Emboar

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
BEHOLD THE WRATH OF SUPER BACON

Overview
###########
  • New move in sucker punch is wonderful, remedying it's lackluster speed and can take out psychic types such as Azelf with relative ease
  • Surprisingly versatile, allowing Emboar to take on a variety of roles such as physical and mixed attackers, scarfers, making Emboar one of the more unpredictable fire-types in UU (take note Entei and Fletchinder).
  • Powerful STAB combination allow it to check a bunch of Pokemon in UU
  • Neutrality to rocks is a niche it has over other fire types
  • One of the few fire types that can cover it's water weakness thanks to wild charge
  • Powerful STAB options
  • Isn't weak to pursuit, actually it resists it, so being choiced isn't so dangerous when compared to Chandelure and Victini
  • Lack of his hidden ability, reckless, really sucks as his main moves are recoil moves, however his high HP stat somewhat makes up for it
  • Speaking of which, his main moves have nasty side effects, which limits it's staying power
  • Slow
  • Sucker punch is unreliable
  • 110 / 65 / 65 defenses. While not terrible he is still quite easily taken down by powerful attackers
All-Out-Attacker
###########
name: All-Out-Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Superpower
move 3: Wild Charge
move 4: Sucker Punch
ability: Blaze
item: Life Orb / Choice Band
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is the main move here, and the one you will be using the most, the other moves are simply for when flare blitz doesn't hit hard enough. Superpower is the fighting move of choice here and is chosen over hammer arm and the gimmicky arm thrust, and allows you to obliterate the rock types that resist flare blitz and bulky normal types such as Porygon2.
Wild charge is necessary for nailing opposing water types that would other wise be great checks to most fire types. Wild charge can also nail flying types on the switch, but most flying types are faster and can OHKO with their STAB, so it's ill advised to stay in against them anyway. Sucker punch is a necessity, and is essentially the only reason Emboar is even viable in UU. Sucker punch is the powerful priority move that makes up for it's low speed and can even revenge-kill dangerous threats, it even comes with the added bonus of covering it's psychic weakness.

Set Details
========

Your typical spread for a physical attacker, 252 Atk make Emboar hit hard as possible, while 252 Spe allow it to be as fast as possible. Life orb is the preferred option allowing you to switch moves, but if you want to hit harder and don't like life orb recoil, then choice band is another great option for Emboar. Jolly is chosen over adamant to be as fast as possible.

Usage Tips
========

A lot people don't have much experience with Emboar, and probably won't even know it has sucker punch in gen 6, so use surprise against them. Even with 110 / 65 / 65 defenses, his weakness to common types and reliance on recoil moves make it risky switching in and taking damage. Bring it in on a slow volturn or after a teammate faints, or unless you are absolutely certain they will go for a fire, bug, dark, etc, type move.

Team Options
========
  • Galvantula
  • Slowbro
Assault Vest
########
name: Assault vest
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Assault Vest
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD

Moves
========

Flare Blitz is the main move here, and the one you will be using the most, the other moves are simply for when flare blitz doesn't hit hard enough. Superpower is the fighting move of choice here and is chosen over hammer arm and the gimmicky arm thrust, and allows you to obliterate the rock types that resist flare blitz and bulky normal types such as Porygon2.
Wild charge is necessary for nailing opposing water types that would other wise be great checks to most fire types. Wild charge can also nail flying types on the switch, but most flying types are faster and can OHKO with their STAB, so it's ill advised to stay in against them anyway. Sucker punch is a necessity, and is essentially the only reason Emboar is even viable in UU. Sucker punch is the powerful priority move that makes up for it's low speed and can revenge-kill dangerous threats, it even comes with the added bonus of covering it's psychic weakness.

Set Details
========

Even though Emboar's moves are the same as the offensive set, the EV's lean more towards bulk rather than speed to maximize this set's defensive capabilities. 252 Atk is the standard, 8 Hp / 248 SpD allow Emboar to take special attacks as best as possible. Item is obviously assault vest. Adamant is preferred for AV set to maximize attack, but you may choose careful nature (+SpD/-SpA) should you prefer.

Usage Tips
========

Don't underestimate AV Emboar's special bulk, don't be afraid of switching in to special attackers, even timid specs Chandelure only 3HKO's with shadow ball (18% chance to 2HKO if modest), meanwhile Chandelure is cleanly OHKO'd by sucker punch after stealth rock. If sending Emboar in against a physical attacker, you know, the usual thing: Bring it in on a slow volturn or after a teammate faints, or unless you are absolutely certain they will go for a fire, bug, dark, etc, type move.

Team Options
========
  • Galvantula
  • Slowbro

Other Options
########
  • Head Smash
  • Scarf
  • Mixed Set

Checks & Counters
########

Emboar is quite versatile, no single Pokemon can wall every set listed in this analysis, so knowing the set Emboar is using is your greatest advantage against it. For example, Rhyperior straight up walls physical sets, but is destroyed by grass knot from special sets. Honchcrow might seem like another counter, but Emboar resists sucker punch and can outspeed it's brave bird if choice scarf is equipped, also OHKO's with wild charge on the switch.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I know this is just a WIP, but that last point in the overview doesn't really tell us anything about Emboar itself. You may want to remove it.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not QC so you don't have to abide by my opinion on this, but I think one of the biggest overall selling points of Emboar that you should emphasize a bit more is its STAB combo that both offensively and defensively lets it check a bunch of Pokemon that most other Fire-types in UU couldn't. And 110/65/65 bulk is decent, but I wouldn't outright call it lackluster. An AV set might have to honestly be mentioned, if not at least chucked into Other Options. With an AV, Emboar is able to stand up to Mega Houndoom, Hydreigon, Chandelure, Mega Ampharos, Raikou, etc. Basically most strong special attackers that don't run Ground, Fire, or Psychic coverage (The ones that do run Psychic are often Psychic themselves, being susceptible to Sucker Punch)

Emboar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Wild Charge

It sucks that it doesn't have any kind of passive recovery, but being able to work as an offensive sponge to a good amount of special attackers who can cover a wide range of the tier with the appropriate coverage move is what makes AV Emboar kinda worth it. And no, I'm not one of those guys who randomly tags an Assault Vest on everything and proclaims it's good. You don't have to put this one on if you don't want, but I think it's a viable option for Emboar in UU. Yawn, Will-O-Wisp, and Bulk Up can probably also go in OO, at least since they're useful moves that Emboar just doesn't have affordability to use most of the time.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with CoolStoryBrobat on that. Emboar can use it for similar reasons as Conkeldurr in OU - it patches up its weak special defensive stat, and it can hit hard enough unboosted to warrant it not holding a boosting item in order to patch up its weak special defense.

I would redo the all out attacker set to more of a mixed attacker:

All Out Attacker
########
name: All Out Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast / Flare Blitz
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Sucker Punch / Wild Charge
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
evs: [will do later]
nature: Mild

Expert Belt can be used to bluff a choice item (usually Scarf), but Life Orb is more reliable. However, the main draw to such an Emboar is that it is great at bluffing other sets (add that into overview while you're at it). Wild Charge should only be used alongside Expert Belt as you are going to be bluffing choice with it and you want all the coverage you can get.

On the topic of bluffing choice, Physical and Mixed Choice Scarf sets are rather good:

Physical Scarfer
########
name: Physical Scarfer
move 4: Sleep Talk / Earthquake
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

EVs give PZ an attack boost rather than a SpA boost. Sleep Talk makes you a capable of absorbing sleep.

Mixed Scarfer
########
name: Mixed Scarfer
move 1: Fire Blast
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Wild Charge
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 84 Atk / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
nature: Mild

The EVs guarantee an OHKO on SpD Empoleon with Superpower. Fire Blast is most spammable, but make sure to land predictions. Wild Charge gets a more reliable hit on lighter Water-types and ones with a neutrality to Grass-type moves (that aren't called Empoleon - can't think of any off of the top of my head), but Grass Knot is great against heavier Water-types, Rhyperior and the like. Mild is for the power on Fire Blast as it is rather lacking in power otherwise, and it also gives PZ an attack boost rather than a spec attack one.

Its a pity that Reckless hasn't been released. Emboar would be so much better with it.

I am genuinely shocked that choice scarf was not the first set that came to mid to you all out attacker is ok and add e belt to bluff choice btw, but scarf is what makes emboar so good it can revenge kill a decent amount of threats especially with sticky web support. Sucker punch is good and allows it to pick off threats such as reuniclus but I feel that either one of gamerboy's sets should be first

I am genuinely shocked that choice scarf was not the first set that came to mid to you all out attacker is ok and add e belt to bluff choice btw, but scarf is what makes emboar so good it can revenge kill a decent amount of threats especially with sticky web support. Sucker punch is good and allows it to pick off threats such as reuniclus but I feel that either one of gamerboy's sets should be first
It's just that Choice Scarf faces so much competition from Victini, Darmanitan, and Chandelure to the point where it isn't even worth it.

If I'm going to be completely honest I don't find Emboar viable at all in UU but that's just me.

It's just that Choice Scarf faces so much competition from Victini, Darmanitan, and Chandelure to the point where it isn't even worth it.

If I'm going to be completely honest I don't find Emboar viable at all in UU but that's just me.
A niche it does have over darmantan is the ability to hit suicune via wild charge and unlike victini it has good dual stab but I agree on the fact that it is not very viable. (also it can go mixed unlike chandy and darm(unless zen mode lol))

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Thanks for the sets you provided guys, really appreciate. tbh I don't like the idea of scarf, I haven't tryed it yet but there a better scarfers such as Chandelure, Darm, and Victini. Scarf could work in RU but I just dont see it in UU. I guess 1 good thing 'bout it is that it isn't weak 2 pursuit, actually it resits it.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I've tried out Emboar in UU and I was very impressed. I used a mixed attacker set and it just destroys Slowbro with Grass Knot. I would put Expert Belt over Life Orb because the Recoil + Recoil moves + no reliable recovery + low Speed stat isn't too great.

I've tried out Emboar in UU and I was very impressed. I used a mixed attacker set and it just destroys Slowbro with Grass Knot. I would put Expert Belt over Life Orb because the Recoil + Recoil moves + no reliable recovery + low Speed stat isn't too great.
252+ Atk Expert Belt Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Expert Belt Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
??

I ain't saying that Grass Knot isn't good, it beats up Swampert and Hippowdon, but Slowbro is not the example I would pick.

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
Soz guys, I don't have much free time right now and I've only tried the first set so far. I'm gonna try the other sets in future, don't worry.
I don't really like the idea of using grass knot on Emboar. It would seem like a great idea if Emboar was lighter, but Emboar's heavy weight make grass knot seem hit-or-miss to me.
Of course like I said I haven't tried a mix set yet so I don't know how effective it is.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Soz guys, I don't have much free time right now and I've only tried the first set so far. I'm gonna try the other sets in future, don't worry.

I don't really like the idea of using grass knot on Emboar. It would seem like a great idea if Emboar was lighter, but Emboar's heavy weight make grass knot seem hit-or-miss to me.
Of course like I said I haven't tried a mix set yet so I don't know how effective it is.
...Grass Knot's damage output is dependent on the opponent's weight rather than the user's, making it a good option on Emboar and tons of other mixed/special attackers against Quagsire, Swampert, and Hippowdon.

It is not hit or miss, especially considering how they can stop Emboar without it.

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used the Scarf set for a little bit in UU (Thanks, Dark Horse Project) and it's alright, but it's not much to write home about. It's probably the slowest scarfer among many, and can only be used to revenge unboosted mons. On top of that, Adamant Scarf is so slow gets outrun by Cobalion and everything faster, while Jolly Scarf can be a little lacking in power on non-SE hits. For that reason I'd make sure not to put Scarf first, especially since it's got better options. On the plus side some of this can probably go into set details for it when you get around to that part

MyNameIsVeryCreative

Banned deucer.
...Grass Knot's damage output is dependent on the opponent's weight rather than the user's, making it a good option on Emboar and tons of other mixed/special attackers against Quagsire, Swampert, and Hippowdon.

It is not hit or miss, especially considering how they can stop Emboar without it.
Grass knot's power increases how much heavier the opponent is COMPARED to the user, so the lighter the user is the better. Emboar is pretty heavy so i thought grass knot wouldn't be a good move. But since everyone else says otherwise i guess ill implement a mixed set and test it out.

Last edited:
Grass knot's power increases how much heavier the opponent is COMPARED to the user, so the lighter the user is the better. Emboar is pretty heavy so i thought grass knot wouldn't be a good move. But since everyone else says otherwise i guess ill implement a mixed set and test it out.
bulbapedia said:
Grass Knot doesn't have a standard base power; rather, its damage is calculated based on the weight of the target.
serebii said:
This attack's power is based on your target's weight. This alone determines how strong, or how weak the attack is going to be. With as little as 20 Base Power, it can go as high as 120, making it a very powerful attack if used against the right team. Below is the set up of how it is calculated
smogon said:
Deals damage. The damage dealt is based on the foe's weight:
it only calculates the weight of the target irrespective of the user's, like AccidentalGreed said earlier

CoolStoryBrobat

You're thinking of Heavy Slam and Heat Crash, sir. Grass Knot and Low Kick are unaffected by the user's weight alone and thus have BP only based on their target's weight alone. Trust us on this one, I did the research

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
252+ Atk Expert Belt Emboar Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Expert Belt Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 168-199 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
??

I ain't saying that Grass Knot isn't good, it beats up Swampert and Hippowdon, but Slowbro is not the example I would pick.
I ran enough EVs in Special Attack to 2HKO Slowbro after Stealth Rock damage.
72 SpA Expert Belt Emboar Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowbro: 180-214 (45.6 - 54.3%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Anyway, MyNameIsVeryCreative Grass Knot is dependent entirely on the weight of the target. Nothing else factors in to it's BP.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The EVs on the AV set need redoing. I know that it is Brobat's set, but whats the point of running AV and then not investing anything worthwhile into bulk? Furthermore, PZ will get a spec. attack boost out of that spread as it measures the actual stat rather than the altered one. I don't have time to work one out (in school right now), but you want a bulkier spread (that isn't simply 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD) for the set.

CoolStoryBrobat

The EVs on the AV set need redoing. I know that it is Brobat's set, but whats the point of running AV and then not investing anything worthwhile into bulk? Furthermore, PZ will get a spec. attack boost out of that spread as it measures the actual stat rather than the altered one. I don't have time to work one out (in school right now), but you want a bulkier spread (that isn't simply 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD) for the set.
Believe it or not, you end up having better special bulk with 4 HP / 252 SpD while holding the AV. Most Pokemon in general with that item seem to benefit from that kind of a spread. Plus, Emboar's got base 110 HP to begin with, so it's still got a decent amount. I tried doing spreads that split up HP and SpD, but overall you end up taking special hits worse, believe it or not. Lemme show you some calcs of stuff:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 135-160 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 128 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 156-184 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The closest you can get to taking less damage while investing HP looks a bit more like this:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 135-160 (37.1 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You taking a whopping 0.1% less amount of damage overall, but from there you start taking slightly more damage the more you pull away from SpD:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 12 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 136-162 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So if you really do care about maximization, I guess the most efficient spread is 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD Adamant. Any other EV spread is going to make Emboar even worse at taking hits. This principle doesn't apply to every last Pokemon with an Assault Vest, but it covers the majority of them barring the ones who naturally have a ton of SpD to begin with. If they have a more average SpD stat, it's gonna take significant investment to make the spread efficient for Assault Vest.

Last edited:

Martin

Believe it or not, you end up having better special bulk with 4 HP / 252 SpD while holding the AV. Most Pokemon in general with that item seem to benefit from that kind of a spread. Plus, Emboar's got base 110 HP to begin with, so it's still got a decent amount. I tried doing spreads that split up HP and SpD, but overall you end up taking special hits worse, believe it or not. Lemme show you some calcs of stuff:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 135-160 (37.2 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 128 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 156-184 (39.6 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

The closest you can get to taking less damage while investing HP looks a bit more like this:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 135-160 (37.1 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You taking a whopping 0.1% less amount of damage overall, but from there you start taking slightly more damage the more you pull away from SpD:

252 SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunderbolt vs. 12 HP / 244 SpD Assault Vest Emboar: 136-162 (37.3 - 44.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So if you really do care about maximization, I guess the most efficient spread is 8 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD Adamant. Any other EV spread is going to make Emboar even worse at taking hits. This principle doesn't apply to every last Pokemon with an Assault Vest, but it covers the majority of them barring the ones who naturally have a ton of SpD to begin with. If they have a more average SpD stat, it's gonna take significant investment to make the spread efficient for Assault Vest.
That's what I said: that isn't 252 HP / 4 SpD. I agree with you that the spread should be 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)