Battle Spot Doubles Competitive Team

Introduction

Hello Pokemon trainers/battlers~ I've been battling "competitively" (VGC 2017 rulings) for a few months now (i think) and I just recently started playing Battle Spot Doubles "competitively". This is the first team I've built for Battle Spot rulings and I was wondering what you all think of it.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Tomb
As Mega's go in teams, I decided to go with Mega Kangaskhan to fill my Mega pokemon slot on my team. Though it's ability got nerfed, Mega Kangaskhan is just still so powerful in my opinion. Parental Bond now makes Mega Kangaskhan's 2nd hit 25% of the 1st hit instead of 50% but it's still powerful. Another thing I like about Mega Kangaskhan is that both hits gain the effect (example: Rock Tomb, if hit, has a 100% chance to lower the targets speed by 1). So with both hits, the targets speed lowers by 2. And that explains my move choice, Rock Tomb. The first time I played with Mega Kangaskhan, I used Power-Up Punch and Drain Punch. But because I don't have access to teach my Kangaskhan in Sun/Moon, I'm stuck with the move-set you see here. I feel like Return is almost like a staple for Kangaskhan so I see no reason to explain why i use it. Fake Out is also kind of like a staple i think but i use it to get that first turn flinch... And then I chose Sucker Punch because it has priority and can, most of the time, knock the rest of the HP out of the target.... Now for the EV's and Nature, I went with all power and a bit of bulk. 252 HP EV's so it can take more hits, 252 ATK EV's and Adamant Nature to maximize it's attack power, and then 4 Spe EV's just so it can just barely outspeed other Kangaskhan who don't invest in the Spe stat.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
Pelipper is my Rain Starter and is very important. Pelipper and Vaporeon (as you see below) are the 2 i started with when making this team. Pelipper brings up Rain and my Vaporeon can sweep under it. This Pelipper is an exact copy to Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng's Pelipper on his San Jose Regional team excluding Surf. Focus Sash is held because Pelipper is really frail and can be easily OHKO'd. So it allows me to set up Tailwind, if i need it, much easier. The 252 SpA EV's and Modest Nature is to give Pelipper some extra power to help KO the other Pokemon, 252 Spe EV's to help ensure that Tailwind goes off/goes off first or to quickly KO another Pokemon with a Super Effective Scald/Hurricane, and the 4 SpD EV's because I honestly saw no better place to put the last remaining EV's. Scald is the primary attack for Pelipper, Hurricane gets 100% accuracy under Rain, Tailwind for speed control, and then Surf acts as a potion for Vaporeon while damaging the opponent.

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Muddy Water
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Ice Beam
I know a lot of people are thinking "Why are you using Vaporeon when there are better Pokemon out there to use?" Well my answer to that is simply because I enjoy using Pokemon that others aren't. Don't get me wrong though, I WILL use "higher tier" Pokemon if I ABSOLUTELY need to. But in this case, I don't absolutely need to in my opinion... Vaporeon is often seen or has been mostly seen as a very bulky Cleric with Wish and Baton Pass or a Toxic user or ect. I know I'm not the only one to do this but I chose to take Vaporeon on as a sweeper. With its 110 SpA Base Stat, this makes Vaporeon a threat when utilizing it's SpA Stat. An example of how strong a 252 SpA EV and Choice Specs Vaporeon would be:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Vaporeon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Garchomp: 180-212 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Not sure if that was a great example but there's an example. I really wanted to maximize Vaporeons SpA with the Choice Specs but it can be a bit frustrating sometimes like when I lock in with Scald or Muddy Water and end up going 1v1 against Gastrodon... I know most would invest EV's into Def/SpD/HP over Spe but I wanted to try something different. With a speedy Vaporeon, it CAN throw off or surprise quite a lot of people. With an active Tailwind, Vaporeon outspeeds and 252 Spe Timid Tapu Koko (which happens to be one of Vaporeon and Pelipper's bigger threats)... Scald is Vaporeon's strongest and accurate single target move. Muddy Water hits both opposing Pokemon and has 30% chance to lower their accuracy. Ice Beam for coverage and Hidden Power Poison for coverage.

Togedemaru @ Figy Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Nuzzle
- Poison Jab
- Spiky Shield
- Reflect
Togedemaru is here to redirect opposing single targeting electric moves to itself. I gave it a Figy Berry and put 252 EV's into HP and SpD to help keep Togedemaru alive. I saw no point in investing in Def EV's since it'll most likely get OHKO'd or pretty close to it when hit by an Earthquake. Nuzzle is for the Paralysis, Poison Jab to help deal a bit of damage and as well to help deal with the Tapus, Spiky Shield cause it's better than Protect, and Reflect to help with Vaporeon's low Def Base Stat.

Latios @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Honestly, I first chose Latios simply because I wanted to try it out. I've tried Life Orb Latios (didn't like it), Choice Specs Latios (wasn't too bad. was very powerful but I found myself needing to switch moves a lot), and now I'm at AV Latios (which I'm currently loving). Latios is fairly frail and can only take a couple of hits. So as i tested with Assault Vest, Latios' longevity improved by far while still hitting hard with it's 252 SpA EV's and Modest Nature. Psychic is the main move I use while Energy Ball, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt are all just for coverage.

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Coil
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
So~~~ remember when I said, in the Vaporeon section, that I enjoy using Pokemon that others aren't? Arbok is another prime example of that. I haven't seen a single person use Arbok in the many battles I've fought. As I was looking for a Poison type, I did debate to use Toxicroak or not... I ended up just going with Arbok to get a little bit of a surprise factor. Though Arbok may not be as fast or as strong as most Physical Sweepers, Arbok can still get the job done. Having Intimidate access was the main reason I chose Arbok over Toxicroak... As i was play testing with Arbok, I ended up going with a 252 Atk EV Adamant Nature Arbok. Arbok needed more power and so i gave it to it. Protect is to protect/scout, Coil is to GAIN MORE POWAH (power), Sucker Punch is for the quick KO, and then Gunk Shot is Arboks main move.

Conclusion

Honestly, the team is fun to use and I brought it to RMT to see what y'all think of it. Again, I know some of my choices aren't the "best" but I don't like running what everyone else is. Just not as fun for me. I enjoy using unpopular battling Pokemon or "lower tier" Pokemon and then winning with them to prove that not everyone has to run a Garchomp or a Tapu.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Tomb

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Tailwind

Vaporeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Muddy Water
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Ice Beam

Togedemaru @ Figy Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Nuzzle
- Poison Jab
- Spiky Shield
- Reflect

Latios @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Coil
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)