Cress Rules!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Cress Rules~!

This is my first OU RMT (the others were from other tiers, check my sig for links), because it’s been my first team that hasn’t been so bad that it wasn’t beyond improvement. It’s been fairly successful, hitting a cre of […] on pokelab. Without further ado, here's my team!

At a glance:

---------

Heatran (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Rash nature (+SpAtk,-SpDef)
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Hidden Power - Grass
- Overheat

This particular Heatran isn’t that common a lead, but it works really well. It’s basically a specstran (only 5% less power) except it can switch moves. The only thing timid/naïve nature really gets is the tie with other Heatran who I obviously lose to, and beating smeargle, who still sleeps heatran and gets a layer (Metagross never runs max+ speed, and Breloom is scared out), however the extra power is so worth it. Have some calcs.
- Overheat vs 4 hp Starmie - 71% - 83.6% (Timid Shuca Berry Heatran with Fire Blast does 42.7% - 50.4%)
- Overheat vs 252 hp Gliscor - 117.2% - 138.1% (Shuca Tran - 70-83%)
- Flash Fire Overheat vs Standard Wish Bliss - 52.9% - 62.3% (Shuca Tran - 31.9% - 37.5%)
- Overheat vs 252 hp Occa Metagross - 146.7% - 172.5% (Shuca Tran - 88%-104%, huge risk of not koing (though Shuca blocks EQ, they can get rocks up))
- HP Grass vs standard lead Swampert - 112.7% - 132.7% (Shuca Tran - 78.8% - 93.8%, never a ohko. People always leave their Swamperts in on Heatran because hp grass can’t ohko normally.
- HP Grass vs Lead Azelf - 56.8% - 67.1%, clean 2hko without a chance of missing, as opposed to Fire Blast’s 72% chance of hitting twice in a row.
- Overheat vs 240 HP 16 SpD Leadchamp - 96.1% - 113.4% (Shuca Tran - 57.7% - 68.5%). This is where things get interesting, Machamp leads are EV’ed to have huge bulk and can normally survive almost any attack and reply back with a ohko on a lot of stuff. This heatran ohkoes it >80% of the time, which is something most leads would kill to have, and it means my team doesn’t have to deal with it.

Leads I lose to:

- Infernape – Switch out to cress.
- Heatran – Switch out to swampert, most don’t carry hp grass because of the fact it can’t ohko leadperts.
- Aero – Switch to swampert, 2hko with surf.
- Ninjask - This is actually a bit concerning, I struggle against dedicated BP teams. Because I don’t want to leave heatran sitting at -6 SpA and out of Overheat PP, my best response is switch to Machamp on the Protect, Ice Punch the sub, sub on the protect, Ice Punch until the pass to Vappy, who gets DPunched, and then I switch to shaymin to seed flare… The lack of Roar on Swampert was a tough choice, but I decided I needed all 3 coverage moves. It’s an issue, I’m considering putting Iron Head or something over Earth Power, because my team handles anything Earth Power hits hard. But not having it there just to threaten Heatran switches could be bad. Idk on this one.
- Hippowdon – Overheat does 88.8% - 104.5%. I don’t like those odds, so switch to shaymin and throw out a seed flare.
- Roserade – Hope sleep powder misses, because I lack a sleep absorber. Heatran is the safest choice.
- Starmie – Switch to cress, Hydro Pump does 40% (including LO).
- Jirachi – Obviously a OHKO, but could be considered a loss because I’m out -2 SpA that Fire Blast doesn’t leave me at.

As far as Heatran’s role goes, it serves as not only my lead but also as the closest thing the team has to a wallbreaker. It has so much power that once it switches in, the opponent has a really tough time switching into its attacks. It is also the only thing that kills skarmory for this team. Its role is spamming overheat and exploding on Blissey, and it serves that role incredibly well.
---

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/24 Spd/28 SpAtk
Relaxed nature (+Def,-Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Surf

This is the standard swampert set, with some slightly skewed evs. The evs are there to make sure I beat other swamperts if it ever came up, and some extra power on the special side, as the SpD evs weren’t doing all that much. Rocks because they’re needed, dual stabs because they’re stronger than other stuff, Ice beam because swampert is my best response to DD nite (Rachi doesn’t really like switching in), and works as a makeshift counter to flygon.
---

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- ThunderPunch
- U-turn

This is a slightly modified version of Scarfrachi, with Thunderpunch over the standard Trick because the team is pretty Gyara weak. It serves as the team’s cleaner generally, and is occasionally used for a resist to a bunch of stuff because of its typing. But mostly it sits off to the side unless I need something deaded. Also, Iron head and leech seed have fantastic move synergy.
---

Machamp (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 128 HP/252 Atk/128 Spd <--- This spread sucks
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- DynamicPunch
- Stone Edge
- Encore / Payback
- Substitute

Machamp is a lot of power in one teamslot (see heatran) and generally either nets 2-3 kills per game or does nothing, depending on whether or not they have something that beats it (Gliscor, Skarmory to an extent). It basically switches in on something it threatens and spasm dynamicpunch. If they have a ghost, I’ll sub, then use the correct move. Stone edge replaced ice punch because the team was weak to gyara and zapdos (I still lack a way to break toxic + roost bulky zapdos if heatran is dead/weakened), while gliscor is less of a threat because shaymin checks it.
---

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 128 HP/252 Spd/128 SpAtk - Testing 64 def/SpD over 128 HP
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power - Fire
- Leech Seed
- Seed Flare

Shaymin on this team is basically a bulkymon, a fastmon, and a lure of sorts. The team needed something with a decent amount of speed to handle a variety of issues, which is one of its major contributions to the team, along with the fact that fwg makes a decent core. The evs are just split up evenly and looking closer aren’t really accomplishing much, but the spread is working just fine, the extra hp helps a lot with bulk. Earth power gives me an option to revenge unscarfed heatrans, HP fire koes scizor with average damage after SR, seed flare is STAB, and leech seed is a decent scouting move. It also is the only source of healing heatran has, which can occasionally become an issue.
---

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Spd
Bold nature (+Def,-Atk)
- Calm Mind
- HP Fire
- Moonlight
- Psychic

CM Cress is a fantastic pokemon. Early game it serves as my check to a multitude of powerful sweepers (Starmie, Infernape, Machamp, Lucario, ect.) that most teams struggle against. Lategame it serves as a sweeper, taking advantage of its fantastic bulk to set up on nearly anything. I’ve had so many games where teams kill 5/6 of my team and then lose because they can’t break cress, who proceeds to set up +6 and sweep. There are like 3 or 4 pokemon that cress can’t set up on and kill, and the rest of the team handles them fairly well. As for the moveset, it should be fairly obvious. Gamefreak trolled us by not giving cress thunderbolt, so HP fire is the best option, as it hits skarm, metagross, rachi, scizor, [other steels that wall cress]. EVs max out hp, get the highest bonus point in defense, and the rest go in speed.

Issues

- Skarmory - Heatran can kill it, but all it has to do to stop that from happening is switch out. It sets up spikes on Swampert, Rachi, Shaymin, and Machamp (who can also be BB'ed or WW'ed), and it can beat cress if it doesn't have too many boosts (takes 40% max from hp fire with no SpD evs).

- Baton Pass teams - I'm currently testing encore over payback on Machamp, as I love the move and it stops baton passers in their tracks. However, this could cause issues with rotom-a. However, heatran deals with 4/5 of them, and W is handled fairly well by shaymin, so thoughts on this would be nice. With the current moveset, baton pass teams shit on this team and then sweep with their +6 in all stats.

OK, I'm going to go back and fully read this (in like 5 minutes) but for your Zapdos problem, switching Machamp for Hariyama or Snorlax with immunity should solve your problem
Hariyama:

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Impish - Thick Fat
80 HP / 172 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Rest
Sleep Talk
Whirlwind
Force Palm
This set (with Stealth Rocks support) can take care of your Bulky Zapdos problem and slowly wear away Gyrados (barring ones that carry Taunt) and still deal out some paralyzes on the side. I think it'll find it's place nicely in your team. However, if this doesn't work out, then the Physical Tank set should work.
Snorlax:

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Immunity - Adamant
4HP/ 252Atk/ 252SpD
Body Slam
Pursuit
Crunch
Earthquake
It may be a bit unorthodox and even gimmicky, but it can work. By spaming bodyslams, you're bound to paralyze at some point and take Zapdos and other pokemon easily. Because of Heatran, Fire Punch isn't needed and pursuit and crunch is for those nasty ghosts, Selfdestruct might be prefered if you just feel like going BOOM! :). But this set may work better.

Snorelax @ Leftovers
Thick Fat - Impish
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Rest
Sleep Talk
Body Slam
Whirlwind
This is the same set for Hariyama so its really a matter of preference of which pokemon to use.
Hope this helps!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
No. None of those pokemon actually beat zapdos. Force Palm does jack shit to bulky zapdos, and tbh, it doesn't really care about being phazed because of roost. As for bandlax, Body Slam, your most powerful attack does 43.3% - 51.2%, which can be healed off with roost. Once they figure out you're banded, they switch to their skarmory to set up spikes. And for the mono attacking snorlax, zapdos roars it out before it can be whirlwinded.

So, in conclusion, no, those pokemon do not help my team.

cool heatran

cool team

fuck yeah cressy

Nitpick: 64 def/64 spd shaymin takes hits better than 128 hp shaymin (it's probably the same with machamp, but since the stats aren't all nice and even like shaymin, and it's midnight, I don't feel like fixing that). Also, it gets you a larger percentage of health than leech seed.

If you fitted rest on shaymin, it could potentially solve the subroost zapdos problem, while providing reliable recovery.

That cressy looks really cool. I rarely see them but they are so damn annoying.

Anyways I think a mixed flygon would really help your team. It flat out OHKOs skarmory (108.4% - 127.5%) and has a good chance (69.4% - 82.1%) at beating 192 hp zapdos, netting surprise KOs on both of them. It breaks up stall pretty well, except for blissey, who machamp sets up on, though it can 2HKO with earthquake. It would probably go over shaymin if you choose to try it.

Nails

Double Threat
cool heatran

cool team

fuck yeah cressy

Nitpick: 64 def/64 spd shaymin takes hits better than 128 hp shaymin (it's probably the same with machamp, but since the stats aren't all nice and even like shaymin, and it's midnight, I don't feel like fixing that). Also, it gets you a larger percentage of health than leech seed.

If you fitted rest on shaymin, it could potentially solve the subroost zapdos problem, while providing reliable recovery.
Shaymin's set was really just randomly thrown together, it originally had 3 attacks and rest, then i changed it to a subseeder, then i dropped subs... that said, i actually like the set lol.

How does it beat subroost zappy? If it has heat wave I lose, and if it has toxic then it stalls me out due to pressure.

I'll take your ev advice on shaymin, and as for machamp I jacked the analysis evs. Looking closer, they're used to outspeed 0 speed skarm, so yeah, they're out of date lol.

Thanks for the rate Dark.

That cressy looks really cool. I rarely see them but they are so damn annoying.

Anyways I think a mixed flygon would really help your team. It flat out OHKOs skarmory (108.4% - 127.5%) and has a good chance (69.4% - 82.1%) at beating 192 hp zapdos, netting surprise KOs on both of them. It breaks up stall pretty well, except for blissey, who machamp sets up on, though it can 2HKO with earthquake. It would probably go over shaymin if you choose to try it.
Thanks for the compliments, Flygon doesn't... really seem like it'd work, just because of shaymin's role on the team. Shaymin is my only check to suicune and vappy, as cress loses if crocune has rest. Or if vappy has toxic or roar (aka, a 4th move). I feel like this opens up more, bigger issues than it solves (I can get through zappy and skarm currently, though it's a total bitch, but not having an answer to a bulky water is suicide).

As for replacing other slots... it could go over machamp, who is what i'd call the most replacable member, despite the fact that he's my main ttar counter (look, my team is built to rape ttar, what with pert, rachi, and champ). I'd probably have blissey issues though, resorting to an explosion on a pokemon that frequently runs protect... but it could potentially work.

Side note, I have determined that encore is incredibly more useful than payback, at least on the ladder. It's such an underrated move, as a ton of shit tries to set up on machamp.

If you struggle with BP teams, consider a Perish Song Celebi > Shaymin. Yes, it's a drastic stretch and BP aren't all too common but Celebi serves a lot more purpose than just hazing off stat boosts; it's as Bulky as your Shaymin, maybe even more, and it could open an opportunity for Cress to set up a few free CMs since it will cause a lot of switches. Also, it generally deals with SubRoost Zapdos with Perish Song + Natural Cure.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold nature
- Perish Song
- Grass Knot
- Recover / Rest
- U-turn

I don't know. I see the pros, but there a lot more obvious cons; such as Psychic typing, but I'm sure U-turn solves that. CeleTran is also too beastly to avoid; definite pro. The only problem is; is it worth adding to deal with BP teams and SubRoost Zapdos because honestly they are so uncommon I wouldn't bother trying to handle them.

Well I like the team looks very solid, and I love that you're using Cresselia who needs much more love. Good team. Good luck.
c:

How does it beat subroost zappy? If it has heat wave I lose, and if it has toxic then it stalls me out due to pressure.
According to analysis, Subroost Zapdos doesn't run Heat Wave.

Rest takes up 3 turns per 2 pp in pressure, so you can pressure stall it.

If it runs HP Ice, Iron Head it with Jirachi, I guess.

EDIT:
And it resists Iron Head.
That's never stopped Jirachi before...

Nails

Double Threat
According to analysis, Subroost Zapdos doesn't run Heat Wave.

Rest takes up 3 turns per 2 pp in pressure, so you can pressure stall it.

If it runs HP Ice, Iron Head it with Jirachi, I guess.
Who has rest? edit, shaymin. nvm. but I can only rest 8x, which is 24 turns, and I still do nothing back to it. the fact that I don't threaten it at all is what's concerning.

And it resists Iron Head.

And I guess I should expand it to all zapdos, since cressy may have issues setting up on LO Tbolt.

Hey Nails.

I've been thinking this over, and I think that Breloom is worth giving a try over Machamp. As long as you play conservatively with Spore you should be able to beat SubRoost Zapdos with good prediction (bar versions that run HP Ice over Toxic, but Cress can handle those). You'd have to predict very well, but if my theorymon is correct (and I think it is), you should be able to beat it. He doesn't help much against Skarmory if you've already used Spore (and he sure as hell isn't switching in), but it's not like Machamp was beating Skarmory anyway.

Edit @ below: Rose doesn't outspeed Zapdos.

Ok, I was goin to put this up at midnight, but my phone is retarded and stuff so this might work well for you:

Roserade @ LifeOrb
Timid - Natural Cure
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Leaf Storm
Sleep Powder
Hidden Power- Electric
Sludge Bomb

I use this set on my team except I use HP-Fire over Electric. Rose outspeeds Zapdos and once its asleep, Sludge Bomb 2HKO's all Zapdos sets except Spec.Def Set (but is 2HKO'd on the SR damage if it switches in). With Gyra, all sets on Smogon are OHKO'd by HP- Elec. The only downside is you loose the HP-fire for Scizor(a common switch in)
The other semi-annoyance is you have an added Ground weakness, but gain a Fighting resistance. I think Rose can be switched for Shaymin. After Rocks damage, Roserade OHKOs all Skarmorys sans the Special defensive set which gets 2HKOd by Hidden Power

You could try running trick over Ice punch on Jirachi, as you still have Swampert for dragon control. Grass types are still covered by U-turn if they are for some odd reason not fouled by trick, while trick scarf ruins most BP chains, barring substitutes, and walls like Skarmory. You still retain the speed to revenge with the other moves too, including keeping the check on Gyarados. This will instead open a potential hole to something of a rock polish variety, though again, tricking them turns them into a glorified revenge killer.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you are having trouble with Baton Pass teams then just run Roar on Swampert over Surf. It still gets decent coverage and as an added Bonus you can Phaze Zapdos out if it lacks HP Grass.

Personally with T-tar running rampant I would not care about the negative effects of SS on Moonlight. If your opponent has a T-tar on his team then imo your Cressilia will stuggle to do its job even after you beatdown Tyranitar. I suggest running Rest on your Cressilia. I know that sleeping for 2 turns is bad etc etc but it gives you viable recovery in the sand and also avoids status like Toxic which cripples Cressilia. With Rest Sub Roost Zapdos is less of a threat and you can (potentially) take more hits.

Also what is that bulk on Shaymin for seems to me that either I would run 252Hp or 4HP.
I just don't see what that bulk does for you.

Hey! I remember losing to that Cress when I was up 4-1. It's a pretty ridiculous pokemon. I've got a few suggestions to make, though:

I really don't see why you have all that speed on your Shaymin. I think that it would really benefit if you ran just enough to outspeed Timid Suicune (and Adamant Lucario) so you could max out HP and still have a good amount in SpA. Pokemon Lab is down so I can't check the it, but I think that 136 Spe/252 HP/120 SpA with Timid is the spread, which also gets you a bonus point in Speed and lets you beat some opposing Shaymin in a pinch. After that, I can't really see any benefit in running more speed. Timid with 180 Spe beats Jolly Lucario, I think, if it's been bothering you, but it's not really a threat until the very end of the game and a lot of Lucario don't run Crunch anymore, even.

My second nitpick is Surf on Swampert. I looked through your RMT for the reason you had it, and didn't find one. This confuses me, especially since you mentioned a weakness to BP teams. Water is a great attacking type, Earthquake has really good neutral coverage already and Ice Beam pairs really well with it. I'd recommend Roar over it, which gives you an out against Ninjask and a pretty good way of wearing down Subroost Zapdos and keeping it out of your way midgame, another pokemon you mentioned having problems with. Roar is a fantastic move regardless; from what I've seen of you, you play mostly Little Cup, which may be why it isn't there, but it's fantastic utility in a lot of situations.

My last suggestion is Trick > U-Turn on Jirachi. U-turn is a really useful move, but Trick gives you a way of dealing with random pokemon you could have trouble with, like lategame Zapdos or Curselax if Machamp's dead. Most of the time, you can roughly approximate the effect of U-turn with good prediction, and the guarantee of it isn't nearly worth the utility of Trick. Trickscarf also makes stall a bit easier, which you look a bit weak to.

Hopefully some of this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)