ORAS OU Don't wet the joint peaked around 1760

Yo guys I decided to make a team centred around Volcanion. I initially tested vocanion alongside Keldeo and found that the two made a strong offensive core as they could handle easily overpower each others checks. I soon discovered choice lando was a Godsend to the core as it functioned as an excellent pivot plus its speed allowed it to clean easily. Nevertheless after numerous changes I finally constructed a team that done very well peaking at 1760, nevertheless while the team is good it is not without its flaws. The biggest threats to the team are Slowbro, amoongus and mega venusaur, so if any body has any suggestions on how to combat these mons that would be greatly appreciated.

Team at a glance

Keldeo_Resolute_Forme_XY.gif Latias_XY.gif Mega-Scizor_XY.gif Sprxym645T.gif Volcanion_XY.gif clefable.gif

Volcanion_XY.gif

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Volcanion is the teams main wallbreaker and it does that perfectly. Steam eruption is the main spammable stab and with a specs it wears down resits really quickly. I went with overheat over flamethrower and fire blast because it completely destroys most things, even resits such as mega Venasuar -a major threat to the team- is comfortably koed with stealth rock and prior damage, plus I find that a most I would only keep volcanion in for a turn or two at most so the special attack drop isn't that big of an issue. Sludge wave is for fairies and hidden power grass is for the rare albeit annoying gastrodons and swamperts, however due to how rare it is to see these mons I'm considering switching to earth power to handle opposing volcanion better.

Keldeo_Resolute_Forme_XY.gif

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Specs Keldeo is another wallbreaker and coupled with volcanion the core have proved to be incredibly difficult to take down. Typically I would use volcanion first -especially against balanced teams- to wear down the opponents and then keldeo cleans up the leftovers. Scald is a decent move to spam as it does reasonable damage and the chance to burn really helps to pressure the opponent. Secret sword helps against special walls specifically chansey. Hydro pump is used to apply immediate pressure and coupled with volcanion's steam eruption proves difficult to play around. Icy wind is for the predicted latias and latios switchins and also proves to be an effective way at handling gengar. Keldeo and volcanion work really well together as they complement each others weakness's, while their coverage isn't the greatest the shear power they exert in battle proves to overcome their coverage shortcomings.

Latias_XY.gif

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias was a strange addition to the team, while its power is at times lacklustre its relatively decent bulk and the support it provides for the team is second to none. Defog is used for removing hazards making it easier for volcanion and the rest of the team to switch in. Draco meteor is just an emergency power attack that does significant damage to rotom and slowbro, while psyshock is another way to handle mega venasaur a real nuisance to the team. However, the main draw of latias and arguably the only reason why I use it over latios, is healing wish. Healing wish has saved me from a loss more times than I can remember and it allows me to play more aggressively as I know I have a backup to restore a mon.

Mega-Scizor_XY.gif

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Mega scizor has proved to be a great addition to the team, as priority bullet punch allows it to clean up and sweep late game. Since this set provides scizor with significant bulk roost is useful for staying healthy throughout the game. Swords dance is swords dance, giving scizor a chance to sweep. U-turn is an odd choice but I find that due to how the team functions it maintains pressure throughout the match and makes it easier to switch Volcanion into battle.

Sprxym645T.gif
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Landorus is the teams main pivot and handles faster threats like weavile. U-turn allows lando to act as a pivot and is really useful for racking up prior damage that pushes mons into a ko range for keldeo and volcanion. Earthquake is stab, while stone edge handles the notorious weavile. Finally knock off like u-turn provides prior damage and is just useful to cripple pokemon that really on leftovers for recovery.

clefable.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Finally, clefable is the teams glue providing support in the form of thunder wave and stealth rock. Clefable really just supports the team by pivoting into attacks and healing off the damage with soft-boiled. Clefable also causes a lot of switches which is useful for ensuring entry hazard damage.

So there you have it guys the team in all its glory. I know the team is not perfect so any suggestions would be great.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hey cool team I noticed a few things that you change though.

I suggest changing to defensive landorus with stealth rocks. Reason being you are very weak to birds like tflame. This team is lacking a good switchin to these birds or a resist, and lando-t can act as switchin. Lando-t is also a much better rocker than clefable and it also checks talonflame and pinsir. This team is also lacking a good physical switchin, scizor is usually 2hokd by things like lopunny and clefable loses to things like charizard-x. Defensive Lando-t blanket checks these things and scare them out with eq + rockyhelmet + intimidate.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Roost latias is a great way to preserve it as latias is one of your main electric and keldeo resists. Latias is taking about 40 from keldeo's specs hydro which means you can easily tank it and then roost up so you can continuously switchin to keldeo. Roost also helps you take on to Mega Manectric, raikou, and thundurs. HP Ice is doing minimal amounts of damage but without roost they could be a huge problem as they 3hko after rocks.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Next use calm mind clefable. CM is a good wincon for your team alongisde scizor. Stealth Rocks has been moved to landot and there is no harm putting cm for that slot. Moonblast is Clefable's main STAB move and hits very hard after you cm awhich can be done on a lot of the tier. Soft-Boiled allows clef to survive longer making it a very solid wincon. Thunder Wave is an amazing move overall and can allow clef to beat things that are supposed to beat clefable like mega venusaur and heatran. For the set. The given Defense and HP investment allow Clefable to be able to switchin to Jolly Lopunny's Return, and latios' psyshock. The hp and spdef are for avoiding a 2HKO from kyurem-bs Ice Beam, mega diancies moonblast, thundurus tbolt, mega manectrics tbolt.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Finally i think you should make it fire blast over overheat on volcanion. Fire Blast is usually a better choice as you can usually spam fire blast without any draw back but with overheat you have to continuously switch which isn't always good.

I hope you take these sets into consideration have a nice day n_n

Last edited:
Hey cool team I noticed a few things that you change though.

I suggest changing to defensive landorus with stealth rocks. Reason being you are very weak to birds like tflame. Lando-t is also a much better rocker than clefable and it also checks talonflame and pinsir. This team is also lacking a good physical switchin, scizor is usually 2hokd by things like lopunny and clefable loses to things like charizard-x. Defensive Lando-t blanket checks these things and scare them out with eq + rockyhelmet + intimidate.

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Roost latias is a great way to preserve it as latias is one of your main electric and keldeo resists. Latias is taking about 40 from keldeo's specs hydro which means you can easily tank it and then roost up so you can continuously switchin to keldeo. Roost also helps you take on to Mega Manectric, raikou, and thundurs. HP Ice is doing minimal amounts of damage but without roost they could be a huge problem as they 3hko after rocks.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Next use calm mind clefable. CM is a good wincon for your team alongisde scizor. Stealth Rocks has been moved to landot and there is no harm putting cm for that slot. Moonblast is Clefable's main STAB move and hits very hard after you cm awhich can be done on a lot of the tier. Soft-Boiled allows clef to survive longer making it a very solid wincon. Thunder Wave is an amazing move overall and can allow clef to beat things that are supposed to beat clefable like mega venusaur and heatran. For the set. The given Defense and HP investment allow Clefable to be able to switchin to Jolly Lopunny's Return, and latios' psyshock. The hp and spdef are for avoiding a 2HKO from kyurem-bs Ice Beam, mega diancies moonblast, thundurus tbolt, mega manectrics tbolt.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Overheat
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Finally i think you should make it fire blast over overheat on volcanion. Fire Blast is usually a better choice as you can usually spam fire blast without any draw back but with overheat you have to continuously switch which isn't always good.

I hope you take these sets into consideration have a nice day n_n

Thanks bro defo going to try out your suggestions, I originally tried using calm mind clef but i found without lando using scarf the team lacks speed, so i was constantly torn between stealth rocks clef or stealth rocks lando, but i guess thunder wave can counter the teams lack of speed.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Thanks bro defo going to try out your suggestions, I originally tried using calm mind clef but i found without lando using scarf the team lacks speed, so i was constantly torn between stealth rocks clef or stealth rocks lando, but i guess thunder wave can counter the teams lack of speed.
Ah okay, if you really think you need the speed try using scarf keldeo with the same spread.

Last edited:

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
that lando sprite is so cute omg xd anyway nice team you've got going here friend. the idea of working towards a team that centrals around volcanion is nice and rly does seem to focal around it. having access to turn allowing you to obtain momentum so that you can bring in your powerhouse mon volcanion to just destroy your opponent's team is a great idea however, i have noted that your team actually has certain issues not just with mvenu and bro, but also it has issues with a well played stall team and hence i'm going to give out some suggestions that are based around those threats on your team.

first of all, you mentioned a glaring weakness to stall's fat mons like mvenu, slowbro. i understand that keldeo with a specs seems to be an impressive choice on this team because it can help break up volc checks and vice versa. however, i don't think it is as good as an offensive electric type that can threaten slowbro mvenu and whatnot which is also able to reliably act as a wincon. my next suggestion here is to opt for choice specs raikou over keldeo. why this change is needed is because specs esens allows you to check mvenu / amoong and slowbro is also destroyed by specs tbolt. on top of that you gain additional access to powerful volt switches which in tandem with how your team is currently function, should be a good improvement.

next up, i'm going to suggest a couple of set changes and the first change is an og set that has been lost due to time and the founding of the twave cm set but this set is still a very strong set that can help deal with stall once their primary phazer like skarm is removed. and this change is to opt for calm mind twave over stealth rocks on clefable. this change is suggested because i noticed that you have an issue with stall teams that pack mons that have dual unaware users (quag + clef) and that even though you can deal with them in the long run its easier to just straight out para them and utilise the speed cut to your advantage. this is also a huge boon towards your game style against offensive teams since offense normally pack multiple mons that are able to give you the business.

lastly, i am going to echo out the change the rater above me suggested and that is to use a physdef lando-t with stealth rocks variant. this change is good because it gives you multiple options against offensive teams, esp your weakness to burdspam. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

IVs: 0 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)