SM OU Double Vest is the Best

Introduction

Hi my name is Misterioussaint here I would like to Showcase a team that me and my friend YasuKe put together. Which is base around Sword Dance Scizor, double Avest (Bulu) & (Tyranitar), rocks-clerics Clefable, Figthinium-Z Reuniclus and Scarf defensive Landorus.

The Team

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance/Curse
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn/Super Power
- Roost

Mega-Scizor is still one of the best Mega evolution in the OU tier. Being able to come in on most of the tier’s physical hitters such as Kartana, Tyranitar, Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-Black, etc.… while offering an option as a potential sweeper with SD makes it a great asset on any team. However, it does have some shortcomings that the rest of the team will try to cover.
The spread on Scizor 248/244/16 allows to have more set up opportunities the 244 allows it to take physical attacks with ease and the 16 SpD allows you to switch more consistently into choice lock Lele on predicted Psychic/Moon blast

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Tomb/Rockslide
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tyranitar. Heatran is easily Scizor’s biggest counter, as it walls Scizor pretty easily, can threaten it out with Lava Plume/Magma Storm, and get free rocks. This is where T-Tar comes through. This Assault Vest set allows Tar to hit 703 Special Defense in Sand and eat Heatran’s hits for days (see calcs below) and kill it with an Earthquake. Pursuit allows you to trap the potential Zapdos/Lati’s/Tornadus on the double, while Rock Slide/Rock Tomb kills Volcarona, while having more accuracy than Stone Edge. Overall, this mon is able to sponge any special attack that’s not super effective (and even some that are, it eats a Focus Blast from modest Mega Zam/Specs Tapu Lele) and dealing a great amount of damage to the opposing team, making it possible for Mega Scizor or Reuniclus to sweep.

As it has been explained earlier and support it with calcs. The spread on AV Tyranitar allows it to sponge special hits with ease. The main reason we decide to use av Tyranitar was because of the wave of modest Alakazam running around, not to mentions that Tyranitar does a pretty good job at checking Volcarona which I see most teams are weak to now a day but also allow you to check Charizard Y, boltbeam Magearna, lastly the Sand stream provided by Tyranitar is a helpful against other weather teams like rain which is very common and is also nice putting sand on the field forcing Peliper to switch into rocks if they are up

252+ SpA Heatran Bloom Doom (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar: 230-272 (57 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ SpA Heatran Corkscrew Crash (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 194-230 (48.1 - 57%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

+4 252 SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 306-362 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 244-288 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 96 SpD / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Standard AV Tapu Bulu serves the role of the main Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele/Greninja(Battle Bond) switch-in, since it can take their hits pretty well and dish out some good damage back with STAB Horn Leech/Wood Hammer. It also gives TTar a passive recovery thanks to the Grassy Terrain it provides. It can wall other big threats like Zygarde, Scarf Lando, and provides good synergy with the rest of the group.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Clef is your standard set, being a really solid Stealth Rocker/Wish passer. Its main purpose is to stop the opposing Medi/Hawlucha/Zygarde from going crazy, as they are really powerful against the first three, while Wish passing to pivots such as TTar and Landorus, as they don’t have reliable recovery and allows them to stay alive longer and be menacing throughout the game. Clef is one of the most durable mons in the tier and is always able to do its job properly during the battle.

Reuniclus @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Reuniclus is the second set up sweeper of the team. This mon can put a lot of work both offensively and defensively, being able to come in on Medicham and also Toxapex, which the first 4 kind of struggle against. This spread enables Reuniclus to outspeed Pex and deal massive damage to it with Psyshock. Calm Mind lets you 1v1 the tier’s best special walls, and All-Out Pummeling OHKO’s Ferrothorn, AV Magearna and SpDef Celesteela after some boosts, who are big nuisances for the rest of the team otherwise.​

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 208 HP / 20 Atk / 72Def / 4 SpD / 208 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Stone Edge
- Defog
- U-turn​

Finally, Scarf Lando-T is the main form of speed control on the squad. Max Speed lets you out speed most Scarf Lando’s, as they usually run more bulk for better defensive efficiency and threaten/kill them with HP Ice. Stone Edge can be ran instead if you fear Zard Y, even though TTar should be enough to handle it if you play it right.​
The spread on Landorus 208hp/72def allows Landorus to stop Charizard X from sweeping as you can throw Landorus hard into the Dragon Dance and be able to KO with Stab EQ. 208 Speed allows Landorus to out speed timid Mega Alakazam and as well grant you a slow U-turn over another scarf Landorus.

Thread list
Magnezone is a perhaps one of the biggest problems to the team providing that it does trap Scizor and the nothing on the team appreciates and choice specs boosted hit from it the best way to deal with it is lure in with Ttar live the hit and retaliate with earthquake.

Hoopa is another Pokémon to which I lack switching due to the composition of the team I do not have a solid switch because banded Hoopa is able to just break through fat and slow teams like this one. To deal with it first need to scout whether is banded or specs etc. to deal with the banded set is to lure the hyperspace fury and trap it with Ttar since hyperspace fury does lower it defense it is a guarantee KO. For the specs set for which in my opinion is an easier to deal with since Bulu can switch in in the majority of times.

Charizard X not as popular as last gen but has some usage still In USM. Charizard X is one of the most threating Pokémon to face as is able to set up in front of 4 out of 6 Pokémon in the team. Although is possible to deal with as Landorus can eat a hit at neutral even after rocks and Tyranitar can deal with EQ variants by first setting up grassy and retaliating with rock tomb or rockslide +1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 235-277 (58.3 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Lastly, keeping rocks up also deal with Charizard X by limiting its switch ins.

Mega Pinsir can do major damage to the team as I the team does not appreciates a boosted return. Although rocks plus priority in bullet punch can potentially deal with but if rocks aren’t up and Pinsir manages to get an SD I have very little counter play as Landorus cannot do much against which I can still check by Ttar even at plus two with grassy terrain if is an EQ variant over CC in case Scizor dies or is low enough to take a hit and roost.

+2 252 Atk Pinsir-Mega Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar in Grassy Terrain: 228-270 (56.5 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Other Options

Running Super Power on Scizor as is seem is a growing trend now but it means you giving momentum by doing so.

Curse Scizor can potentially be an option of playing Scizor more so if you worry about HO (Hyper Offense) as it can One V One most of physical attackers with this spread 248hp/244def/16SpDef

Unaware Clef is another possibility if you’re afraid of set up sweepers such as Gyarados, SubDD Zygarde, CM Latios etc… as it can handle them with more ease.

Here is the Team
https://pokepast.es/fa5cadc58bcab8b7

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey Misterioussaint, I promised I would help you out with the team, so here it goes. Overall, this is a pretty solid team that utilizes some very popular Pokemon, such as Mega Scizor and Tapu Bulu. However, there are still a few changes that I would make in order to maximize this team's potential.

=========================

Let's first look at some key threats to your team, which will aid us in making changes later on.

Mega Scizor is by far the biggest team to your threat. Its Curse set can basically 6-0 your entire team, as it sets up on almost everything with ease. It also beats your Scizor 1v1 because it's Swords Dance. Nothing on your team can 2HKO it and you basically rely on Reuniclus to somehow beat it.

Although Mega Alakazam isn't a huge immediate threat, you do still have to watch out for its ability to 2HKO your entire team with Stealth Rock / Spikes support, or even Magnezone to trap Scizor. Tapu Lele is also quite problematic, bc it gets to fire off free Psychics and can kill Scizor easily with an HP Fire afterwards. Tyranitar is an okay answer, but it can get worn down rather easily, and you have to take into account whether its Specs or Fight Z.

Fire-types can also be annoying to deal with since you rely on AV Tyranitar to deal with them. Focus Blast can beat Tyranitar if it lands, especially since it's your primary switch-in to Zard-Y, and Heatran can also threaten it with Steelium Z, an extremely common set atm.

Flying-types can also be problematic if they pack Fighting-type coverage. Mega Pinsir can threaten to beat your entire team at +2, while Tornadus-T can also do a lot of damage to Tyranitar with Superpower and proceed to pivot out with U-turn.

Below are my suggestions to improve your team:

>

Although Clefable is a phenomenal Pokemon, I believe that Heatran is better for your team. Heatran gives your team the Mega Scizor answer that it desperately requires, unlike Clefable, which Scizor can just set up on. Heatran is also better against Psychic-types because you can Toxic them and then Protect stall them, and they can only touch you with Focus Blast - same goes for Fire-types. Lastly, it also helps with Flying-types to a certain extent. Although Pinsir beats it 1v1, it can't switch into it, and Torn also relies on Superpower to beat it.

>

I also think that Reuniclus is cool, but it's slow and prone to being overwhelmed by stuff like Ash Greninja, and it also gets set up on by Mega Scizor. Instead, Tapu Lele keeps the offensive pressure that you'd want with Reuniclus while providing Psychic Terrain to help beat Scizor. It also has a more powerful Psychic, which a lot of teams struggle to switch into rn.

>

AV Tyranitar really isn't good outside of certain teams, and I don't think this team is one of them. Instead, I would opt for a Choice Band set to hit as hard as possible, which helps you out with fat builds alongside Tapu Lele.

Nature's Madness > Stone Edge
Stone Edge is nice for Fire-types like Volcarona and Zard-Y, but Toxic + specially defensive Heatran helps you out with those already, and I believe the utility that Nature's Madness provides to deal an immediate 50% to Pokemon like Celesteela and Scizor. I also included a better spread than what you currently have in the importable below.

Stone Edge > HP Ice
To compensate for Tapu Bulu losing it, Landorus-T could use Stone Edge over HP Ice to hit the Flying-types you wanted it to hit. Moreover, the team has a solid matchup against Zygarde and Gliscor due to Curse Scizor.

There are a couple Pokemon changes, but the overall structure of your team remained the same for the most part.

(click me!)

Above is an importable of my team with the changes. Although I did change a couple Pokemon and a few sets, the overall structure of your team remained the same. There are some Pokemon that you still have to be wary about, however.
is a huge problem if Tapu Bulu is lured, weakened, or removed, so play around it cautiously and give it little opportunity to come in for free.
is also an annoying core to deal with, but luckily, Mega Alakazam shouldn't get many chances to come in safely. Lastly,
has virtually no switch-ins outside of good pivoting and applying pressure.

Hope you enjoy the new team, and feel free to PM me with any questions you have! :toast:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)