Serious Dealing with stress

I'd like to hear how some of you guys deal with stress. I personally have a really hard time with it, and it tends to internalize as dread over possibly feeling inadequate. I also basically shut down under a lot of pressure, and lose my focus, and almost break down into tears. I'd also like some advice for being able to cope with stress and pressure better.

Some ways I deal with stress are:
-Going for a run
-Drinking tea
-smoking (lol jk Tobacco is bad)

On a more serious note I also face some of the same issues. When under pressure, or in tight situations I tend to freeze up, or do little things like avoid eye contact, and this usually occurs when I'm not in my comfort zone.

So what do I do about it? Well the only way I can avoid that stuff honestly is getting used to it, since its life. Going out of my comfort zone helped me deal with a lot more situations then ever.as for pressure try and act like its normal for you whatever the situation is. It helps a lot and takes off the weight from your shoulders

Stress completely shuts me down when I'm under it. I'm left unmotivated and anxious, which usually just makes it worse. Sometimes I'll go into a panic attack under the right circumstances.

Honestly, the best way to deal with stress is is to try to prevent it before it gets out of hand. Like, look at the source of your stress and work on that. For example, one of the biggest sources of stress for me was my difficulty focusing on school back in high school. I was depressed, lacking in motivation, and a procrastinator, which led to me often not getting work done, and in turn, getting poor grades. I never did quite fix this while I was in high school (I mean, I eventually did well enough that I could graduate with my lowest grade being a C), but when I went into college, I knew I needed to change so that I would never have to go through the stress that I do in high school. Since, I get lazy when I'm home, one of the things I do is try to get most of my work done in the school library. I even have a planner to keep track of what I've done/need to do. It's been working out so far, as I haven't missed a single assignment and my grades are sitting at solid A's. It's crazy to think that I'm having an easier time in college atm than in high school.

Of course, is not always easy to fix the source of the stress. Sometimes it comes from things outside of your control (like, perhaps your parents are fighting). However, if the stress is something that comes from you, work on fixing yourself so that you can minimize your chances of stress. Just make sure you don't overwork yourself. One of the things I do when I feel like I have too much work is to break the task at hand into smaller tasks. Say that maybe you have a 1,000 word essay. Maybe write 500 words one day, and the other 500 the next.

For things that are out of my control, one of my favorite ways of relieving stress is to draw. I also enjoy listening to music/watching videos. Sometimes when I do these things, I'll even light a candle. I think candles have a calming effect. I keep one in my room at all times. And talking to a friend about how you feel is always an option.

Comfort foods are also great. Most of my comfort foods are things that are quick and easy to get, like ramen, ice cream, and hot chocolate.

Oh, and naps. Naps are nice.

Just be careful when it comes to taking a break. Sometimes it becomes easy to outright avoid the situation at hand.

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I usually get stressed when I have a lot to do in little time. To avoid feeling overwhelmed, I make a list of things of all the things I have to do, in order of priority. This way, I focus on one thing at the time rather than trying to think about everything all at once. I find that good time management alleviates stress, too. If you're having trouble getting through something, just think: "why am I doing this? how does doing this help me to get what I want?" If you can find a good reason, use that to motivate you. If you can't, just stop doing that thing. Now, I don't know your situation so these things might not apply at all.

Also, if the source of stress is something you can't control, it's not something worth stressing over, probably.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Some ways I deal with stress are:
-Going for a run
-Drinking tea
-smoking (lol jk Tobacco is bad)
I just want to highlight something about tobacco, considering you brought it up. The reason that people feel at ease when they've had a cigarette is because smokers are constantly on-edge when they haven't had their fix. What's happening is that a tobacco addict who has just smoked is equally as relaxed as they would be if they have never had a cigarette in their life.

tl;dr: don't smoke kids

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I basically become a bear before hibernation. I eat and then I nap. Then I regret it and I eat healthily and work out. I also don't talk much when I'm feeling stressed out. I don't even wanna listen to music when I do and that's saying too much. I love enjoying the silence.

Sometimes I go to the gym, sleep, etc. But usually playing Pokemon Showdown for a little while helps me deal with my stress, because I have a lot of friends there that help me feel more serene, and can help me with my problems. Still though, work can be pretty overwhelming.

I just want to highlight something about tobacco, considering you brought it up. The reason that people feel at ease when they've had a cigarette is because smokers are constantly on-edge when they haven't had their fix. What's happening is that a tobacco addict who has just smoked is equally as relaxed as they would be if they have never had a cigarette in their life.

tl;dr: don't smoke kids
But you fail to notice that tobacco gives you a high, that can most certainly relieve stress for a while. For example, I smoke rarely but when I do, it is a very relaxing 10 or so minutes. You just sit, watch the world, and let it do the magic in you. That is very often enough to drag you out of the hectic stuff that cause you stress.

But yes tobacco is bad for you if you do it too much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)