Dark Horse

Couldn't think of a good title deal with it.

Team Building Process

This team was built around Jolteon. This is because he is clearly one of the best special attackers out there with his great speed and special attack. However, he require's a lot of support to truly make him work effectively which requires all aspects of a team to be covered ranging from both walls and sweepers. For this reason, I wanted to build a balanced team which didn't settle on just one core motive eg being a stall team or a hyper offensive team. I wanted to cover all the aspects to make this team as strong as it could be.

Next thing I needed was a strong Physical Sweeper and who else to use other than Charizard X? He can take a decent amount of hits not to mention he sweeps fast. He covers special walls that may prove an issue to Jolteon.

Next thing needed was a lead who can both set up hazards and take as many hits as possible. Ferrothorn fitted the role perfectly by being able to set up both Stealth Rock and Spikes not to mention being almost impossible to take out. He acts as both the lead and the Special Wall of this team. He also manages to cover Charizard from fairy types.

By using Starmie I was able to create a Fire/Water/Grass core which I wanted from the beginning and also gained a fast, powerful rapid spinner out of it to get rid of entry hazards that may pose as a problem to the team mainly Charizard.

Now we don't want anyone to be getting rid of out precious entry hazards set up by Ferrothorn so I needed a Spin Blocker who could also sweep and Gengar was the perfect choice as there aren't many out there who can do the job as well as he can. Along with Ferrothorn, Gengar is also able to cover Charizard when it comes to fairy types.

Lastly we have Gliscor, something no opponent wants to see. I needed both a physical wall for the team and also a staller and Gliscor does both jobs perfectly and is able to work well with all the pokemon within the team especially Jolteon and Charizard when ground moves are expected. He's really fun to use and really pisses the other team off which makes him even more fun.

So, if we tidy it up we get:

The Team

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Sassy Nature
~ Spikes
~ Stealth Rock
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball

- Personally, I see Ferrothorn as the best lead out there. He is able to cover both Stealth Rock and Spikes not to mention his high defenses make him almost impossible to take out without a fire move which results in even more Spikes being laid. This is the most commonly used moveset on Ferrothorn and for good reason. It enables him to set up, take hits and cripple the opponent. Pretty simple right? both STAB Power Whip and Gyro Ball helps him at least cause neutral damage to the majority of the metagame except the likes of Charizard which can be covered by Jolteon, Starmie and Gliscor themselves when I switch in.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Shadow Ball
~ Dazzling Gleam
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Substitute

- This thing is deadly. Not only does it prove useful as a Spin Blocker, with the introduction of fairy type moves, Gengar is now able to take down dragons which is truly a blessing for him as it gives him more opportunities to sweep more opponents. With both Substitute and Black Sludge Gengar is able to stall and sweep for longer without loosing much health which is the reason I chose Black Sludge over Life Orb as I think Gengar could do with the health increase rather than decreasing it even more. STAB Shadow Ball is obvious and can now cause neutral damage to steel types that won't pose as a problem much to Gengar anymore and for that reason Dazzling Gleam was chose over Focus Blast since taking out dragon types is now more important than covering steel types that are no longer a problem for him. Sludge Bomb is a great STAB move for him that manages to cover fairy types and it also has a 30% chance of poisoning the opponent which works really well as a combo with Substitute.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

~ Hydro Pump
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Rapid Spin
- Being easily the fastest and arguably the best Rapid Spinner in the metagame, Starmie manages to takes out entry hazards with ease along with getting a few sweeps done with very wide movepool that covers basically everything and causes at least neutral damage to most pokemon. Powerful STAB Hydro Pump is capable of taking out anything if it manages hit, mainly ghost types that try to block Rapid Spin. Thunderbolt deals with other water type and Charizard Y if I don't want to risk Hydro Pump missing. Ice Beam takes care of most dragon types and grass types such as Venusaur that may make an appearance. Leftovers combined with Natural Cure helps make Starmie as bulky as it possibly can be and manage to get in as many sweeps as possible as there really isn't anything this thing can't handle which helps him cover the majority of the teams weaknesses.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EV's: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
Impish Nature
~ Substitute
~ Toxic
~ Protect
~ Earthquake
- Gliscor still remains a top tier pokemon right through to Gen VI and is still as great as ever. This set is fun to play around with and pisses the opponent off as they can rarely even get a hit in thanks to both Substitute and Protect. Toxic manages to take out the opponent slowly but surely and STAB Earthquake speeds up the process whilst helping him sweep faster and also get some damage in on Mega Lucario. There isn't really much to say about Gliscor except the fact he act as the Physical Wall and this moveset is just fun as hell to play around with.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Abitilty: Tough Claws
EV's: 252 HP / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
~ Dragon Dance
~ Flare Blitz
~ Dragon Claw
~ Earthquake
- Charizard's mega evolution was truly a blessing. He is powerful as hell a threat to almost anytime he faces. Dragon Dance enables him to outspeed the majority of the pokemon thanks to having a Jolly nature not to mention his already high attack stat going straight through the roof. Flare Blitz is a powerful STAB that wipes out a vast majority of pokemon and works well with STAB Dragon Claw which is boosted thanks to Dragon Dance and thanks to his Tough Claws ability, these moves get given a 33% boost which makes him almost unstoppable. Earthquake is great to have as it can take care of most bulky fire resistants that are weak to ground and also for good prediction. He is also able to take care of the Mega Lucario threat which is beneficial for this team. Overall, Charizard X is just a God send.

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
~ Thunderbolt
~ Volt Switch
~ Shadow Ball
~ Hidden Power[Ice]
- The star of the team! Jolteon works as the late game and Special Sweeper of the team once all the threats have been taken care of and he does this job with ease. For years I used Choice Specs on Jolteon, but found it difficult to sweep when being locked into one move and for that reason Life Orb is being used. Thunderbolt is there as the strong STAB move which also has a chance of the paralyzing the opponent and we also have STAB Volt Switch to get him out of situations he can't take care off. Shadow Ball deals with many ghost threats in the metagame, mainly Gengar. Lastly, we have Hidden Power[Ice] which takes care of dragon, ground and bulky grass threats that decide to make an appearance. Jolteon is an easy counter for Gyarados in this team and outspeeds and sweeps almost anything that comes it's way and for that reason he is a true powerhouse and key member of this team.

Thanks to anyone who rates my team and all criticism is welcome!

Last edited:
Ok a couple helpful hints, IMO bulky pivot ferrothorn outclasses lead ferrothorn. However if you really want to use ferrothorn as your lead I would recommend switching out spikes for thunder wave and power whip for leech seed. That way he is split between two roles as a bulky pivot and a lead, making him helpful later in the match.

Secondly, if you are using Gliscor as a wall put more Def EV's on him, most Gliscor's are running around with 72 Spd investment why not put in 76 so you can outspeed them and put 252 in HP and then the rest in Def to maximize bulk?

I can see Mamoswine giving your team trouble. He can dent or just kill many of the members of your team.

Ok a couple helpful hints, IMO bulky pivot ferrothorn outclasses lead ferrothorn. However if you really want to use ferrothorn as your lead I would recommend switching out spikes for thunder wave and power whip for leech seed. That way he is split between two roles as a bulky pivot and a lead, making him helpful later in the match.

Secondly, if you are using Gliscor as a wall put more Def EV's on him, most Gliscor's are running around with 72 Spd investment why not put in 76 so you can outspeed them and put 252 in HP and then the rest in Def to maximize bulk?

I can see Mamoswine giving your team trouble. He can dent or just kill many of the members of your team.
Thanks I'll change those EV's for Gliscor, as for Ferrothorn this set works really well for me but i'll test out the leech seed but I do want to keep spikes cause it helps out a lot.

As for Mamoswine, I have Starmie and Charizard who both outspeed him in most cases and also Ferrothorn but he can pose a threat if they're out. Would it then be better to change Jolteon's hidden power ice to grass in the case of this team?

Last edited:
Why Dark Horse? :P

Great team. The only threat I see bothering you too much is Latios (who still carry HP Fire). If Megazard doesn't M-Evolve, that is. Maybe test Sylveon over Gliscor? You lose out on the EQ immunity but the 252 HP / 252 Def build can usually take multiple hits. And Sylveon is a great staller in it's own right.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
--Moonblast
--Wish
--Protect
--Toxic

Personally I think cute charm and Moonblast work better for defensive variants of Sylveon. No one likes being infatuated, and occasional SAtk drops when you're running max Def can be invaluable. Sylveon is also a tremendously amazing counter to Greninja and Scarf Genesect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)