XY OU First X/Y OU Team

Hello! After taking a break from Pokemon during X/Y's release, I decided to get back into Pokemon. This is my first team I've created(I've watched battles, so I have a decent understanding of the metagame). Please tell me your opinion on changes you think would help my team. I'm currently 9-2 Thanks!

Building Process

I wanted to build a team around Mega-Absol. Extremely strong attacks, and utility of magic bounce, is what lured me.

Mega Absol needs an offensive teammate. Talonflame can revenge kill fighting types, plus priority brave bird anyone who wants to set up on Absol

Both pokemon are suspectable to status conditions. Sylveon was just the right addition.

We needed someone to phase out pokemon trying to setup on Sylveon. Enter Skarmory

Every team needs a choice scarfer. My team is also weak to electric, so Thundurus-T meshes.

My final pokemon needed to be an all around good fit. Gengar can status as well as hit hard.

The Team

@ Absolite
Ability:Magic Bounce
Ev's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
Naive Nature(+Spe -Spd)
Sucker Punch
Knockoff
Superpower
Fire Blast

Mega Absol packs a huge punch, and is normally brought in once I'm guaranteed a safe switch. Sucker Punch is standard, allowing Absol to become a potent revenge killer. Knockoff is the "main" attack, bringing monstrous STAB power, along with removing an item. Superpower is to crush Chansey and Heatran, once prior damage has been done upon them. Fire Blast is solely for Ferrothorn and Skarmory. While certainly holding the capability of sweeping teams, the main priority of Absol, is to revenge kill. Magic Bounce is an excellent ability to further protect an excellent pokemon.

@ Leftovers
Ability:Gale Wings
Ev's: 248 Hp, 252 SpD, 8 Spe
Careful Nature(+SpD - SpA)
Brave Bird
Roost
Taunt
Bulk Up

Talonflame has the ability to sweep unprepared teams, with Bulk Up. Brave Bird is my main STAB 120 BP move, denting anything switching in. Roost is to recover any damage taken during my barrage of Brave Birds. Taunt I've found is EXTREMELY useful on Talonflame: whenever a support pokemon is sent in, it's virtually an extra turn to set up. Bulk up is the most important move on my set, allowing Talonflame to tank physical hits better, while skyrocketing damage potential. I've debated on running choice band, life orb, or leftovers, and I've found that Bulk up catches people off guard. It can be used as a lead(to stop hazards), or a pokemon to set up an unsuspecting sweep. My only concern is the ev's: running a bulky spread allows me to set up more bulk up's, but lacks first turn power.

@ Leftovers
Ability:Pixelate
Ev's: 252 Hp, 220 Def, 36 Spd
Bold Nature(+Def -Atk)
Wish
Protect
Hyper Voice
Heal Bell

Sylveon is the tank, cleric, and overall the glue to my team. Wish is to pass 197 HP to itself or a teammate. Protect acts as a scouting tool, or to guarantee the wish to work upon itself. Hypervoice along with Pixelate is a strong STAB move which is used so that Sylveon is not taunt bait. Heal bell finishes off the cleric set with the useful tool of clearing status conditions. Sylveon can stop choice dragon users right in their track, or simply soak up damage for my team. Sylveon is probably the most important member of my team. I invested alot of EV's into defense, because it's SpD is already extremely high. Sylveon has synergy with the rest of my team besides the obvious cleric factor. Greninja? Sylveon hard counters. Opposing Absol? Sylveon can wall. The tools Sylveon has cannot be understated.

@ Leftovers
Ability:Sturdy
Ev's: 252 Hp, 212 Def, 44 SpD
Impish Nature(+Def -Spa)
Whirlwind
Defog
Roost
Brave Bird

Skarmory is the support pokemon, phazing threats, while making sure hazards are off the field. Whirlwind is needed as pokemon such as SD Scizor, DD Gyarados are hard to handle. Defog guarantees that hazards will remain off the field, as Talonflame becomes useless without this.
Roost increases longevity, and keeps study in tact. Brave bird makes sure that Skarmory is not taunt bait, and to pick off low health targets. Pokemon that set up are what Skarmory likes to see, stopping these pokemon immediately. I personally did not set the current Ev's for a specific reason, I just wanted to make sure that special attacks aren't an automatic 1 hit KO. Once again, there's synergy between the team: Thundurus-T soaks up electric attacks aimed at Skarmory, Skarmory stomach's attacks aimed at Thundurus-T. I'm pretty happy with the set, however a mixed EV spread is welcomed.

@ Choice Scarf
Ability:Volt Absorb
Ev's: 252 Spe, 252 Spa, 4 Hp
Timid Nature(+Spe - Atk)
Volt Switch
ThunderBolt
Hidden Power Ice
Focus Blast

Thundurus-T is the scarfer, creating momentum for my team, while hitting extremely hard. Volt Switch is absolutely critical for momentum purposes. Thunderbolt is a stronger option for late game cleanup, where staying in is essential. Hidden power ice nails Landorus-T, Gliscor, and any dragons for high damage. Focus blast does extreme damage to Bisharp, and is my main tool for hitting steel types. I didn't have a "switching move" on the team, so I debated between Landorus-T or Thundurus-T. Thundurus-T has 101 base speed, which means he outpaces most choice Thundurus-T is fantastic at switching in on regular Thundurus, healing off his electric attacks. From what I've seen in my games, Thundurus-T is a fantastic, underrated pokemon.

@ Black Sludge
Ability:Levitate
Ev's: 28 Hp, 148 Spa, 80 SpD, 252 Spe
Timid Nature(+Spe - Atk)
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Taunt
Will-o-Wisp

Gengar is my main lead, shutting down enemy leads, while becoming an extremely annoying special attacker. Substitute prevents any sort of status condition from inflicting Gengar. Shadow ball is the main STAB attack, coming off a base 130 Spa. Taunt completely shuts down most leads, and allows Gengar to set up a sub after doing so. Will-o-Wisp shuts down physical attackers once I'm behind my substitute, assisting my team for the rest of the game. I debated a sub-disable set, but I think permanent attack debuff on my opponent was greater priority. I took the Ev's off the smogon set, which gives small bulk, allowing me to live some neutral attacks. While not a flashy pokemon, Gengar certain can dismantle a team.

Facts about team

2 forms of priority(Talonflame, Absol)
4 Ground immunities(Talonflame, Thundurus-T, Skarmory, Gengar)
2 Taunters(Talonlame, Gengar)
101 base speed choice scarfer(Thundurus-T)
"Switching" move(Thundurus-T)
Will-o-wisp(Gengar)
2 Tanks(Sylveon, Skarmory)
Phazing move(Skarmory)
3 healing moves(Talonflame, Sylveon, Skarmory)
4 ways of stopping hazards(Talonflame, Gengar, Absol, Skarmory)

Here's all of my weaknesses/immunities. Please leave your criticism!

things.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)