Emboar Discussion Thread

Emboar
HP: 110
ATK: 123
DEF: 65
SATK: 100
SDEF: 65
SPEED: 65​

Once you look at Emboar's moveset and his stats it may be pretty obvious to you that he is a Mixed Trick Room sweeper. This sets him apart from Blaziken and Infernape and a few of the other fire types out there. He also has a pretty strange and interesting movepool, but he cannot really do much with it.

Physical Trick Room
Emboar @Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake/Stone Edge
IVs: 0 Speed
Nature: Brave
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef

Hammer Arm allows Emboar to become "faster" in a trickroom and is a pretty strong fighting move. His other options are Superpower and Brick Break, both of which aren't really good choices for this set.

Special Trick Room
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/Solarbeam
- Scald
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 Hp/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef

Emboar is the only fire type pokemon to learn a water move, which not only surprises a few people but also helps deal with other Fire types. Grass Knot and Solarbeam depend on weather (pun) or not you are in a Sun Team.

Mixed Trick Room
Abilty: Blaze
- Scald/Focus Blast
- Flare Blitz
- Grass Knot/Solarbeam
- Wild Charge
Nature: Brave/Quiet
EVs: 252 Hp/152 Atk/104 SpAtk

Being the only Fire type pokemon to get a water type move, and a useful one at that, it is smart to utilize it. Scald burns your opponent and can be used to cover other Fire types. If you are running a Sun team it would be advised that you run Solarbeam over Grass Knot and Focus Blast over Scald.

Flame Charge Emboar
- Flame Charge
- Brick Break
- Wild Charge
- Earthquake
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 40 Hp/252 Atk/216 Spe

This set has its ups and is downs. On the upside you don't have to run him in a trick room team, and with 216 Speed and Jolly after one Flame Charge you outspeed base 115's. This covers up Emboar's big problem of being slower than things it can usually OHKO. On the downside Emboar doesn't have Close Combat or Drain Punch so in terms of physical fighting moves that don't hinder him, he is lacking. Brick Break can break through Screens though.

In conclusion Emboar is very interesting and is slightly different than other fire types, either it be as a Flame Charge sweeper or a Trick Room one.

(I made a complete revision to this post after reading the first 20 replies to this thread. Thank you for making it presentable!)

I have used a Swords Dance Heracross to defeat an Emboar before. It was amazingly fun. The person ragequit.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the shout out. But it would have worked better as a quote rather than as a direct c&p.

Anyway, outside of Trick Room, is Hammer Arm viable or is Superpower completely necessary?

Whats the point of the flame charge set having 0 spd ev's? If you aren't actually going to try and take advantage of the speed boost its completely outclassed flare blitz.
I know you like Emboar a lot, but outside his niche in a trick room, his low defenses 65/65 and appalling speed, 65, have him completely outclassed by other fire types.

breh

強いだね
Whats the point of the flame charge set having 0 spd ev's? If you aren't actually going to try and take advantage of the speed boost its completely outclassed flare blitz.
I know you like Emboar a lot, but outside his niche in a trick room, his low defenses 65/65 and appalling speed, 65, have him completely outclassed by other fire types.
I think the OP thinks taht Base Speed is multiplied, not actual stat.

Anyway, the most convenient stat to run is 219 (outspeeds base 50s and base 100s after Flame Charge), which requires 212 EVs to attain with a neutral nature.

Other outspeed values include (assuming Flame Charge):
244 Jolly: base 120s
216 Jolly: base 115s
188 Jolly: base 110s

I presume simply 212 Adamant is best, as it grants the best attack.

Same advice goes for choice scarf.

You mention what sets him apart from other pokemon and you don't even make use of them on the sets. You should emphasise his fighting STAB which lets him at least hurt bulky waters harder than Arcanine.

Even then, Trick Room is the only time I would consider using him. The fact he has to rely on Superpower, Hammer Arm and Brick Break for fighting STAB just sucks.

You mention what sets him apart from other pokemon and you don't even make use of them on the sets. You should emphasise his fighting STAB which lets him at least hurt bulky waters harder than Arcanine.

Even then, Trick Room is the only time I would consider using him. The fact he has to rely on Superpower, Hammer Arm and Brick Break for fighting STAB just sucks.
Other than the higher Atk stat than Arcanine + they both have Wild Charge, Arcanine's Wild Charge is doing the same damage as Emboar's Superpower to water types..

Look at blaziken before it got speed boost+ Hi Jump Kick base power increase..it was almost the same as emboar with a lil higher speed

Until Reckless is released, i think Trick Room is really the only way to go with it.
With Reckless, CB is obligatory since Emboar is one of the strongest UU pokes around with the ability, while not having crap defenses (but crappy speed instead).

In comparsion with some pokes, Emboar does have something; the power of all it's attacks, i guess. Unlike, say, Darmanitan who only has one real strong attack.
Well... it's something.

Until Reckless is released, i think Trick Room is really the only way to go with it.
With Reckless, CB is obligatory since Emboar is one of the strongest UU pokes around with the ability, while not having crap defenses (but crappy speed instead).

In comparsion with some pokes, Emboar does have something; the power of all it's attacks, i guess. Unlike, say, Darmanitan who only has one real strong attack.
Well... it's something.
Darmanitan has Flare Blitz (Might as well be "∞" BP), Earthquake (100 BP), and Stone Edge (100 BP) alongside the obligatory U-Turn for Scarf sets.

Darmanitan has Flare Blitz (Might as well be "∞" BP), Earthquake (100 BP), and Stone Edge (100 BP) alongside the obligatory U-Turn for Scarf sets.
I'm sure he's well aware of it's physical movepool, Virizion. He even referred to Flare Blitz as Darmanitan's only real strong attack. Which is accurate, Darmanitan can't abuse very many moves with Sheer Force.

Virizion for most pointless-post-of-the-year award!

I'm sure he's well aware of it's physical movepool, Virizion. He even referred to Flare Blitz as Darmanitan's only real strong attack. Which is accurate, Darmanitan can't abuse very many moves with Sheer Force.

He said "only real strong-attack", and you'd have to be a fool if you don't think dual 100-BP moves with great coverage counts as "strong"

You might want to give yourself that award. I don't know how you can argue that Darmanitan is lacking is strong attacks. Even if you're somehow trying to qualify that with only attacks that are boosted by Sheer Force for some reason. Sheer Force Rock Slide is better than Stone Edge, remember. And Superpower wasn't even mentioned yet.

You might want to give yourself that award. I don't know how you can argue that Darmanitan is lacking is strong attacks. Even if you're somehow trying to qualify that with only attacks that are boosted by Sheer Force for some reason. Sheer Force Rock Slide is better than Stone Edge, remember. And Superpower wasn't even mentioned yet.
He said "only real strong-attack", and you'd have to be a fool if you don't think dual 100-BP moves with great coverage counts as "strong"
To be fair, I think M Blade was referring to fighting-STAB on Hammer Arm and Super Power. Outside of U-Turn Emboar gets those same base 100 moves, plus Wild Charge and Emboar's ability to go mixed(Suck it, Darmanitan's base 30 SpA). It's SpA arsenal doesn't even have to be covered, it's damn near impressive. As for Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Superpower, etc. on Darmanitan? Talk about reeking of redundant coverage. The real problem I have is that you had to go and bully M Blade by shredding his opinion by comapring Emboar to an OU Pokémon.

To be fair, I think M Blade was referring to fighting-STAB on Hammer Arm and Super Power. Outside of U-Turn Emboar gets those same base 100 moves, plus Wild Charge and Emboar's ability to go mixed(Suck it, Darmanitan's base 30 SpA). It's SpA arsenal doesn't even have to be covered, it's damn near impressive. As for Flare Blitz, Earthquake, Superpower, etc. on Darmanitan? Talk about reeking of redundant coverage. The real problem I have is that you had to go and bully M Blade by shredding his opinion by comapring Emboar to an OU Pokémon.
He said himself "Unlike, say, Darmanitan, who only has one really strong attack". I did not bring up Darmanitan, I just added that Darmanitan has three other 100+ BP coverage moves. Also, Fighting + Ground is redundant, that's why you use Rock Slide + EQ instead.

As for Darmanitan's super-low SpA, you could always garner "cool-points" by using the terrible Zen Mode lolo

Also, didn't the UU-specific forum rules state to not discuss bad, outclassed Pokémon? I'd rather use Escavalier (I know they're completely different, I'd still rather use Escavalier) until Emboar gets Reckless, only then will he be as good as the OP keeps suggesting.

Yes, Darmanitan has EQ, Superpower, Stone Edge/Sheer Force Rock Slide, and those are strong; , not "real strong" (like Head Smash or STAB on Superpower; those are VERY strong) like i was saying. And i'm not counting Reckless which makes Wild Charge strong (not super strong though).
Let's stop comparing though; sorry if i came up with that.

Anyway, like i said before: mixed TR sweeper is really the only way to go right now; anything else is asking to be outclassed by Arcanine. Until Reckless is released, i hope.

PS: Evoilite Pignite with Curse is a "fine" alternative for Emboar, i guess. 384 hp and over 300 special defense aren't that bad. And it even has a decent attack for a NFE poke...

I made a complete revision to this post after reading the first 20 replies to this thread. Thank you for making it presentable!

As for the stereotypical "outclassed by Arcanine" argument:

Emboar gets Earthquake, Arcanine doesn't
Emboar is bulkier than Arcanine.
Arcanine has Priority, Emboar doesn't
Arcanine is faster than Emboar

And just as an FYI, almost every time I battle in the UU tier on Smogon my opponent uses an Arcanine. My Emboar, even before a Flame Charge boost, can OHKO it or at the very least cause it to switch out. So the whole "Arcanine outclasses Emboar" argument is invalid.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I made a complete revision to this post after reading the first 20 replies to this thread. Thank you for making it presentable!

And just as an FYI, almost every time I battle in the UU tier on Smogon my opponent uses an Arcanine. My Emboar, even before a Flame Charge boost, can OHKO it or at the very least cause it to switch out. So the whole "Arcanine outclasses Emboar" argument is invalid.
Arcanine has Recovery.
Arcanine has Intimidate (technically more bulk than Emboar with it).
Arcanine has FlashFire, so it can be built to actually switch in against Victini.
Arcanine doesn't need Earthquake for coverage.
Arcanine has a better Fighting option in Close Combat than Emboar with Superpower/HammerArm.

Arcanine is just better, honestly.
edit: and stop talking about the fact that you've beaten stuff with flame charge Emboar. That doesn't mean anything. You've faced a player who was somehow worse than you, we get it.

I know Windsong already replied, but I feel the need to point things out too

1: Arcanine gets Close Combat and Morning Sun, two much better moves that I coul think of off the top of my head. I'm sure theres better ones he gets.

2: Arcanine has Intimidate. And he has Morning Sunb to help heal off recoil damage from Flare Blitz. Flash Fire is also a huge help with handling opposing Fire-types.

Pretty much the only place I can see Emboar working is in Trick Room, which limits your teams severely, so Arcanine is the much better Pokemon overall.

I know Windsong already replied, but I feel the need to point things out too

1: Arcanine gets Close Combat and Morning Sun, two much better moves that I coul think of off the top of my head. I'm sure theres better ones he gets.

2: Arcanine has Intimidate. And he has Morning Sunb to help heal off recoil damage from Flare Blitz. Flash Fire is also a huge help with handling opposing Fire-types.

Pretty much the only place I can see Emboar working is in Trick Room, which limits your teams severely, so Arcanine is the much better Pokemon overall.
Ah I do see your point since you pointed it out rather kindly unlike some people.

I know this is Theorymon, but if Emboar had Slack Off/Morning Sun and Close Combat would he be at the "same level" as Arcanine?

Eh. Emboar doesn't have Extremespeed or Intimidate/Flash Fire, though he does have a nifty neutrality to Stealth Rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)