to the top!

Team Building Process

I started with Tapu Lele mainly because I just wanted to see how powerful it would be with specs.

I chose this next because it beats mainly every Lele threat besides Celesteela.

I knew I wanted this on the team but after testing I decided Z Happy Hour was its best set for this team.

Charizard Y was next because I wanted something with limited switch ins that could pave the way for Lele and Greninja.

After Charizard I desperately needed a defogger and Mantine fit in perfectly.

Last was Jirachi because I lacked speed and it overall was a great supporter in keeping my sweepers healthy. And its gay af.

Team Overview:

Greninja @ Normalium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Greninja is the main sweeper of the team as it sets up on over half the tier. The Z Happy Hour allows it to live hits and also allows it to outspeed every viable scarfer besides tapu koko. I chose surf over Icebeam because Heatran kept giving me problems even with the addition of Dugtrio which i will explain later. If you feel Ice Beam is more beneficial you can switch Surf.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Mega Charizard-Y hits extremely hard and is my most common lead. It has the potential to beat entire teams by itself and singlehandedly beats stall once Chansey is gone. While Focus Blast is usually its 3rd move I chose HP Ice since Zygarde, Garchomp, and Dragonite are common switch ins and I have Dugtrio for Heatran.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Screech

Dugtrio is a major component of the team as it gets rid a huge threats in Heatran and Toxapex and if you catch Chansey on the switch, Screech can beat it 1v1. Also it does what typical Dugtrio's do in beating Steel types like Metagross, Magearna and Excadrill.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele is my personal favorite and may be the hardest hitter on the team. Specs gives this unbelievable power. It easily 2hkos Chansey, has a chance to OHKO Metagross before evolving with Shadow Ball, and does significant damage to Celesteela and Magearna with HP Fire.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch

Jirachi is my main lead since this team struggles against Tapu Koko. I mainly use Jirachi as a pivot and as a means to Healing Wish up one of my sweepers however, it has the potential to be an annoying little bugger by flinching down EVERYTHING.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Mantine is the wall to Volcarona and many other threats. It is the most underrated Defogger in the game and completely walls most water types. Mantine pulls off useful Toxics on the switch and is easy to double out of when in with a good matchup.

Threats:
Tapu-Koko is by far the biggest threat to the team, however it can be worn down.
Mega Charizard X-Dont let it set up, Toxic it with Mantine and keep Dugtrio's sash intact.
There are a lot of other threats because this is an HO team but you can usually revenge kill.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-559436605
Heres a replay of how the team works

Conclusion:
Overall, I had a blast playing with these mons, thanks so much for reading and any input you can give me is much appreciated. This is my first RMT so I apologize for any formatting errors. See you at the top boys, Caron out!

Importable:
Anna Leigh sucks (Greninja) (M) @ Normalium Z
Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Annas morning breath (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Screw Case Western (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Screech

Jimmy and Anna 4vr (Tapu Lele) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Marie's Cinnamon Hot Chocolate (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Healing Wish
- Fire Punch

Steve Irwin (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Well to start, was that second tab intentional? lol

Now actually serious suggestion: i would switch scarf jirachi to scarf lando t for a koko counter. Gets nice coverage and hp ice for coverage against fellow lando t.

Set:
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Earthquake for powerful stab, u-turn for momentum, stone edge for flying type coverage

Now actually serious suggestion: i would switch scarf jirachi to scarf lando t for a koko counter. Gets nice coverage and hp ice for coverage against fellow lando t.

Set:
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Earthquake for powerful stab, u-turn for momentum, stone edge for flying type coverage[/qu

Set:
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Earthquake for powerful stab, u-turn for momentum, stone edge for flying type coverage
Thanks for the suggestion and that sounds like a good idea but without Jirachi the team gets run through by scarf Lele but if are struggling against koko that much you can try it

You could also use scarf magnezone to counter both of those threats. Standard smogon set.
This could be another viable option but makes the team lack a valuable speed tier. Also, Healing Wish has saved me countless times, however magnezone could definitely provide great support in stopping koko from sweeping the team. My most common way of beating koko is using z happy hour when koko is out and proceeding to sweep.

This could be another viable option but makes the team lack a valuable speed tier. Also, Healing Wish has saved me countless times, however magnezone could definitely provide great support in stopping koko from sweeping the team. My most common way of beating koko is using z happy hour when koko is out and proceeding to sweep.
Ok. I havent tried it out yet. Also u never answered my first question lol.

Hey CaronSmith,

I really like your team, particularly the Z-Happy Hour Greninja. However I noticed a big weakness to Wallbreakers, particularly Tapu Koko and M-Pinsir against which you have no switch-in. Set-up sweepers like Gyarados and M-Charizard X are also pretty annoying since you don't have a solid way to Revenge Kill them or even to prevent them from setting up. Wallbreaking cores are pretty difficult to handle for your team. Some Defensive cores like Celesteela + Toxapex or Celesteela + Zygarde can also be really hard to break and separately, they can also be annoying. The most annoying playstyles are probably Hyper Offense and Offense in general since they're able to heavily pressure your team.

I think your team lacks of a way to handle massive Offensive pressure, since your 'mons can get quickly overwhelmed by strong Wallbreakers due to their passivity or their insufficient speed. Your team also lacks a bit of speed, making you unable to Revenge Kill some fast threats. So, my rate will be mostly focused on covering those lacks.

--->

The first change I propose you is Bronzong > Jirachi. While underrated, Bronzong is a really good 'mon and fits very well on your team. It's a wonderful check to threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp, M-Pinsir and Tapu Lele thanks to its typing and Levitate. Its access to Earthquake also helps you against Heatran and Electric Types like Tapu Koko. I propose you a 248 HP/84 Def/176 SpD with a Sassy Nature to be able to take on Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko better, while still being able to take on Continental Crush Landorus-T (not OHKOed by +4 Continental Crush). With that, a Gyro Ball/Earthquake/HP Ice/Steath Rocks moveset. Also, the fact that it has Stealth Rocks allows you to run something else on Dugtrio.

--->
/

The second change I propose you is Scarf Garchomp > Specs Tapu Lele because it adds some speed to your team and also gives you an Offensive chack to threats like M-Pinsir, M-Metagross and Tapu Koko. Its typing also gives your team some useful resistances and immunities like its double resistance toFire Type and its immunity to Electric Type, allowing you to switch-into threats like Tapu Koko and M-Charizard Y when Mantine and Bronzong aren't able to. The biggest reason why I made this change was because it gives you something able to Revenge Kill M-Charizard X, Gyarados, Salamence and also Volcarona which can both annoy your team if it isn't. Scarf Latios is also an option for the same reasons but it has Thunderbolt to hit Gyarados and M-Pinsir harder, but it's not a good check to M-Metagross and Tapu Koko (even though it's a better switch-in). Both are good.

Memento & Reversal : Since you already have Stealth Rocks on Bronzong, you should run Memento over it because it helps your Greninjaa to set-up. Reversal over Sucker Punch is here to beat Chansey more easily, and also Dark Types like M-Gyarados and Tyranitar.

Extrasensory : I propose you to run Extrasensory on Greninja because it helps you against Toxapex and other Poison and Fighting Types, allowing you to break cores like Toxapex + Celesteela, making of Greninja a good win condition against Stall if Chansey is gone. I propose you to run it over HP Fire since Surf can still hit Steel Types (bar Ferrothorn which you can remove with your other team members).

Importables :

Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory/HP Fire
- Surf/HP Fire

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Reversal
- Screech

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory/HP Fire
- Surf/HP Fire

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Reversal
- Screech

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

That's all for the rate. I hope I helped and good luck for the team. Oh, and also cheers for the peak n_n

Reactions: 3d
Hey CaronSmith,

I really like your team, particularly the Z-Happy Hour Greninja. However I noticed a big weakness to Wallbreakers, particularly Tapu Koko and M-Pinsir against which you have no switch-in. Set-up sweepers like Gyarados and M-Charizard X are also pretty annoying since you don't have a solid way to Revenge Kill them or even to prevent them from setting up. Wallbreaking cores are pretty difficult to handle for your team. Some Defensive cores like Celesteela + Toxapex or Celesteela + Zygarde can also be really hard to break and separately, they can also be annoying. The most annoying playstyles are probably Hyper Offense and Offense in general since they're able to heavily pressure your team.

I think your team lacks of a way to handle massive Offensive pressure, since your 'mons can get quickly overwhelmed by strong Wallbreakers due to their passivity or their insufficient speed. Your team also lacks a bit of speed, making you unable to Revenge Kill some fast threats. So, my rate will be mostly focused on covering those lacks.

--->

The first change I propose you is Bronzong > Jirachi. While underrated, Bronzong is a really good 'mon and fits very well on your team. It's a wonderful check to threats like Landorus-T, Garchomp, M-Pinsir and Tapu Lele thanks to its typing and Levitate. Its access to Earthquake also helps you against Heatran and Electric Types like Tapu Koko. I propose you a 248 HP/84 Def/176 SpD with a Sassy Nature to be able to take on Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko better, while still being able to take on Continental Crush Landorus-T (not OHKOed by +4 Continental Crush). With that, a Gyro Ball/Earthquake/HP Ice/Steath Rocks moveset. Also, the fact that it has Stealth Rocks allows you to run something else on Dugtrio.

--->
/

The second change I propose you is Scarf Garchomp > Specs Tapu Lele because it adds some speed to your team and also gives you an Offensive chack to threats like M-Pinsir, M-Metagross and Tapu Koko. Its typing also gives your team some useful resistances and immunities like its double resistance toFire Type and its immunity to Electric Type, allowing you to switch-into threats like Tapu Koko and M-Charizard Y when Mantine and Bronzong aren't able to. The biggest reason why I made this change was because it gives you something able to Revenge Kill M-Charizard X, Gyarados, Salamence and also Volcarona which can both annoy your team if it isn't. Scarf Latios is also an option for the same reasons but it has Thunderbolt to hit Gyarados and M-Pinsir harder, but it's not a good check to M-Metagross and Tapu Koko (even though it's a better switch-in). Both are good.

Memento & Reversal : Since you already have Stealth Rocks on Bronzong, you should run Memento over it because it helps your Greninjaa to set-up. Reversal over Sucker Punch is here to beat Chansey more easily, and also Dark Types like M-Gyarados and Tyranitar.

Extrasensory : I propose you to run Extrasensory on Greninja because it helps you against Toxapex and other Poison and Fighting Types, allowing you to break cores like Toxapex + Celesteela, making of Greninja a good win condition against Stall if Chansey is gone. I propose you to run it over HP Fire since Surf can still hit Steel Types (bar Ferrothorn which you can remove with your other team members).

Importables :

Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory/HP Fire
- Surf/HP Fire

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Reversal
- Screech

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Hasty Nature
- Happy Hour
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory/HP Fire
- Surf/HP Fire

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Reversal
- Screech

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

That's all for the rate. I hope I helped and good luck for the team. Oh, and also cheers for the peak n_n
Wow man first of all thanks for putting in all that time typing that and with really interesting suggestions. Bronzing is definitely a cool option that frees up a move like memento for dugtrio which sounds very useful in getting off a free happy hour. I really like this idea because bronzing is a hard counter to landorus and can easily eat up hits from tapu koko while also dealing with heat ran on the switch. I also support ur extrasensory greninja idea because I have lost games simply because I was stalled out by toxapex. The only thing I'm skeptical of is scarf latios as I feel it has too many checks this generation and I find it a little passive but scarf chomp seems to be a really solid fit imo as someone mentioned before. As for your mention of cores like celesteela+ zygarde + toxapex, my way of dealing with these threats is always a double out of charizard to catch toxapex on the switch with dugtrio but I really like the look of the team after the changes u made because it gives multiple chances to win instead of relying on a double. The only problem that I see is the lack of a pivot mon but that can easily be surmounted with good predictions. I will definitely try the team with ur changes and ur input is very much appreciated.

Hello Caron, solid work on the team. This just goes to show though that Greninja needs to be banned way too versatile for my liking. In my opinion I think this team is lacking a strong physical attacker. I think a choice scarfed Zygarde would compliment it tastefully!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)