Figuring the Nintendo Tourney is comming up I figured I should post this.

For those unfamiler with the rules of the 2 vs 2 showdown pokemon tourney please click the following link.

http://showdown.pokemon.com/rules/qualifier_rules.xhtml

Anyway back on track this is a team I have though about for this tournament.

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Swift Swim
252 SpA / 240 HP / 16 Spe
Modest
~ Rain Dance
~ Surf
~ Protect
~ Dragon Pulse

Well combined with Toxicroak leading off Kingdra makes a pretty good Rain Dance leader, Surf will heal up Toxicroak and putting in the Black Sludge factor Toxicroak will be retaining a lot of HP back. The Lum Berry is for Choice Scarf Dark Void Smeargle.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Dry Skin
252 HP / 240 Spe / 16 Atk
~ Sucker Punch
~ Focus Punch / Fake Out
~ Stone Edge
~ Substitute / Protect

In the rain with Kingdra's help Toxicroak will be hard to take down because of the amount of HP he will be getting each turn Dry Skin + Kingdra's Surf + . Sucker Punch works nice off STAB and can grab some quick kills on those Gengar and Azelf lead offs, while with all this HP recovery Toxicroak will have an easy time setting up a Substitute and getting in a Focus Punch. Stone Edge is of course for the Flying-type Pokemon.

Gyarados @ Expert Belt
Intimidate
212 HP / 180 Def / 100 Spe / 16 Atk
Adamant
~ Dragon Dance
~ Ice Fang
~ Earthquake
~ Waterfall

With the help of Rhyperior this is an almost guranteed game. Dragon Dance while Rhyperior will attack the opponent or Protect if fear of the 4x weakness attacks.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Lightingrod
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
~ Earthquake
~ Protect
~ Rock Slide
~ Rock Polish

Hey Rhyperior has to do at least something while Gyarados is grabing some Dragon Dances if the opponent does not have 4x super effective moves than its time to Rock Polish and try to sweep.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would consider a few changes to your Toxicroak. Regaining a ton of HP back is all well and good, but it won't mean much if Toxicroak is KOed in a single hit. Yours is currently very fragile. I'd give it some more HP EVs, possibly taking those EVs out of Attack. In order to compensate, you should give Toxicroak Life Orb. The damage you take from recoil will be more than made up by the HP you'll recover in the rain.

Also, you should consider giving your Toxicroak Fake Out. You currently have no way to ensure that Rain Dance will go off and your team doesn't function nearly as well without it. I'd replace Substitute and Focus Punch with Fake Out and Cross Chop, since Sub-Punching is a questionable strategy in Doubles anyhow.

You might consider giving your Rhyperior another attack over Rock Polish and lose the Speed EVs. I don't know how often it's going to be able to actually try to sweep.

Also, your team is going to have lots of trouble against other Water-based teams. You can't hurt bulky Water-types very effectively. If you can find a way to get a powerful Electric- or Grass-type attack onto your team, that should help. Grass-type Pokémon could also give you some problems since you have no good way to harm them.

Thanks I was noticing a few problems and I forgot Toxicroak can learn Fake Out yay fuck you Smeargle and Azelf, Ok I am considering Megahorn over Rock Polish if Rhyperior can get it as an egg move.

i don't really like that rhyperior is there. i don't think that it wold help that much. i had a rain dance team also, so maybe add something like jolteon, that can also raindance, and abuse the rain with a fast, 100% powerful stabbed thunder to the face (discharge to hit all, not sure if jolteon has it but just saying)

No the whole point of Rhyperior is to draw Electric attacks away from Gyrados. I think Manetric would be better here though.

Grass Types walk all over you, especially Celebi and Shaymin, as do bulky Waters, as the Masked Nitpicker has already said. I seriously think you should consider a different pair here over Gyrados+Rhyperior, maybe a Damp Rock Rain Dance.

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not going to claim to know much about 2v2, but I think I can offer some help.

Toxicroak may have a rain based ability, but I really can't see any advantage to running it over something like Choice Scarf Smeargle with Dark Void. Without sleep clause the first turn Dark Void on both of their pokemon will be retardedly good, and you can easily set up with Kingdra. And as much as I would like to see Manectric's STAB thunder in the rain, Rhyperior's EQ to hit things that Gyara can't is necessary.

Anyway, very cool idea.

That is why those rules are so messed up. Like Tay said you are going to have to get something to abuse no sleep clause as really nothing has an advantage over it. Smeargle is your best bet if you can get it legitly but you could also take a very different route of this rain dance idea. Basically keeping kingdra and toxicroak but for second. I would lead off with bronzong @ damp rock with rain dance and explosion and then just explosion thunder hypnosis gengar. just get your rain dance off with explosion and hopefully kill opposing sleepers who ruin you. then bring out kingdra and toxicroak who should be able to sweep with this advantage. abusing sleep and killing their 2 pokemon (and a lot of people will probably use their two best pokemon for leads) and then you sweeping with the kingdra + toxicroak healing combo at the end.

I loved this idea when I saw it in the doubles battle thread.

No the whole point of Rhyperior is to draw Electric attacks away from Gyrados. I think Manetric would be better here though.

Grass Types walk all over you, especially Celebi and Shaymin, as do bulky Waters, as the Masked Nitpicker has already said. I seriously think you should consider a different pair here over Gyrados+Rhyperior, maybe a Damp Rock Rain Dance.
Celebi and Shaymin are banned in the tournament.

i think this team is actually quite well thought out. though i can't say anything about double battling, i know that this tourney will be filled with choice scarf dark void smeargles. having a lum berry on kingdra as well as rain dance would guarantee getting rid of that threat. just another thought, would a team involving ninjask and 3 exploders demolish this tourney? ninjask protects and subs to avoid damage, while the other 3 explodes in its face killing many threats. just a thought.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)