Event Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Now, I love GF and their games, but I have questioned their choices on more than a few occasions.
I know it's early, but the winner of the understatement of the year award goes to...

Seriously, what they did with Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon alone would fill that "questioned their choices on more than a few occasions" quota. Twice. With some still leftover.

Though my problem is more of a Pokemon Company problem then GameFreak.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I know it's early, but the winner of the understatement of the year award goes to...

Seriously, what they did with Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon alone would fill that "questioned their choices on more than a few occasions" quota. Twice. With some still leftover.

Though my problem is more of a Pokemon Company problem then GameFreak.
Fair enough. However, they are being generous with the upcoming events, but even those aren't without their major flaws. Obv this newsletter thing is a terrible idea, the Entei doesn't have espeed, the ho-oh won't have regen, and Lugia won't have multiscale. Nothing to special about the genies either. How much would it really hurt them to make those changes? The only reason I can see is that they may want to market those HAs in the future and have people attracted to that by starving us now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Fair enough. However, they are being generous with the upcoming events, but even those aren't without their major flaws. Obv this newsletter thing is a terrible idea, the Entei doesn't have espeed, the ho-oh won't have regen, and Lugia won't have multiscale. Nothing to special about the genies either. How much would it really hurt them to make those changes? The only reason I can see is that they may want to market those HAs in the future and have people attracted to that by starving us now.
Maybe we'll see Hidden Ability Ho-Oh and Lugia later down the line, but E-Speed Entei? Probably not. Ever since Gen VI GameFreak had been afraid to give Pokemon moves they can't normally learn. Understandable, they went overboard with that in Gen VI such as having Vicitni with both Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt and a Rayquaza with V-Create (not to mention all the special moves from the Dream World Pokemon). With Gen VI making the jump to full 3D graphics, GF decided to take the easy route and just make it so you couldn't use those Pokemon anymore in official competition and then not release any more Pokemon with moves they couldn't learn (also create some Event moves which didn't have any competitive use).

But what GF could have done instead was go through all these Pokemon with special moves and, for moves which make sense or weren't that harmful, allowed the Pokemon to learn it somehow. As for the moves they wouldn't want a Pokemon to know such as the above mentioned Fusion Victini and V-Create Rayquaza, don't allow them to be sent into Pokemon Bank until you got rid of those moves. Finally, whenever they do have an event Pokemon and decide to give it a special move, next gen have the Pokemon be able to learn that move naturally thus no longer a problem (or, if an extreme case was done, just prevent the Pokemon from moving on to the next generation until the move in question was deleted).

Now? Dude, Ho-oh and Lugia haven't had their HA since Dream Radar. (outside of transferring via VC GSC, though Lugia is getting Multiscale as part of the movie tie-in... whether or not anyone outside of Japan sees that in their region is another matter entirely)

Granted, the whole point of the Year of the Legendary Pokemon distributions is to give players the wormhole legendary Pokemon not found in their game. (plus Shiny Zygarde) Most have a third part of their trio locked away unless you bring along the other two, and this event will allow players to do just that. Since none of the Pokemon found through the Ultra Warp Ride have their HA, these legendary Pokemon don't either, nor do they have event exclusive moves. (because of course they don't...)
Maybe we'll see Hidden Ability Ho-Oh and Lugia later down the line, but E-Speed Entei? Probably not.
... uh, you can get them via VC GSC, though I don't know if VC Pokemon are VGC legal. (not that it matters for Ho-oh and Lugia, being usually barred and all) And there's that movie tie-in Lugia that's confirmed to have Multiscale and Hurricane, which it can't normally learn. (even though Aeroblast is nearly as good for the same STAB, and far more accurate without rain support)

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Now? Dude, Ho-oh and Lugia haven't had their HA since Dream Radar. (outside of transferring via VC GSC, though Lugia is getting Multiscale as part of the movie tie-in... whether or not anyone outside of Japan sees that in their region is another matter entirely)

Granted, the whole point of the Year of the Legendary Pokemon distributions is to give players the wormhole legendary Pokemon not found in their game. (plus Shiny Zygarde) Most have a third part of their trio locked away unless you bring along the other two, and this event will allow players to do just that. Since none of the Pokemon found through the Ultra Warp Ride have their HA, these legendary Pokemon don't either, nor do they have event exclusive moves. (because of course they don't...)

... uh, you can get them via VC GSC, though I don't know if VC Pokemon are VGC legal. (not that it matters for Ho-oh and Lugia, being usually barred and all) And there's that movie tie-in Lugia that's confirmed to have Multiscale and Hurricane, which it can't normally learn. (even though Aeroblast is nearly as good for the same STAB, and far more accurate without rain support)
I understand what you're saying, and like I said, the 2018 legends are a good event series. Even so, most players could probably obtain the other wormhole legend not from their game via trading in USM easier than they could obtain an HA through VC transfer (as this requires buying a new game) or event move mon (It should be noted, however, that I say this in the context of more causal players). Even so, it should be noted that giving away wormhole legends would more closely follow the theme of USM, but I still hold the belief that it couldn't do much harm to make the pokemon a bit more special.

I understand what you're saying, and like I said, the 2018 legends are a good event series. Even so, most players could probably obtain the other wormhole legend not from their game via trading in USM easier than they could obtain an HA through VC transfer (as this requires buying a new game) or event move mon (It should be noted, however, that I say this in the context of more causal players). Even so, it should be noted that giving away wormhole legends would more closely follow the theme of USM, but I still hold the belief that it couldn't do much harm to make the pokemon a bit more special.
But Tenebricite! If you redeem them in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, they come at level 100 and holding a Gold Bottle Cap so you can Hyper Train them immediately! Surely that's super special!

... at least, that's probably how Game Freak and TPC see it. I would appreciate Johto's legendary Pokemon having their HA and/or at least one more move than their standard shallow pools allow. (well, for Raikou and Entei, anyway)

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
But Tenebricite! If you redeem them in Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, they come at level 100 and holding a Gold Bottle Cap so you can Hyper Train them immediately! Surely that's super special!

... at least, that's probably how Game Freak and TPC see it. I would appreciate Johto's legendary Pokemon having their HA and/or at least one more move than their standard shallow pools allow. (well, for Raikou and Entei, anyway)
Yeah, that's another thing that they could have done. A few of these mons do have unreleased HAs, and from a player's (my) point of view, this would be a good time to do so. Personally, I think they will most likely release them as part of a pkmn card promo or something like that for an extra lure to those specific events.

Yeah, that's another thing that they could have done. A few of these mons do have unreleased HAs, and from a player's (my) point of view, this would be a good time to do so. Personally, I think they will most likely release them as part of a pkmn card promo or something like that for an extra lure to those specific events.
Actually, I think Heatran's the only one with an unreleased HA, technically speaking. (though Flash Fire would likely still be the preferred one; immunities are always nice) The Johto beasts got theirs with VC GSC... but as of this generation they lost Volt Absorb/Flash Fire/Water Absorb in favor of Inner Focus. Everything else has either had theirs released at some point or don't have one to begin with. well, aside from the island deities but who gives a damn about Telepathy

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Actually, I think Heatran's the only one with an unreleased HA, technically speaking. (though Flash Fire would likely still be the preferred one; immunities are always nice) The Johto beasts got theirs with VC GSC... but as of this generation they lost Volt Absorb/Flash Fire/Water Absorb in favor of Inner Focus. Everything else has either had theirs released at some point or don't have one to begin with. well, aside from the island deities but who gives a damn about Telepathy
Yeah... the legendary dogs getting Inner Focus over absorption is a good example of something GF did that I question. Giving them those abilities was certainly more interesting idea than giving them all inner focus.

Out of curiosity, who here has actually received a regi/heatran code from the newsletter?
There's not many people over on /r/pokemontrades that have received a newsletter code as well. Created a fair amount of demand for the PAL versons though, I've ended up redeeming about 15 pairs (not including my own) in the last three days and the NA codes seem to be going for about $11/$12 each on /r/pokemonexchange.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
I've been told by a good amount of people that they haven't gotten their Regi/Heatran codes for this month either. I suspect and hope that they'll release a universal code for a few days for those who didn't get them, similar to the "DARKRAI20" code for those who didn't pick up that event in time.

I've been told by a good amount of people that they haven't gotten their Regi/Heatran codes for this month either. I suspect and hope that they'll release a universal code for a few days for those who didn't get them, similar to the "DARKRAI20" code for those who didn't pick up that event in time.
I full expect all of these to get this treatment, save for any that are straight up released over wi-fi.

By the way, has there been any word yet how Raikou and Entei will be distributed for April in a few days? *is praying for them to not be done through Trainer Club*

Dialga and Palkia were announced on the 2nd of February, while Heatran and Regigigas were announced on the 22nd.

I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that the 2nd of each month will be the norm for these announcements, while a week before will be the exception for Trainer Club codes -- after all, it seems the latter was done pretty much to give you time to sign up for the newsletter before it hit.

Dialga and Palkia were announced on the 2nd of February, while Heatran and Regigigas were announced on the 22nd.

I think it's fairly reasonable to assume that the 2nd of each month will be the norm for these announcements, while a week before will be the exception for Trainer Club codes -- after all, it seems the latter was done pretty much to give you time to sign up for the newsletter before it hit.
True, and it is the Easter weekend... Still, it'd be nice to know ahead of time. (granted, I'm really chomping at the bit for May's distributions: I actually want to redeem a code on both my games. not that it'll matter once Pokemon for the Switch comes out

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
I full expect all of these to get this treatment, save for any that are straight up released over wi-fi.

By the way, has there been any word yet how Raikou and Entei will be distributed for April in a few days? *is praying for them to not be done through Trainer Club*
It'd be funny if they distribute it over trainer club newsletter for the 2nd month in a row. Excluding the fact most of us wouldn't get our pokemon, that is.

It'd be funny if they distribute it over trainer club newsletter for the 2nd month in a row. Excluding the fact most of us wouldn't get our pokemon, that is.
They probably don't want to do that since this is one of those times where a third member of the trio is tied into having the other two. In this case, having Raikou and Entei will allow Suicune to be found in the blue wormholes.

Then again, they've had questionable decisions before...

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
They probably don't want to do that since this is one of those times where a third member of the trio is tied into having the other two. In this case, having Raikou and Entei will allow Suicune to be found in the blue wormholes.

Then again, they've had questionable decisions before...
They have lol... We can't really guess what they'll do next, although I hope its just over wifi, as i suspect many others do as well. However, I hope this will be the last newsletter distribution, at least with this kind of inefficiency.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
OUPL Champion
Team Rocket transmission, uploaded onto the official pokemon youtube channel? Are they the ones that stopped the sending of Regigigas/Heatran codes? xD

Well, Raikou and Entei have begun their serial code distributions... in Latin America. (Microplay in Chile, Masgamers in Peru) I guess the rest of the world will get their methods/locations soon.

It has now been confirmed that it will be distributed over the Nintendo Network in Europe from tomorrow until April 25th while the United States will receive it in Target from April 22nd through April 29th with Canada getting it in the Pokémon Trainer Club Newsletter.

... As a Canadian, I really dislike the news that we have to go through the Trainer Club newsletter, especially as I never received my Heatran code in March despite being sure I clicked the box saying to go ahead and send me email well before the cutoff date. I guess I'll just have to ask the wi-fi SQSR thread for a Raikou code... or trade for a decent Raikou.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)