ORAS LC Chespin Bulky Offense

Chespin Bulky Offense

Introduction
I made this team about a year ago, and it was originally built around a Totodile. After 20 or so battles, I saw that Chespin would often end up being my wincon, so I took out Totodile and things moved from there. Now, after numerous tweaks, I have this. These are all standard Smogon sets, but I'll add descriptions because Smogon dictates I do so.

The team

Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Evs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 236 Spd
Impish Nature
-Bulk Up
-Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge

Chespin is the star of the team. Bulk Up boosts my decent Attack and Defense and Synthesis keeps him healthy throughout the match. Seed Bomb hits Water, Ground, and Rock types hard, and Stone Edge bops Fire and Flying types on the switch.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
-Recover
-Scald
-Psychic
-Rapid Spin

Staryu was my first choice for a hazard control. It checks Fire types that threaten Chespin, and with Psychic it hits Fighting types too. Recover is great instant recovery, and Rapid Spin is the hazard removal I picked Staryu for in the first place.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Evs: 156 HP / 40 Def / 236 Spa / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
-Recover
-Tri Attack
-Psychic
-Ice Beam

I needed another bulky mon, and I needed a strong special attacker, so I picked up Porygon. Recover keeps Porygon HP in a good range, without statuses. Tri Attack is a powerful STAB move, and Psychic hits the Fighting types on the switch. Ice Beam is just more coverage because we didn't have any Ice type moves yet.

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Morning Sun
-Flare Blitz
-Wild Charge

Ponyta is used to spread burns, courtesy of Flame Body. Will-O-Wisp also there to spread burns, and is definitely more reliabe. Morning Sun is even more recovery, extending Ponyta's live and giving me the chance to burn more 'mons. Flare Blitz is used to hit Grass and Ice types, and neutral hits hurt too. Wild charge hits Water types on the switch in.

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Spd / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
-High Jump Kick
-Drain Punch
-Knock Off
-U-Turn

Mienfoo is my choice scarf 'mon and my Knock Off spreader. High Jump Kick hits like a truck, and with Mienfoo's scarf, I can safely check Diglett. Drain Punch provides some recovery, and Knock Off is mandatory in this meta. U-Turn gives me my first voltturn 'mon, giving me momentum when used right.

Chinchou @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 Spa / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
-Heal Bell
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ground

This is standard bulky Chinchou, but I put Eviolite over Berry Juice. Heal Bell is a necessity because before we had Chinchou, we had no form of status removal apart from Staryu's Natural Cure. Hydro Pump is used as a good STAB, covering everything Scald covers on Staryu, just hitting harder. Volt Switch is another voltturn move, giving me more options throughout the battle. Hidden Power Ground hits other Chinchous and Magnemites hard, OHKOing Mags.

That's about it.
That's my team, I would definitely appreciate some feedback. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In general, you're weak to Diglett + Fighting types or Pawniard and you lack a switch-in to both variants of Abra. To cover these weaknesses, as these are the largest issues for your team besides fast wallbreakers, all of which you can punish anyway. Because of this, Bulky Porygon over Offensive Porygon is generally more apt for your team; it covers smashers, traps Diglett, and switches into Sash Abra plus it turns Porygon into a blanket check to a lot of things. There isn't too much to say about this change beyond this though, as you don't need Thunder Wave either.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Level: 5
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam / Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack / Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Psychic

With a bulkier Porygon set, you don't need Wild Charge on Ponyta either, though it is still nice for the Speed tie versus Staryu and hitting Archen. Flame Charge over Wild Charge is a fair option though, as this makes Diglett unable to revenge kill you. This is rather situational though, and arguably worse than Wild Charge in terms of utility. Additionally, Stone Edge Mienfoo over Drain Punch is a possible change, but not really necessary either since you have several switch ins to Fire-types.

Honestly those are the only changes I can think of as your team is both super solid, and generally safe from most of the forgotten threats. Baton Pass to Carvanha is the most threatening thing that I can think up, but you can beat that assuming you aren't haxed. It's a very, very solid team, so props to you for that.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
This team is fantastically solid as Fiend stated. Only chance I would make would be Rock Slide > Stone Edge on Chespin. The set is here in case you want to cp
Chespin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Atk / 236 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide

As you should only atempt a sweep with the opposing team worned down and rocks up, the additional power provided by Stone Edge is not needed. For instance, with a +1 boost you are able to OHKO 13 Def Archen with Rock Slide. It usually comes in with rocks on its field anyway; should be noted Chespin can set up on this Archen btw, if it is holding BJ. So yeah, Rock Slide makes the deal if Chespin is at late-game especially, and does so more consistently than Stone Edge.I would say to Run Stone Edge on Mienfoo over Drain Punch as well merely for not having lures to Bird. Removing Bird is a great deal to allow Chespin to sweep, try it:
Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Drain Punch is good for a safe KO though. It's just that I feel all teams turn to be much more effective if there is an unexpected lure.
EDIT:
Oh also, if planning on running Trace Porygon, you maybe could think about Ice Beam over HP ground on Chinchou, as Porygon deals with Chinchou well enough. You can keep Hidden Power Ground if you want though, it's dependant on what you think it's more important (bringing opposing Chinchou or Grass-types). Your team already covers itself against Grass-types anyway, but just in case.
Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Ice Beam

Great team! :]

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What up dude, pretty solid team you have here!

First things first, I'm going to suggest you swap your Porygon's set out for a typical Bulky Trace set. This set lets you trap other Diglett who might end up revenge killing your Ponyta and Chinchou (it doesn't really matter if most people on the ladder can't use Diglett correctly, I'm rating this as if it is at high level play, and making doubles with Diglett is the first thing I would do). Your only real option to regain momentum after Diglett kills something is to either, switch in Chespin and try to set up, switch in Staryu, or switch in Mienfoo. None of those are really optimal plays, since Chespin is your wincon, you don't want to just let it take early damage or set up too early. Staryu isn't as good of an option either, its better tho, but Staryu doesn't really pressure the opposing team to do much. It's not particularly powerful, especially with zero Special Attack investment. Mienfoo isn't something that you just want to reveal as Scarf, even if it is to kill Diglett. A Trace set will relieve pressure a bit off of the rest of your teammates, since you can now trap Diglett. You also have the benefit of psuedo recovery if you happen to trace Regenerator. Other cool abiliities to trace are things like Adapatability, to make Tri Attack strong as shit. With that change, I suggest you change Ice Beam Tri Attack to Thunder Wave, allowing it to perform a more support role for your team.

Mienfoo could honestly really use Stone Edge, in place of Drain Punch. There's almost no reason you would ever use Drain Punch anyway, since Mienfoo pivots a lot, regaining health from its ability. Stone Edge allows it to lure in things like Ponyta or Larvesta, which is useful. It can also lure in Fletchling, although fletchling I think is OHKOed anyway by HJK. I'm also not really liking Wild Charge on Ponyta. It really detracts from its position as a bulky switchin to Fighting-types and Pawniard, since its so easily worn down. Personally I like to take Toxic, to mess with things like Calm Mind Spritzee or other Ponyta. Hypnosis is another option you can do. lol Double Kick is something cool as well, since it can often break subs of things. IDK what to suggest here, but I'd take a look through its movepool again and pick somethign else. It already takes away momentum having to heal fairly often, it wouldn't be cool to have it heal more bc its being broken down easily.

Last edited:
You guys are awesome thanks for taking the time to look at my team. I'm really sold on Trace Porygon, and the same for Stone Edge Mienfoo. But I have a question. If I use bulky Porygon, and change Ice Beam to Thunder Wave, I 2HKO Diglett, and Diglett has a chance to 2HKO me. I see how having Thunder Wave is really good for utility, but if I'm going to use Trace Porygon to trap Diglett shouldn't I have a move that safely KOes Dig?

Also, what do you think about Iron Tail instead of Wild Charge on Ponyta?

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
You guys are awesome thanks for taking the time to look at my team. I'm really sold on Trace Porygon, and the same for Stone Edge Mienfoo. But I have a question. If I use bulky Porygon, and change Ice Beam to Thunder Wave, I 2HKO Diglett, and Diglett has a chance to 2HKO me. I see how having Thunder Wave is really good for utility, but if I'm going to use Trace Porygon to trap Diglett shouldn't I have a move that safely KOes Dig?

Also, what do you think about Iron Tail instead of Wild Charge on Ponyta?
IMO keep Ice Beam. Your main wincon (Chespin), doesn't need speed control (or most of the cases it shouldn't anyway) while ScarfFoo is fast enough as a Cleaner so it doesn't need Thunder Wave that much as well. Also, what you said :o
Iron Tail huh... I may test it later but as 4th move is filler anyway, Iron Tail seems legit good to beat Archen and Spritzee without losing any HP. Besides all suggestions Fiend and TCR gave you for Pony, personally I've been using Sunny Day with Flare Blitz. This is a guaranteed 2HKO on Spritzee and you have a 75% Morning Sun, yet a problem you may have with that is possibly disrupting your two Water-types. I'll leave it as a suggestion though, you may try it If you see fit.

Jjust did a battle with the Thunder Wave Porygon, and it didn't really do anything. Also, didn't get to test Iron Tail on Pony, but I can assure you it's there.
replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lcsuspecttest-268431510

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ice Beam just allows you to function as a better fall back mon and blanket, check however your team really likes Ice Beam. I'd actually say drop Tri Attack if you're dropping something, but I didn't think you'd find T wave needed which is why I have it as the second slashes. Ponyta is honestly fine with 3 moves on this team, which is funny. Anything you use that has some basic logic behind it should really be fine. I actually really like the idea of Iron Tail, but I'm not sure if it's actually viable, but again that 4th move doesn't matter in most cases. Only issue I see without having Wild Charge is Skrelp coming in for free or something.

First, thunder wave or hp Fighting is better than ice beam in porygon.
You team is weak to Diglett + Pawn Core, maybe is better hp fight.
I think berry juice is better than eviolite. I only use eviolite on rest talk chinchou.
PD: Drain punch > Stone edge on chespin, but you dont have diglett is a good option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)