First UU RMT

Okay guys, I'm relatively new and been doing a fair few UU battles [my favourite tier (: ] and finally decided to post a RMT. Hopefully I'll do this right

AT A GLANCE

My team is centred around getting hazard entry up as soon as possible, then proceed to phazing and forcing switches! Hopefully this team shall be interesting enough for you guys (I'll try to keep analysis short) and most of the analysis comes from my battling experiences.

In Depth Analysis

POSITION: Lead
Glalie @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4Hp 252ATK 252SPEED
Nature: Jolly (+SPEED -spATK)
- Taunt
- Ice Shard
- Spikes
- Explosion

The idea here is to Taunt slower spike/SR leads (such as Cloyster (non anti-leading variants) or Omastar) and proceed to set up layers of spikes. Taunt on Glalie seems to be unexpected/forgotten so most players (assumed) will try to go for setting up.
Explosion is there to dent/take down a pokemon when Glalie has done it's job, able to highly damage walls such as spD Weezing or Ded/spDMilotic hoping to absorb ice damage.
Ice Shard is more of a filler move to combat against Swellow after it's protecting 1st turn, but doesn't really serve any other purpose. Otherwise, it can be used to revenge kill Sceptile and Leafeon, particularly SDer and Flail variants.
Focus Sash + Inner Focus allows me to set up at least 1 layer of spikes against stronger antileads such as Ambipom or Arcanine, but it can't do anything else against them besides instantly exploding :L
Note: Glalie is somewhat bulky and was wondering if I should go for bulky spread instead?

POSITION: Spinblocker/spDEF wall/Pursuit trapper
Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 200Hp 56ATK 252spDEF
Nature: Careful (+spDEF -spATK)
- Sucker Punch
- Pain Split
- Will of Wisp
- Pursuit

My counter against rapid spinners, and does particularly well against Donphan. Takes neutral damage from Assurance, and is able to burn it rendering it harmless. It stops non-Foresight carrying Hitmontop where Stone Edge and Bullet Punch is all it can muster.
As most rapid spinners are physical type, the idea here is to switch in on rapid spin, burn, then Pain Split off damage hopefully forcing a switch at this point.
This Spiritomb is of a physical variant, and supposed to act dual roles. Pursuit trap Psychic types, particulary Espeon who's best hope is Hidden Power Fire/Signal Beam, or Pain Split other special/physical walls such as Milotic. I could pass the HP EVs into DEF to get 'more' out of painsplit, but with 241 HP, Spiritomb lacks the abillity to take repeated hits. The extra attack EVs allows a chance to OHKO sweeping variants of Mismagius and Alakazam without Reflect+SR up
Note: My main concern is that Spiritomb isn't mixed but it does spread status and annoys with painsplit, so maybe that remedies it?

POSITION: Phazing
Sceptile @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 116ATTK 252spATK 140SPEED
Nature: Naive (+SPEED -spDEF)
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- HP Ice

Sceptile's role is simply shut down walls or cause switches. As a fast SubSeeder, Leech Seed means that if they stay in....I'll essentially never die. If they switch out, say hello to entry hazards!
This set is a slight tweak to the SubSeeder standard set, and it allows me to be slightly mixed in terms of offence. The speed EVs allows me enough to outspeed Jolly Maxed Speed Scyther and other 105 (and lower) base Speed pokes (something that Venusaur and Tangrowth can't do)
Substitute allows me to safely fire Focus Punches that dents spDEF walls that still think I'm carrying Leaf Storm but otherwise it's mostly a filler, something to do behind Sub.
HP Ice is too stop flying and grass types that try to wall Leech Seed, but HP Psychic does well too against Weezing and Venusaur.
Note: The lack of stab can be a problem (haven't faced one yet though)...maybe Leaf Blade instead of Focus??

POSITION: Wallbreaker/Revenge Killer
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4ATTK 252spATK 252SPEED
Nature: Mild (+spATK -spDEF)
- Vacuum Wave
- Thunder Punch/SuperPower
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass

Mixed Priority set blatantly stolen from the site. Anyways...
Oh boy, this thing is quite slow. Still, with Vacuum Wave I am able to KO Toxic/Flame Orb Guts-activated Ursaring with/without SR/Spikes up and revenge kill other pokes. It does have some trouble with Kabutops though, depending on the set and Speed spread Vacuum Wave hits first but Aqua Jet hurts Blaziken. A lot.
Thunder Punch is to prevent myself being completely walled by Moltres and maybe score more damage on spDEF Milotic. However, Superpower ensures KO on Clefable and Chansey. ????
Fire Blast has decent accuracy and is the crux of the set. Hidden Power Grass is to take down particularly Ground types that try to scare Blaziken away, Donphan is KOed with Blaziken taking little damage from Ice Shard, Whishcash(not after DD, because it'll outspeed me) and Quagsire take 4x damage! :)

POSITION: Special Sweeper
Espeon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4HP 252spATK 252SPEED
Nature: Timid (+SPEED -ATK)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Baton Pass

Yeaaaah, the major drawback to this is that it relies on Glalie to keep SR/Spikes off the field. Otherwise Focus Sash is useless.
Espeon acts as the pure special sweeper, and it hurts a lot of pokes that switch into it, barring dark types.
Calm Mind with Focus Sash allows me to Baton Pass at least +1buff to Blaziken or Sceptile, if no priority moves were used. Also it allows me to play mind games to Pursuit/Sucker Punch trappers such as Spiritomb and Absol, but otherwise I escape unscratched with Baton Pass. Blaziken would be the next switch in, able to hurt Absol with VW or Spiritomb with FB.
Psychic is it's powerful stab and along with Signal Beam it's able to hit neutral or Super Effective on non-steel type pokes.
Espeon sorta acts as a 'status absorber' because it passes status to poke, and this tactic sorta does well with Will-o-Wisps.
Note: Focus Sash is what ensures a survival if I screw up because Espeon is quite fragile....but it does have it's drawback mentioned above. Maybe Life Orb???

POSITION: Phaze/Physical Wall
SolidSnake @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252HP 4DEF 252spDEF
Nature: Sassy (+spDEF -SPEED)
- Stealth Rocks
- Roar
- Explosion
- Gyroball

Set stolen from site again.
Maybe I should've mentioned Steelix earlier....He's my SR setter upperer and acts as a physical wall with enough spDEF to survive surfs from +spDEF Lanturn for example. Sassy nature is to increase Gyroball damage which is it's only form of hurting.
Roar on the otherhand forces switches and racks up a lot of entry hazard damage. As they switch into an appropriate counter, Roar will send them back in forcing them to take more damage upon entry again.
Explosion again is to take down poke when HP is low, but probably can be switched with EQ or something???
That's all Steelix does...besides being a cool check against Ambipom (without Low Kick) and Swellow . It also stops pokemon such as Spirtomb, Uxie and Registeel from buffing up Calm Mind+Curse respectively

Well that's my team, I'll probably post a thorough threat checklist later but hope you guys can give me feedback (good and/or bad) on the team. I am willing to swap out any poke.

Espeon is good, but Alakazam is probably better, and Alakazam a good anti-lead. Therefore, Alakazam could take Glalie's spot, and some other useful pokemon, possibly rapid spinner, or water type for F/W/G core could be used. Blastoise is good.

The only compromise is that you dont get your hazards up as soon.

Here are the sets.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature (+Spd,-Atk)
4Hp/252SpA/252Spd
Psychic
Taunt
Signal Beam
Focus Blast

Psychic STAB, Inner Focus to attack after Ambipom fake out, Signal Beam for Uxie and Mesprit. You can use Destiny Bond in one of the slots to take their lead out if you can't (Spiritomb).

Blastoise@Leftovers
252Hp/252Def/4SpA
Bold (+Def,-Atk)
Surf
Rapid Spin
Toxic/Yawn
Ice Beam/Protect

He can rapid spin, and Blastoise is bulky. Toxic and Yawn to stall or phaze, and Ice Beam for attack, or Protect to scout. Up to you.

Last but not least, I suggest you revise your moves on Sceptile. If you want a mixed attack after a SubSeed, I suggest using X-Scissor and Leaf Storm. Its more effective, and doesn't need to rely on your substitute to be up.

This looks like a very solid and capable team, however there is a few minor changes i would sugest.

Change your glalie to a Omastar. This has alot more advantages.
1). It completes a f/w/g core which is very good in the UU metagame.
2).Omastar has access to Stealthrock witch will free a spot for Stonedge of Earthquake on Steelix.
3). Omastar has much better defences and a very nice special attack.

Try this:

Omastar @ Leftovers
Trait: Shell Armour
EVs: 252hp / 176def / 80spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam

That is the standard Utillity Omastar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)