Feels Like Something is Missing-UU Wifi/Shoddy RMT

Hiya, this is my first serious RMT. I've been playing around with this UU team for a while, and I just can't seem to figure out how to make it feel "complete." No matter which six pokemon I choose, I'm always taken down by a common threat or seem to be missing that one thing that pulls it all together. And so, I come to you for help.

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Special IVs: 3 HP
EVs: 188 Def/252 Spd/68 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Stun Spore

My opener. Jumpluff is faster than a lot of the pokemon in UU; it can use sleep on the first turn, substitute the next, and then spread status around the opposing team with stun spore or stall out the opponent with Leech seed. The strategy is fairly linear and I don't deviate from it much; as such, I'm forced to switch out of anything that is faster or can't be stalled, such as Clefable, Swellow, scarfed Fighting Types, Persian, Aerodactyl, and anything with Insomnia. I can switch Meganium and Weezing in on most of these, except for Aerodactyl (movepool is too huge to always have a safe switch, but I'll attempt to switch one of the two since there's nothing else for me to try), Clefable (major problem for my team), and Swellow (I've still to test how Weezing fares).

Hitmonchan @ Black Belt
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spd
Adamant nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch

Hitmonchan is my main (and, as of now, only physical force). Unfortunately, he's not too fast since I take full advantage of the Iron Fist ability by using subpunch. However, subpunch hitmonchan is ferocious anyway for the same reason. By switching Hitmonchan on in something that I know will run from it (seeing as many people mistakenly believe that most fighting types will be scarfed), I can get a free sub up and thus get some free damage on whatever comes in. SubpunchChan with Black Belt OHKO's Steelix trying to roar him away (at least he does in my experience; I haven't done exact calcs) and can KO Weezing who don't carry sludge bomb or the proper amount of EVs to destroy subs with elemental attacks. If Hitmonchan is in danger from Weezings, Blastoises, Claydols, or other Physical walls/special attackers, he can be covered by Grumpig (or, in claydol's case, Meganium); physical attackers will have to face Meganium and Weezing.

When played right, I've taken down at least 1 pokemon and severely dented at least one more with Hitmonchan every battle.

Persian @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature
- Nasty Plot
- Swift
- Water Pulse
- Hypnosis

Persian is my main Special attacking force in my team. He's especially great during late game, when threats against him are gone and he can safely set up and sweep. By Late game, anything put to sleep by Jumpluff will most likely be awake again; thus, Persian can Hypnosis and Nasty Plot away. Due to his high speed, I can also use Persian for revenge killing earlier on if Hitmonchan isn't capable of doing so. Also, many people expect the hit and run set, so it can take some people by surprise. Lum berry prevents paralysis, sleep, and toxic from ruining my fun.

As a final note, I'd like to point out that after a Nasty Plot or two and with some prediction, Persian is capable of sweeping entire teams who aren't prepared for it, even in early game.

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef
Calm nature
- Rest
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Bug]/Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

Grumpig is great at taking special hits; it is one of the most reliable counters to Ninetales, and it can take down Poison types easily (with the exception of Venusaur, who I believe can 2HKO or 3HKO him with Sludge Bomb, while Grumpig is only a 2HKO as far as I know; this means that I can't exactly switch in Grumpig as a counter). Grumpig's special attack stat is also reasonable, so it can dent opponents fairly well over time. Grumpig can provide a free switch to Persian on predicted shadow balls, and to Meganium and Weezing if the opponent sends in a fighting type. However, I'm stuck against strong Bug attacks, most notably Venemoth.

On wifi, I'm forced to use Focus Blast since I don't have an HP Bug or HP Fight pig yet. This is unfortunate, seeing as Grumpig could otherwise take care of Hypnos and their Wish-less movesets. On Shoddy, I prefer to use HP Bug to take care of Dark (onthe switch) and Psychic types.

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 216 HP/148 Def/144 SAtk
Bold nature
- Energy Ball
- Aromatherapy
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Synthesis

Meganium, one of the common UU walls. It takes so many physical hits well, and it doesn't need much explaining; to be concise, it covers Bandactyl with some prediction, fighting types to an extent, anything trying to destroy me with physical water, and even Altaria that don't carry Roost. I chose HP Ice over leech seed because I felt that the extra coverage benefited me more overall; I'm no longer useless against opposing grass types and flyers, especially Altaria. Aromatherapy is important because my team can be destroyed by status if I don't take care of it.

However, I'm concerned that at this point Venusaur might be a better choice overall if Aromatherapy isn't as important as it seems.

Weezing @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 SAtk
Bold nature
- Pain Split
- Will-o-wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower

This final slot is the most problematic for me. I can never seem to find the unifying pokemon I need. Weezing is my current choice; it further takes those physical hits that are so often used in UU, but its special attacking doesn't help me with my special wall problem. Weezing is great on its own, but I"m unsure of whether it truly fits on this team.

---------------------------------------

As you can probably see, I need a lot of help. Aside from Persian and sometimes Hitmonchan, the team seems to have a bulky or difficult-to-damage feel, and it seems to be more focused on damage over time than pure power. I like this, but the lack of pure power makes fighting Clefable, Hypno, Weezing, Venusaur, Venemoth and Grumpig difficult. So, I"d like some criticisms and suggestions. I don't mind switching out pokemon completely or using unique sets.

So, a summary of problems I've noticed:
  • lack of power
  • lack of poison to make up for the lack of power
  • lack of special wall counters, most notably Clefable and to an extent Hypno and Grumpig
  • inability to handle special attackers
So thanks in advance for reading and hopefully helping me out. I'm open to most changes, if it is for the better; and if there's anything I should change about the RMT itself please inform me. (Also, sorry if the commentary wasn't fulfilling, I wasn't sure how to go about it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)