Drifting through the metagame (An NU RMT)

Introduction

Ever since I joined NU, I awaited the return of Drifbilm, Unburden combined with that sheer HP and Calm Mind means almost no ghost in NU would fit his niche. Misdreveus was the closest of these, but it was underwhelming because it dies rather quickly physically. And with all that Stunktank roaming around, I find it hard to set up Nasty Plot and sweep.

Now that Drifbilm is back I think its time to put this team up for a rate. This team was pretty successful even after Slowking, who was one of the best counters to Magmortar, was gone. It didn't have any particularly stinging weaknesses (well there are still some but we'll get to that later) nor did it have any issuses with synergy. Finally, most of NU's top dogs, such as Espeon, are checked quite decently.

So, without further ado:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinsir@Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs:4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature:Jolly

• Stealth Rock
  • Earthquake
  • X-Scissor
  • Quick Attack

-----------------------------
Originally, I needed a lead that can Stealth Rock, have decent speed, and has some oomph. Pinsir fitted this definition perfectly. Unlike other bug leads like Armaldo, it can outspeed threats like Magmortar, and nail it with Earthquake. This is also why I chose Earthquake over Close Combat: because it hits Magmortar, and pairs well with Mold Breaker. While it may not seem much for the latter because there isn't too many notable targets. It can always nail levitating ghosts. Such as Haunter or Misdreveus.

Most of the time, I usually Stealth Rock first. I just generally find Stealth Rocking more useful than attacking straight out. It can also nail Magmortar should a Scarf Magmortar come in and attempt to revenge kill Pinsir. The next act depends: I either attack provided the foe can't do much to Pinsir and/or it is weak to Pinsir's STAB, or I can switch to the appropriate pokemon. And most of the time it would be either Eggy or Drifbilm. With the former doing major damage to even NU walls.

On something as fragile as Pinsir, Focus Sash can help greatly. Particularly against things like Armaldo who can Stone Edge me to hell. It can also save my ass so Pinsir can Stealth Rock safely then switch to the suitable pokemon.

Things I'm considering is changing Quick Attack to Stone Edge, because Quick Attack isn't really doing much. Nor is it helping Pinsir in almost any way. I mean, the only thing Quick Attack is really useful for is poking
scarfers.

---------------------------------------

Drifbilm@Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Sp. Atk
Nature: Modest

• Calm Mind
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power Ground
  • Rest

-------------
The beauty of the skies, indeed. Drifbilm is the star of the show, no other ghost can fill its position. It is like a balloon filled with wonders, a twinkling star.....

On to serious talking, this Drifbilm is just a modified Calm Mind Chesto set except with Hidden Power Ground over Fighting because generally hitting Stunktank is better than hitting Sharpedo, who can kill Drifbilm before it can act. Another thing modified over the original set was probably the EVs, Max HP and near Max defenses takes advantage of Drifbilm's overall bulk and separates it over other Calm Minders like Misdreveus. The rest are poured into Special Attack.

If you haven't noticed yet, the premise of the set is to abuse Drifbilm's ability in Unburden for a sweep. When the opportunity comes, I send in Drifbilm and start Calm Minding. If Drifbilm is weakened, I rest up to boost my speed. outspeeding most threats while rampaging through the foe. To make matters worse, Drifbilm is fully healed. This, combined with 3 immunities, makes for a deadly sweeper. If the foe used knock off, then that makes it all that better but in exchange I lose my one turn rest up, so I usually tend to switch out if I do know its a knock offer.

What I'm considering is changing those EVs. I'm currently having a hard time trying to find a more suitable EV spread.
------------------

Stunktank@ Life Orb
Ability: Aftermath
Evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Nature: Adamant

• Crunch
  • Pursuit
  • Sucker Punch
  • Explosion

----------------------
If I have a Drifbilm, I also needed a counter for it. Opposing Drifbilms may catch me off guard, and then start sweeping. This is where Stunktank comes in. This thing is one of the finest Ghost / Psychic check: it has a wide variety of moves to toy around with them. Including Pursuit for catching off fleeing pokemon, and Sucker Punch for some of the faster mons. This is also my main Espeon counter, A common pest with teams.

Most of the time Psychic or Ghost pokemon are helpless against this thing. If they flee off, Stunktank pursuits them into oblivion. If they stay in and attack it with an appropriate move (Preferably Hidden Power) they get Sucker Punch. And should a ghost or psychic type set up a Calm Mind sweep, they get Crunched. However, Stunktank won't win all of the time against ghosts. Stunktank has a risk being Will-O-Wisp'd for example. So usually, I don't switch stunktank directly into ghost types until I know its set.

Life Orb allows Stunktank to hit those bulky ghost types (i.e Drifbilm) hard and gives Stunktank's Explosions against Physical walls (Quagsire) A little extra oomph. It just helps Stunktank greatly in general.
--------------------------

Primeape@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature : Jolly

• Close Combat
  • U-Turn
  • Punishment
  • Ice Punch

-----------------
I always needed a check that can destroy Stunktank while also act as a useful revenge killer to some threats if I wanted to build a team with Drifbilm. Evenually I chose Primeape. One of the main reasons why I chose Primeape over something like Medicham is because the additional power Close Combat brings is better than having more power in general. It also checks Stunktank better than Medicham due to it being pure fighting. Vital Spirit is also a plus, as it can come in on sleep inducers like Venomoth.

Like Medicham, I usually switch this thing in after an enemy has killed something. Primeape will take lots of damage from STAB neutral attacks, or even non-STAB and I can't risk losing it because without it, Drifbilm would have a harder time setting up a sweep. It also means I have less chances to strike beasts like Manetric. Primeape cannot risk a paralysis either. Otherwise, it would become useless. For these reasons, I prefer not switching it into pokemon. Once it is in however, Close Combat can rip through teams once their Ghost or Psychic pokemon are gone and Stunktank can help with that.

What I am considering is changing punishment to Stone Edge. Most of the time, The only ghost I will encounter is Drifbilm. But Ice Punch already tears through Drifbilm and other flyers so punishment is situational at best.
---------------------------

Quagsire@Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Nature: Impish

• Recover
  • Earthquake
  • Stone Edge
  • Encore

-----------
Before Drifbilm came, I had Typhlosion on this slot. It performed perfectly because with Blaze, Flamethrower can sweep teams. It also acted as my secondary revenge killer, going for the kill when Primeape was lost.

But now Drifbilm is in and Slowking is out. And now I have a synergy issue and a Fire weakness. So I had to replace Typhlosion with one of the best alternatives to Slowking: Quagsire. He is my main counter against Fire Types and provides the team with a water Immunity. Quagsire can also keep Physical attackers such as Stunktank and Primeape out at bay. Making for an excellent member of the team.

Quagsire will almost always switch in as soon as a Physical Pokemon or Fire Pokemon switches in. Thankfully, none of then can penetrate Quagsire's defenses (Except LO Sharpedo). Quagsire is also useful for set-up sweepers which can help Stunktank. Drifbilm, for example, can be encored into Shadow Ball so Stunktank can switch in freely. It can also help against set up sweepers like Sword Dance Pinsir who thinks he can laugh at Stone Edgeless Quagsire all day.
-------------------------

Exeggutor@Choice Specs
EVs:4 HP / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spe
Nature:Modest

• Leaf Storm
  • Hidden Power Ground
  • Grass Knot
  • Psychic

-----------------
Inspired by Sceats, Specs Eggy can hit extremely hard with his STAB Leaf Storm. It can be useful at decimating pokemon like Gilgar and Electric Types like Ampharos or even choiced Manetric. It is also my main check against Opposing Quagsires and the like. I felt Eggy to be underwhelming however. Leaf Storm leaves it open for Drifbilm and Stunktank. And the Special Attack drop makes it set-up fodder. So thus Eggy is usually considered the weakest link of the team.

Eggy will usually come in after Pinsir switches out, nails something with a STAB Leaf Storm coming from an excellent base 125 Special Attack stat, then switches out. Simple as that. Occasionally, I can use my secondary STAB should I feel a Sword Dancer like Charizard is coming. And if I sense a Stunktank switch planning to pursuit me, I can always ground it with Hidden Power Ground. But if it survives, don't expect Eggy to stay in.
--------------------------------------

Threat List

While this team has the ability to fare well with some of the most common threats it obviously have weaknesses like every other team out their. So therefore, heres a threat list so you can consider some of the threats able to destroy me before rating this team.
---------------------------------------------------

----------
High Level Threat

Sets I have Trouble with:

-Life Orb
----------
This thing rips through my team like a hot knife through butter. I don't have any reliable switch in for Manetric except for Quagsire. Who can't really take on Magnetric due for the risk of Hidden Power Grass. Stunktank and Primeape is my only hope against him as both can outspeed/sucker punch him for some severe damage. But once their gone, I'm doomed.
------------

---------------
High Level Threat

Sets I have trouble with

-Nasty Plot
---------------
Much like Magnetric she can pose a serious threat to the team as unlike Magnetric, she is bulkier. The only way of even hitting it is Primeape and Stunktank's priority. I'm also doomed if these two are gone so yeah.

-----------------
High- Upper Mid level threat

-Life Orb
------------------------
Magmortar is another pest to this team particularly with Slowking gone. But it isn't unstoppable. I can use the Primeape + Stunktank strategy to wear Magmortar out, or I can simply outspeed and OHKO it with Pinsir provided he stays alive.

Upper Mid Level Threat

Guts Sword Dancer
Quick Feet Sword Dancer
------------------------
I haven't seeing these thing too much but If Primeape is gone then Ursaring can be annoying to deal with. Particularly with guts. Quagsire can Encore a return provided he survives it, then I can set up with Drifbilm.
------------------------

If anyone else spots a destructive threat, It will be added to the threat list. With their level of threatness judged.

The EVs on the site analysis seem to do alot more than your current ones. They are 12 HP / 252 Def / 124 SpA / 32 SpD / 88 Spe. But even 232HP/252Def gets more defence than your current spread.
If you are set on creating your own spread (if not,go with the on site one as it does seem quite sound)...then think about what you want to outspeed first, then any spec.atk investment necessary, if any, then finally use http://users.smogon.com/X-Act/defense.html to help you get your defence evs optimized. You could move those 32 SpD EVs and/or SpA EVs to defence if you really want to make it that bulky but its hp is so large that I think it is more beneficial to the overall sweep if you invest in the other stats. Hope I helped a bit.

The Analysis on-site is outdated and modified for UU play. Thanks for the help through, I really should have not invested too much in HP.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
I think 252 Def/88 Spe is mandatory on ChestoRest Drifblim - you can invest some HP if you want, if there are any notable physical OHKOs/2HKOs you avoid, and then stick the rest in SpD or SpA. 88 Spe is still relevant, outspeeding ScarfApe after the boost.

There really isn't any reason to run that extra HP on Skuntank - such a small investment is unlikely to be important and if the bulk isn't significant in any specific case, I would max out speed. This allows you to Pursuit weakened Magmortar and Explode on Timid Magneton before it Subs on you.

There is nothing Primeape should be using Punishment on except Drifblim. Stone Edge is a more powerful option for the Blimp and other Flying-types. Alternatively, you could use Earthquake to avoid Skuntank's Aftermath and hit Qwilfish and Muk for decent damage.

Pinsir should definitely use Stone Edge over Quick Attack or Earthquake. At the moment, you're walled by any and every Flying-type and giving out free switch-ins to Dodrio - NOT a fun thing to do, since that's going to guarantee it a free kill (Quagsire and Drifblim are 2HKOd).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Looks like a solid team but I disagree with Quagsire being a *perfect* counter to the fire types. For one, almost all of them carry HP grass. Sure in the case of Charizard you can beat if it's a DDancer or what not but most special varients will tear you a new one.

For one, Choice specs Charizard doesn't even need to use HP grass as Charizard soundly 2HKO's.

Really, Quagsire is only beating Choice Scarf Typhlosion locked on Eruption.
(42.9% - 50.5%) and only if you are at max.

Really, you want something like specially defensive Walrein (which acts a fantastic wall) sure you lose a reliable Primeabe switch in, but it's easily work arounbable.

A specially defensive Flareon might also work. It beats out special fire type basically and spreads toxic like crazy.

Edit: I figure Raichu is also a threat. It can a run LO set like Manetric (a lot less power obviously) but with the added threat of encore which can stop Driflblim in it's tracks/and or foil a sucker punch variant. Fortunately they are next to none-existant so you need not worry.

But you ARE NP Ninetails so you SHOULD worry. That thing'll cut through your team like hot butter as she outspeeds and soundly OHKO's pretty much everyone on this team save Primeape. It's also bulky enough to take a sucker punch so you aren't getting rid of it that easily.

Thanks for the suggestions both, added Ninetales to the threat list. And will test these suggestions later today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)