Fledgling Eagle

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone. I am relatively new to NU, and now with the round ending, and with Shadow Tag Gothitelle released, I feel that this team is not in tip-top shape. Also, right now I am in a battle rut, and can't seem to make a decent team.

This was my first serious NU team. I was browsing the NU analyses and saw that Braviary needed an update. To possibly test a LO set, or SubRoost set. I tried the SubRoost and it didn't work well with my team, or I didn't use it well; however, the Life Orb set worked wonders for me, and even better than the CB set. I wanted the core to be Duosion and Gurdurr paired with Braviary.

I peaked at 15th on the PS! ladder under the alt McAfee'swag. And now the ladder is a bit messed up.

Cradily @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Toxic

I am really surprised that Cradily isn't used more often, this prehistoric thing is awesome. Cradily was the last member on the team, and I tried everything from Golem to Seismitoad, and Cradily has worked very well, covering my Water-type weakness. On that note, a few players even tried using Water-type attacks, which proved fruitful since with Storm Drain Water-type attacks just raise its Special Attack. Cradily is a bulky tank on both sides, it can even take an Ice Beam from an unboosted Gorebyss! The EVs ensure that Cradily can take hits as well as possible. Stealth Rock is a necessity, as it damages many Pokemon for just switching in. Giga Drain is way better than Energy Ball, sure the damage output is lower, but Cradily is no offensive powerhouse, and the health replenished from Giga Drain is nice. Recover allows Cradily to take hits all day, as long as it avoids a Toxic. Cradily also has Toxic since Giga Drain is useless sometimes against certain Pokemon. I forwent Hidden Power Fire and Rock since Grass-types are handled well with Braviary and Emboar, and Flying-types Pokemon aren't too much trouble.

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Recover

Ahh Duosion, usually left behind in favor of Gardevoir and Musharna. Duosion is one part of my core, which is a balanced offensive core. With Magic Guard, I can come in on Toxic usually thrown at Cradily, and it won't do anything courtesy of Magic Guard. Calm Mind helps Duosion become a real powerhouse, and hit things hit when it really gets going. I used Psychic and Hidden Power Fighting as my coverage, since opposing Psychic-types aren't much of a problem if I play with Skuntank right. Recover helps Duosion make up for lack of recovery, and lets me come in on powerful Fighting-type attacks.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback

I can't believe how underused Gurdurr is! Especially since he can take on most physical attacks, and health some health back with Drain Punch. Also, I used a more defensive spread, to be able to take on physical attackers better. Gurdurr also gives me valuable priority with Mach Punch, and also forms my "double priority" core with Skuntank. Bulk Up means that the longer Gurdurr stays out the harder it will be to beat him, unless the opponent targets his weaker Special Defense. Drain Punch is STAB, and heals Gurdurr back to health. Mach Punch is needed priortiy to take Linoone, Cinccino, or any rampant sweeper thats been weakened. I wanted Payback to be able to hit Ghost-types on the switch, and also by my large fear of Haunter.

Braviary @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Roost

Braviary one crazy bird, able to dish pain out like no other. I personally believe that this set is better than the Choice Band set, because it doesn't need as much support since it can heal itself with Roost. The EVs lets Braviary come into SR 4 times. With Life Orb Braviary has a needed power to 2KO some defensive threats; however, Braviary did get weakened a bit to quickly with LO, Brave Bird recoil, and SR around, but Roost has the surprise factor and healed it well. Superpower lets Braviary smash the stupid Normal-types and maim the Rock-types from walling me. Finally, I chose U-Turn rather than Return because I always liked scouting what the opponent would do once Braviary was one.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Crunch

I love this skunk right here. Skuntank is an awesome bulk trapper. My fear of SubDisable Haunter fueled choosing Skuntank, because of a checkmate position. With Pursuit, Sucker Punch, and Crunch Skuntank proved to be an excellent teammate especially with Gurdurr luring Ghost-types out. I like Taunt to cripple defensive Pokemon, and then force them to attack and take a Sucker Punch, or flee and take a Pursuit. Black Sludge is a good item for those stupid Trickers who think they're really smart. Aftermath is retribution to anyone who KOs Skuntank.

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Head Smash

I love Emboar, except that its way too slow! I'm surprised that I don't see more Choice Scarfed Emboar, although it is not too fast, even with Choice Scarf, but its fast enough. The Choice Band set lacks the Speed for my liking, and LO set is also too slow. Flare Blitz is a STAB that hurts anything not resist to it, and surprises many people who think their Pokemon is faster. Superpower is secondary STAB that I rarely use, but every now and then I hit a Normal-type Pokemon. Wild Charge is a coverage move that lets me hit Water-type Pokemon. Head Smash lets me hit Flying-and Fire-type Pokemon.

The biggest problem I had are fast Water-type with Ice Beam, such as ShellSmash Gorebyss.

I have other problems as well, such as Spike Stacking teams, but I can usually take advantage of the free turns while they are setting Spikes up.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
This team has no Flying-type resists, and therefore is automatically weak to Swellow and Choice Band Braviary. Cradily cannot take repeated U-Turns and Brave Bird while the rest of your team are all either OHKO'ed or 2HKO'ed. I would suggest running Golem—who is a great check to Flying-types—over Cradily. You still retain a Stealth Rock user and Electric-type switch-in.

This opens up your team even more to Gorebyss and other Water-types. I would suggest replacing Emboar with Ludicolo since you already have Gurdurr to handle Dark-types and Braviary or Skuntank to handle Grass-types. Ludicolo is one of the best counters to Water-types in the tier due to it's quadruple resistance to the type and neutrality to Ice Beam and Hidden Power Grass / Grass Knot. A simple Offensive Rain Dance set will fit this team's offensive nature well.

Summary of changes:

Cradily —> Golem
Emboar —> Ludicolo

Golem @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Cool team, but it's definitely quite weak to Water type attackers since you lack a Water-type resistance besides Cradily (which with its current spread can't take Ice Beam from pokemon like Gorebyss, Ludicolo, or Megahorns from Samurott). Something you could do to fix this would be using Ludicolo instead of Cradily. Ludicolo is a great check to Specially-based Water-type Pokemon thanks to its good bulk and neutrality to Ice, making it a great Gorebyss check. With a bulky spread, Ludicolo can act as a check to opposing Offensive Ludicolo (another big threat to your team), ensures it's not getting KOd by Life Orb Gorebyss after Stealth Rock, as well as being a good check to rain sweepers like Floatzel or Huntail in general. Here's the set:

Ludicolo@Leftovers | Swift Swim
Modest Nature | 252 HP / 152 SpA / 104 SpD
Giga Drain / Scald / Synthesis / Toxic

However, you're losing your Stealth Rock settler with this change. Since your team is weak to SpikeStacking teams, the best way to fix this would be using Piloswine as your Stealth Rock settler, preferably over Emboar. Piloswine can beat most hazards settlers in the tier (like Garbodor or Golem) while having a priority move to pick up fast opponents and acting as a good Electric-type pokemon check as well. Piloswine is also really bulky on the physical side, which means it can usually take a hit from opponents like Cinccino or Klang and retaliating back.

Piloswine@Eviolite | Thick Fat
Adamant Nature | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Icicle Crash / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Ice Shard

Hope I helped!

Edit: ninja'd by FLCL :P

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty nice team you have here. Nice to see someone using Duosion, despite it being pretty outclassed by Musharna. Not sure why you aren't afraid of Flyers, since they really hurt you badly. Water types are also a given as well. But I'll start with the small stuff since FLCL and DestinyUnknown gave you some good options already.

Gurdurr doesn't really need Payback since you already have Skuntank for Ghosts and Psychics. Ice Punch would hurt Flyers more, and anything you can do to deter something like Braviary from switching in is a good thing. It still lets you hit the Psychic and Ghost types for neutral damage, and does a good chuck to Golurk, who you don't really want to take too many hits from (it basically 2HKOs your entire team except for Cradily). It lets you hit Exeggutor on the switch, who can otherwise inflict some serious harm to your team and can Sleep Powder Skuntank to boot.

Scarf Emboar isn't a bad Pokemon per se, it's just not fast enough to take the role of your team's revenge killer well. Without its wallbreaking power, Emboar isn't actually that hard to tank hits from. Ludicolo has been mentioned already as a great replacement, with Cradily being replaced by either Golem or Piloswine. I would probably say that DU's Piloswine is the better Stealth Rock user because of Ice Shard, while FLCL's Ludicolo set is more helpful to the offensive nature of your team (Swanna becomes somewhat of a good check to your team no matter what combination you choose, but it's not common enough to really worry about).

My brain is going blank right now, so I'll leave this rate at that. If I think of anything else, I'll mention it another time. Good luck with your team and laddering! :)

Changes:

Gurdurr: Ice Punch>Payback
Piloswine>Cradily
FLCL's Ludicolo> Emboar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)