ORAS OU Dance with Dragons

Hi! Wanted to write a RMT based on Megarados and Dragalge!
I think I read it somewhere, that Gyarados and Dragalge works well together so I decided to try it.
Also I have to thank Competitive Tutoring room on Showdown, because they really helped me with teambuilding and suggested me many changes.

TEAM PREVIEW

IN-DEPTH TEAM

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
First of all I want to mention this is pretty much standard Gyarados. Dragon Dance is his main set up move as he can after one boos outrun almost whole metagame. Watefall is his main STAB and powerful move for sweeping and preferable choice while hitting for neutral damage. Crunch gives him perfect coverage and a way of dealing with water mons, preferably Starmie and (Mega) Slowbro. Earthquake is chosen over Taunt (Substitute) to OHKO Heatran (even though Waterfall is pretty powerful as well) but mainly to deal with defensive Rotom-W.

Dragalge (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Dragalge is for two reasons. It can deal with some walls, because his Adaptability Specs boosted STABs are pretty nice (also great combination of typing that can be stopped just by Steel types). Draco Meteor is main STAB and hits hard, its inferior to Sludge Wave when dealing with stall Pokemon, because if they survive first hit of Draco Meteor, then Dragalge becomes useless and I am forced to switch him out. Sludge Wave deals pretty good neutral damage (at least 2HKOing neutral stall mons) and deal with Fairies (no, they're not gonna take it well). Hidden Power Fire is here against some Steel mons (especially Mega Scizor) that resists both STABs. Scald is chosen over Focus Blast for two reasons - accuracy and also Scald may burn things that would switch into him (if I had Focus Blast, opposing Landorus can easily switch from Heatran - that scouts which move I am locked into with Protect - and then I would be forced to switch, but there is very least amount of Pokemon that want to be burned).
Dragalge doesn't really mind switching into many Electric things (like Manectric even through his HP Ice) and Charizard Y (lacking Dragon Pulse) and provides Grass(÷4) and Electric resistances.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip
Ferrothorn is one of the most powerful Stealth Rock setters. it can also annoy with combination of Leech Seed and Protect. Leech Seed can heal him back while opponent takes damage of Iron Barbs (assuming physical attacker). Protect can as well scout opponent and heal Ferrothorn for +-6% HP due to Leftovers (you know, Ferrothorn's healing isn't that good, every little healing matters). Power Whip is prefered over Gyro Ball to deal with annoying Pokemon like Slowbro or Rotom-W.
This cuddly Pokemon also likes to switch in on Landorus-T. It can take Earthquake and heal damag back with Leech Seed and Protect, Stone Edge deals nothing and if it U-turns out then it takes damage from Iron Barbs.
Ferrothorn also provides Electric and Grass resistances that this team really needs.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
Slowbro is main wall. He works well (even though it is another Water Pokemon weak to Electric), its Thunder Wave is pretty good to stop opposing sweepers and helps Gyarados to set up his Dragon Dance(s). Scald is pretty good move (if not the best Water move) it can burn opponent and crippled one deals lesser amount of damage. Psyshock is mainly against Keldeo, it works well against Assault Vest Conkeldurr in many situations and it is prefered move (over Flamethrower and Ice Beam).

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Landorus provides Electric immunity (even though I preferably switch against Electric attacks to Ferrothorn or Dragalge). Rock Polish is set up (that can be really well used against scout mons like Heatran, that either switches out or Protect themselves. Earth Power deals good amount of damage to everything that doesn't resist it (or isn't immune to it). Psychic is prefered over Sludge Wave as I am not really worried about Fairies and I much rather want to deal with Keldeo after setting Rock Polish. Focus Blast is here to cover other mons, as it is really powerful due to Sheer Force LO and its 120 Base Power.

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
This little mon is pretty cool. He can set up Belly Drum against opposing stall and then pretty much crush everything. He is pretty powerful even without having to set up the Belly Drum and his STABs are pretty well paired. Play Rough hits most of metagame and almost nothing can resist it besides Steel. There aren't a lot of steel mons that wants to take Waterfall (with exeption of Ferrothorn). Aqua Jet is priority and it is necessity.​

IMPORTABLE TEAM

Dragalge (M) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet

THREATS

Paradoxically enough, main threats are also Pokemon in my team.

Stealth Rocks! Those can be really dangerous especially when I don't have defogger. I am aware of that. But I think my team is more offensively based and I don't really find myself crying for one.

This is very hard Pokemon to deal with. It cannot OHKO my Gyarados at +2 (assuming I am still not Mega Evolved). Ferrothorn cannot really wall him as he fears HP Fire, Dragalge can wall non-Dragon Pulse version but I am weak to all out attacker version and often I have to sacrifice one mon to bring this one down.

Azumarill is always pretty powerful, he is threat to most teams (that are not built with presence of Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur or Tentacruel) but to be honest I usually end up good.

Dragalge could really destroy this team, I don't have really Pokemon that can switch into every his move but I am not really afraid of this mon as it is really not typical one in OU.

REPLAYS

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man really cool looking team, I just have a few optimizations to make to better the team as I go in detail in the video below:

tl:dw

Substitute > Crunch on Gyara
Draco Plate > Specs on Dragalge
Defog Latias > Slowbro
Knock Off > Rock Polish on Landorus w/ a Naive nature

Importable:
Dragalge (M) @ Draco Plate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish / Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet

Last edited:
Thank you for your rating and I do agree Substitute is great, but I can see little issue in dealing with Lati@s (Slowbro could have survived Draco Meteor and T-wave him and later Lati@s would be killed off by Azumarill or Dragalge)... Landorus cannot outrun Lati@s and Gyarados cannot kill with EQ even at +2.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-208019976

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Thank you for your rating and I do agree Substitute is great, but I can see little issue in dealing with Lati@s (Slowbro could have survived Draco Meteor and T-wave him and later Lati@s would be killed off by Azumarill or Dragalge)... Landorus cannot outrun Lati@s and Gyarados cannot kill with EQ even at +2.
Landorus lures in Latios like a moth to a flame youre meant to hit it on the switch. Slowbro isnt that reliable of a check and if it speed ties with your Latias then that means Ferrothorn walls it anyway.Ferro should be your primary check to it anyway and you can just switch to Latias to scout for HP Fire. If it does have it then you outspeed with your own Latias. It's also worth noting that if Gyarados is boosted even once it can set up even more on Latios by Subbing on Dracos, a -2 Draco does a pitiful 35%ish to Mega Dos. Another reason to run Sub.

If you were wondering about KOing Ferrithorn why don't you run the superpower,Aqua Jet,Play rough, BD set for azumarill instead of Waterfall and Aqua Jet? Unless your going for a certain pokemon.

Hey man really cool looking team, I just have a few optimizations to make to better the team as I go in detail in the video below:

tl:dw

Substitute > Crunch on Gyara
Draco Plate > Specs on Dragalge
Defog Latias > Slowbro
Knock Off > Rock Polish on Landorus w/ a Naive nature

Importable:
Dragalge (M) @ Draco Plate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Earthquake

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Power Whip

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish / Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
I don't agree with Latias > Slowbro at all. Slowbro checks birdspam, Lopunny, Metagross (All threats to the team) and strong physical moves in general. He is not playing HO so losing momentum doesn't affect him as much. If anything I'd replace Dragalge.

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
I don't agree with Latias > Slowbro at all. Slowbro checks birdspam, Lopunny, Metagross (All threats to the team) and strong physical moves in general. He is not playing HO so losing momentum doesn't affect him as much. If anything I'd replace Dragalge.
BD Azu + Gyara is pretty heavy offense, and all of the threats you mentioned with the exception of Metagross (which he has Ferrothorn for) have just passed their peak in viability. Bird Spam in particualr has been on decline for a while, idk if you noticed but Pinsir dropped to UU lol. Healing Wish Lati is amazing for this team. He could use Landorus-T > Landorus though for Lopunny and Gross since MegaDos already shits on stall if it runs Sub or Taunt

styie

Formerly known as Freedom.
Hey man,

very interesting team, I did notice Mega-Metagross is very annoying to this team, it can really do a large number to it to say the least, and could be very hard to deal with depending on its set. I know the first thing to do when you see one, is to switch to slowbro, but if you havent noticed they do carry grass knot namely for slowbro's/suicune etc. any bulky water that could potentially wall it. Also if they don't carry grass knot the carry ice punch, which is very annoying, I guess you could always scout on the slowbro, but what's the point of that if you have no switch-in? don't want to tell you to add mons/fix your team up but you can always take this into consideration.

BD Azu + Gyara is pretty heavy offense, and all of the threats you mentioned with the exception of Metagross (which he has Ferrothorn for) have just passed their peak in viability. Bird Spam in particualr has been on decline for a while, idk if you noticed but Pinsir dropped to UU lol. Healing Wish Lati is amazing for this team. He could use Landorus-T > Landorus though for Lopunny and Gross since MegaDos already shits on stall if it runs Sub or Taunt
Yeah, Landorus-T could work.
Btw just because something became less common doesn't mean it's irrelevant.
Metagross usually runs Hammer Arm and the team doesn't have much for SD Talonflame, same thing for Lopunny. Latias > Slowbro seems like an odd choice since it only gives hazard control while making the team vulnerable. Ferro+Slowbro is a good core already.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Yeah, Landorus-T could work.
Btw just because something became less common doesn't mean it's irrelevant.
Metagross usually runs Hammer Arm and the team doesn't have much for SD Talonflame, same thing for Lopunny. Latias > Slowbro seems like an odd choice since it only gives hazard control while making the team vulnerable. Ferro+Slowbro is a good core already.
In all honesty you're probably right and I could have just replaced Dragalge with Latias but I didn't want to take away from the original objective of the team which was to use Mega Dos + Dragalge.

Hello there Aelsorm.
Megagyarados and Dragalge do indeed form a scary core, but I have some suggestions for you. First of all I see a big problem, your team is actually very slow, you don't even reach the 110 cut off, while on some teams like Stall it's okay, on a Bulky Offensive team it's quite troublesome, since you gain many weaknesses, one of them being Serperior, but they are also others like All Out Attacker Mega Metagross.

Well, your mega metagross weakness is very evident, none can switch in, and your defensive core and offensive core are destroyed by it, azumarill can't do alot, and gets destroyed by stab moves, ferrothorn too, an hammer arm is a clear 2hko, gyarados can't take very well the grassknot, slowbro could be your safest switch in, but grassknot 2hkoes, and dragalge has no chance against Zen Headbutt. Landorus-incarnate is not enough being slower without RP and weak to Ice Punch, stall teams also have better chances against RP than to the 4 attacking set, another problem that should be solved.

To reduce your "slowness" I suggest you to put in Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian over the Incarnate form, that helps you a lot on the speed point. After this fix, I suggest you to fix Mega Gyarados's set, because your stall weakness, is not solved by this set, it can't take very well status especially wow and random scald burn chances, as such, I suggest you to put Substitute over Waterfall, because Dark- and Ground-type is the best coverage on Gyarados, and with Substitute you destroy easy stall teams, thanks to the Sub you can set-up and clean all.
Lastly, consider Explosion on Lando Therian, while a strange choice, it is able to ohko easily Serperior without changing too much your team

Sets:

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Gyarados (F) @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Hope it helped, good luck.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
A wild AD impish john appeared!! AD impish john used rate.

Nice team there, its very threating. I will say you don't have a defoger or rapid spinner which is a problem. I would change slowbro to Latios or Latias (whatever you prefer) since they know defog to remove hazards. Or even starmie since it has the same typing and knows rapid spin to remove hazards.

Threats?: No one really uses serperior in in the 1400 range so you'll rarely see it. Azumarill and be taken out by Dragagle's Sludge Wave with choice specs OHKO. And dragagle isn't a threat since you have Slowbro, Landorus, and Gyarados. Hope I helped. [:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)