SS OU First OU team of SS (Bisharp HO), need some advice!

So I've finally gotten over the lack of National Dex and realized that SS OU is actually infinitely less cancerous than SM OU (I always wanted lando-t to be banned to Ubers but this is almost as good). This is my first team. I have no clue if it's any good, so I'd like advice. Thank you all!

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

This used to be my fav mon in UU, so I thought it could only be good here. It still has all the same advantages as ever - Sucker Punch is awesome, Defiant is awesome when you read Defog, it's a powerful setup sweeper and wallbreaker with strong coverage, etc. I find I can rarely get an SD off without getting punished, and the switch into Defog doesn't seem to happen as often as I'd want it to, but it feels very powerful even without those tools, especially with support from the rest of my team.

Mew @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Flare Blitz

I hate Scarf Hydreigon with Dark Pulse that flinches 100% of the time so much. Other than that, I've had zero problem with Mew as a suicide lead. Taunt, dual hazards, decent attack in case I get taunted, fast af and pretty fun ability that lets me mess with Dragapult and a few other common mons. I kind of dislike the idea of suicide leads in general, but its an HO team, what am I going to do. IDK if there's anyone better for this team (ribombee?) and it seems to do fine, so I guess we're OK here.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw

I used to think this was the coolest pokemon ever, back in Gen 6. As of now, I'm a fan of it as a secondary Steel type on this team that can deal with many of Bisharp's weaknesses and some other mons. I often wonder if it's not a bit redundant with some of my other mons tho. I also always seem to get the Air Balloon popped before I can actually use him against a ground-type. Idk if that's because I use him badly or because of some problem with my team construction, so feedback there would be appreciated.

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Spirit Break

Dual screens with Prankster gets me a lot of value to help my setup sweepers stay alive, especially those like Hawlucha with a more complicated setup phase. I also appreciate having a strong Fairy-type attack on the team, as if he doesn't get slaughtered while putting up screens this guy can be an effective way to deal with Hydreigon. The prevalence of Steel-types around the meta seems to make this a bit of a liability however, as even with screens he does seem to get slaughtered a fair bit.

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Sky Attack
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat

I miss the days when you could use the Tapus to enable this guy, but he's still a force to be reckoned with, especially with screens to protect his setup phase. He is also no longer tied down by Tapus, although he's now kind of tied down by Grimmsnarl. That said, Sky Attack is awesome as a setup tool (when it doesn't miss) and Acrobatics-Close Combat is as powerful a STAB combo as ever. I'm not always good enough at the game to know when I can safely setup and sweep, however, so that's a problem.

Zeraora @ Magnet
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Play Rough
- Grass Knot

Too many steel types, too many Corviknights, too many Seismitoads that think they can switch into any pokemon on my team without fear. Zeraora is basically just here to kill everything the rest of my team cant. Also Clefable, because screw Clefable. I often wonder if the fact that I need this pokemon indicates that there are radical problems with the rest of my team, as using an Electric-type to deal with Ground-types is a bit counterintuitive. I really like how strong Plasma Fists is though, and the speed control certainly helps.

Hi there, you've done a really great job on building your first team. There's a couple things I'd change if I were to use the team:
1. Mew - consider running Red Card as it would give you a soft check to a sweeper and take advantage of your hazards. I would also go with Flamethrower or Fire Blast instead of Flare Blitz to keep you unaffected by Intimidate, Iron Barbs and the recoil damage.
2. Zeraora - the move-set is brilliant with the 4 moves you have, but I would advise running Life Orb to increase the damage output you get.
3. Aegislash - I actually have this very set, but with Close Combat instead of Shadow Claw because it gives me a means to deal with Excadrill (so you don't get swept by sand).
the rest of your mons I wouldn't change the sets. That said if you find Grimmsnarl to be ineffective at setting screens for your set-up you can always try Alolan Ninetales.
Let me know if your have any questions about what I put; I'd be happy to help!

Doesn't Red Card preclude you from putting up more than one hazard like 99% of the time? All they have to do to stop you from putting down more hazards is hit you? And often prevents you from putting down even one if they're faster?

I have Flare Blitz bc it OHKOs lead Ferrothorn (even being special-based I don't think Flamethrower does) and has better accuracy than Fire Blast. IDK if that's worth it...

I've had Zeraora get worn down a lot even without Life Orb, and Magnet still gets me a stupidly strong STAB move, so IDK if it's worth it. That said I've had grass knot narrowly miss the kill on Seismitoad enough times to take your point.

Thanks a lot for the help! It's highly appreciated :)

No problem. With regards to Zeraora if you really don't want to run Life Orb then maybe it would be best to invest more EVs in SpA. How much investment you put in would come down to some calcs and maybe trial & error. Or maybe even the Expert Belt.

When I use the Red Card lead Mew and my opponent leads Ferrothorn, though I don't actually have an attack on the Mew (Skill Swap instead) I just Taunt it, because hazards are primarily the thing that Ferro wants to do. And though the Red Card switches it out you have Close Combat on 2 of your mons above, and Bisharp resists its stab.

I'm more concerned that that denies me the chance to put up hazards of my own.

Also Ferro that's taunted will just switch out, which means I then have to play against Ferrothorn. I hate playing against Ferrothorn, especially since all Ferrothorn users always know when to switch it in and out 100% of the time. The idea is kill it T1 before it knows I can OHKO it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)