ORAS NU Early Halloween! (Gourgiest Defensive Team)

(I'm terrible at describing teams, dunt h8 me pls)

Hey guys! It's me, DaRizzleTheMan, and today are here with a nice and defensive NU team based around Gourgiest-Super, which I built with my friend Frickettt, mainly because I wanted a fun team to abuse tournaments with, even though Stall isn't that great in NU atm, I just wanted to build a team around a fascinating pokemon which caught my interest when I read the likes of Punchshroom talking about it in the Viability rankings. Right, here we go:

Teambuilding Process:

+

This is the core I originally wanted to build around, however it struggles vs. Ice types and Archeops with Aqua Tail, so that was what we had to deal with.
+

After a little bit of thinking, we decided to drop Rhydon for Regirock, because Regirock can cope vs Archeops (unless it is the extraordinarily rare Focus Blast Archeops), and can be a slightly better way to deal with Ice types. However, this core still had it's weaknesses, such as the likes of Samurott, which we looked over next.
+
+

Lanturn can deal with the likes of Samurott and Aurorus (although Freeze Dry hurts if it's specs) a little bit better, and it provides Heal Bell, which can relieve Regirock and Gourgiest of Toxic, which is a nuisance for them. Next of all, we were thinking of a better way of dealing with Poison types, especially Vileplume, as we could not touch them.

+
+
+

CM Mesprit can deal with Poison types who gives this team so far a lot of issues, and also gives us a win condition, and can hit Fighting types too! Yaaay.... Now, our next issue was dealing with Dark types, and we are also worried that hazard stack could cripple this team. But, we decided to do some playtesting first before we make any changes. Onto the next mon!

+
+
+
+

CM Mega Audino can wall Dark types for days, and also pass Wishes around to help restore the longevity of the walls, as none of them really have much good recovery. Mega Audino can beat the likes of Gurdurr and Shiftry, especially since Shiftry is a bloody massive threat to the team, and Mega Audino can deal with it, although cannot switch into many Leaf Storms without Wishing up. We also wanted a better way to deal with Archeops, which Mega Audino could deal with nicely. Finally, we wanted a way to deal with opposing CroDino without CM wars with Mesprit. Onto the final pokemon!

+
+
+
+
+

Taunt Weezing shuts down Mega Audino (unless it's lure w/ Psychic) ngl. Fucking walls it, it can't do anything, you can hit it with Sludge Bomb or something, idk. We decided to make one small tweak to this team, stay tuned to find out!

+
+
+
+
+

After a little bit of playtesting, we found out this team was extremely bollocked by hazard stack, so we swapped CM Mesprit for CM Xatu instead!

Now, onto the sets of the final 6!

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect

Standard CM Mega Audino, enough spatk to 3hko RestTalk Malamar, and enough speed to creep the 50's that it rests in. Rest of the stats go into HP and Defense. Wish is there to heal up the teammates, as all of the others (apart from Xatu) lack reliable recovery. It is our best Dark stop and is a brilliant pokemon in NU atm, I think it's easily S rank (pls don't argue about that in comments).

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 248 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Enough speed to creep uninvested Malamar, rest is placed into Defense and HP, and Taunt means this is our best Mega Audino stop. It can burn shit, which is always nice! This is our main Fairy stop too!

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

This gives us the ability to deal with Samurott quite happily, and it can Heal away status that hurt this team. Lanturn's spread is very standard, Leftovers number, jump point in SpDef, outspeeding Adamant RP Rhydon, etc etc. Lanturn is our backup Ground stop and main Water counter, as well as another Fire check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

The star of the show! Gourgiest can burn shit, use Foul Play can nuke SD Samurott, because it can run Lum, so Will O might not be so effective, and it can Leech Seed and Synthesis and stuff. It is our secondary Water stop and our main Fighting type switch in, although I am scared of Knock Off from Sawk, so considering swapping Leftovers for Colbour.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave

Xatu is one of our win conditions, and it provides our stop to Hazard Stack, which fucks us over without it, yaay! Xatu also pisses with Ferroseed without taking too much damage itself, and is our poison stop.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 242 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Rock can creep other 50's have enough def to live a Adamant Banded Sawk's CC, and it's our main Fire and Flying stop. It's attack is to generally give it some damage output, and the rest is shared onto Attack and Defense.

Threats:
Lilligant is a problem if it sets up, can be beaten by Weezing if something is asleep
Magmortar is a problem depending on the set
NP Jynx fucks us hard if it sets up, if not it's easier to deal with
A well played Sawk is a bastard to deal with generally
Zangoose can be a bugger if Regi is weakend, as well as Kanga and stuff.
There are many more but I'm not good enough to know right now, I would love to know what I missed ;P

Importable:
Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 212 Def / 48 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 208 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Heat Wave

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 242 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 196 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake

Enjooooooy! -DaRizzleTheMan

hey bro,

Really nice balance/stall squad you have here. You have a switchin for everything in the meta, which is key for any team to be successful. I also like how you keep your own mega walls healthy (regirock, weezing, lanturn etc) by using a wish cm audino rather than standard crodino. Onto looking at the team, and there is really no leeway for change imho. Nothing on this team can be swapped out in order to make it more effective. Personally however, i feel like having 3 fighting type checks is a bit much for my own liking. Gourgeist + Colbur Xatu can easily handle the main bulk of fighters in this tier, so my suggestion is a more objective change that i feel will enhance how this team performs on a game by game basis. It will also give more oppurtuinity for the mon you built around, Gourgeist, to shine.

My suggestion is Defensive Spiker Garbodor > Weezing. At the moment, i feel like your team is stalling for the sake of stalling sake here. Stealth Rocks are cool for getting some nice residual damage, but Spikes not only allow you to weaken opponents faster, but put pressure on them to defog and remove any hazards they accumulated on your side. This change is overall designed to increase the efficiency of the limited pokemon slots you have on your team, whilst increase the effectiveness. Something else i also had in my mind when deciding to swap out weezing is that, we all know Stall is naturally weak to Toxic Spikes, and if your opponent manages to get a layer up (maybe xatu died, or is weak), it could spell huge trouble for your team. Since that extra 12% per turn is difficult to fight against and plays right into the opponents hands. Garbodor is a tspike absorber however, so if tspikes do get layed whilst xatu is weak or dead, you can handedly get rid of them thanks to garbodor the grounded poison. Its also a more reliable mega audino check than weezing, thanks to physical poison attacks rather than having to deal with boosted spdef stats. Malamar may get free here, however, Gourgeist is a good enough check for it, since it can beat it 1v1 thanks to leech seed +wisp and the utility of spikes + tspikes themselves is too good to pass up on.

would also reccomend Toxic > Protect on Lanturn so you arent as weak as you are currently to Barrier + CM Musharna, once you get that Toxic off, it basically neutralises it to an extent. You would only need to keep Lanturn around if the opponent has some kinda aromatherapy on their team.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

best of luck in the future!
~H to the J to the A to the D, ma g

Last edited:
hey bro,

Really nice balance/stall squad you have here. You have a switchin for everything in the meta, which is key for any team to be successful. I also like how you keep your own mega walls healthy (regirock, weezing, lanturn etc) by using a wish cm audino rather than standard crodino. Onto looking at the team, and there is really no leeway for change imho. Nothing on this team can be swapped out in order to make it more effective. Personally however, i feel like having 3 fighting type checks is a bit much for my own liking. Gourgeist + Colbur Xatu can easily handle the main bulk of fighters in this tier, so my suggestion is a more objective change that i feel will enhance how this team performs on a game by game basis. It will also give more oppurtuinity for the mon you built around, Gourgeist, to shine.

My suggestion is Defensive Spiker Garbodor > Weezing. At the moment, i feel like your team is stalling for the sake of stalling sake here. Stealth Rocks are cool for getting some nice residual damage, but Spikes not only allow you to weaken opponents faster, but put pressure on them to defog and remove any hazards they accumulated on your side. This change is overall designed to increase the efficiency of the limited pokemon slots you have on your team, whilst increase the effectiveness. Something else i also had in my mind when deciding to swap out weezing is that, we all know Stall is naturally weak to Toxic Spikes, and if your opponent manages to get a layer up (maybe xatu died, or is weak), it could spell huge trouble for your team. Since that extra 12% per turn is difficult to fight against and plays right into the opponents hands. Garbodor is a tspike absorber however, so if tspikes do get layed whilst xatu is weak or dead, you can handedly get rid of them thanks to garbodor the grounded poison. Its also a more reliable mega audino check than weezing, thanks to physical poison attacks rather than having to deal with boosted spdef stats. Malamar may get free here, however, Gourgeist is a good enough check for it, since it can beat it 1v1 thanks to leech seed +wisp and the utility of spikes + tspikes themselves is too good to pass up on.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch

best of luck in the future!
~H to the J to the A to the D, ma g
Thanks! :D

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Gourgeist / Regirock / Lanturn / Xatu / Mega Audino / Weezing

Hey DaRizzleMyShizzle this looks like a great team, even though I usually hate using stall. One of the first problems I see with the team is that you have a weakness to Toxic Spikes / Spikes, since Xatu isn't really reliable for preventing Hazards, as it is easily worn down and lured in. The other weakness I see is to opposing Calm Mind Psychic Types, especially Calm Mind / Barrier Musharna.

In order to fix the weakness to hazard stack in general and opposing Calm Mind Psychic Types, there is one change that is able to fix both of these problems, and it is Defog Skuntank over Weezing. While Defog Skuntank isn't usually that great, it still has its niche and would fit really nicely on this team. If you look at your description for what Weezing accomplishes, you say it "is your main fairy check" and "it stops Mega Audino", both of which Skuntank also handles. The set I'm recommending is Defog / Taunt / Poison Jab / Crunch with a Lum Berry, but if you look at the set below you will see that there are a lot of other moves you can use. Defog allows you to remove Spikes / Rocks, and being a grounded Poison Type it can remove Toxic Spikes as well. While you might be saying "why do I need to run this when I have Xatu", the idea behind it is that Xatu is lured in by stuff like Max Attack Garbodor that easily 2HKOs with Gunk Shot and then can set up spikes / toxic spikes on the rest of your team.

Other small changes I would be changing the Gourgeist spread to 240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpDef / 8 Spe, this spread allows you to check Tauros as you aren't even 2HKOd by Life Orb Tauros's Fire Blast which could be a problem if Regirock is weakened. Also I would agree with the change to Colbur Berry from Leftovers, as you can check Fighting Types and Dark Types like Skuntak easier. The other change I would consider is Giga Drain over Heat Wave on Xatu, as with the removal of Weezing you have a much harder matchup against Qaugsire if Gourgeist is weakened. Also I don't really feel Heat Wave is that necessary, as Ferroseed is set up bait for Xatu anyway, and you have Gourgeist / Lanturn to handle every Steel Type in the tier anyway.

Overall really solid team that does a great job of checking almost every big threat in the meta n_n

set(s):

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 224 Atk / 168 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Crunch / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Defog

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-stage-8-dream-at-tempo-119.3545983/#post-6359731 read that for an explanation of the spread, but I added on some extra speed in order to combat 0 Speed Xatu trying to escape Pursuit. Lum Berry is used to help check Lilligant, which could be another big problem for your team (thanks Montsegur)
On to the move set, first going over the team I liked Crunch and Taunt in the first two slots, but going over the team again with Montsegur is that Sucker Punch and Pursuit are also really helpful for narrowing down your Threat List, so the moveset really is up to you and what you feel works best in testing. I'll just explain what each of the moves can be useful for:

Taunt: Taunt makes sure you are able to check Calm Mind Psychic Types like Musharna, which could otherwise try and PP stall you, and it also helps against Mega Audino as it can't Calm Mind up or recover its health.

Crunch: Crunch allows you to deal a lot more damage on Psychic and Ghost Types that try and stay in against Skuntank predicting the Pursuit, and it is also really good for guaranteed damage, as both Pursuit and Sucker Punch are unreliable at times. It does lose out on any utility though, as both Pursuit and Sucker Punch have very useful niches that Crunch can't.

Sucker Punch: Sucker Punch is useful for taking out faster threats like Nasty Plot Jynx, Sawk in order to break its Sturdy, and other fast mons in general. Sucker Punch is also unreliable at times, as the opposing mon can just choose not to attack or just switch out, especially if you don't have Taunt / Pursuit.

Pursuit: Pursuit is useful for Psychic and Ghost types that are forced to switch out as most of them can't touch Skuntank (Barrier Musharna for example), but the problem is Pursuit is very weak if they stay in, or if they under speed you and go for a move like Baton Pass or U-Turn, which doesn't let pursuit trap it.

Overall the move choice is up to you, but personally I would recommend Crunch / Taunt, but trying the other options out is something you should do.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp

- Foul Play

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain
TLDR:
>

240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpD / 4 Spe >
232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Giga Drain > Heat Wave

Last edited:
Gourgeist / Regirock / Lanturn / Xatu / Mega Audino / Weezing

Hey DaRizzleMyShizzle this looks like a great team, even though I usually hate using stall. One of the first problems I see with the team is that you have a weakness to Toxic Spikes / Spikes, since Xatu isn't really reliable for preventing Hazards, as it is easily worn down and lured in. The other weakness I see is to opposing Calm Mind Psychic Types, especially Calm Mind / Barrier Musharna.

In order to fix the weakness to hazard stack in general and opposing Calm Mind Psychic Types, there is one change that is able to fix both of these problems, and it is Defog Skuntank over Weezing. While Defog Skuntank isn't usually that great, it still has its niche and would fit really nicely on this team. If you look at your description for what Weezing accomplishes, you say it "is your main fairy check" and "it stops Mega Audino", both of which Skuntank also handles. The set I'm recommending is Defog / Taunt / Poison Jab / Crunch with a Lum Berry, but if you look at the set below you will see that there are a lot of other moves you can use. Defog allows you to remove Spikes / Rocks, and being a grounded Poison Type it can remove Toxic Spikes as well. While you might be saying "why do I need to run this when I have Xatu", the idea behind it is that Xatu is lured in by stuff like Max Attack Garbodor that easily 2HKOs with Gunk Shot and then can set up spikes / toxic spikes on the rest of your team.

Other small changes I would be changing the Gourgeist spread to 240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpDef / 8 Spe, this spread allows you to check Tauros as you aren't even 2HKOd by Life Orb Tauros's Fire Blast which could be a problem if Regirock is weakened. Also I would agree with the change to Colbur Berry from Leftovers, as you can check Fighting Types and Dark Types like Skuntak easier. The other change I would consider is Giga Drain over Heat Wave on Xatu, as with the removal of Weezing you have a much harder matchup against Qaugsire if Gourgeist is weakened. Also I don't really feel Heat Wave is that necessary, as Ferroseed is set up bait for Xatu anyway, and you have Gourgeist / Lanturn to handle every Steel Type in the tier anyway.

Overall really solid team that does a great job of checking almost every big threat in the meta n_n

set(s):

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 224 Atk / 168 SpD / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Crunch / Sucker Punch / Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Defog

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/np-stage-8-dream-at-tempo-119.3545983/#post-6359731 read that for an explanation of the spread, but I added on some extra speed in order to combat 0 Speed Xatu trying to escape Pursuit. Lum Berry is used to help check Lilligant, which could be another big problem for your team (thanks Montsegur)
On to the move set, first going over the team I liked Crunch and Taunt in the first two slots, but going over the team again with Montsegur is that Sucker Punch and Pursuit are also really helpful for narrowing down your Threat List, so the moveset really is up to you and what you feel works best in testing. I'll just explain what each of the moves can be useful for:

Taunt: Taunt makes sure you are able to check Calm Mind Psychic Types like Musharna, which could otherwise try and PP stall you, and it also helps against Mega Audino as it can't Calm Mind up or recover its health.

Crunch: Crunch allows you to deal a lot more damage on Psychic and Ghost Types that try and stay in against Skuntank predicting the Pursuit, and it is also really good for guaranteed damage, as both Pursuit and Sucker Punch are unreliable at times. It does lose out on any utility though, as both Pursuit and Sucker Punch have very useful niches that Crunch can't.

Sucker Punch: Sucker Punch is useful for taking out faster threats like Nasty Plot Jynx, Sawk in order to break its Sturdy, and other fast mons in general. Sucker Punch is also unreliable at times, as the opposing mon can just choose not to attack or just switch out, especially if you don't have Taunt / Pursuit.

Pursuit: Pursuit is useful for Psychic and Ghost types that are forced to switch out as most of them can't touch Skuntank (Barrier Musharna for example), but the problem is Pursuit is very weak if they stay in, or if they under speed you and go for a move like Baton Pass or U-Turn, which doesn't let pursuit trap it.

Overall the move choice is up to you, but personally I would recommend Crunch / Taunt, but trying the other options out is something you should do.

Gourgeist-Super @ Colbur Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp

- Foul Play

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Giga Drain
TLDR:
>

240 HP / 156 Def / 108 SpD / 4 Spe >
232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Giga Drain > Heat Wave
Thanks! Will try those out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)