Feel the Power of the Sun

Yay for bad titles. There's a PokeMoshPit tournament coming up soon (Saturday), and I need a team for it. I've been testing Sun and it isn't all that bad, if at all. There are a few problems - that are kind of big - but I think in general, this team works. This isn't really an all out team, more so a bit of a slow one.

Leftovers, Timid Nature (HP Ground)
Drought
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Energy Ball
All sun teams need Ninetales, so this is fairly self explantory. Outside of the possible OHKO miss on Gliscor, the lack of Life Orb isn't all bad, and Leftovers helps against weather wars. Will O Wisp burns Tyranitar, and they never expect it as well. A lot of people lead with a slower physical attacker against Ninetales, and unless they're named Conkeldurr, they won't enjoy Will O Wisp. Fire Blast is self explantory, and has great power in the sun, despite the lack of Life Orb and Ninetales's average SpA. Hidden Power Ground is to deal with Heatran, and other Fire types, though it only 2HKOs the former. Energy Ball is for Water types and for a slightly stronger hit on Tyranitar. I'd run SolarBeam, but it isn't worth it due to other weather.

Leftovers, Adamant nature
Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard
Stealth Rocker of choice. Due to Dragonite and Ninetales, I believed a Rapid Spinner was necessary, and Donphan works pretty well; good synergy with the team, and gets its Water weakness reduced. Donphan always does its job for me: lay up rocks, spin away hazards, and deal some nice damage. Earthquake hurts anything coming off Donphan's great attack stat, and Ice Shard helps finish off weakened foes and is great against Landorus, Gliscor and other 4x Ice weak Pokemon. It lacks power, but still works. Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards, which really hurts this team, though I prefer switching into Venusaur for Toxic Spikes. Stealth Rock is nice support, helping with K.O.s, opposing weather starters and the like. Donphan has some sort of Defensive core with Heatran, as well.

Leftovers, Calm Nature
Flash Fire
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpDef
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Protect
- Toxic
My main check/counter to other sun abusers, certain Dragons (specifically, EQ lacking Dragonite, Lati@s that lack Trick, and the like) Steel types, and other Heatran. Can serve as a decent Tyranitar check in some scenarios, though the rise of Earthquake makes this shaky. Lava Plume actually hits hard in the sun despite this being a Defensive set, and the burn rate is nice as well. Earth Power is specifically for Pokemon weak to it and Heatran, since Donphan is too slow to hit Heatran first, and Ninetales does not always get the KO. Toxic is better on Polited than the other weather starters, but is still useful for Hippowdon. Protect is to scout, and get extra Leftovers recovery.

Life Orb, Modest nature. [HP Fire]
Chlorophyll
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain [might have to change to energy ball for this tourney]
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power

OMG SOMETHING THAT DOESNT HAVE LEFTOVERS?! Yeah, Giga Drain is why. Venusaur is this team's main sweeper, and quite possibly the best Chlorophyll sweeper. It has solid bulk, ok speed with Chlorophyll, and nice Special Attack. Growth takes this even farther, meaning only specially defensive tanks can take a hit. Giga Drain is great on Venusaur, healing off recoil and keeping Venusaur healthy, while also helping against Tyranitar and Politoed [the latter cannot do anything to Venusaur; only Specs Ice Beam will OHKO and this can still fail,while Giga Drain heals this off the damage] and the power is still solid. The only problem is it fails to OHKO Tentacruel without some prior damage. Sludge Bomb is for the Dragons, dealing a nice hit, while HP Fire takes out any Steel types, and thanks to Sun, it takes out almost all of them.

Leftovers, Adamant nature
Multiscale
216 HP / 80 Atk / 212 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
Secondary sweeper, helps with Venusaur's checks. That aren't named Heatran. Bulky Dragonite cleans up well, and with the sun boosting Fire Punch, even Skarmory can't stand up to the might of the original Dragon. The spread gives some extra power (enough to OHKO Metagross with Fire Punch in the sun at +1, for instance), and a Leftovers number while maximizing the number of times Dragonite can switch in with Stealth Rock. Dragon Claw is reliable STAB, as Outrage is counter productive on this set. Dragon Dance is obvious, while Roost brings Dragonite to Multiscale, heals off all damage and gets rid of any Flying weaknesses.

Choice Scarf, Naive nature [HP Ice]
Regenerator
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power

Revenge killer of choice, able to deal with other Dragon Dancers and Quiver Dancers. Also able to take out Heatran, and the blobs while provide a last resort sweeper. Hi Jump Kick, although surprisingly really unreliable, gets the job done. The only problem are that the blobs and Heatran carry Protect. And frequently get double Protect. U-Turn is for scouting, not much else. Does good damage to anything weak to it though, which is nice. Hidden Power is for Gliscor, and anything else weak to it. Stone Edge takes out Quiver Dancers and other Flying types, dealing more damage to the latter than HP Ice.

Final Thoughts, Changes and Problems
This team can work fairly well, getting off sweeps pretty easily. It's really stopped easily though, and it's hard to work around things. Heatran is a thorn in this team's side, as are the blobs. Even though Mienshao can hit them hard, they love their protection. Additionally, bar Abomasnow, opposing weather is a pain. I can actually work around them fairly easily through status, but still not easy. Really, Drizzle teams are possibly the worst because Venusaur and Dragonite are my only Water resists, and they can be taken out by Ice attacks. The Water weakness on this team also limited my options quite a bit, as I'd run Scarf Terrakion in Mienshao's place for higher speed and power, but it'd compound the Water weakness.

Changes I'd think I'd make:
- Tangrowth can work in the place of Venusaur, taking out Heatran and the blobs no problem on its own. It's just too slow though, and even at a +speed nature, base 86 +speed scarfers still outspeed it. That, and Dragons wall it.

- Hidden Power fighting on Ninetales? I think for now HP Ground.

- Physically Defensive Donphan to deal with Physical attackers better, and getting rid of Ice Shard for Roar in that case.

- Fully offensive Dragonite, either Choice Band or Max Speed and Attack with ExtremeSpeed or Earthquake over Roost. It can work pretty well.

- Volcarona over maybe Dragonite or Venusaur. It really does work in the sun, and is hard to stop without Stealth Rock.

- Rotom-W? I saw in another Sun RMT that Rotom-W worked well in it.

- Either Mixed or Dragon Dance Salamence can work over Dragonite here with a slight tweak to the team, helping to clear the way for Venusaur.

- Specially Defensive Jirachi, with Terrakion over Mienshao, actually really helps this team out despite its Fire weakness being compounded. It can take out Tyranitar easily, and Flinch Polited to death. Abomasnow cannot do anything to Jirachi. Wish Support also helps the rest of the team.

Hi FSLAR, your team has serious problems with Heatran as it enters your whole team is the one who can enter into a Fire Blast it and Dragonite and yet has nothing to give him damage as you use Dragon Claw and Fire Punch, Tyranitar can be a big problem he also takes his sun and Choice Band is the only switch that you have for him and Donphan, his team suffers a lot from any Wheater has that can take the sun thus causing his team can not do much, I suggest changing Donphan by Dugtrio, thanks to Arena Trap Dugtrio holds Heatran / Tyranitar problems that are too big for your team, Mienshao is not one of the best options for a team of sun if you want a strong Figthing that works well in Sun use Scarf it has Terrakion stab Figthing and Rock which are great Stab in the current metagame with it you can make things Kill Revenger very common as Thundurus Tornadus-T and-T are two Pokemon that are being used with great frequency today, I suggest that good Be very careful with him Tornadus-T Hurricane can take your whole team and not give Venusaur OHKO it with Sludge Bomb if you have not got the setup for Growth, Heatran can only get in Hurricane Focus Blast puts it out of the game.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature Jolly (+ Spe,-SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Nature Jolly (+ Spe,-SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

• Arena Trap Dugtrio> Donphan
• Choice Scarf Terrakion> Choice Scarf Mienshao

Cool team, Hope I Helped!

Hey there.

I can actually see quite a Tornadus-T weakness if rain is active (both is rather common at the moment). Heatran has to be weary of Focus Blast off the LO set, while everything else takes considerable damage from Hurricane.
I'd thus suggest Specially Defensive Jirachi over Heatran:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful, 252 HP, 224 SpD, 32 Spe
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch / Stealth Rock / Protect

Jirachi can easily switch into most attacks Tornadus-T can muster and severely cripple it with paralysis.

It'd also go with Miles Tails' suggestion of replacing Mienshao with Scarf Terrakion. Firstly, because it gets STAB on Stone Edge, and more importantly because Close Combat is more reliable than High Jump Kick (considering that many Pokemon run Protect (e.g. Heatran, Wish Blissey/Chansey, Politoed, Tentacruel, etc.)). Losing Regenerator and U-turn is a bit of a downer, but X-Scizor hurts a lot more and being able to freely switch into Tyranitar's Crunch (and gaining an Attack boost) is always nice.

Another thing worth considering is replacing your spinner. I often run Starmie on Sun teams, simply for it's ability to check and counter rain based teams (or more importantly: Politoed). The standard set can work nicely (especially, if you add Wish support from Jirachi):

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid, 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
- Rapid Spind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump / Recover / Psyshock

Alternatively, you could go for a defencive set:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid, 252 HP, 24 Def, 8 SpA, 224 Spe
- Ice Beam / Scald / Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I think Starmie would make winning weather wars a lot easier, as rain could be really problematic for your team. Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi FSLAR

Solid sun team you have here. Now looking at your team, I can see Heatran, a common menace to sun teams, being problematic. Ninetales and Donphan can damage Heatran but they must be wary of Earth Power and Fire Blast respectively from offensive Heatran. Also as you mentioned, your team has some weaknees to opposing weather starters and really relies on keeping Ninetales alive to win the weather war. Rain teams especially with Politoed, Keldeo, and Thundurus-T pose a major threat. For these reasons, I recommend replacing Heatran with a Specially Defensive Gastrodon. With Storm Drain, Gastrodon can absorb the water attacks used by rain teams and turn them into Special Attack boosts. With this he's able to wall most rain teams that do not carry Ferrothorn or another grass type. Gastrodon also can handle the threats that sand teams have to offer, crippling Tyranitar, Landorus, and Terrakion with either Toxic or a Scald burn. Gastrodon also helps against opposing Heatrans, easily taking Fire type moves and retaliating with a STAB 4x Super Effective Earth Power. Finally, Gastrodon's combination of Toxic and Recover allows him to Toxic stall out opponents. Losing Heatran may make you a bit more susceptible to opposing Sun teams but a combination of Dragonite and Gastrodon should handle the majority of them.

Now for some smaller changes. First, I recommend replacing Hidden Power Fire on Venusaur with Sleep Powder. HP Fire is useful for taking out Steel types but you already have Ninetales, Donphan, Dragonite with Fire Punch, and Mienshao who are all capable of taking out Steels. Sleep Powder is useful for putting opposing Politoed and Tyranitar to sleep, making them easier to take out and allow you to win the weather war. Lastly I would change Donphan's EV to one of 248 HP / 252 Atk /8 Spd with an Adamant nature. A little speed investment can allow you to outspeed opposing Donphans and win against them.

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
-Toxic
-Recover
-Scald
-Earth Power

tl;dr
Heatran ----> Specially Defensive Gastrodon
Hidden Power Fire on Venusaur ----> Sleep Powder
Donphan's EV spread ----> 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. To address some of them, yes, Heatran is a huge problem. On to individual ones...
@ Miles Tails: Never even considered the threat of CB Tyranitar, just defensive Tyranitar. Terrakion has worked out better for this team, I just didn't want too many Water weaknesses. I've tried out Reversal Dugtrio, and the only issue is that after it does its job, it's dead weight. And Rapid Spin support helps out overall. I think maybe I just need to play Dugtrio better and it'll work out. I am switching to Terrakion for this team.
@ Cerulean21: Specially Defensive Jirachi does work out as well for this team, so I'm switching to it over Heatran. Also went with the suggestion of Tyranitar. Starmie is an interesting idea however, and it really does work. Switched to it over Donphan. What do you suggest in the 4th Slot though? I don't think Recover is worthwhile with Jirachi, while Psyshock and Hydro Pump both work.
@ Novaray: Gastrodon is...interesting, I've seen it still take Fire attacks pretty well in the sun. Sleep Powder isn't a bad option either, the only issue is I find Venusaur gets walled too easily from there, and HP Fire is in case I fail to take out other steels. Donphan's spread change is a good idea though.

Since we are worried about suffering from Water, I suggest you follow the hint and put the Novaray Gastrodon instead of Heatran, Gastrodon can get all the time in Water moves through the Storm Drain besides Heatran also able to get in since it has a good Sp.Def.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)