Fail Without Avail

Over the past week, this team has yielded me many tight victories and entertaining matches. However, perfection is yet a distant isle. I ask you skilled players to dissect my team like a bitch.

----------

Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 12 Def / 12 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Common suicide leads (Aerodactyl, Azelf, Gengar, Roserade, etc.) are beaten with Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch and a Lum Berry. I use the bulk of the common CB 'gross spread to tank hits better (Aerodactyl's Earthquake and Azelf's Fire Blast never OHKO, barring a crit. hit). 12 speed EVs allow me to outspeed most leading Breloom and OHKO before it Spores, saving my berry for future status. Earthquake 2HKOs opposing Metagross and catches Heatran switches as well as providing general coverage with Meteor Mash. Stealth Rock hurts the omnipresent Gyarados, Salamence, Skymin, and Zapdos.

I'm stuck against Swampert, Skarmory, and Zapdos, but Tangrowth beats the former two while Porygon2 counters the latter to some extent (a quick switch to Porygon2 is mandatory for Gyarados, Salamence, and Heatran leads).

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 240 HP / 164 Def / 12 SpA / 92 SpD
Nature: Modest
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

Porygon2 with Trace is the best Heatran, Gyarados, Salamence, and Eeveelution check, firing Intimidates back and gaining Flash Fire, Volt Absorb, and Water Absorb immunities. I use Thunder Wave for paralysis support for superior paralysis support over Discharge.

I use the old standard Porygon2 EV spread due to the extra power Modest nets, but MixMences with Draco Meteor + Outrage KO the poor guy, so a more defensive spread may be preferrable.

Tangrowth @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Sunny Day
- Sleep Powder
- Solarbeam
- Hidden Power Fire

SunnyBeamer Tangrowth outruns Timid Skymin after a Sunny Day boost, OHKOing with Hidden Power Fire. The inevitable Salamence switch is met with a swift Sleep Powder, or a switch to Porygon2 if Sleep Clause is active. I run Solarbeam over Grass Knot because of the reliable power when facing Starmie and Vaporeon (Tyranitar/Hippowdon switches are fairly obvious, and are met with a second Sunny Day).

Tangrowth takes Earthquakes for Metagross and Heatran with its high defense. Sunny Day + Thunder Wave from Porygon2 turn SpecsTran into a monster mid-late game, especially if it nets a Flash Fire boost from a fire attack aimed at Tangrowth.

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power

The advent of Platinum made Heatran staple on many offensive teams. However, its role was largely regulated to late-game sweeps and revenge kills a la the popular ScarfTran set. Through my experiences, I have found Heatran to be most effective as a Choice Specs user, severely weakening the opposition with boosted STAB Overheat (common Fire resists such as Salamence and Gyarados take over 50% damage) and sweeping late game with Flamethrower with paralysis support from Porygon2.

Heatran takes Ice Shards from the likes of Mamoswine like no other with its fantastic typing and base 106 defenses, scaring the fur-laden beast away with the prospect of Choice Scarf or OHKOing with Flamethrower. With a Timid nature, Heatran outruns almost all Mamoswine, falling only to the rare Naive MixMamo.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Jirachi often catches opponents off guard as an unlikely revenge killer, especially with a physical set. Iron Head and Zen Headbutt provide reliable STAB and have 60% and 40% flinch rates, respectively. Fire Punch revenge kills Scizor and Lucario without fail while Ice Punch covers Dragons and Skymin. Zen Headbutt is preferred over ThunderPunch to revenge kill MixApe, which otherwise walks all over this team, as well as Heracross (Gyarados is covered by Porygon2 anyways).

Salamence @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Salamence gained Outrage in Platinum, enabling it to hit even harder than Jolly CB 'chomp before its ban. The extra speed from Jolly, while seemingly unecessary with paralysis support, allows me to outspeed Jolly Lucario and OHKO with Earthquake (said Lucario will avoid paralysis since Porygon2 has no business staying in out of fear of Close Combat).

An immunity to Earthquake grants CB 'mence a welcome spot on this team, considering Metagross, Heatran, and Jirachi are all weak to Ground. However, better defenses and Focus Punch make Dragonite a welcome replacement, although the lack of speed hurts.

----------

Generally, this team has a horrid weakness to MixApe, relying on Jirachi's revenge kill to stop its sweep. Fortunately, most MixApes will stay in to Fire Blast, granting the steel pixie a clean KO.

DD Kingdra with Substitute causes me problems if it gets more than one DD in. However, generally I bring Jirachi in on the first DD and flinch it to death.

A secondary Choice Scarf user is a plausible replacement for CB 'mence, although its sheer power will be missed.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would highly recommend a jolly nature on jirachi to always outspeed adamant salamences after a DD. Trick > fire punch IMO because you have heatran + salamence to take care of scizor. This team looks like it will have trouble with offensive suicunes.

Heatran has base 106 defence's not 107.

Do you need so many choice users? Give Jirachi trick as it'll help you more than Fire Punch. (You already have 3 pokemon with fire moves)

Well you mentioned a MixApe weakness. If you switch Heatran's item to Choice Scarf you would render that weakness void. Yeah, I don't really consider Revenge Killing a counter, but this is the only solution I can think of if you don't want to change your team. Heatran can still get the job done with a Choice Scarf, just predict switches and then hit hard. My personal Heatran is as follows

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Naive - 252 Sp Atk and Speed, 6 Atk
Flash Fire

Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Earth Power
HP Ice
Explosion

You hit everything hard, don't worry. But if you are feeling the need in extra power, Modest is also an option. Modest allows you to 2HKO Starmie with a non boosted Fire Blast.

I would highly recommend a jolly nature on jirachi to always outspeed adamant salamences after a DD. Trick > fire punch IMO because you have heatran + salamence to take care of scizor. This team looks like it will have trouble with offensive suicunes.
Porygon2 is almost always my answer to DD 'mences, and the loss of power from Jolly is apparent when you consider Jirachi's base 100 attack.

I have never been a fan of Trick, but it's definitely an option. However, the OHKO on Lucario is welcome on this team, so it will have to replace Zen Headbutt.

Purely offensive Suicune are a rare sight for me, and when they do appear, I can always play around them with careful prediction, allowing Life Orb to take its toll.

Heatran@Choice Scarf
Naive - 252 Sp Atk and Speed, 6 Atk
Flash Fire

Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Earth Power
HP Ice
Explosion
Paralysis support and the power from Choice Specs is most welcome for my style of play, hitting as hard as I can to weaken the opposition before sweeping late game with reliable STAB. However, I have used ScarfTran in place of SpecsTran a few times with Overheat over Explosion with moderate success. The power to bring offensive Gyarados and Salamence to ~25% after Stealth Rock with Overheat is too satisfying to give up, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)