DA BEARS!-or- an OU team (Offensive)

Hey everybody! Second RMT on Smogon, and I'm far more experienced now than I was in July. This team is used both on Shoddy and Wifi. If you suggest a change, I'd appreciate if you could point out a place where I could obtain the pokemon (meaning if Celebi, Jirachi, etc., point me in the right direction. Otherwise, I'm okay with breeding my own pokemon) Let's begin.

This team had a hot streak on Shoddy, prior to today. It went 12-3 on Shoddy, and 6-1 on Wifi. The one loss was due to some bad planning on my part.

Swampert @Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Relaxed

242 HP/ 216 Def/ 52 Special Attack

Earthquake
Surf
Ice Beam
Roar

No, this is not an SR lead, and I have a feeling that people will start attacking this Swampert for that. This guy has the ability to challenge other lead Swamperts and Metagrosses (so long as there's no Grass Knot). Unfortunately, lead Breloom screws him over so bad, it's not even funny. Also, this Swampert crushes most BP teams. Also has the ability to scout out other members of the opponents team without fearing too much. I make an effort to keep this guy alive, something that can be difficult for a lead. I could use some help with this guy.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Guts
Adamant

252 Atk/252 Spd/ 6 Def

Megahorn
Close Combat
Pursuit
Stone Edge

General revenge killer for this team, as well as being able to put holes in fast fragile pokemon like non scarf Aerodactyl, Azelf, Alakazam (who actually uses Zam?), and the like. Also a nice source of secondary Close Combat for Blissey. Pursuit makes sure Rotom checks in, but doesn't check out.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Naive
64 Atk/ 194 Speed/ 252SpA

Grass Knot
Flamethrower
Close Combat
HP Ice

I think a mixape favoring the special side fits this team well. It's always nice to have a speedy ice attacker with d-nite, mence, and to a lesser degree, flygon running around. His Close Combat is indispensable to this team, stopping bliss and putting general holes in a lot of pokemon. Unfortunately, he's a little frail, and Scizor just loves to bullet punch frail pokemon to hell and back.

Jolteon @Leftovers (Another item choice?)
Timid
252 Speed/252 SpA/6 HP

P.S. Thank you Mingot! You won me my gamestop tourney, with this guy HP Icing a Salamence for the final kill. You should have seen the look on his face when he thought he had the sweep.

Thunderbolt
Hp Ice (again)
Substitute
Baton Pass

As the Spanish would say, "Me gusta Senor Jolteon". This guy has been in EVERY one of my teams all the way back from RBY. Once again, Hidden Power Ice is useful for killing off Mence. His T-Bolt is strong enough to wear down others, but not usually for getting kills on his own. One of the most important functions of this team is the Sub he can pass. Infernape, Scizor, and Salamence greatly appreciate the help this guy can give them, considering how fragile they can be in the wrong situation. I really like this guy, and if you want him out, you better be well-written and thought out about it.

Scizor@Shed Shell (yes, Shed Shell. Oddly enough, it has saved me from destruction)
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk/ 226 Speed/ 32 HP

Bullet Punch
X Scissor
Swords Dance
Pursuit (Perhaps get Superpower?)

I once swore never to use this thing. So much for that... Works as a revenge killer/very late game sweeper. As any Scizor owner knows, Rotom can fuck this guy up, with will-o-wisp and its stupid triple immunity and countless resistances. Shed Shell is specifically for magnezone, where I'll go to Swampert and EQ Zone to hell. I think it works okay, but convince me otherwise, and it'll change.

Salamence@Yache Berry
Intimidate
Adamant

Dragon Claw (Works fine. Don't tell me outrage)
Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Fire Fang

Physical DD Mence. I used this guy back in the days of Garchomp in July. I go away for a couple of months, and all of a sudden Salamence is in the spotlight and discussions are beginning to flare up as far as Suspect Testing is concerned. YacheMence is absolutely sexy, generally allowing at least one DD and opening up for the mid-late game sweep. In tandem with Jolteon, Mence works well. Sometimes I'll catch an EQ meant for Jolteon, only to pass to Salamence with an intact Sub, leaving me to DD up. You know what the best part is? I have a dual flawless shiny one in my Diamond, and he kinda is my way of showing off/kicking ass.

Problems off the top of my head:
Lead Azelf- Capable of putting holes in everything on my team. Not as much of a problem late game, but it hurts.

Breloom (especially lead)- Spore up, focus punch away, piss me off.
Or as the Spanish say: "Senora Breloom es una chica mala quien no tiene amigas. Breloom es para los jugadores que no tienen un pene y no son simpaticas" Pardon me for the probably incorrect and basic Spanish. I have a test Tuesday and have Spanish on the brain.

Vaporeon- Aside from Jolteon, I have a hard time hitting this guy. Swampert loses 1 on 1. Hera can't handle a full health Vappy. Infernape does jack with Grass Knot, Scizor can't do anything besides an SD X Scissor, and it should be obvious on Salamence.

Other Scizor- the general frailty of this team means Scizor's Bullet Punch takes a chunk out of pretty much all of them. This team could use some more bulk, but I'm having a hard time picking someone.

Rotom- Will-O-Wisp me up Scotty!

To a lesser degree, Gyarados (especially Bulky)- Not exactly a "problem", but an annoyance. If I Grass Knot with Nape on the switch, I can dent Gyara up. Jolteon eats Gyarados with maple syrup and butter, but Salamence, Scizor, and Swampert don't like Gyarados. Hera does an alright job with Stone Edge.

Post away, and thanks for visiting!

Swampert's moveset instead should be:
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Avalanche/Ice Beam
Roar/Protect
Here's why: you desperately need Stealth Rock on an offensive team as it eases KO's, turning 3HKO's into 2HKO's and 2HKO's into OHKO's. This is important as it keeps momentum on your side and diminishes the chance of the opponent having a turn to attack your frail sweepers. The question of Avalanche/Ice Beam is up to you. Without Surf I run Avalanche on my LeadPert to focus the Ev's a little more and not have to run a -speed nature. Many leads (Heatran , Metagross, both very common) like to blow up on Swampert after setting up Stealth Rock. Protect ensures you don't die if you can predict. Roar is fine for beating BP chains if you are more into that.

Heracross and Infernape seem fine. Consider maxing speed on Infernape because many others are and losing a speed tie could cost you the match.

Maybe Petaya on Jolteon? That could get you to enough Sp. Attack to attempt a sweep. However, if you are more Baton Pass based, use Leftovers as nothing really needs the Sp. Attack boost.

I would increase Scizor's bulk significantly to stand up to beatings from the likes of Latias. Maybe a CB Scizor with 224 HP/252 Attack/32 Speed. That allows to stand up to Latias. Use U Turn over X Scissor and SuperPower over Swords Dance.

Are you sure you don't want Outrage on Salamence? That's a major reason why Mence is being talked about as a suspect. And use Life Orb for the needed KO's. Fire Blast also trumps Fire Fang just because of the sheer power. Even though Mence is Adamant, LO Fire Blast OHKO's Skarmory.

Pretty Good Team.

I like that Swampert set friar. I think it does give the support this team needs, but it's always good to have a surf on a team. Never the less, I like the set and I'll use it.

I like Heracross too.

Infernape... this is tough. Those 64 Atk Ev's help... but the speed tie is important. I'm going to run some damage calcs and make sure I can still OHKO some of the pokemon I need to OHKO.
EDIT: After some Calcs, it looks like as long as I have Life Orb, I can OHKO what I need to OHKO (Tyranitar and Blissey) and have a very good chance at OHKO's on heatran. Will change on Shoddy, but my Wifi Nape is at level 100... so he's screwed.

Petaya on Jolteon isn't really an option. As you've noticed, no one on this team really benefits from it majorly, and Jolteon itself can get walled very easily (E-Vire, Other Jolteon, hell, even Lanturn)

In my experience, I've been able to use DD well enough at the right point in the game that Outrage vs. Dragon Claw doesn't make a difference. Most of the time, I'll get the 2HKO's I need and I won't be locked in when worst comes to worse. A lot of people rely on getting Mence locked in and bringing in a steel type. They don't know what to do when I go to 'Nape to handle Bronzong or whatever steel they just put out. However, I do like your idea between Life Orb and Fireblast. Skarmory and Forretress piss me off.

To tell you the truth, I'm not feeling so comfortable with CB Scizor. Pretty much everything that walls the set I have, walls CB Scizor to a greater extent. I'm going to be locked in Bullet Punch (unless I U-turn) and then Rotom comes in and the match goes down the shitter. Normally, if I'm unsure about an attack and I don't have an immediate threat in my face, I can just SD up and hit harder than Bullet Punch, and I'm able to use X Scissor or Pursuit. In addition, Latias isn't a huge problem with this team, seeing as Jolteon handles her one on one (with substitute), and I have a lot of moves that hit her for super effective damage (2 HP Ices, an Ice Beam, and Dragon Claw as a last resort)

Overall, I like some of the changes you've suggested, and I'm going to give them a try.

One tiny little nitpick... since I don't have time for a full rate.

On Scizor, you're using a Shed Shell to dodge Magnezone. However, IIRC, U-Turn allows you to break free of Magnet Pull and Arena Trap. If that's correct, I would put U-Turn >> X-Scissor and either run Leftovers or Life Orb as the item.

Don't max speed on Infernape! Infernape is in a unique speed tier, so unless you want to outspeed shit like Mismagius(not common in OU) keep it as is. Against other Infernapes you want the lowest possible speed, as Close Combat won't KO you, but after the defense drop you can KO them!

I really don't see the need for Ice Beam on lead 'Pert, unless you desperately need something for Salamence, in which case sacrificing something to Outrage, then SDing with Scizor would be almost as good, since Swampert will likely die anyways. Stealth Rock > Ice Beam IMO. Surf already gives you Aeroactyl coverage, but you could go with Ice Beam as it helps beat up Salamence and Flygon.

Swampert is going to lose to Metagross, who will set up Stealth Rock, survive your EQ, then Explode anyways. It is better to just set up Stealth Rock while you can, and Protect > Roar can save a team member from it.

One problem I see is the lack of steels... You have one. Most team nowadays need 2-3 steels to absorb Outrages, and either a special wall or Bronzong to absorb Draco Meteors. CB Metagross > Jolteon IMO, as SubCM Latias can really fuck this team up.

Max speed on Infernape is fine, because most Latias don't max speed, so you can get the jump on them and HP: Ice (Which isn't going to OHKO, but it can take down a weakend one) which might be important to you. idk. But max speed isn't a totally bust idea because of that.

Max speed on Infernape is fine, because most Latias don't max speed, so you can get the jump on them and HP: Ice (Which isn't going to OHKO, but it can take down a weakend one) which might be important to you. idk. But max speed isn't a totally bust idea because of that.
That is pretty minute since pretty much every single Latias variant runs enough speed to outrun SD Infernape, who runs max speed. Why would you want to sacrifice your wallbreaker to her? Skarmory and Blissey would walk all over this team without Infernape.

lol ok I guess. I forgot about how SD Nape runs max speed standardly, I wasn't thinking that clearly. Sorry about that.

One tiny little nitpick... since I don't have time for a full rate.

On Scizor, you're using a Shed Shell to dodge Magnezone. However, IIRC, U-Turn allows you to break free of Magnet Pull and Arena Trap. If that's correct, I would put U-Turn >> X-Scissor and either run Leftovers or Life Orb as the item.
I think I like this suggestion. With U-Turn, I can add leftovers and increase Scizor's survivability. Thanks for the tip!

The flaw with that strategy is it is assuming you are only using U-Turn, and with SD, you want to be able to Bullet Punch. IMO stick with Shed Shell, it will prevent Magnezone from outspeeding you and nailing you with HP Fire before you even get the chance to U-Turn outta there.

Okay, this dispute is making me wonder, should I stick with X-Scissor or U-Turn? I don't see how Magnezone is really going to outspeed me, considering the Speed EV's and Scizor's higher base speed stat.

Magnezone's almost always run a Timid nature, and even without Choice Scarf they outrun you, factoring the 30 Speed IV because of HP Fire. Choice Scarf variants outrun you, even with Modest, and KO with HP Fire. Specs variants outrun with Timid, and KO w/Thunderbolt + SR damage. Stick with X-Scissor, if you wanna scout use CB Scizor for more damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)