Dual Weather First Team

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Intro:
This, while not being my first team, is my first team I have enough confidence to post here. The idea is to mess around with two different weather setters, and slowly open up for a charizard-Y/Tyranitar Sweep. All the nicknames are based off, in my opinion, the best Team Fortress 2 team ever, season 12 Classic Mixup, for those who are curious.

Overview:

Analysis:

Harbleu (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 236 HP / 52 SAtk / 220 SDef
IVs: 0 Spe / 0 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

This penguin was how I started my team. I knew I wanted to use him because of his great typing, which includes x4 resistance to ice, x2 to water, dragon, fairy, and neutral to fire, most notably. It also has resistance to rocks, along with access to Defog. I added scald to compliment his nice special bulk, and ice beam for specially based dragons, e.g. Latios/Goodra

The EVs hit a leftovers number, enough SAtk for more than a 50% chance to 2HKO standard Latios, and the rest into SDef. Sassy nature and 0 Spe to ensure I get the slowest possible defog, and 0 IVs in Atk against foul play users.

Something I could change would be to run Defiant, to scare people into thinking I'm running a physical move when I switch in to defog a sticky web, but I don't think it would be worth the extra power. Thoughts?

Pyyyour (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Earthquake

This, along with Empoleon, creates my resistance core. Gliscor resists or is immune to ground, electric, and fighting, while empoleon resists ice and water. This standard set hasn't let me down, toxicing everything, stalling out, and sub/protecting. I can send it out against almost any physical attacker, even surviving a few ice punches from a 'mon here and there. Surprisingly, not many people seem to think gliscors carry earthquake, but it's always nice to OHKO a random heatran now and then.

The EVs are the standard from gen 5, but reviewing them never hurts. Toxic Boost, outspeeding lando-t and modest/adamant lucario to possibly OHKO with earthquake

Enigma (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 196 SDef / 44 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-'o-Wisp

The oh-so-generic Rotom-Wash. It is generic because it works, simple as that. Switch out, cripple with WoW, or hydro pump and deal great damage with great neutral coverage. I run it specially defensive, with will-'o-wisp for physical attackers. It also lures out grass moves, giving a normally frail charizard a nice switch-in chance.

Rotom-w, curiously, can run 252 EVs in HP and get a leftover number, if I'm not mistaken. 28 SAtk gives its hydro pump enough oomph to OHKO standard Gliscor, who might switch in on a predicted volt switch. The rest of my EVs go into special bulk. 44 Spe is to move before Jolly Azumarill. 0 Atk IVs are to reduce foul play damage.

I rarely use pain split, might I consider swapping it for something along the lines of t-wave/HP ice?

TLR (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 84 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

My first weather settler is a bulky Tyranitar. With the assault vest, it can pursuit while being incredibly bulky. He is also my Char-Y answer, if I let Megazard MeVo first. I can switch in next turn, resisting anything he fires off except focus blast, which is a 2HKO in sand. I can send him in against ghosts, darks, and flying types, and he'll work wonders. Pursuit works wonders against frail ghosts and psychics, and can do nice damage to anything thinking of volt-switching or u-tuning to safety. Ice punch, as suggested by BlackyXD, hits dragons and grass types for super, as well as any gliscor/Lando that tries to switch in.

The EV spread is primarily for offense, and then for special bulk second. In sand with an assault vest, the HP and SDef are equal, which, I'm pretty sure, gives me the most special bulk possible

I've messed around with leftovers/DDance instead of AV/Pursuit, but I like this set better. Any ideas?

Platinum (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solarbeam
- Focus Blast
- Air Slash

My second settler might seem a bit weird at first, noting that I have 2 water types on my team. It's not perfect synergy, I know, but I rarely find myself scalding/hydro pumping very often. This guy is just too good, and I need a special sweeper. He just rips through everything, and can even 2HKO a few 'mons that resist. Flamethrower and Air Slash are my obligatory STABs, with solarbeam covering water, rock, and ground, and Focus Blast hitting bisharp, tyranitar out-of-sun, and heatran hard.

Standard sweeping EV spread, with 0 IVs in Atk for foul play damage. I don't know how to hit stealth rock numbers, and would be more than happy to hear how to do so.

Air slash seems nice for hitting fighting, but Focus Blast/D-pulse might be better options. Once again, I'd like an opinion or two on it.

Ruwin (Chandelure) @Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 240 SAtk / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Trick

I know what you're thinking. "A Chandelure without a fire STAB? Are you crazy?" The thing is, chandelure is more of my fighting counter (yes, that is why I have psychic), and Charizard can take care of any fire-weak 'mons. I am now running Fire blast, as most of the things I'm not hitting with shadow ball are fire weak/I shouldn't be fighting in the first place. I also run trick to cripple utility. He can also force switches with flash fire, because the opponent doesn't want to deal with a flash fire, sun boosted fire blast (understandably).

The EV spread is for maximum sweeping ability, with the choice scarf allowing chandelure to beat invested Tornandus-T, and anything slower than base 121. The IV spread guarantees minimal foul play damage. I would like to know how to hit a stealth rock number with him, so comments would be appreciated! With the new EV spread, he can switch into rocks 5 times, and gets almost-perfect leftover percentage (one of the most common things he tricks onto himself)

Defensive Coverage:
Empoleon: Covers Normal, Water, Flying, Immune to Poison, Rock, Bug, X4 Steel, psychic, X4 Ice, Dragon, Fairy
Weak to Fighting, Electric, Ground

Gliscor: Covers Fighting, Poison, Immune to Ground, Bug, Electric
Weak to X4 Ice, Water (Unless sun it up)

Rotom-W: Covers Flying, X4 Steel, Fire, X4 Water, Ice
Weak to Grass, Ground+Mold Breaker (Haxorus, Excadrill most notably)

Tyranitar: Covers Normal, Flying, Poison, Ghost, Fire, Immune to Psychic, Dark
Weak to 4X Fighting, Ground, Bug, Steel, Water, Grass, Fairy

Charizard: Covers Fighting, Immune to ground, X4 Bug, Steel, Fire, X4 Grass
Weak to X4 Rock, Water (Unless sun is up), Electric

Chandelure: Covers Immune to Normal, Immune to Fighting, Poison, X4 Bug, Steel, Immune to Fire, Grass, Ice, Fairy
Weak to Ground, Rock, Ghost, Water (Unless Sun is up), Dark

Thanks for sticking with me all the way through this! Please, comment, critique, point out formatting errors, whatever!

Last edited:
I don't think you need those extra special attack Evs on rotom to OHKO gilscor as you can still oHko it with hydro pump.

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 314-372 (88.7 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 314-372 (88.7 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO.

Also I recommend keeping pain split as it is a great form of recovery with some nice weakening of your opponent if you use it at the right time.

For tyarintar you also could switch out crunch or stone edge for ice punch to take care of those pesky dragons/grass types,so you don't have to weaken Empoleon by having him switch into a grass type move.

For charizard you could play around with replacing air slash with dragon pulse because even though you lose the stab it, it hits a lot more types neutrally.(it works for some)

Finally for chandelure I really think fire blast would work better maybe even replacing it with trick if you would not mind losing the utility trick brings. As fireblast gives you a powerful attack with the sun from charizard up.

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
I don't think you need those extra special attack Evs on rotom to OHKO gilscor as you can still oHko it with hydro pump.

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 314-372 (88.7 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 314-372 (88.7 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO.

Also I recommend keeping pain split as it is a great form of recovery with some nice weakening of your opponent if you use it at the right time.

For tyarintar you also could switch out crunch or stone edge for ice punch to take care of those pesky dragons/grass types,so you don't have to weaken Empoleon by having him switch into a grass type move.

For charizard you could play around with replacing air slash with dragon pulse because even though you lose the stab it, it hits a lot more types neutrally.(it works for some)

Finally for chandelure I really think fire blast would work better maybe even replacing it with trick if you would not mind losing the utility trick brings. As fireblast gives you a powerful attack with the sun from charizard up.
For the rotom, the EVs guarantee more than 50% chance of OHKO before rocks, so I think I'll keep them there
For the tyranitar, I swapped out crunch for ice punch (most things that would get hit superly would probably switch out at a T-tar, letting me pursuit them)
Chandelure's trick is just too useful to not use. Blissey/chansey, scolipede/ninjask/combusken, gliscor, any stealth rocker, sableye, the list goes on :p
And, what would charizard hit for neutral with d-pulse that flying doesn't? Instead of 1 resist and 1 immunity, flying has 3 resists. It seems like pretty good coverage to me. For now, I'll stick with air slash

Last edited:
You can probably guess who this is by the profile picture.
Anyways, I think Y-zard should have a coverage move instead of Roost because its weaknesses are rather common and easily exploitable, plus its meant to be a glass cannon anyways. And the Edgequake combo will screw around with two-thirds of your team, so be on the lookout for any physical attackers like that.

Btw, thats a nice twist on Chandelure.

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
You can probably guess who this is by the profile picture.
Anyways, I think Y-zard should have a coverage move instead of Roost because its weaknesses are rather common and easily exploitable, plus its meant to be a glass cannon anyways. And the Edgequake combo will screw around with two-thirds of your team, so be on the lookout for any physical attackers like that.

Btw, thats a nice twist on Chandelure.
My Yzard more often needs recovery on forced switches than extra coverage. It often lets him switch into SR again, or take another priority move, and OHKO/2HKO in return. With air slash, I can hit pretty much everything barring heatran, and I have gliscor, empoleon, and tyranitar to deal with him, but T-tar's more afraid of taking a WoW than the other two.
As for edgequake, that is a problem, but both gliscor and rotom-w (with WoW) can come in and tank the hits like their is no tomorrow, and usually punish.

Also, if we discuss the team here, providing a solution to the issue you present (e.g. edgequake weakness) is appreciated

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
Using my bump to state a few things:
Re-formatted a little
changed a few EVs here and there
Switched roost to focus blast on zardY, because heatrans are getting annoying
switched hidden power fighting for fire blast on chandelure

A 'mon that gives me a fair bit of trouble in conkeldurr, and thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)