XY NU Clean Field (Anti Hazard Stacking/Baton pass)

This team has been working out great through tests but still has a few issues with freeze-dry ect. However it has a nice system that deals with all of the cheap tactics people like to use such as smash pass or hazard stacking. It also has the upper hand against most stall teams.

Quest (Mantine) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Toxic / Scald
- Defog
- Haze
The main purpose of having a mantine on the team is to keep hazards of your side of the field. That is why it doesn't make much sense to have a team that relies on setting hazards to bring the opponent down itself. Having something that is this reliable of a defogger takes care of the numerous teams high ladder that start off the match trying to get as much hazards up as they can. It also gets the ability to haze targets which stops things like smash pass or many other types of setting up that you will encounter against any skilled opponent. In addition to these moves mantine is extreamely useful as a special wall. It can eat up an eruption from typhlosion like it was nothing.

Tallone (Sandslash) (M) Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 170 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
One thing about having a mantine on your team is that it has it's well known 4X electric weakness. If you can predict right most things that have an electric move are choiced and you can gain a turn every time they attempt to get that insta-kill on mantine. This set is capable of setting up or hitting many of it's switch ins with knock off. It's typing works amazing with literally everything on the team.

Rezalt (Vileplume) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 116 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis
This mon is able to cover the physical weaknesses of the team and has often been a key role in dismantling the other teams cores. It generally workes as a solid core with the other two mons not counting the weakness this team has to freeze dry. It also can come in on most physical attackers and use aromatherapy to cure the team of any status they racked up. Effect spore is always useful considering sleep, parahax, and burn are all lethal to most physical attackers.

Prize (Slurpuff) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draining Kiss
- Flamethrower
- Surf / Psychic
- Calm Mind
Once you take care of most of your opponents team slurpuff should be able to come in and wreck havok. you will always have to make sure that you break any threats down before you go for the sweep but often the draining kiss recovery s good enough. Slurpuff is S ranked for a reason and deserves to be there because it can be a huge threat to many teams.

Sonar (Swellow) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit/ U-turn
This bird is just a huge threat no matter where it goes. Because of liepard's mechanic, it usually finds an easy way to activate guts. Although being very frail, it is almost guaranteed to poke a giant hole in your opponents team that you can work around for the remainder of the game. On top of that it can do a huge chunk of damage with u-turn and not take any toxic damage at all. Considering how good this team is at keeping rocks off of the field, it won't have to worry too much about it's own residual damage. There is also the option of running pursuit which I recommend dearly. It allows swellow to kill problems that your opponent wants to save.

Muffra (Liepard) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Happiness: 237
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Encore
What better way to stop people from doing silly things then by having a liepard present. If you predict right you can come in and encore most things into doing something they don't want to. Also if they hadn't moved yet then u can sucker-punch which forces them to attack. If they don't they get hit with encore and you can u-turn for momentum.

This team makes great use of it's ability to get rid of hazards, knock off items, and u-turn for momentum. However when you find matches you will have to watch out for your extreme weakness to freeze dry. But often you won't have to switch and you might just have to make an unfavorable one for one trade.

Here are some sample replays from my friend Neatril using the team. (She helped make it and used it way more then I did.)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-163133716
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-163214519
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-163208631

Well here is the team in case anyone want's to use it on the ladder XD

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The main problem with this team is that it's really not supporting any sort of particular strategy. You need a much clearer idea of what you're actually trying to accomplish with your team so you can properly build and identify threats--it's fine to "prepare" for BP and hazards or whatever but outside of that there hardly seems like there's a whole lot of reasoning behind adding a lot of your current members other than "x is my physical attacker, y is my special attacker, z is my physical wall," and so forth. Your team in particular should primarily focus on wearing away at physical walls in order to pave the way for a Swellow sweep, so I'd first try out a Belly Drum set on Slurpuff. BD Puff synergizes a lot better with Swellow because it lets you apply maximum pressure onto physical walls, as special walls won't try switching in and a +6 Slurpuff will do a lot of damage to even most physical walls.

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
Naughty / Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Flamethrower / Substitute

I think BD + Flamethrower is the best set for your team because it lets you do a lot more damage to Steelix and Ferroseed which is beneficial for Swellow, but Sub is an option too

Another thing of note is that you don't have Stealth Rock on your team, which you should really aim to prioritize in teambuilding as the chip damage is very useful for wearing down opposing teams and nabbing key KOes. I'd try Steelix over Sandslash for a couple reasons: it can set up SR while helping patch up your Ice weakness a little bit, since it can live two Ice Beams from Cryogonal with a specially defensive spread. Also, I'm not really such a huge fan of Mantine on this team honestly since its incredibly passive nature just makes it kinda deadweight tbh--a potential replacement to consider is Rapid Spin + 3 attacks Kabutops since it helps with not losing offensive momentum and can still remove hazards for Swellow.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Roar

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Lastly a couple of sets could be optimized. Liepard prefers Dread Plate more than Life Orb as it hates getting its health chipped away every turn and the power difference is pretty negligible. Vileplume should also just run max Defense because it wants to be as bulky as possible to check the likes of Feraligatr and such and unless the SpA EVs do something important I don't see the point in them. Also, I think you should try either Sleep Powder or HP Fire over Aromatherapy because Swellow doesn't really like its Toxic Orb being constantly healed. Sleep Powder lets you support your team by incapacitating a potential threat, and HP Fire is an extra Ferroseed lure.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey Dentricos, cool team!

I agree with most of Dat Blast's suggestions. Belly Drum Slurpuff + Swellow is quite nice as they can punch holes easily in your opponent's team to let one of them to break through and clean, so I strongly suggest you to try it out. The Slurpuff set that Dat Blast suggested fits, but I think that trying out the SubEndeavor variant is worth a shot as it will make it easier for Slurpuff to weaken threats for Swellow. Here's the set:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Play Rough
- Substitute
- Belly Drum
- Endeavor

30 HP iv instead of 4 HP EVs is so that Unburden can be activated if Slurpuff switches in on Stealth Rock + 1 layer of Spikes twice (situational, but you never know).

While I agree that Kabutops with a different Ground-type will work better on your team than Mantine + AV Sandslash (it's a bad set btw), I think that going with Steelix will make your team too weak to Fire-types as your only Fire-type resist would be Kabutops. To try and fix that, I am going to suggest you to try out Camerupt over Sandslash:

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Camerupt gives you Stealth Rock, Roar, a good Electric-type switch-in thanks to its typing, and also a good Ice-type switch-in which your team also needs. Unfortunately, Camerupt isn't enough to remove the small weakness to Mixed Life Orb Magmortar that your team has (if it gets a free switch on Vileplume, something will get 2HKOed or OHKOed), but it will let you be able to take on the other Fire-types better (Typhlosion and Pyroar are more popular too iirc, so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal). Camerupt is also nice to switch into Probopass and Ferroseed, which your team currently has some problem with. Oh and feel free to try a faster spread with Earth Power (252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe) to speed creep base 50s and some of the Pokemon that also speed creeps that speed tier (Dragalge, Granbull, etc).

I also strongly suggest you to listen to Dat Blast's suggestion on going Max Def on Vileplume and to try out Hidden Power Fire on it. You could also try a Roselia over Vileplume if you want Spikes on your team while keeping the useful Grass/Poison typing, but I would make sure that you handle Feraligatr well before making that change. Oh and put that 4 HP EVs on Swellow in Def for a Stealth Rock number (switch into Stealth Rock four times and not faint).

Hope I helped!

Last edited:
Just going to say the edits I made after the last 2 comments.

Tallone (Sandslash) (M) Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Is now

Tallone (Sandslash) (M) Leftovers
EVs: 170 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Also swellow is now using pursuit in the pastebin and it's stated as an option.

Sorry for not replying to the ppl who commented their opinions. I want to test your suggestions a bit to see how well they work XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)