Fakemon Art Challenge!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Posting to give a cheer for CactuarJoe's project! I love the epic scale, and how you are putting your progress out there for everyone to see. Your finished work is clean and beautiful, but your concept art is the real gem of this thread IMO. For a project like this, seeing your rough ideas take shape, gives everyone a glimpse into all the work that goes into each one of these.

BTW, your spark plug Dragon is creative brilliance! I loved it in CAP 8, and I love seeing it here amongst the rest of your dex. It's definitely one of my all-time favorite fakemon designs.

Go Joe!

Updated with the Ice/Bug Final art! I also dug up my artwork for one of the earlier CAP projects for the Ghost/Rock Pokemon (Concept and Final art - I need to do some more searching for my lineart). Also;

Posting to give a cheer for CactuarJoe's project! I love the epic scale, and how you are putting your progress out there for everyone to see. Your finished work is clean and beautiful, but your concept art is the real gem of this thread IMO. For a project like this, seeing your rough ideas take shape, gives everyone a glimpse into all the work that goes into each one of these.

BTW, your spark plug Dragon is creative brilliance! I loved it in CAP 8, and I love seeing it here amongst the rest of your dex. It's definitely one of my all-time favorite fakemon designs.

Go Joe!
I'm glad people are enjoying the concept art! Some of my favorite pieces of art are concept pieces, so I had to show some of my rough work off. ^^

I cant see how to not love the Ghost/Water guy. Its awesome.

Good luck on this harsh, awesome project.

no more updates?
Patience, my dear fellow. Rome didn't collapse in a day. ^^

A couple new critters to introduce today, complete with actual names. But first, the line art for Fortacy, the Fire/Electric Pokemon. Came out a bit rougher than I would've liked, but there we are.

Next up, the concept art for our Fire/Ghost Pokemon, who I've decided to call Absconce (a combination of "abscond" and "sconce," of course). I've still got a bit of fiddling to do with this design - I like the concept, but I'm not sure this is going to be the final evolutionary form.

Finally, I've decided to redo my Grass/Fire Pokemon. Citritic was mainly designed to be a jerk Pokemon, and that doesn't really fit hugely well with the Fire side of things. So here we have the concept and line art for Furose, Citritic's replacement. This is actually the first full evolutionary line I've done. It came about pretty naturally - the design just evolved from a tiny little critter to a hulking rage-filled Generalissimo, and here we are. I particularly like the names of its pre-evos, Fitunia (as in, to throw a fit) and Tantmum (ie, tantrum and chrysanthemum).

If you need some fiddling, :) you can go to Gamefaqs, I forgot who's it but he has those too~ and amazing works! Both of you!

I would like to say (but don't take offense, please) that your water/ghost pokemon looks much more fire oriented. You should work blue into it somewhere that way people can tell it is a water pokemon, not fire. As for its concept, it looks awesome, but I don't get what a waiter has to do with ghosts...

I would like to say (but don't take offense, please) that your water/ghost pokemon looks much more fire oriented. You should work blue into it somewhere that way people can tell it is a water pokemon, not fire. As for its concept, it looks awesome, but I don't get what a waiter has to do with ghosts...
Eh, I don't think a Pokemon necissarily has to use a type's base color to look like it belongs in that type. Heck, Octillery is bright orange. Besides, crawfish have this great dark reddish color to them when they're cooked that I just love. ^^b

As to the waiter thing, everybody loves a good spectral servant. I blame Igor.

Wow, this is quite a project you have here my friend. I think you are doing excellent so far. The grass/fire evo line is great; really cool idea there. My favorite out of all of your stuff is by far Tantmum. Maybe it's because of its slight resemblance to infernape, but it seems so incredibly pokemon-like already. You really captured the style.

Nice job.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
A Jetpack is a Fantastic concept for a Electric/Bug fakemon! Well done. Do you mind if I used the same concept to create a fakemon?

A couple days ago, I caught a show on the National Geographic channel called "The Whale that Exploded." Well, naturally, there was nothing for it but I had to design a whale Pokemon capable of going boom. So today we have concept and line art for the Ice/Steel Pokemon, the submarine whale.

I'll freely admit that I came up with the design for this 'mon before I decided what type it would be, but c'mon! Exploding whale! And apparently, it's more common than you'd think.

Haha, wow. Exploding whales is one the funniest things i've heard about.

Thank you for this bit of odd humor, and I also like the design for the whale poke. I actually preferred the one in your concept where you were like "too big?" So much innuendo just popped into my head.

"A couple days ago, I caught a show on the National Geographic channel called "The Whale that Exploded." Well, naturally, there was nothing for it but I had to design a whale Pokemon capable of going boom. So today we have concept and line art for the Ice/Steel Pokemon, the submarine whale."

OK, that's it! I see you as my BIGGEST threat ever!

This is the second time that...err nothing, wow I really like your style of exploding whale! xD

It could be because I, too, watch the same show.

Haha, I've heard about this one myself. Never really considered making it into a Fakemon though, nice.

Aargh, I hate busy weeks. But I managed to piece together a new critter; the Normal/Dark Pokemon in concept and line art! I want to do more Pokemon based on mythological sources, so it's based very loosely on the Manticore. As you can see on the concept art, it started out being much more of a hydra thing. I blame Cyclohm.

I'm finding the Normal/whatever combinations to be a big challenge. Normal is really kind of Pokemon's junk drawer - if it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes into Normal. Since that means Normal doesn't have very many internal themes, it's hard making a Pokemon that looks Normal without just being generically cute.

OK, that's it! I see you as my BIGGEST threat ever!

This is the second time that...err nothing, wow I really like your style of exploding whale! xD

It could be because I, too, watch the same show.
Clearly my mind-reading drones have been successful! Bwahaha! Seriously, though, anyone's free to use the same concepts I'm doing here. We're all violating copyright in one way or another. :P

These are awesome designs. Every time I look at this thread, it inspires me even more to do something like this. I want to try it sometime.

Nice, I best liking that Manticore of yours. Sweet beans!

Add-on: It's really adorable. Can you make it slightly intimidating?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)