SM OU Dragon Spam HO [Xtra+HEAT, peak 1800+]

> Dragon Spam HO [Xtra+HEAT] <

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Unique dragon spam HO guaranteed to induce fun if you're bored of using "meta teams" and want something fast and efficient. I got to 1800 just messing around with this team for a short while and decided to post it since it's extremely enjoyable to use and actually decent. The play style with this team is very aggressive and involves taking advantage of surprise sets and bluffing like a madman.

Teambuilding Process

Dragon dragon dragon. The overarching teambuilding vision was to make a team that had a suicide lead (excadrill) and 5 setup mons that would either break the enemy team entirely in a few turns or lose. Excadrill is the lead of choice as it can reliably get up rocks and usually prevent opposing rocks for zard/dnite. Zygarde is an easy choice as it is one of the most broken mons right now with ridiculous bulk and thousand arrows spam. Dnite is the ground immunity and multiscale can prevent sweeps from certain mons that would otherwise be troublesome for this team. Zard-x is there to break through bulky teams and stall teams with swords dance. Magearna provides the team with a much needed psychic/fairy resist as well as surprise sweep potential with shift gear and calm mind. Scarf kartana is the speed control and doubles as another potential sweeper.

The Team

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 76 Atk / 208 SpA / 224 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Dragon #1 is a physical and special attacking dragonite with coverage for common mons that would wall regular physical dnite. Ice beam lets you hit max-HP landorus and kill it from full with SpA investment and fire blast is for steel walls like skarmory, ferrothorn and mega-scizor. This mon can act as an anti-lead to rocky helmet landorus which can otherwise get up rocks versus lead excadrill. Dragon dance lets you bluff the physical set and bait their walls to be hit by super effective special moves. Earthquake gives solid coverage versus heatran/koko/AV-magearna, while dragon claw is more reliable for getting damage off on non-resistant mons like greninja. This mon is all about bluffing your moveset to pick up KOs for the other sweepers. Multiscale is very useful versus rain teams as it prevents sweeps and buys you a KO and an extra turn of rain wasted. Dragonite + scarf-kart is the rain backbone that gives you a chance at winning.

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 136 HP / 220 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Dragon #2 is one of the best pokemon in OU without question. Dragonium is not very common which lets me pick up surprise KOs on any non bulky mons like keldeo, pelipper, opposing zygardes and weakened defensive landos. 152 Spe evs give enough to outspeed tapu koko at +1, though it is fine to run enough speed to outspeed Ash-gren. I don't mind giving up the speed because most opponents will assume +1 outspeeds Ash-gren anyways due to how common 276 speed zygarde is, and extreme speed does a large amount at +1 anyways. This pokemon is insanely dangerous and will easily dismantle weakened teams. I usually bring it in later on into the battle as opposed to trying to get hits off early as Zard-x is stronger and more reliable at opening holes.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage/Dragon claw
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Dragon #3 is so uncommon that it gives it a slight edge over its zard-y counterpart on this team. This is bluff god number 2 as you can easily bluff the more common zard-y by bringing this pokemon in confidently on landos and celesteelas. Usually this gives you a free SD as they switch into their special walls (hence SD over dragon dance) and allows you to pick up a KO. Versus stall, you will almost always get a free +2 on their switch to chansey which is very useful for opening necessary holes in the opposing team. Zard-x is quite volatile and will make or break certain matchups. Versus a mon like defensive celesteela which this team struggles against, playing around zard-x well is critical. Again, I am greedy with my speed tiers so I run Adamant, but Jolly nature will definitely work as well.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast

Very underrated magearna set that allows you to beat the common steels of heatran + ferrothorn. 80 SpA with +1 lets you knock out max-HP non-spdef invested heatran from full after rocks and leftovers recovery. The rest goes into speed so you can outspeed most mons after a shift gear. Calm mind + leftovers lets you set up on so many mons it is ridiculous. AV-magearna is very common so now people take less care to prevent setup from a set like this thinking that their heatran/ferro will prevent a magearna sweep. It is easy to set up on popular mons such as tapu lele and choice locked kartana.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

This pokemon is somewhat of an anti-scarfer that gives speed control against +1 sweepers and other scarfers. Kartana's 348 speed is enough for most mons except scarf lati, but if they attack they allow free setup for many pokemon on this team. I run smart strike over defog for situations where i need to knock out the very common tapu koko but still need to hit mons like magearna for neutral damage at +1 attack. Defog is an alright alternative for the last slot but I have not tested the team with it.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Standard excadrill set. Almost always click rocks and die, which is all it is meant to do. Toxic annoying defogers like zapdos and make sure rocks stay up before excadrill goes down. Biggest thing to look out for is teams that are known to have rocky helmet lando or is likely to have it. Counterplay to rocky helmet lando is to lead dnite and force a switch or pick up the KO turn one with ice beam. Consider double ice beaming on their double back to lando if they switch out to scout for ice beam initially!

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/DLs4XtpV

Replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-677712780
Good example of the risky and incredibly fun play style of this team. Kartana switch in after drill lead to force out keldeo which I do not have a hard answer for and use dnite to lure in lando and take 93% off with ice beam. Zygarde could have swept through my opponent's entire team at that point but he made a great play going into landorus to scout my dragonium. Ended up being a close game!

Conclusion
Fast games are fun and 3 dragons are even more fun. Remember to play aggressive and I hope you like the team! Also, why is CTC the actual GOAT and greatest human being alive?

Last edited:
Hey I really like this team, first of all. Really solid, straightforward plan from lead to midgame to finish.

One question tho, how do you deal with Celesteelas? I was having a hard time wearing them down when piloting this. Zard obviously gets one over on it, but it seeds and weasels out of chip damage every time.

hello im going to rate!

so picture a scenario of a team with rocky helmet landot and medicham which is extremely common on the 1800-2000 elo range where ppl love to spam medicham hawlucha offense with sash/helmet landot. rocks go up u cant remove it cuz of the rocky helmet then medicham comes in and 5-0es the team more or less i think. kart also doesnt ohko medicham with any 1 move from full

so heres what i think u can do...
  • maybe fit defog on scarf kartana somewhere
  • jolly is probably better than adamant on zardx so at least its a speed tie with medicham
  • maybe yache on zygarde and then fly z on dnite? not as sure about this as the 1st 2 points but maybe u wna test this out

Hey I really like this team, first of all. Really solid, straightforward plan from lead to midgame to finish.

One question tho, how do you deal with Celesteelas? I was having a hard time wearing them down when piloting this. Zard obviously gets one over on it, but it seeds and weasels out of chip damage every time.
Celesteela is probably the hardest mon for this team since charizard-x is the only thing that beats it reliably. If you've prevented hazards, you can switch into zard to force it out and double on the right turn. This is just about predicting whether they switch out initially on your zard-x or after a protect. Knocking celesteela off with kartana is very helpful since you can chip it with rocks. It's possible to switch into kartana on a predicted heavy slam/leech seed and then double into zard on the fire move to avoid taking leech damage. Note that zygarde can set up on celesteela and will be able to knock it out if it gets low enough.

hello im going to rate!

so picture a scenario of a team with rocky helmet landot and medicham which is extremely common on the 1800-2000 elo range where ppl love to spam medicham hawlucha offense with sash/helmet landot. rocks go up u cant remove it cuz of the rocky helmet then medicham comes in and 5-0es the team more or less i think. kart also doesnt ohko medicham with any 1 move from full

so heres what i think u can do...
  • maybe fit defog on scarf kartana somewhere
  • jolly is probably better than adamant on zardx so at least its a speed tie with medicham
  • maybe yache on zygarde and then fly z on dnite? not as sure about this as the 1st 2 points but maybe u wna test this out
Ya i never ran into medichams while playing with this so it was never an issue. Definitely valid points on improvements but oh well it's a fun team at heart :/. Possible counterplay is lead exca, switch to kart on fake out, get leaf blade damage and force it out with zygarde e-speed and potentially double into exca to get rocks up to prevent future switch ins.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)