Feeling Kind of Faulty

Hello. I'm just starting to get back into pokemon from a rather long
break. I've returned to a pretty different metagame with new generation 5
pokemon, and this is my first functioning team. It can tackle most things,
but has some trouble dealing with specific units, which I'll touch upon in a bit.
This is what I have so far:

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

Alright, so this normally isn't the lead. I keep him in the lead spot to be
switched with Heatran at the team view window, as most players like to
"counter-lead" or whatever, so they send in like a Skarmory or something else
to get damage on what they expect to be a lead Conkeldurr. Tran starts
instead, getting rocks or damage off on something. The set itself is pretty
cool, standard, and has a nice longevity to it. I make the mistake of trying
to out-boost SD Gliscors from time to time, but I've learned for the most part
where this will work and where it won't.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover

Kind of a filler unit, but Latios does a good enough job of hitting things for
nice amounts of damage while being fast and not too frail. If somebody feels
that another pokemon would work well on this team, I'd be most willing to
part with this guy.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Really solid stuff from this guy, I'm enjoying the power that he has while being
a wall with nice longevity and spikes support. Jellicent and Heatran switch to
cover him on those fire moves.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Stealth rock was kind of hard to find for me this gen, as I didn't want weather
induced by my own team and Gliscor was busy being full with other moves...
Heatran's really nice though, not sure whether or not I should keep HP Ice
over Dragon Pulse, but sometimes he can catch a Gliscor switching in and
take him out.

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Again, kind of filler. Whenever she comes in she never really does anything at
all. She's a good check for certain threats, but just kind of forces them out
and leaves those same threats to come in later.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Protect

I like Gliscor's new ability this gen, the +16% is really nice and keeps him alive
for quite some time. Solid unit.

As far as the issues I mentioned in the beginning, I'm having some trouble
beating teams with Reuniclus. Latios can't hit him hard enough from the
special side, especially if he already has a CM up. Conkeldurr can't handle
Psychics, Ferrothorn's useless because Reuniclus is really slow, etc. My team
just doesn't really have a solid answer for him. When he's combined with
Tyranitar, opposing Gliscor and Conkeldurr, etc, it becomes extremely difficult
or impossible to win. Does anyone have some suggestions or replacements
that would help me beat him? Point is, I know he has weaknesses and
counters, but I don't really know what I'd drop for something like Scizor or
Jirachi.

Sorry for any errors in grammar or spacing, feeling kind of sleepy lol.
Thanks for taking the time to read/ rate!​

maybe try eviolite chansey over jellicent it can pass HUGE wishes to heatran larios and nattorei who i suspect would need it as well as walling things to death with toxic

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
BTW, Gliscor has Hardy nature and Conkeldurr has Brave nature. I pretty sure you want Impish (+DEF, - SATK) and Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) respectively.

maybe try eviolite chansey over jellicent it can pass HUGE wishes to heatran larios and nattorei who i suspect would need it as well as walling things to death with toxic
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try chansey and see how it goes.

BTW, Gliscor has Hardy nature and Conkeldurr has Brave nature. I pretty sure you want Impish (+DEF, - SATK) and Adamant (+ATK, -SATK) respectively.
Thanks for pointing that out, gotta fix that lol.

I'd suggest a better bulky water over Pringles. Alomola (no clue how to spell) and Vaporeon are nice alternatives, or the aformentioned Chansey for Wishpassing.

i think disable gengar will destroy your team and it will always out speed your latios cause hp fire so you can put a blissey or chansey instead of heatran or Jellicent or a poke that is faster than gengar instead of Conkeldurr

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Since your team looks more defensively oriented, why not try Latias instead of Latios? I think it's a better choice since it has great defensive synergy with Ferrothorn, it can pass it Wishes (although Latias is not used for that purpose very often!) and still has great Special Attack and Speed for an offensive presence on the field.

I suggest you keep Jellicent since it blocks Rapid Spin and has nice synergy with other members of the team.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
hi fohg

this team looks pretty solid but theres a couple of things that you could probably improve i think. first off you say you're weak to reuniclus. a somewhat simple solution to this would be to simply use cursed body over water absorb. normally jellicent cant beat rank since it ends up doing too little damage after some cm's and having to recover, but with cursed body you can pretty much just recover until it gets disabled then hit it continously. still i dont really think thats enough so id also consider making latios specs. specs dm ohkos unboosted reuniclus but more importantly you can trick it which turns it into an easy kill for the rest of the team.

the biggest issue i see though is nasty plot thundurus. after an NP it literally OHKOs everything with focus blast/hp ice/thunderbolt. fixing this without changing any members seems pretty much impossible (unless you like use scarf latios or somthing) so id try changing your most expendable member. to me this is probably conkeldurr. the pokemon im suggesting to replace it for is scarf tyranitar. now tyranitars cool because he can outspeed and OHKO thundurus with stone edge (which they really wont expect), pursuits starmie, which is annoying if it keeps spinning around, pursuits LO latios (which seems kinda gay if it has dm+surf+hp fire) and provides an additional check to reuniclus doing a shitton with crunch. weathers always great if youre up against sun/rain too. id go with like crunch/stone edge/pursuit/eq or superpower (probably superpower).

anywya thats all i can think of right now. gl and stuff

It might have a hard time setting up, but Landorus (Rock Polish and Substitute variants especially) is a pretty big problem especially since most carry Hidden Power Ice. Not even Jellicent is going to want to take Sand Force boosted Earthquakes in the Sand after entry hazard damage. There are tons of ways you can deal with this, like swapping Skarmory for Ferrothorn, but I think you'd probably prefer to keep Ferro from what you've explained. Rotom-W over Jellicent is a pretty good idea since immunity to Earthquake means Landorus has to rely on Stone Edge to hit it, and you can even make Rotom-W Bold so it'll be almost as bulky as Jellicent. Rapid Spin isn't that common in BW, and even still if you see a spinner on team preview, you can just kill it before trying to set up with Ferrothorn. You might find Rotom-W to be more useful overall than Jellicent, since its Ground immunity lets it counter things like Gliscor, Mamoswine and Landorus a lot more reliably than Jellicent.

Unfortunately this does nothing to mitigate your Disable Gengar weakness. Not even Blissey or Chansey can really beat Disable Gengar, since it can Sub up as you try and paralyze it, and then just Disable you as you try to heal the second time. Even though you're trying to avoid using weather, Chople Berry Tyranitar can be a huge help over Heatran to beat Gengar. I would use Stealth Rock / Superpower / Crunch / Pursuit so you can bluff a Choice Pursuit, only to kill Gengar with Crunch as it Disables Pursuit. Chople Tyranitar is also helps a lot with Reuniclus. If you're adamant (+Atk, -SpA) about not using weather, you could at least try specially defensive Jirachi in Heatran's place, since it can set up SR and counter Gengar decently, although you'll probably need to outpredict it with Thunder Wave, as Gengar can just Disable Iron Head.

Good to see you back.

I'd suggest a better bulky water over Pringles. Alomola (no clue how to spell) and Vaporeon are nice alternatives, or the aformentioned Chansey for Wishpassing.
I'll be sure to look into that, it looks as though "Pringles" isn't quite as tight as I had thought. Thanks for the rate!

i think disable gengar will destroy your team and it will always out speed your latios cause hp fire so you can put a blissey or chansey instead of heatran or Jellicent or a poke that is faster than gengar instead of Conkeldurr
Going to have to look into this as well, "Disable Gengar" is a threat that I haven't come across yet, but it seems pretty obvious that I need an answer to it. Thanks for the rate!

Since your team looks more defensively oriented, why not try Latias instead of Latios? I think it's a better choice since it has great defensive synergy with Ferrothorn, it can pass it Wishes (although Latias is not used for that purpose very often!) and still has great Special Attack and Speed for an offensive presence on the field.

I suggest you keep Jellicent since it blocks Rapid Spin and has nice synergy with other members of the team.
I've actually never really come across a spinner this gen yet. And if I did, I must have been keeping enough pressure on that the spinner didn't have time to spin. I'll be looking into the Latios replacement/ alteration, as well. Thanks for the rate!

hi fohg

this team looks pretty solid but theres a couple of things that you could probably improve i think. first off you say you're weak to reuniclus. a somewhat simple solution to this would be to simply use cursed body over water absorb. normally jellicent cant beat rank since it ends up doing too little damage after some cm's and having to recover, but with cursed body you can pretty much just recover until it gets disabled then hit it continously. still i dont really think thats enough so id also consider making latios specs. specs dm ohkos unboosted reuniclus but more importantly you can trick it which turns it into an easy kill for the rest of the team.

the biggest issue i see though is nasty plot thundurus. after an NP it literally OHKOs everything with focus blast/hp ice/thunderbolt. fixing this without changing any members seems pretty much impossible (unless you like use scarf latios or somthing) so id try changing your most expendable member. to me this is probably conkeldurr. the pokemon im suggesting to replace it for is scarf tyranitar. now tyranitars cool because he can outspeed and OHKO thundurus with stone edge (which they really wont expect), pursuits starmie, which is annoying if it keeps spinning around, pursuits LO latios (which seems kinda gay if it has dm+surf+hp fire) and provides an additional check to reuniclus doing a shitton with crunch. weathers always great if youre up against sun/rain too. id go with like crunch/stone edge/pursuit/eq or superpower (probably superpower).

anywya thats all i can think of right now. gl and stuff
You're so right about NP Thundurus, oh man I had a game where it did exactly what you said it would, and swept me lol. As for the Cursed Body change, I'm not positive that I'll be keeping Jellicent, but I'll keep the option in mind. I'll implement your suggested Tyranitar change and see how it works. Thanks a lot for the rate!

It might have a hard time setting up, but Landorus (Rock Polish and Substitute variants especially) is a pretty big problem especially since most carry Hidden Power Ice. Not even Jellicent is going to want to take Sand Force boosted Earthquakes in the Sand after entry hazard damage. There are tons of ways you can deal with this, like swapping Skarmory for Ferrothorn, but I think you'd probably prefer to keep Ferro from what you've explained. Rotom-W over Jellicent is a pretty good idea since immunity to Earthquake means Landorus has to rely on Stone Edge to hit it, and you can even make Rotom-W Bold so it'll be almost as bulky as Jellicent. Rapid Spin isn't that common in BW, and even still if you see a spinner on team preview, you can just kill it before trying to set up with Ferrothorn. You might find Rotom-W to be more useful overall than Jellicent, since its Ground immunity lets it counter things like Gliscor, Mamoswine and Landorus a lot more reliably than Jellicent.

Unfortunately this does nothing to mitigate your Disable Gengar weakness. Not even Blissey or Chansey can really beat Disable Gengar, since it can Sub up as you try and paralyze it, and then just Disable you as you try to heal the second time. Even though you're trying to avoid using weather, Chople Berry Tyranitar can be a huge help over Heatran to beat Gengar. I would use Stealth Rock / Superpower / Crunch / Pursuit so you can bluff a Choice Pursuit, only to kill Gengar with Crunch as it Disables Pursuit. Chople Tyranitar is also helps a lot with Reuniclus. If you're adamant (+Atk, -SpA) about not using weather, you could at least try specially defensive Jirachi in Heatran's place, since it can set up SR and counter Gengar decently, although you'll probably need to outpredict it with Thunder Wave, as Gengar can just Disable Iron Head.

Good to see you back.
Yeah, it seems like I've got a bit of an overlooked issue on my part concerning the genies. I'll implement your Rotom-W change and see how it works. As for the Gengar issue, I've been planning on trying the scarfed Tyranitar that Folgorio suggested. Without the scarf, I'm kind of open to Thundurus, and without the berry I'm open to Disable Gengar. The Jirachi is a great idea though as well, and I don't think I'll be missing the fire and ice moves that Heatran carried. Lol @ the adamant joke. Thanks a lot for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)