SM OU Drill Gang Offence

Oculars

THE SHEIKH OF SHAMONE
is a Tiering Contributor
Drill Gang

Since my last rmt was a while ago and fairly
trash I decided to post a much better team that works against a wider variety of playstyles.

The Members
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

The first member of the team, usually played early in the game to deal massive damage to almost anything that wants to switch in, I believe specs lele is one of the scariest mon in the tier as switch ins are very rare and typically don’t have reliable recovery and can be chipped away at, psychic and moonblast are standard, Hp fire is for Scizor and ferro and focus blast catches Heatran, ttar and drill.

Magearna @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Serious Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Arguably the second best member of the team Magearna can almost always live a super effective hit and end up at +3 attack +2 spe +2 spa after a shift gear almost guaranteeing a sweep fluer cannon is standard, thunderbolt is because the team struggles with Celesteela and iron head is to combat AV mage or AV and can 1v1 Chansey at +3 if you have enough HP left, mage really appreciates psychic terrain as it is usually in priority range after eating a hp fire or non stab eq. Oddly I chose serious nature as both defences and attacks are important and shift gear needs to outspeed timid mega zam. Decided to add 56 HP evs for a little bit more bulk since you’re trying to take super effective hits

Greninja-Ash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Cannon

Typically I’d run specs on greninja but since Grens job is more to ensure chip on threats early game and generally cause chaos and break teams apart I have no problem losing it for chip early game to help drill or hawlucha sweep, u turn is for momentum since gren forces switches frequently and z water into hydro cannon is great for wall breaking against stall. Dark pulse is generic stab and shuriken is a bit of chip on just about anything and really helps with Lucha or drill sweeping.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 160 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Special bulky tar is nice on this team as as it’s typically lando weak and protect ferro is annoying, fire blast is for steels, ice beam for lando chomp and dnite and the nice bulk ensures we can usually get rocks up, pursuit helps break regen spam cores and traps annoying mons like blacephalon and physical victini. Switching in on Heatran can usually bluff earthquake and force a switch and you can bluff stone edge on most flying types as well. Smooth rock ensures drill gets more turns under sand to sweep.

Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hawlucha is fairly standard, max speed for other hawluchas and scarf gren, HJK and acrobatics are typical stabs and roost over jab or stone edge to ensure longevity especially against moms like protect ferrothorn and the odd protect Heatran. Swords dance over bulk up as hawluchas bulk is mediocre to begin with and you typically want to only spend one turn setting up against more offensive teams.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

The real star of the team, excadrill should typically come in after ttar dies or off a double, adamant life orb hits like a truck after swords dance, iron head and earthquake are necessary stabs and rock slide is specifically for zapdos which causes problems to the team due to ttars lack of stone edge. Having psychic terrain up is preferable since drill is weak to water shuriken from gren and Mach punch from conkeldurr and Breloom. There are very few mons that force out drill and it can outspeed and Ohko most mons in the tier after rocks at +2. I chose life orb over Z steel as Z is typically used for lando which I have no problem getting chip on with rocks or water shuriken. Adamant over jolly as excadrill outspeed all Scarfers slower than torn under sand anyways which is fast enough for me.

Play style
There are several keys to playing this team the first is to keep momentum and get chip on multiple Mons early, rocks are very valuable. Getting predictions right early and aggressive doubles makes most teams unable to deal with a sweep from either lucha or drill. Bluffs are key especially in high ladder. Bluff earthquake/stone edge on ttar and scarf on lele. use grens z early to hopefully remove a Mon from the game and help with sweeping. Most games will be done win or lose within 20-30 turns so keep an aggressive play style in mind. Playing against stall requires good play, balance / Bulky offence is about an even matchup and you should be able to run over HO with this team.

Threat List
Celesteela can be annoying throwing leech seed and protect off at everything especially if it’s a defence boosting variant (why does it get leech seed anyways?) so try to deal with this using magearnas thunderbolt or fire blast from ttar. Hawlucha can typically get to +4 against Celesteela since players like to throw off protects trying to catch HJK

Haze Toxapex is annoying for almost every team, and can 1v1 Lucha if it gets a scald burn. Take care of pex using drill or pursuit it when it’s low and trying to switch out.

Unaware mons:
Clefable can get rekt by unboosted iron head from drill and grens z move can take care of it too
Quagsire is annoying but also gets beat by waterium z into hydro cannon especially if gren is already in ash form. Sometimes you will have to sack a mon to beat this thing since most of the team relies on boosting moves

Lando is the most common mon in the tier. The way to beat scarf lando is by getting chip on it or catching it with an ice beam from ttar on the switch. Hawlucha can also take care of it when attempting a sweep.

Other hawlucha can speed tie if it’s also adamant and max speed. And can easily stop your sweep and KO the rest of your team If you’re worried about this run jolly over adamant.

Scouting is bad for this team since some of the sets are unorthodox so if you bring this to a tour don’t get scouted and cteamed.

U have gigantic Problems against Jolly excadrill(under sand) and a well played shift gear magearnas.

I would recommend running a timmid Ash greninja since the only Physicall move your greninja uses is U-turn, which is used for utillity not for Damage Output.

Furhtermore I do not think that u need iron head on magearna since choice specs tapu lele enough to lure in and weaken AV Magearna.
The calcs
+1 0 Atk Magearna Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 109-130 (30 - 35.8%) -- 38.5% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Psychic Terrain: 130-153 (35.8 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Greninja Hydro Vortex (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 124-147 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

As Ucan see Magearna allready greatly benefits from ur other special attakcer chipping down it's av counterpart.

Ur team is really weak against choice scarf kartana which revengekills ur magearna with a little bit of prior chip
straight up KO's Tapu lele, Tyranitar and ash greninja, ur best way to deal with it is to sack tapu lele and then switch in with Hawlucha.
It beats ur drill 1v1 etc. The same is true for Jolly sandrush excadrill.
The calcs:
252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 468-552 (115.8 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 350-414 (86.6 - 102.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 372-440 (132.3 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 372-440 (132.3 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I would recommend running the standard Greninja set as Waterium Z doesn't help it to beat it's checks like toxapex which wals ur set for days and can set up t-spikes and to use Elektrium Z magearna to break toxapex which otherwise stops ur magearna sweep. Use Modest magearna instead of serious magearna to 1 hit KO Celestella with electrium z after rocks.

252+ SpA Magearna Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Celesteela: 306-360 (77 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last but not least ur team gets#s beaten up by stall with chansey and loses to scarfed kartana one of the most common pokemon.

May I ask how many points U scored with this team?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)