Cradily (QC 1/3)

[OVERVIEW]

• Solid all-around bulk with access to recovery and other defensive merits such as storm drain.
  • Access to Stealth Rock, can switch in and set it up throughout the match
  • Great blanket check to water, electric, and normal types; IE lanturn, ludicolo, rotom-fan, quagsire, and swellow.
  • It is a notably good check to special water types that also has the ability to set rocks.
  • It's rock and grass typing makes it capable of effectively hitting most immediate hazard removal mons such as pellipper, prinplup, claydol, kabutops, and xatu.
  • Although having four weaknesses in bug, ice, fighting, and steel it definitely enjoys not having a 4X weakness that would allow it to be bopped by some hidden power or coverage move.
  • The passive nature of cradily allows it to often be set up on whether it's a wall setting hazards like weezing or miltank, or a set up sweeper like malamar or mega-dino.

[SET]

name: Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Recover
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Stone Edge / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Storm Drain
nature: Bold / Relaxed
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards helps add passive damage to the opposing team. In addition, it breaks sashes which helps out a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers.
  • Recover reliably heals Cradily and is useful for cradily to have the longevity it craves.
  • Giga Drain is cradily's most reliable STAB, provides extra recovery, and threatens hazard removes like sandslash, kabutops, prinplup, and claydol.
  • Stone edge is nice for the raw power and capability of hitting things like cryogonal, rotom-fan, jynx, magmortar and other mons weak to rock.
  • Another option is toxic since cradily doesn't hit hard anyway and could appreciate spreading status. And dealing with common switchins like hitmonchan.

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature give Cradily as much physical bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as all swellow sets, standard tauros, archeops, and kangaskhan.
  • A Relaxed nature should be used if one opts for Stone Edge so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into a decent check to the Water-types of the tier. It struggles due to it getting 2HKOd by most offensive water types's ice beams.
  • Leftovers gives Cradily some passive recovery

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is a fairly reliable switch into lots of normal types, electric types, and other powerful physical attackers like archeops and can use that time to set stealth rocks up and be a thorn in the side of you opponents team.
  • It still has enough special bulk to boot allowing it still come in on things like pyroar, rotom, and ludicolo. That being said it is not a reliable switch-in like the special set due two it getting 2HKOd by fireblast, willohex, and ice beam respectively.
  • Cradily can also set up rocks on things like vileplume and mega audino, who cradily can't do anything to hurt but for the most part it isn't afraid to stay in on the for a few turns.
  • Cradily can discourage hazard removers from coming in, like prinplup, claydol, pelippper, kabutops, sandslash, and xatu, with the threats of giga and stone edge/toxic.

Team Options
========

• Cradily appreciates a teammate who can reliably, or even unreliably, switch into fighting types such as vileplume, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna, pellipper, or weezing.
  • Pellipper is a fun team mate who can defensively stop sawk, remove hazards that cradily hates, counters steelix, and is a nice alternative water resist so physically defensive cradily can focus on other things. (also resists bug/fighting/steel while appreciating the electric resist.)
  • Grounded poisons, such as vileplume, skuntank and garbodor, are somewhat useful paired with cradily as they can remove toxic spikes and help keep cradily's status healthy.
  • Offensive Fire-types actually are often good with cradily due to being small checks to steel types ice types, and bug types, while appreciating cradily being able to discourage the use of water attacks. Examples are magmortar, who can notably check jynx, pyroar who adds to the speed, and combusken, who likes anything that discourages aqua jet.
  • Strong checks to ice types like magmortar and piloswine are imortant for physically defensive cradily as they slow down major threats like aurorus, abomasnow, and jynx.
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, musharna and vileplume. Cradily more then other things hates having to deal with residual damage as it's main positive it offers is it's amazing bulk.
  • Things that discourage set-up sweepers will come in handy, such as quagsire who also helps with steel types, frost breath ice types, and powerful wallbreakers.

[SET]

name: Specially Defensive
move 4: Stone Edge / Hidden Power-Rock / Toxic
nature: Calm / Sassy
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards helps add passive damage to the opposing team. In addition, it breaks sashes which helps out a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers.
  • Recover reliably heals Cradily and is useful for cradily to have the longevity it craves.
  • Giga Drain is cradily's most reliable STAB, provides extra recovery, and threatens hazard removes like sandslash, kabutops, prinplup, and claydol.
  • Stone edge is nice for the raw power and capability of hitting things like cryogonal, rotom-fan, jynx, magmortar and other mons weak to rock.
  • Another option is toxic since cradily doesn't hit hard anyway and could appreciate spreading status. It also lets it cripple common switchings like hitmonchan and non-guys hariyama.

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature give Cradily as much special bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as floatzel, pyroar, and lilligant.
  • A Sassy nature should be used if one opts for Stone Edge so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered.
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into an amazing check to the Water-types of the tier. Specially bulky cradily can far more reliably switch into most waters. However you still have to watch out for getting 2HKOd focus blast ludicolos that are often on rain teams.
  • Leftovers gives Cradily some passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is there to set stealth rocks and with recovery it has lots of opportunities to get rocks up, potentially multiple times in the same match.
  • It is good at coming in on special attacks or being a safe response to kanga fake outs. Switching it in on volt switches if and only if you have responses to anything that might want to set up on cradily.
  • If at all possible don't let cradily get poisoned because then it can commonly be stalled out by other walls if ur opponent isn't able to bring in their offensive threats who have grown too weak to take a weak hit from even cradily. Being poisoned simply isn't fun.
  • SpD cradily has enough bulk to take a +1 hurricane, even if the uncommon life orb set, from vivilion and hit back with stone edge. Because of it's grass typing, which makes it immune immune to sleep powder, cradily can be used to pivot in and out of powder moves from the likes of lilligant and vivillon but struggles to actually beat these boosting sweepers due to both 2HKOing and cradily needing to hit them twice to kill.

Team Options
========

• Cradily wants a team mate who can reliably, or even unreliably, switch into fighting types such as vileplume, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna or weezing.
  • Offensive Fire-types actually are often good with cradily due to being small checks to steel types ice types, and bug types, while appreciating cradily being able to discourage the use of water attacks. Examples are magmortar, who can notably check jynx, pyroar who adds to the speed, and combusken, who likes anything that discourages aqua jet.
  • Grounded poisons, such as vileplume, skuntank and garbodor, are somewhat useful paired with cradily as they can remove toxic spikes and help keep cradily's status healthy.
  • Bulky things that can handle archeops tend to work well with SpD cradily such as ferroseed, rhydon, and steelix.
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, musharna and vileplume.
  • Things that discourage set-up sweepers will come in handy, such as quagsire who also helps with steel types, frost breath ice types, and powerful wallbreakers.
  • Obviously strong switchins to cradily's other type weaknesses are nice such as piloswine, hariyama, lanturn, and magnet pull probopass.
  • Other hazard removers that hate water can also hugely help cradily out IE: sandslash, or claydol.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Weakness Policy allows Cradily to take advantage of non-STAB super effective coverage moves such as floatzel's Ice Beam, garbodor's Drain Punch, swellow's U-turn, and kangaskhan's Drain Punch. Earth Power is recommended on this set for coverage on more threats such as garbodor, skuntank, mawile, klinklang, and pawniard. The main problem is it is less effective at getting rocks up because it misses out on passive recovery.
  • Dual Dance cradily is an interesting set that can be a nice alternative to rhydon and torterra, the main benefit being it's access to storm drain and stab stone edge. For the most part the other two will be able to hit relatively harder making this a less favored choice.
  • Earth Power as a coverage option is nice as it hits muk, garbodor, skunktank, klinklang, mawile, probopass, and pawniard.
  • Rocky Helmet physically defensive cradily is an option that can be a viable counter to things like all swellow sets, kanga, archeops, non iron head tauros, non cross chop e-vire, meanwhile even if they do do those moves they have to do them as cradily switches in since they both do about 50%.
  • It does have access to mirror coat for surprise factor but's it's often not able to fit it in.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stab Super-Effective Moves**: Although there are quite a few, the most notable ones are hariyama who can counter cradily anytime while easily living the whole match, sawk who is hard to stop with other mons, aurorus who is in the same boat, piloswine since it hits physically hits very hard. Some other examples that hit hard physically or are specially se such as abomansnow, zangoose, pawniard, mawile, scyther, pinsir, primeape, gurdurr, combusken, and jynx.

**Bulky Walls**: Bulky walls that aren't weak to cradily's coverage. Miltank, weezing, ferroseed and vileplume can all ignore cradily and go about their business.

**Taunt Users**: This one is just universal but taunt users tend to through cradily into a pickle. Examples are mismagius, weezing, and skuntank.

**Set-up Sweepers**: Things like malamar and mega-audino have no trouble setting up on the relatively passive nature of cradily.

**Poison/Steel Types**: If cradily is not running ground coverage things like garbodor, mawile, and klingklang will go about their buisness with little to no consequence.

Last edited:
So it's worth noting this is both my first analysis and I used Roll-out-Shuckle's version to learn how they were made :}

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-new-analysis-formatting-guide.3537802/
fix your formatting please there are a lot of errors, I know its your first time but if you used rollout shuckle's version there would be no mistakes at all

Overview needs to be in bullet point form

Why are there random mons bolded, dont do that

Ancientpower > Hp Rock lol

I know kiyo had some support from it, but I am strongly rejecting the weakness policy set for now - yes it may have niches but its super team specific and not as easy to just put on a team as the support set is

Honestly if you could just straight c/p rollout shuckles thread that'd be really great so you dont have to bother fixing all the formatting

Was NOT saying I used his style saying anything wrong was his fault. I was simply giving credit where it was due since he had put a lot of the prior work in.

Will fix the overview thing asap.

I bolded the mons that were important like if I was listing good team mates and I said "magmortar would check jynx" I bolded mortar as to show it was the solid team mate nkt jynx.

The main problem with ainciant power is that it doesn't have as much pp and the boosts that can happen from ap are very unreliable.
16 pp > 8 pp expecially on a defensive mon that could end up in a stall war.

The weakness policy set is good on paper and better in practice. Its really not any harder to fit on a team then standard dily considering both take about the samish number of support mons.

Will fix the overview thing asap.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
yeah i am 100% for removing that WP policy set, the only other set i would consider including is Physically Defensive which is a monster in this meta, and also include DoubleDance in OO.

edit: The bolded things don't need to be included, QC Team actually is annoyed by it and the bold doesn't appear on the dex

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I spoke with Blast and Punchshroom about the weakness policy set, and they both agree that it should be removed - with support from 4 qc members, please move it to other options. End of story. Thanks.

[21:21] +Punchshroom:OO; exposing Cradily to SE moves just seems iffy, and if u keep Cradily safe lacking Lefties just doesn't seem favorable

I spoke with Blast and Punchshroom about the weakness policy set, and they both agree that it should be removed - with support from 4 qc members, please move it to other options. End of story. Thanks.

[21:21] +Punchshroom:OO; exposing Cradily to SE moves just seems iffy, and if u keep Cradily safe lacking Lefties just doesn't seem favorable

Ill do it when I get the chance.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There hasn't been any reasoning on why dropping the WP from the main set is a good reason. I've seen it work multiple times for you dentri cause you use the shit outta it, but the thing is that this is supposed to be a general set that anyone can easily use. The problem with WP is that it is a one time use and as soon as you activate it and switch you are - an item, or if you activate it to early its like you are hindering yourself instead of having leftovers. If we make an offensive set than you can mention WP in set details as I know that Kiyo was strongly for having one.

bolts edit: I talked with him earlier on ps and explained more on why we dropped the set, mostly this stuff

In OO, you're confusing Mirror Coat with Magic Coat. To clarify, it learns Mirror Coat (like you put), but the effect of Mirror Coat is a special-type analogue of Counter (ie deals back double the damage suffered from a special hit). It can lure certain special attackers (ie, those that can 2HKO but not OHKO it) but that Cradily will probably lose too much health in the process to be able to do anything useful afterwards.

In OO, you're confusing Mirror Coat with Magic Coat. To clarify, it learns Mirror Coat (like you put), but the effect of Mirror Coat is a special-type analogue of Counter (ie deals back double the damage suffered from a special hit). It can lure certain special attackers (ie, those that can 2HKO but not OHKO it) but that Cradily will probably lose too much health in the process to be able to do anything useful afterwards.
heh derp yeh

I am now working on adding a defensive cradily set per suggestion of BoltsAndBombers via pm. I am probably not going to have it out for a little bit of time since I will be doing other things but expect the edit at some point today.

Edit: k so for now I just replaced what some of the things I said with what Rollout said in a way that i thought would make the most sense. Since he had the defensive cradily as part of the set details. HOWEVER I do understand it functions very differently from the first cradily set and therefor deserves it's own set n_n

More changes to happen tomorrow.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
so I was going through an checking this over, and I found a lot of common and easily fixable mistakes I want to go over with you. so whenever you find me on Showdown PM me please

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
k I got your first QC check here dentri, I'll try and go easy on you :) sorry for making you wait so long!

comments in b-b-b-b-b-b-bold

[OVERVIEW]

• Solid 86 / 97 / 107 bulk and access to reliable recovery make it a good special or mixed wall One thing to note about overview is to not include the stats in here. If you look at the pokedex, you'll notice that there's a section right about the overview that lists all of the Pokemon's stats, so including them in Overview is redundant. However, it's fine if you just want to mention its "nice all-around bulk," access to recovery, and other defensive merits like SR, Storm Drain etc etc in this point
  • Great blanket check to a lot of stuff What kind of "stuff"? You should be specific and name things when you can
  • It is a notably good check to (should specify Special Waters. Samurott destroys dilly) water types that also has the ability to set rocks. (this mention about its weaknesses should probably be its own point. It's preferred a mon's positives are the first half of the overview and its negatives are the second half) Although having four weaknesses in bug, ice, fighting, and steel it definitely enjoys not having a 4X weakness that would allow it to be bopped by some hidden power or coverage move.
  • It's rock and grass typing makes it capable of effectively hitting most immediate hazard removal mons such as pellipper, prinplup, claydol, kabutops, and xatu.
  • Interesting typing, can check Electric-types as well as Tauros and non-PuP Kangaskhan PuP Kangaskhan is not a relevant set so you don't need to mention it. Moreover, I would just say how Cradily can check most Normal-, Electric-, and Water-types, but to be wary of Electrics Volt Switching out
  • However, its typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves Cradily open to common Fighting-type moves You can remove this point considering you had it covered in a previous one
  • The passive nature of cradily allows it to often be set up on whether it's a wall setting hazards like weezing or miltank, or a set up sweeper like malamar or mega-dino.

[SET]

name: Defensive Cradily You don't need to have the mon's name in the name section
move 1: Recover
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Stone Edge / Hidden Power-Rock / Toxic
move 4: Stealth Rock
evs: 248 HP / 252 DeF (it's just Def) / 8 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

I'm pretty sure nobody told you, but the order of moves is important. It should be the main purpose of the set down to supporting moves. Considering every Cradily's objective is to set Rocks, I would say order of moves should go Stealth Rock > Recover > Giga Drain > Stone Edge/Toxic. Make sure you change up the order of your points here, too.
  • Recover reliably heals Cradily and is definitely necessary for cradily to have the longevity it craves. You don't need to mention it's "necessary" just mention how it's useful for providing Cradily with longevity
  • Giga Drain is essential since cradily as it can chounter sd rhydon by tanking a +2 earthquake and returning a 87.5% OHKO. It also allows it to check physical rott but not counter, hits lanturn and quag for good damage, and is just a reliable STAB move cradily can use. uh it's not that anything you said here is objectively wrong, but it's just a little messy. I'd say just mention how Giga is your most reliable STAB, provides extra recovery, and threatens specific hazard removes like Sandslash, Kabu, and Claydol
  • While stone edge is nice for the raw power and capability of hitting things physically frail things like cryogonal, HP rock is more reliable and let's cradily run calm and therefore speed creep. Special rock moves tend to be less effective in general which should be noted in addition to being 60% of the power of stone miss. Refer to moves and Pokemon by their actual names, "stone miss" is not really acceptable. Moreover, I don't really see the point of HP Rock over Stone Edge, I'd remove it completely unless there's a target it specifically hits. Mention why you would pick Edge, IE to be offensive and threaten Flyers and hazard removers that Giga Drain doesn't. Make sure you mention names!
  • Another option is toxic since cradily doesn't hit hard anyway and could appreciate spreading status.
  • Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards to break sashes helps a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers. hm well the main point of Stealth Rock isn't to break focus sashes, it's to just get passive damage off on the opponent every time they switch in.

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature give Cradily as much physical bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as all swellow sets, standard tauros, archeops, and fake out abusers like kangaskhan. Don't need to mention "all" Swellow sets and Cradily does not beat the only other Fake Out user, Hariyama, so you can just say Kangaskhan.
  • A Relaxed nature should be used if one opts for Rock Slide (Stone Edge) so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into a decent check to the Water-types of the tier

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is a fairly reliable switch in to a few physical attackers in the meta and can use that time to set stealth rocks up and be a thorn in the side of you opponents team. It's important to emphasize what physically defensive Cradily switches into. Phys Def Cradily switches into a whole slew of different things than SpDef and that should be outlined here
  • It still has enough special bulk to boot allowing it still come in on things like pyroar, rotom, and ludicolo. That being said it is not a reliable switch-in like the special set. Explain why it isn't reliable. Does it need to switch into some specific attack or move these Pokemon carry? I'm not a big fan of mentioning rotom here either considering it either Volt Switches or WispHexes you, but if you want to keep it I don't care that much.
  • Keep in mind you are using cradily on a core. Try to predict as much as possible so cradily doesn't have to be the only one tanking hits for the squad. This sounds like half parts intuitive, half parts team options. Obviously if you're expecting your opponent to go to a Normal-type you can go to Cradily. I'd say remove this point entirely.
  • If at all possible don't let cradily get poisoned because then it can commonly be stalled out by other walls if ur opponent isn't able to bring in their offensive threats who have grown too weak to take a weak hit from even cradily. Being poisoned simply isn't fun. This is pretty intuitive. Obviously any Pokemon hates being Poisoned. You can remove this point entirely.
Try and mention specific opportunities for Cradily to set up Stealth Rocks.

Also mention how it should go about threatening hazard removers.

Team Options
========

• Cradily always needs ("always needs" is not true because each team is different. try "appreciates a teammate") a team mate who can reliably (or even unreliably) (no need for these parentheses here) switch into fighting types such as vileplume, granbull, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna or weezing
  • Strong checks to ice types like magmortar and piloswine are imortant for physically defensive cradily.
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, granbull, musharna and vileplume. why does this support help Cradily? be specific
  • Obviously strong switchins to cradily's other type weaknesses are nice such as piloswine, hariyama, lanturn, and magnet pull probopass a lot of these are only for cradily's ice weakness, which you covered in a previous bullet. you can remove this point
  • Pellipper is a fun team mate who can defensively stop sawk, remove hazards that cradily hates, and is a nice alternative stop top something that might be using a choiced focus blast. "something that might be using" is extremely vague, try and narrow it down to some other mons that threaten cradily that peli beats. if peli doesn't really cover anything else I don't see why it should have its own slot, considering you already have a bullet about Fighting switch-ins. and does Cradily really hate hazards? I understand it hates tspikes, but that's about all that realllllly bothers it.
  • Other hazard removers that hate water can also hugely help cradily out IE: sandslash, or claydol aside from dily covering their water weakness, I don't see much point in including these guys, especially considering the fact that phys def dily is not a great water-type switch-in.

[SET]

name: NU Standard SpD Cradily just go with "Specially Defensive"
move 1: Recover
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Stone Edge / Hidden Power-Rock / Toxic
move 4: Stealth Rock

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

I'd like to see the same moves order as the phys def set
  • Recover reliably heals Cradily and is definitely necessary for cradily to have the longevity it craves.
  • Giga Drain is essential since cradily's primary objective is to check waters and bar ludicolo/pellipper (hit by stone miss) they hate to be hit by even uninvested stab grass moves. On top of that it gives it nice coverage to hit common rock type leads like rhydon, regirock, or carracosta.
  • While stone edge is nice for the raw power and capability of hitting things physically frail like cryogonal, while HP rock is more reliable and let's cradily run calm and therefore speed creep. Special rock moves tend to be less effective in general which should be noted in addition to being 60% of the power of stone miss.
  • Another option is toxic since cradily doesn't hit hard anyway and could appreciate spreading status.
  • Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards to break sashes helps a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers.
Make the same changes here that I mentioned in the phys def set

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature give Cradily as much special bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as Floatzel, Pyroar, and Lilligant
  • A Sassy nature should be used if one opts for Rock Slide (Stone Edge) so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into a decent check to the Water-types of the tier it's not just a "decent" check if it's spdef, try and emphasize this more

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is there to set stealth rocks and with recovery you will likely be able to get them up multiple times assuming you are able to actively prevent cradily from switching out after taking too much damage. don't say "you will" in usage tips unless it's an actual guarantee. since you're telling the reader how to do something, write it like you're instructing them. Explain what Cradily sets Rocks up on and how it should go about doing that
  • It is good at coming in on special attacks or being a safe response to kanga fake outs. Switching it in on volt switches if and only if you have responses to anything that might want to set up on cradily. it can come in safely against any special attack? be specific here about what special attacks Cradily switches in on
  • Keep in mind you are using cradily on a core. Try to predict as much as possible so cradily doesn't have to be the only one tanking hits for the squad. same comment as before
  • If at all possible don't let cradily get poisoned because then it can commonly be stalled out by other walls if ur opponent isn't able to bring in their offensive threats who have grown too weak to take a weak hit from even cradily. Being poisoned simply isn't fun. same comment as before
try and mention if Cradily is a nice stop to any specific sweeper. Vivillon is a big one I can think of off the top of my head

Team Options
========

• Cradily always needs a team mate who can reliably (or even unreliably) switch into fighting types such as vileplume, granbull, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna or weezing
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, granbull, musharna and vileplume.
  • Obviously strong switchins to cradily's other type weaknesses are nice such as piloswine, hariyama, lanturn, and magnet pull probopass
  • Pellipper is a fun team mate who can defensively stop sawk, remove hazards that cradily hates, and is a nice alternative stop top something that might be using a choiced focus blast.
  • Other hazard removers that hate water can also hugely help cradily out IE: sandslash, or claydol
uh try not to copy and paste sections. I know there are some similarities between these sets, but they both function way differently and the team should be reflective of that. When you're thinking about mons in this section think "what does this set offer for the team and which Pokemon benefit from that? Are there any mons that can help this mon do its job better?" Try and rewrite this section from scratch, keeping in mind SpDef dily's notable niches. If you need help, find me or another QC member on PS

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Earth Power as a coverage option is nice as it hits muk, garbodor, skunktank, klinklang, mawile, probopass, and pawniard.
  • Rocky Helmet physically defensive cradily is an option that can be a viable counter to things like all swellow sets, kanga, archeops, non iron head tauros, non cross chop e-vire, meanwhile even if they do do those moves they have to do them as cradily switches in since they both do about 50%.
  • It does have access to mirror coat for surprise factor but's it's often not able to fit it in.
  • CurDily is something some people like with stone edge, curse, rest, and sleep talk but is very suseptiple to taunt, malamar, and the fact it's typing can be exploitable by other set up sweepers. Also is not very good at getting up enough curses before a fighting or steel type comes in and ends it's life. Yeah this is borderline unviable. Remove it
  • Sludge Bomb is a good surprise option and provides some coverage against Pokemon such as tangela, shiftry, leafeon, and mega-audino. One of the main benefits it adds is when you are facing leech seed users it gives cradily the coverage to be a counter while spreading status. Most of the time vileplume does this better but if your team needs rocks there is always that. I don't see much of a point in this when you can just Toxic them and stall them out. I'm going to say remove it
  • (will give strong OO mention in write-up) Weakness Policy allows Cradily to take advantage of non-STAB super effective coverage moves such as Floatzel's Ice Beam, Garbodor's Drain Punch, Swellow's U-turn, and Kangaskhan's Drain Punch. Earth Power is recommended on this set for coverage on more threats such as Garbodor, Skuntank, Mawile, Klinklang, and Pawniard. Don't get too strong with it, it's OO for a reason
you can mention dual dance here. it's a little different from tort because it has rock stab and a water immunity

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Hard-Hitters**: Although there are quite a few, the most notable ones are Hariyama who can counter cradily anytime while easily living the whole match, Sawk who is hard to stop with other mons, Aurorus who is in the same boat, Piloswine since it hits physically hits very hard.

**Bulky Walls**: Bulky walls that aren't weak to cradily's coverage. Miltank, Weezing, Vileplume, and Hariyama can all ignore cradily and go about their business. Hariyama is not a wall so it does not belong in this section.

**Strong Attackers**: Things that hit hard physically or are specially se such as Zangoose, Pawniard, Mawile, Scyther, Pinsir, Primeape, Gurdurr, Combusken, and Jynx I'd combine this section with "Bulky Hard-Hitters" for just one section of "Pokemon with Super Effective Coverage" and just mention a handful of strong Pokemon that pressure Cradily.

**Taunt/Toxic Users**: This one is just universal but toxic or taunt users tend to through cradily into a pickle. Remove Toxic mention, like I said before it's intuitive that a mon hates being Toxic'd. In regard to Taunt, mention some common users and explain why they give Cradily trouble.

mention Steel-types here. Mawile/Klinklang set up on Cradily and Ferro sets up hazards

Poison-types are also big. Garb sets up spikes on dily and weezing just shuts it down

oh and mention set up sweepers in general. stuff like CroDino, Malamar, and anything with Substitute makes Cradily a joke
this is a lot of stuff, so tag me when you're done and I'll go over it again for your first stamp.

sorry I made it really meaty, there was just a lot I wanted to put out there. it's very good content-wise for a first analysis, your experience with this mon really shows here!

Disjunction

Hey I implemented most of your comments. Could you look through and tell me if I missed anything?

I did purposely leave in pellipper section for physical cradily and sludge bomb in other options section, and avoiding toxic in the usage sections. Would probably want to discuss these more.

EDIT: Toxic/Sludgebomb mentions removed

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
k dentri I got your follow up check here

[OVERVIEW]

• Solid all-around bulk with access to recovery and other defensive merits ("other defensive merits" is odd if all you're going to mention is drain. just mention how storm drain provides a useful water immunity) such as storm drain.
  • Great blanket check to water, electric, and normal types; IE lanturn, ludicolo, rotom-fan, quagsire, and swellow.
  • It is a notably good check to special water types that also has the ability to set rocks. Although having four weaknesses in bug, ice, fighting, and steel it definitely enjoys not having a 4X weakness that would allow it to be bopped by some hidden power or coverage move.
  • Although having four weaknesses in bug, ice, fighting, and steel it definitely enjoys not having a 4X weakness that would allow it to be bopped by some hidden power or coverage move. this is redundant. it's like saying "prinplup really enjoys not having base 20 speed so it can speed tie with common defensive threats." it's obvious that it's nice for a defensive mon to not have extra downsides.

[SET]

name: Defensive
move 4: Stone Edge / Toxic
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards helps add passive damage to the opposing team. In addition, it breaks sashes which helps out a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers. while it's not wrong, I would remove the mention of rocks breaking sashes. sash users in nu are fairly rare and keeping your information short, concise, and relevant is a big part of the writing process.

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature (specifically mention Bold here instead of "nature") give Cradily as much physical bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as all swellow sets, standard tauros, archeops, and kangaskhan.
  • A Relaxed nature should be used if one opts for Stone Edge so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into a decent check to the Water-types of the tier

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is a fairly reliable switch into lots of normal types, electric types, and other powerful physical attackers like archeops and can use that time to set stealth rocks up and be a thorn in the side of you opponents team. cute but don't add unnecessary decal to your sentences.
  • It still has enough special bulk to boot allowing it still come in on things like pyroar, rotom, and ludicolo. That being said it is not a reliable switch-in like the special set due two it getting 2HKOd by fireblast, willohex, and ice beam respectively. I think there's a better way to word this, but the meaning's there so I'll leave it for the next QC'er or you to decide on how to rephrase it
  • If at all possible don't let cradily get poisoned because then it can commonly be stalled out by other walls if ur opponent isn't able to bring in their offensive threats who have grown too weak to take a weak hit from even cradily. Being poisoned simply isn't fun. This is not up for debate. We've decided as a team that mentioning how Pokemon are whittled by status is intuitive and should not be included in usage tips. Remove it.
  • Cradily can also set up rocks on things like vileplume and mega audino, who cradily can't do anything to hurt but for the most part it isn't afraid to stay in on the for a few turns.
  • Cradily can discourage hazard removers from coming in, like prinplup, claydol, pelippper, kabutops, sandslash, and xatu, with the threats of giga and stone edge/toxic.
  • Hitmonchan is one of the hardest removers for cradily to deal with. Toxic would be preferable so you can wear it down. You can combine this point with the above point and just mention that Hitmonchan is an exception because it isn't particularly afraid of anything that dily can dish out

Team Options
========

• Cradily appreciates a teammate who can reliably, or even unreliably, switch into fighting types such as vileplume, granbull, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna, pellipper, or weezing.
  • Pellipper is a fun team mate who can defensively stop sawk, remove hazards that cradily hates, and is a nice alternative water resist so physically defensive cradily can focus on other things. If you're going to insist on keeping this mention, try and focus on how Pelipper and Cradily interact. Peli hates Electrics and dily can handle them fairly well, dily specifically hates tspikes (doesn't mind other hazards nearly as much because of its access to reliable recovery), and peli covers a big chunk of dily's weaknesses, Bug- Steel- and Fighting-types. Try and reword this section around these new points.
  • Strong checks to ice types like magmortar and piloswine are imortant for physically defensive cradily.
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, granbull, musharna and vileplume. Cradily more then other things hates having to deal with residual damage as it's main positive it offers is it's amazing bulk. just add on to the first sentence by saying these heal bellers heal Toxic. Also remove the mention of Granbull since it's RU now

[SET]

name: Specially Defensive
move 4: Stone Edge / Hidden Power-Rock (don't forget to remove this) / Toxic

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

• Stealth rock is the main utility cradily adds when putting it on a team. Setting hazards helps add passive damage to the opposing team. In addition, it breaks sashes which helps out a good number of sweepers or even just fast wallbreakers. same comments as before

Set Details
========

• The EVs and nature (specifically mention Calm here instead of "nature") give Cradily as much special bulk as possible in order to tank hits from Pokemon such as floatzel, pyroar, and lilligant.
  • A Sassy nature should be used if one opts for Stone Edge so that Cradily's Attack is not lowered.
  • Storm Drain turns Cradily into an amazing check to the Water-types of the tier. Specially bulky cradily can far more reliably switch into most waters. However you still have to watch out for the partially common focus blast ludicolo that is often on rain teams.
  • Leftovers gives Cradily some passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

• Cradily is there to set stealth rocks and with recovery it has lots of opportunities to get rocks up, potentially multiple times in the same match.
  • It is good at coming in on special attacks or being a safe response to kanga fake outs. Switching it in on volt switches if and only if you have responses to anything that might want to set up on cradily.
  • If at all possible don't let cradily get poisoned because then it can commonly be stalled out by other walls if ur opponent isn't able to bring in their offensive threats who have grown too weak to take a weak hit from even cradily. Being poisoned simply isn't fun. Same as above.
  • SpD cradily has enough bulk to take a +1 life orb hurricane from vivilion and kill with stone edge. Because of it's grass typing, which makes it immune immune to sleep powder, cradily is on the more reliable side of vivi switch-ins. If they are running sash vivi then you might have to finish it off with another mons priority. sash viv doesn't 2HKO at +1 so just remove this. I'd also just shorten the overall point by tagging "and has an immunity to Sleep Powder" somewhere in the first sentence, but that's not a pressing concern.

Team Options
========

• Cradily wants a team mate who can reliably, or even unreliably, switch into fighting types such as vileplume, granbull, xatu, garbodor, mesprit, musharna or weezing. remove grumpy granbull
  • Bulky things that can handle archeops tend to work well with SpD cradily such as feroseed and rhydon.
  • Things with heal bell really help cradily such as miltank, lanturn, granbull, musharna and vileplume. grumpy granbull
  • Obviously strong switchins to cradily's other type weaknesses are nice such as piloswine, hariyama, lanturn, and magnet pull probopass.
  • Other hazard removers that hate water can also hugely help cradily out IE: sandslash, or claydol.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Weakness Policy allows Cradily to take advantage of non-STAB super effective coverage moves such as floatzel's Ice Beam, garbodor's Drain Punch, swellow's U-turn, and kangaskhan's Drain Punch. Earth Power is recommended on this set for coverage on more threats such as garbodor, skuntank, mawile, klinklang, and pawniard. The main problem is it is less effective at getting rocks up because it misses out on passive recovery. When you're introducing a specific set in OO, you should mention the moveset. Example:
    A special attacking set with Sunny Day / Fire Blast / Solar Beam / Hidden Power Ground lures typical Rapidash switch-ins, such as Quagsire and Rhydon, while still hitting hard with its STAB, sun-boosted Fire Blasts.
    written by yours truly of course
  • Dual Dance cradily is an interesting set that can be a nice alternative to rhydon and torterra, the main benefit being it's access to storm drain and stab stone edge. For the most part the other two will be able to hit relatively harder making this a less favored choice.
  • Sludge Bomb is a good surprise option and provides some coverage against Pokemon such as tangela, shiftry, leafeon, and mega-audino. One of the main benefits it adds is when you are facing leech seed users it gives cradily the coverage to be a counter while spreading status. Most of the time vileplume does this better but if your team needs rocks there is always that. I'm still pretty adamant about removing this. None of the Pokemon you mention suffer anymore from a Sludge Bomb than they would Toxic. The only case I could see is Shiftry, but everything else either doesn't do anything to Cradily (Tangela, Leafeon) or sets up on it regardless (MDino). Please remove this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Stab Super-Effective Moves**: Although there are quite a few, the most notable ones are hariyama who can counter cradily anytime while easily living the whole match, sawk who is hard to stop with other mons, aurorus who is in the same boat, piloswine since it hits physically hits very hard. Some other examples that hit hard physically or are specially se such as zangoose, pawniard, mawile, scyther, pinsir, primeape, gurdurr, combusken, and jynx. Be more focused with this, it feels like you're trying to say too much at once. Just say how Cradily has a lot of weaknesses and mention maybe 2-3 wallbreakers that pressure it.

**Bulky Walls**: Bulky walls that aren't weak to cradily's coverage. Miltank, weezing, ferroseed and vileplume can all ignore cradily and go about their business.

**Taunt Users**: This one is just universal but taunt users tend to through cradily into a pickle. (sentence doesn't add any content and is fluff) Examples are mismagius, weezing, and skuntank. Why do these mons give Cradily trouble? Be specific. Cradily's main role is to set up Rocks, it's reliant on Toxic for damage on a lot of Pokemon, and it's easy to whittle down without Recover.

**Set-up Sweepers**: Things like malamar and mega-audino have no trouble setting up on the relatively passive nature of cradily.

**Poison/Steel Types**: If cradily is not running ground coverage things like garbodor, mawile, and klingklang will go about their buisness with little to no consequence.because why? be specific and mention how they cannot be Toxic'd and switch into Cradily's STABs
this is still bullet form so it doesn't need to be perfect until after your second QC check, but there are a couple small grammar things that could be brushed up. Fire-type instead of fire type is a big one, capitalizing names of Pokemon, and making sure you aren't copying and pasting sections between sets. The GP team works hard enough so it's important for us writers to get the basics down :)

if you have any questions, be it on grammar or any of my changes, shoot me a message and I'll get you settled.

but if not, implement all of these changes and I think this is ready for a 1/3

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you repeat yourself about not having a 4x weakness in the overview, remove one of the lines, idc which

remove granbull mentions, add mentions of new drops where you see fit

is the physically defensive set really still a water check with storm drain? or is it just to some of them? i.e. otter that hasnt boosted, passive water types like mantine and prinplup, does it lose to floatzel, ludicolo, and special attacking otter variants? help the reader out here, they should come away from the analysis knowing what cradily does and how to use it. these arent simply a set dump with some info on why you chose the moves you did, if the readers wanted to test mons for themselves and figure out how it plays and whats best they would.

you mention cradily gets set up on quite a bit throughout the analysis, mention something in team options that remedies this (i.e. quagsire, frost breath ice types, powerful wallbreaker)

some of your usage tips seem like a stretch, and could be listed in moves alternatively. i.e. you talk about toxic hitting hitmonchan, mention that in moves imo rather than saying "it could appreciate spreading status"

you mention hp rock in specially defensive, why would i use that over ancientpower? if theres a reason make sure you list it and explain why its the superior / inferior option

again mention which water types cradily struggles to beat based on its ev spread and nature, im sure spdef doesnt like taking LO megahorns from mixed or physical samurott for example.

i dont really understand why you're mentioning cradily taking a +1 lo hurricane from vivi, lo isnt standard and you're even describing this mon as a shaky check at best. you can opt to mention that cradily can be used to pivot in and out of powder moves from the likes of lilligant and vivillon but struggles to beat these boosting sweepers. the way you ahve it phrased now it seems like you're writing an rmt of a team with cradily thats pretty weak to vivillon. again you're here to inform the reader of how cradily functions in general and how to use it, not how it fits on a specific build of team.

you mention not wanting cradily to get poisoned, be sure to mention grounded poisons in team option as they can abosrb toxic spikes, you mention a ton of poison types already so it shouldnt be difficult to fit in there.

as a general note, if you're suggesting a certain mon in team options its likely because you've had success with it in the past. rather than simply listing that one pokemon, take a step back and determine why it performs well with the mon you're writing about, if its typign its likely there are other pokemon that fit the bill and perform similarily by grouping these things together you're giving the reader more information about potential teammates and also increasing their metagame knowledge inadvertently

to build off that last point always explain why something works, or why the pokemon needs that support, not just sometimes. if you cant think of a legitimate reason that something needs support its probably not worth putting down. make sure you go back and elaborate on points like "strong checks to ice type such as _____ are important" make sure theres some explanation as to why there as well as how those mons do that role.

i'd like to take another look at this when you've gone over and implemented these points, tag me when you've done so please Dentricos

Kiyo

I can't double check if I implemented all rn because lots of college work, sorry if I missed anything.

"as a general note, if you're suggesting a certain mon in team options its likely because you've had success with it in the past. rather than simply listing that one pokemon, take a step back and determine why it performs well with the mon you're writing about, if its typign its likely there are other pokemon that fit the bill and perform similarily by grouping these things together you're giving the reader more information about potential teammates and also increasing their metagame knowledge inadvertently"

Didn't follow, example please :D

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
sorry but this is being reassigned, I understand real life getting in the way but this is still taking way too long

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)