Drilbur** [QC: 1/3]

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yo briyella, gimme dis OP plz ♥

Overview
########
- Drilbur's main niche is being one of the few viable Rapid Spinners in Little Cup.
-also uses SR which is a good niche. both SR+rapid spin access is cool.
- To back this up it has a good Attack stat and access to Swords Dance to make it threatening on the physical side.
- It also has Mold Breaker which allows it to hit levitating Pokemon with Earthquake and to OHKO Pokemon with Sturdy.

Support
########
name: Support
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rapid Spin / Swords Dance
move 3: Rock Slide
move 4: Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
ability: Mold Breaker
item: Eviolite
evs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========

- Rapid Spin is the most important move in the set as Drilbur is one of the few Pokemon who can use it well.
-Earthquake is a strong reliable STAB, that can hit levitating threats due to Mold Breaker. This is great for Misdreavus as it means it can't spinblock as well.
-Rock Slide is important to provide coverage on Flying-types, such as Murkrow, Archen or Fletchling.
-Stealth Rock is a good option if your team needs it. Drilbur has the ability to beat common Defog users such as Vullaby or Archen with Rock Slide
-Swords Dance allows Drilbur to sweep if it gets an opportunity as not many Pokemon can switch into a +2 Mold Breaker Earthquake.

Set Details
========

-Eviolite is the preferred item as that allows it to take a hit from Life Orb Murkrow and +2 Misdreavus.
-Maximising Speed and Attack allows Drilbur to be as much of an offensive presence as possible.
-Jolly is the preferred nature to outspeed Jolly Pawniard, Jolly Meditite and Jolly Dwebble.
-Mold Breaker allows it to beat Dwebble if you run Swords Dance and also prevents Tirtouga setting up on you. It also allows you to beat traditional Ground-type walls such as Bronzor and Koffing, and hit Misdreavus with Earthquake.
-BJ can be used but is often OHKOd cos frail. LO lets you ohko non evio missy and is great if you're using SD.

Usage Tips
========

-Due to its frailty and bad defensive typing, it doesn't wall an awful lot of Pokemon, so it often finds it hard to switch in.
-If you can get it in against something it threatens, such as Magnemite, it can often force a switch allowing you to set up, use Rapid Spin or attack with Earthquake.
-Drilbur often works as a lead with Stealth Rock and if you run Swords Dance it works extremely well against Dwebble leads.

Team Options
========

-Pokemon that appreciate the removal of entry hazards like having Drilbur on a team. Examples include Larvesta and Murkrow.
-Drilbur likes Pokemon that can switch into Water- or Grass-type attacks, such as Foongus, Ferroseed or Ponyta.
-If you struggle with Sturdy+Berry Juice users, Drilbur is a good answer, particularly to Magnemite.

Other Options
########

-Sand Rush can be used with support from Hippopotas, but the nerf to sand really hurts it the viability of this set.
-It can also manually set up Sandstorm itself to abuse Sand Rush.
-Poison Jab can also hit Fairy-types, particularly Cottonee, who is a nuisance to Drilbur.
-Drilbur can also run an effective Mold Breaker Choice Scarf set which can sometimes clean late game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Ferroseed, Lileep, Cottonee, Shroomish and Foongus can usually switch in easily and take it on.
**Bulky Water-types**: Slowpoke and Frillish can easily take a hit and OHKO.
**Faster Pokemon**: Murkrow, Staryu and Choice Scarf users usually have no trouble KOing Drilbur as it's quite frail, and has no recovery which means it can be worn down into KO range easily. Murkrow also has the benefit of being immune to Earthquake.
**Burn Status**: Will-O-Wisp from Ghost-types that spinblock can hinder to Drilbur. Misdreavus and Frillish are both good examples.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't there be a bulkier spread with Berry Juice? That would give it recovery, letting it set up SR, and come back later to spin / attack.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Although a bulkier set WITH Berry Juice is questionable, a bulkier set with Eviolite may have some merit, but I have yet to test and/or see any damage calculations this generation involving it. Just a quick note/argument, I'd say put Swords Dance as the second slash onto Rapid Spin as well, as although it is one of the few users of it in the tier, not every team needs or wants Rapid Spin more than Swords Dance + Stealth Rock (and EQ + RS for that matter). Teams that don't care about Rapid Spin could be teams with a lot of Regenerator and/or SR neutral or resistant Pokemon. Although that order would look a bit odd, that's probably an alright order of the set in my opinion. If you do that, change the set name to "Support" as you would still have either Rapid Spin or Stealth Rock to support the team with.

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah the bulky set with Berry Juice might be bad, but it sucks to use this (Eviolite) spread and get KO'd by Chinchou's Scald + burn damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)