Constructing a new Standard[OU] (RMT)

Hello everyone, After being on here as a trader primarily, I decided I needed a little help with a team, as my last two have been failures, despite my hours of slaving over them. I've gone through the pokemon I already have on my game (EV'd or not) and created my first team without using my normal Wall combo of Blissey and Cresselia (who, despite being so amazing for me, is predictable to my normal opponents). I decided on this team, and, I think I need a little more insight into it.

A few disclaimers first. This team is for Wi-Fi and I'm sure that it won't be very effective on Shoddy (which I don't use anyways.) Bearing that in mind, all my pokemon are well bred, but, aren't 31/31/31/31/31/31 or whatever the best IV combo for a Hidden Power is. Also, this team is for a smaller metagame, where certain threats are much less common than others (Like, Tyranitar is non-existant). That in mind, I am going to have the standard threat list here, and what pokemon can deal with them.

Also, the other big issue is, I don't know who to lead with!

The team at a Glance:

IN DEPTH

Choice Band
Adamant
Clear Body
________
252 HP, 252 Attack, 6 Def.
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion/Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm/Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch

Metagross is my main Physical Sweeper, and, with Explosion, can off almost any pokemon not resisting it if I have issues. BoltBeamPunches allow me amazing type coverage, and Meteor Mash will crush many foes with ease, also giving me a chance for an attack boost. Bullet Punch was another option I was thinking of,and can off some weakened foes. Earthquake and Hammer Arm I have used with tremendous success on my old Metagross that had no Elemental Punches, but, I'm not really sure how well they will fit this team. I need some serious help on this guys set. Also, the item choice is escaping me. The Berries I use often, as I seem to always end up being hit with Earthquake and Flamethrower, but, Choice Band will guarantee me some KOs.

Leftovers
Impish
Sand Veil
________
252 HP, 252 Def., 6 Atk.
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Roost

This guy is pretty standard, and, as much as I used to favor Knock Off over Stealth Rock, this team needs to rocks support. Earthquake/Ice Fang is the standard attack combo, and, I have other Heracross answers in the team (and, Ice Fang does respectable damage to it anyways). Roost is obviously there to make myself more sturdy, and survive longer. Gliscor is something that always Plagued me back a few months ago, and, I decided to use it after I saw how good it was.

Leftovers
Bold
Water Absorb
________
188 HP, 252 Defense, 64 Special Defense
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Wish
- Protect

This Vaporeon's spread is almost standard, putting the Sp. Atk. EVs into Sp. Def. Why? Well, my Vaporeon's IVs are incredible, except for it's 2 in Sp. Atk, so, the EVs aimed to easily KO Garchomp with Ice Beam aren't possible, so, I'll 2HKO with no EVs. This also allows my Vaporeon to take even more abuse than normal, and not worry too much about getting hurt. This is another first for one of my teams (After not using Blissey and Cresselia), I've never used a Wisher on my team, and, Decided that without Blissey, my Special walling needs to be a little more sturdy, so, this not only allows me to rejuvinate my injured sweepers, but, also to pass to my next pokemon, who is my main Special Wall...

Leftovers/Black Sludge
Calm
Clear Body
________
204 HP, 96 Sp. Atk, 172 Sp. Def, 36 Spd OR 204 HP, 132 Def, 172 Sp. Def
- Surf
- Hidden Power: Electric (70)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Tentacruel is a beast, covers me on Special hits a little more, and supports my team. Though my team is reletively Entry Hazard safe (except for Spikes, which hits 5), Rapid Spinning is important, with 5 weak to Spikes. Every little bit of damage can hurt, so, I decided that Tentacruel fit the support and special walling role the best. Toxic Spikes allows me to have Toxic and Rocks on entry, and HP Electric and Surf for attacks. I'm a little torn on the EV spreads, because, while my IVs are good for the first one, I used to use a different Tentacruel with the second EV spread, and I was able to survive 2 Thunderpunches from an Infernape after my Black Sludge/Lefties recovery. If that was a weak infernape, I'm not really sure...

Choice Scarf
Adamant
Guts
________
56 HP, 252 Attack, 200 Speed
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge/Aerial Ace

A little different take on Heracross here. The EVs allow me to outspeed Max speed Jolly Weavile (since I decided that Jolteon wasn't really a threat to Heracross). The Moveset is a little different, as Heracross is both a Physical powerhouse sweeper as well as a Revenge Killer. Aerial Ace is for coverage against Infernape, Breloom, Machamp, and non-Scarf wearing Heracross, as well as a more accurate way to off Roserade. Pursuit and Stone Edge I'm iffy on. Stone Edge gives me better Gyarados coverage, where Pursuit allows me to get rid of Gengar, Azelf, and Starmie as they switch out, and, Gengar looks like it could be hard for this team to handle.

Life Orb
Naive
Blaze
________
24 Attack, 232 Special Attack, 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power: Ice (67)
- Grass Knot
- Flamethrower

Standard Mix-Ape with Hidden Power Ice due to everyone's reccomendation.

The Threats

Tyranitar: Gliscor can deal with all but Ice Beam BOAH. Vaporeon can deal with all but T-bolt BOAH, Tentacruel can deal if it's not using Earthquake, and Heracross can ruin it.

Gyarados: Vaporeon can heal support and stall, but be set up on. Infernape can Grass Knot it at low HP if it doesn't have a Dragon Dance. Metagross will ruin it with Thunder Punch, and survive 2 EQs with the Shucca Berry equipped. Heracross can Stone Edge if it's using that.

Infernape: Heracross is the main counter here. Tentacruel and Vaporeon can deal with Thunderpunchless versions

Azelf: Heracross ends it, but, No one really uses Azelf in my Metagame

Electivire: Gliscor and Heracross deal with him, but, he's not popular in my Metagame

Heracross: Gliscor

Salamence: Infernape, Gliscor on non-Specs, Vaporeon, Metagross can IcePunch on the switch in, and can deal with some physical version, and mixed versions with no Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Togekiss: Gliscor, Metagross, Infernape, Vaporeon

Gengar: Heracross on Scarfless, Scarfed ones can be Bullet Punched by Metagross

Garchomp: Half the team has an Ice attack, and can take an Outrage

Lucario: Dies to anything neutral or Super Effective. Infernape and Heracross eat it.

Starmie: Heracross ends it easiest, Tentacruel can deal with Recoverless ones.

Weavile: Heracross, Vaporeon, Metagross all have no issues

Dugtrio: Vaporeon and Gliscor can do good. Heracross can revenge kill

Porygon-Z: A little tricky. Heracross can deal with most attacks, and kill with Close Combat. Metagross can come in on a resisted and Hammer Arm or Meteor Mash

Machamp: Heracross and Gliscor are the best answers

Snorlax: Infernape, Metagross, Heracross all remove him.

Zapdos:Metagross, Infernape do the best with their Ice Moves

Suicune: Metagross will do the most with Thunder Punch, or Explosion, Infernape can Grass Knot at low Health, Restless versions will die to toxic Spikes eventually, Vaporeon and Tentacruel can stall it out of PP on Surf. Vaporeon completely walls it.

Breloom: Gliscor, Infernape, Metagross, Heracross all handle it well

Ninjask: sucks, no one uses it in our metagame, but, Bullet Punch, and Ice Moves remove it. Stealth Rock as well

Metagross: Infernape is the best answer.

Heatran: Vaporeon and Tentacruel completely wall him, Heracross, Infernape, and Gliscor OHKO him.

Celebi: Heracross shatters it, Metagross and Infernape can also deal massive damage

Jirachi: see Metagross

Dragonite: See Garchomp and Salamence

Mamoswine: Infernape and Heracross best deal with it. Vaporeon can take most of it's attacks, except maybe Banded Earthquakes.

Gallade: Heracross and Infernape should take it out no issues. Metagross can hurt it as well, but will take a significant hit from Close Combat. Gliscor walls Punchless version well.

Yanmega: Tentacruel deals with HP Groundless versions, Vaporeon deals with all of them.

Kingdra: Vaporeon and Tentacruel can stall it out and eventually kill it. Heracross can hit for good damage, Metagross can Explode, Infernape can hit for good damage, but probably die in the process.

Roserade: Infernape and Heracross completely ruin it. Metagross can handle HP Fireless versions and completely wall them.

Scizor: Infernape, Heracross can handle it, Gliscor can Stall it, Vaporeon can stall it and hit it's lower defense for neutral.

Many of these pokemon are not common, but, abeit, certain sets and pokemon combos will be incredibly difficult to deal with. Any help is appreciated with this team. Thanks.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I would not lead with Gliscor tbh. Gyarados, one of the most common leads can actually take him on without any problems, either killing it or to set-up. I would lead with Metagross with Choice Band, since Intimidate has no effect. If you decide to use Meta as your lead, put ThunderPunch on him, i'll give you a set at the end of this rate just in case you need it.

I would give Vaporeon the job to counter Gyarados, Tentacruel is ok at countering him, but random Earthquakes can kill it easily, while Vaporeon takes shit from all of his attacks, but this is Wi-Fi, so if you can't get HP Electric on Vapo, then just stick to Tenta, just be careful. Put the the 64 EV's on Special defence to Special Attack on Vaporeon, for the extra Power.

Just gonna point out something, but im not sure how common is Mamoswine in Wi-Fi, but Vaporeon is the only thing that can switch safely into it. Bronzong always fix this, provides a Stealth Rock support and is a good pokemon with good Resistances. I would consider going back to 24 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 232 Spd EV Spread on Infernape, since HP Ice is causing you to lose some speed evs that you need to outspeed some pokemon, but it's your choice.

The metagross set;

Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
- Meteor Mash
- Thunderpunch
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Bullet Punch

Explosion is to blow up and do some serious hurting on alot of pokemon, but Bullet Punch if you need to Hit fast.

I think I am forgetting something for some reason.

Hope I helped.

See, I lowered Infernape's speed because I find there's no threats that hit the speed between 1 point above Jolly Garchomp and Infernape's max speed. If there's a threat I'm forgetting, let me know, so I can change the EVs (Haven't EV'd the Ape yet).

Vaporeon with HP Electric will just take a little while. My Girlfriend is in the process of breeding us a new Vaporeon.

Mamoswine's popularity seems to be limited to myself on Wi-Fi in my metagame. I'm the only Mamoswine user, so it's not too much of a problem, but, would replacing Gliscor for Bronzong be a good idea? If so, what should the set be besides Rocks and Hypnosis (which I don't use on Zong, because it's notorious for missing 6 times in a row for me, even with Wide Lens equipped)

I like the idea of leading with CB Metagross. But, Why Earthquake? I've been using Metagross for over a year competetively, and, I have never, ever once needed Earthquake on him. It's usually a wasted slot, where Hammer Arm has more than come in handy.

Also, do you not think Ice Punch would be good for coverage on a starter? Let me know, I'll change my first post to reflect Metagross as my starter.

@ scofield: I dunno about where you battle on Wi-Fi, but, my own forum/metagame, and 2 other metagames I play in, Tar is nearly non-existant. I don't even see him on Sandstorm teams anymore on those metagames.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Since when was tyrannitar non existant in the wifi metagame? Last I played he was still on every other team.
Your point...?

See, I lowered Infernape's speed because I find there's no threats that hit the speed between 1 point above Jolly Garchomp and Infernape's max speed. If there's a threat I'm forgetting, let me know, so I can change the EVs (Haven't EV'd the Ape yet).

Vaporeon with HP Electric will just take a little while. My Girlfriend is in the process of breeding us a new Vaporeon.

Mamoswine's popularity seems to be limited to myself on Wi-Fi in my metagame. I'm the only Mamoswine user, so it's not too much of a problem, but, would replacing Gliscor for Bronzong be a good idea? If so, what should the set be besides Rocks and Hypnosis (which I don't use on Zong, because it's notorious for missing 6 times in a row for me, even with Wide Lens equipped)

I like the idea of leading with CB Metagross. But, Why Earthquake? I've been using Metagross for over a year competetively, and, I have never, ever once needed Earthquake on him. It's usually a wasted slot, where Hammer Arm has more than come in handy.

Also, do you not think Ice Punch would be good for coverage on a starter? Let me know, I'll change my first post to reflect Metagross as my starter.

@ scofield: I dunno about where you battle on Wi-Fi, but, my own forum/metagame, and 2 other metagames I play in, Tar is nearly non-existant. I don't even see him on Sandstorm teams anymore on those metagames.
Earthquake if for the common Tyranitar, which again, I'm not sure if it is a common lead in the Wi-Fi metagame. You could go Hammer Arm if you find Earthquake not doing much for you. Ice Punch could possibly be used for common Dragon leads, but you shouldn't stay in with a Salamence, due to a random Fire Blast.

Alright, Hammer Arm it is on the last slot I'm undecided about.

Now, what about Gliscor VS. Bronzong? Should I switch to Bronzong? Would make my team much less Mamoswine weak, and still gives me a strong physical wall and Rocks.

RIght okay first of all, can metagross actully learn ice punch ? I thought not. :S I don't rate Ice fang on Gilscore Stone edge is what makes Hera run away. Vap personly I pefer Baton pass/Sub/Wish/Surf but its up to you. Ace on hera never really Helps IMO EQ or Stone edge over that anyday. and finaly the ape I see HP ice, but no NP =[
ape with NP is GOD dude.

Hope this helps ~Misa~

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Heracross become deadly with Toxic Spikes. I would advice you keep Gliscor on the team, you already have Gliscor for Stealth Rock support, and a strong physical wall. The mamoswine weak you can take on a little better with Toxic Spikes on the field, with a little prediction, you can let Gliscor take the EQ's and Metagross the Ice attacks or Vaporeon can just Wish and Protect, but if you really want a Solid counter against him, Bronzong over Gliscor can work, but like I said, Heracross under toxic spikes is deadly.

@ Misa: Yes, it's an Emerald Move Tutor move. And, STAB Aerial Ace on GLiscor is what makes Heracross run actually... Ace on Hera is for more Fighting support. I have a serious problem with non-Scarf Hera and Infernape. And, I have no ability to get Nasty Plot on my Ape, I traded for it.

@ Venom: Alright, so, the team is looking a little better now thanks to your help. So, what other suggestions would you have besides getting a Vapor with HP Eleccy?

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Seeing how Bronzong and Gyarados are the most common leads in this game, I suggest going with something that can threaten one, or if not, both of them. You could always shift your Infernape as your lead as it threatens Bronzong and not allowing it to set up. I would suggest changing the EVs to the standard spread of 24 Atk, 232 SpA, 252 Spe as 24 EVs in attack with Life Orb is all that is needed to take down standard Blisseys. It is very rare that people will run 252 HP on Blissey as special defense EVs in this generation for her are crucial. The reason why you want 252 Speed is simply to outspeed all the other Infernapes.

Anyway, you have a bit of LO Mamoswine weakness. Vaporeon is probably your only solid counter but it is easily taken down with STAB LO Earthquakes. I would replace it for a reliable Mamoswine counter like Cresselia, Skarmory or Bronzong, all of which works fine. I would suggest Skarmory or Cresselia as Bronzong's utility moves are kind of redundant, with Stealth Rock covered by Gliscor and Toxic Spikes will render most pokemons to be immune to Hypnosis.

Seeing how you lack a status absorber, I would recommend using Restalk Cresselia with Calm Mind/Charge Beam and Psyhic, Grass Knot or Ice Beam. You want the stat up moves as you seriously lack hard hitters on the special side of the spectrum, asides Infernape.

ariel ace on heram is kindof pointless, as breloom and infernape are both OHKO by CC anyway split pursuit and stone edge

@ Junior: My problem with leading with Infernape is I like to hide him until the end of the match. I've done it with previous teams, and, it's been able to remove the last few remaining pokemon on a team no problems for a late game sweep. I realize that Zong and Gyarados are a little difficult with Metagross, but, Gyarados may not risk staying in to take a Choice Banded Thunderpunch, and, Bronzong will take decent damage from a Choice Banded Hammer Arm.

Also fixed the Infernape EVs, and EV trained it today, thanks to everyone's reccomendation.

Life Orb Mamoswine is a small issue, but, no one uses it in my Metagame. Banded Mamoswine is used by 2 people, and I'm one of them. Careful prediction can take out Banded Mamoswine. For other Metagames hwowever, I can run Rest/Talk Cresselia over Vapor.

@ beenman500: Fixed. You made a good point there. Can Heracross OHKO Other Heracross with anything tho? Aerial Ace was also there for non-Scarf enemy Heracross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)