Entei

My friend loves entei, and I laughed so hard when it's DW ability was flash fire instead of intimidate, and wasn't compatible with flare blitz or extremespeed...

Entei is a worse option than Arcanine every time, because defensive fire type?

Also, Fire + Fighting + Normal (Extremespeed, priority matters) + Dark also hits nine types super effectively, and with three moves.

I'm pretty sure Entei won't be able to use Flare Blitz and Extremespeed in conjunction with Flash Fire since they're event only moves.

We don't know that exactly, pokemon can potentially have tutor moves or exclusive moves when caught in the dream world, so he could possibly have flare blitz and such when he is caught there.

Also, Arcanine is not better, they both play slightly diffrent, Entei having better defensive stats for flare blitz and also faster and more powerful than him. But Arcanine does have his advantages, sporting a somewhat better movepool and abilities as of now. He also have a higher special attack for a mixed set, though Entei has accses to calm mind. It gennereally comes down to prefernce of what you want, none of them outclasses eachother.

On your last set, in the Op, I think Extreme speed could do well over Nitro Charge. Also a more defensive set could be added, like a CM/Sleep Talk/Lava Plume/Roar. I have also created a set of my own, it's a little gimmicky, however, It can work great. It needs a spinner to work effectively

@

Entei @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure
252 HP/252 Def/6 SpD
~Willo-Wisp
~Reflect
~Protect
~Stone Edge/Fire Spin/Roar

Before Willowisp or Reflect it's bulkier than the Lead Swampert, the Evs generate 434 Hp, and 295 defense. Really no Physical attacker can get past except extremly powerful ground types like Mamoswine, and Rhyperior, and sometimes Gyarados. Taunt screws this set up to.
I have set which is somewhat simmiliar to this one which works well to remove counters like Gyardos and such.

Entei@wowreflecter something?
Nature: jolly
Item: enigma berry
Ability: pressure
116 hp, 142 atk, 252 speed.
-Will-o-wisp
-Reflect
-fire fang
-stone edge

This set combines his physical aspect with his defensive one. His defenses are actually not satisfactory with this spread, so thats where enigma berry comes in. A gyardos waterfall after reflect will take around 50% and even if you do hit with the wow on the second turn, you will then be at to low hp to do anything. Enigma berry restores 25 % of your HP, and after the wow, he will barely be able to scratch you while you are at around 75 % - 85 % hp, ready to do some damage with your main counter on the team removed. Only thing is that he can't switch in, he has to come in after something has fainted. It can take on pokes like Dragonite and Gyardos, but Tyranitar is not someone you should try your luck on, his stone edge hurts really bad.

This is like saying that Surf is useless on Starmie because Empoleon gets it as well. Flare Blitz is inferior on half of that list, you can't possibly be suggesting that Urgumoth use it.

As others have posted, Entei's best set will be the Crown set:

Entei@Expert Belt
Adamant; 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed

Flare Blitz
Stone Edge
Extremespeed
Level Ground / Iron Head

Iron Head does have its merits for the guaranteed 2HKO with rocks on 252/0 Tar, but that's about it. Level Ground will almost always 2HKO ScarfTar with Rocks, which is much more important, and will always OHKO Heatran with Rocks. Lowering the speed of something like Starmie is always useful, as they will eventually be put into KO range from another attack.

Expert Belt helps preserve Entei's respectable bulk, and isn't entirely useless as Entei can hit 9 types super effectively with the set.
i liked your set since lvl ground lowers the oponent speed and in 5 gen we get team preview we can expect the pokemon the oponent can switch on entei and see if entei can 2ko since if the oponent is faster he will get slower and if its fire/rock it will get super effective move and lvl ground can make your oponent scarfers uselless since the speed bosst will be negated( if doesnt have levitate or is flying type) but expert belt seems weird maybe leftovers or to go totally offensive life orb or maybe ballon making entei imunde to ground moves and spikes/toxic spikes until it pops

Although Entei seems better than Arcanine at first glance, it seems to me that he's almost entirely outclassed by the other flaming dog.

In terms of offensive sets, Entei may have better Speed (still under par due to speed creep) and mildly better attack, but the only stat in which he really beats Arc noticably is HP, which is useful for reducing FB recoil. However, Arcanine has Morning Sun access, which can prove very useful in healing off this damage. Anyway, the main thing making Arc the better offensive choice is Close Combat - which is simply invaluable to destroy Tyranitar, Heatran etc. Level Ground is laughed at by balloonTran, and Iron Head's coverage is frankly pretty awful. SE is useful, but it hits neither of these pokes hard enough, and the lesser accuracy is worse than def drops when backed up by priority. Also, Flash Fire in conjunction with these helps immensely, powering up FB to ridiculous levels (more so in Sun) as well as providing a valuable immunity especially if running a Sun team, where either poke will be wanted due to the Fire boost.

Defensively I'd argue neither is particularly viable in a meta with Heatran and Chandelure, but nonetheless Intimidate and Morning Sun are far more valuable than Entei's slightly better stats and Pressure.

Although Entei seems better than Arcanine at first glance, it seems to me that he's almost entirely outclassed by the other flaming dog.

In terms of offensive sets, Entei may have better Speed (still under par due to speed creep) and mildly better attack, but the only stat in which he really beats Arc noticably is HP, which is useful for reducing FB recoil. However, Arcanine has Morning Sun access, which can prove very useful in healing off this damage. Anyway, the main thing making Arc the better offensive choice is Close Combat - which is simply invaluable to destroy Tyranitar, Heatran etc. Level Ground is laughed at by balloonTran, and Iron Head's coverage is frankly pretty awful. SE is useful, but it hits neither of these pokes hard enough, and the lesser accuracy is worse than def drops when backed up by priority. Also, Flash Fire in conjunction with these helps immensely, powering up FB to ridiculous levels (more so in Sun) as well as providing a valuable immunity especially if running a Sun team, where either poke will be wanted due to the Fire boost.

Defensively I'd argue neither is particularly viable in a meta with Heatran and Chandelure, but nonetheless Intimidate and Morning Sun are far more valuable than Entei's slightly better stats and Pressure.

I'm sorry I gotta agree with this... I like entei being that he's legendary and all but arcanine is just better (on the physical side that is). In regards to balloontran and chandelure... flash fire arcanine has a lot of uses... heatran does not want to take a close combat at all, and chandelure can get crunched if he stays in on him... (too bad he doesnt have pursuit)

really want an answer to this haha. so my event entei with a speed iv of 18 effectively means its basically a netural natured base 97 speed pokemon. who shoul di outspeed? max netural base 95s? max + nature base 90s? i dunno

I think you'll find Level Ground and Nitro Charge are now called Bulldoze and Flame Charge respectively.

Why have Bulldoze on Entei? Stone Edge has infinitely more power and is of a similar type.

Entei even has better attack and speed stats than Arcanine. Entei beats Arcanine hands down, partly because of stats and partly because of Stone Edge. Which, if you remember correctly, is super effective on Chandelure.

Entei basically would be OU if it wasn't for damn Stealth Rock. Make it Stealth Grass or Stealth Bug or Stealth Steel or something Game Freak!!!

I think you'll find Level Ground and Nitro Charge are now called Bulldoze and Flame Charge respectively.

Why have Bulldoze on Entei? Stone Edge has infinitely more power and is of a similar type.

Entei even has better attack and speed stats than Arcanine. Entei beats Arcanine hands down, partly because of stats and partly because of Stone Edge. Which, if you remember correctly, is super effective on Chandelure.

Entei basically would be OU if it wasn't for damn Stealth Rock. Make it Stealth Grass or Stealth Bug or Stealth Steel or something Game Freak!!!
Did you read my post slightly above your own :\? The stats difference is minimal and in any case Arc's movepool and abilities entirely outweigh the benefit of SE and stats. Crunch can be used by Arc if it needs to hit Chandelure.

Entei would not be OU if not for SR, it's simply outclassed by Arcanine, who himself simply isn't good enough outside of Sun teams to warrant use over Heatran or Infernape, just like last generation and probably won't end up OU.

The only way Entei can be useful over Arc is a bulkyCM set.

Entei @ Leftovers
120 Def/136 SpAtk/252 Spe
Timid / Flash Fire

Calm Mind
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
HP Fighting
Shadow Ball/SolarBeam

With sun support he can be a decent Calm Minder.
With base 90 spatk he isn't an instant sweeping threat, however he can get a calm mind in and start threatening opponents with powerful Fire Blasts. HP Fighting gives the hit on Heatran, and Shadow Ball is filler (and hits Jellicent). SolarBeam works with sun, but a sunny Calm Minder is threatening anyway, since he has good bulk and can come in on grass-type weaknesses.
Truthfully, Sun makes up for his lack of spatk. I've run sweeps with NP Ninetales, and even without sweeping power it can 1hko a lot of threats with lower spatk and a Life Orb, so Entei has similar calcs going for it. Full offense with Life Orb and 252/252 is a good option too.

Hate to beat a dead horse and all, but just how are you using Entei? If its special, then yea I could see the calm mind set beating arcanine... However on the physical side... Its just not the case... Simply because he has slightly better stats... does not make him better... lets explore the facts share we?

The only true advantage entei has is being able to hit other fire types super effectively with stone edge... this is something arcanine cannot do... However, this is not as important, because you usually dont counter a fire type with another fire type... Its usually going to be a water or rock type...
But besides that, Stone edge's accuracy is not great, and it provides redundant coverage (i.e. Ice, bug). It hits flying, but arcanine can too...

Not to mention that close combat hit rock types super effectively... which entie must move to iron head to do so... but close combat is more base power and more devastating than iron head... unless u get a flinch... which is can happen but is only a 30% chance. Also you have a means for supereffectively attacking normal and dark types... something entei also cant do...

Wild charge gives a 100% accuracy move to hit flying types... where as stone edge is 80% accuracy... It has the added bonus of also hitting its most common switch ins... water types super effectively... Both of them should switch if a bulky water comes in, but @ least arcanine can take out weaked ones with wild charge...

Arcanine can heal himself.. Entei Cannot

Entie's pressure is for the most part... useless... and arcanine can run flash fire just like entie can... but it also has intimidate... a great ability... and justified.. .a means in which to boost attack outside of howl. Another thing Entie cant do on the switch...

The reason coverage is so important is because outside of flare blitz, entie really isnt hitting that hard... Most physical entei use choice band because its imprtant to boost those other moves as well as flare blitz as high as possible... but being locked into moves hurt him bad unless its a late game sweep... arcanine has much more bulk with intimidate and morning sun... so it can find opps to heal itself... It can also abuse sunny day a little better as they both get a boost in stab attacks, but morning sun heals for 66% of it hp...

All in all he is simply OUTCLASSED by arcanine... I like em both... but i was a little upset @ my crown entei's performance after i took all that time to grind him to lvl 100...

I've played around with a physical set for Entei (as well as Arcanine) and from what I can tell, the fragility brought about by Entei's typing sets it to be a very short-lived physical sweeper, especially when using Flare Blitz. Entei can effectively sweep perhaps one Pokemon before being forced to die from either recoil, SR, or an opposing sweeper.

A special set seems to be much more effective, despite a significantly narrower moveset. Something that particularly caught my eye was the inclusion of Eruption, which in combination with Flash Fire makes for devastating predictions.

In my application of such a combination, I've seen the following to be a very lethal (and not entire unlikely, given Ninetails' rise) combination:
150 base * Flash Fire * STAB * SunnyDay * Choice Specs = 150 * 1.5^4 = ~500% * 150 = ~759 base power

With that, I've been able to sweep a strong amount of tanks. Priority moves ruin Eruption, but if you pair it with Overheat, Entei can have a second round. It's surprisingly effective against tanks that would otherwise sponge Special Fire, 1-2 HKO'ing the likes of Slowbro. This makes Entei's limited moveset almost negligible because it hits everything hard enough to be worthwhile.

Entei as a false Reuniclus

Entei. Reuniclus. Not the first two Pokemon that come to mind when you think similar. Entei is better compared to Darmanitan or Arcanine, for example (not as good as the former but better than the latter). Look at the base stats:

HP: 115
Attack: 115
Defense: 85
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 75
Speed: 100

for Entei, and

HP: 110
Attack: 65
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 125
Special Defense: 85
Speed: 30

for Reuniclus. Here is Rank's set in question:

move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Recover
move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Entei can have a similar set, even though it lacks Recover and has 35 less base SpA. As Calm Mind boosts SpA and SpD, like Reuniclus, Entei does not need EV investment in these stats. Also, after 6 CMs, it doesn't really matter what your base stat is unless it's negative. The set is probably something like this:

Entei @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature:Bold/Timid
EVs: Depending on interests, it is a split between HP, Def and Spe. The two best ones it seems are 252/0/4/0/0/252 and 128/0/128/0/0/252.
Calm Mind
Fire Blast
Extrasensory
Rest/Solarbeam/HP Grass

Use it like a rank' only faster. CalmMind as much as you can and then get out the attacks: Extrasensory as a Psychic replacement and Fire Blast for STAB. You can also run a grass move for coverage (Solarbeam if you are running a sun team, otherwise HP Grass) or Rest. Use Leftovers unless running Rest.

^I'm sorry, but your post is quite ridiculous. You're comparing two completely different Pokemon simply because they both learn Calm Mind. Entei and Reuniclus have nothing in common.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

i totally agree with everything you said except from this one...
it isn't anything important but still...

entei's defensive stats are:
hp:115
def:85
sp.def:75

arcanine's defensive stats are:
hp:90
def:80
sp.def:80

entei has clearly much better defense than arcanine not slightly...entei's sp.def is the one that is slightly better than arcanine's...
just a nitpick!

No to mention no one gives shit about bulky CM that cant recover themsleves

ESPECIALY one that you wont care if its +6. Big deal, even that exact set need only one pokemon to stop. Tyranitar. Done. Oh i can also EQ his ass

The "Entei as a false Reuniclus" Gamefaqs post was actually created by me. Pokegami is my alt.

Also, the Wow/Reflect/Protect/FBlast set does work. This is even better if you switch Reflect for CM if special defense is a problem. Protect turn 1, WoW turn 2, Protect turn 3 and all other odd number turns, start boosting Turn 4, Fire Blast after boosting finishes.

Entei can boost every stat but Arc can only boost Attack and Speed.

Entei's defense is better than Arcanine's and thanks to the HP stat, Entei is actually better defensively than Arc. Both Pokemon's main problem is physical Ground and Rock moves, not special Water, contrary to whatever you may have thought in the past. EQ is twice as common as Waterfall, Scald, or even Hydro Pump, or maybe even those three together. The only things Arc has better stats on are SpA and SpD, which can both be remedied with CM.

Entei is base 100 speed, which means it could conceivably run a scarf set like Gen IV's Scarfgon and Scarfrachi to revenge Mence and Volcarona. It does lack a move to hit Salamence as reliably as Jirachi's Ice Punch or Flygon's Outrage though...

The main problem with that is 1) Entei needs to be Adamant to use its best move (Flare Blitz), meaning it can't outspeed a max speed boosting nature +1 with a Choice Scarf, and 2) with the sheer number of viable Pokemon over base 100 speed, who wants to risk a speed tie for the chance of revenge killing?

The main problem with that is 1) Entei needs to be Adamant to use its best move (Flare Blitz), meaning it can't outspeed a max speed boosting nature +1 with a Choice Scarf, and 2) with the sheer number of viable Pokemon over base 100 speed, who wants to risk a speed tie for the chance of revenge killing?
This is a pretty good point, which brings me to something else...

Everyone talks about how Entei has better bulk and is faster than Arcanine in the case of the Choice Band set... which is simply not true for the most part.

First of all, in order to use Flare Blitz and Extremespeed, only the Crown Entei can run the set--forcing the player to use an Adamant nature. Adamant Entei only reaches 299 speed at most, whereas Jolly Arcanine still hits 317.

The second point is Arcanine's choice in abilities--Intimidate and Flash Fire, both of which give Arcanine a much easier time switching in. Entei gets a good 50 more HP, but Pressure (the only ability Crown Entei can use) certainly isn't doing him many favors here.

No need to bring up Morning Sun, you guys have already discussed that in the previous posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)