Format for the next Diplomacy game

Which format should be used for the next Diplomacy game below? (See OP for info)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
So, as some of you may know, I want to host another Diplomacy game. However, I am not quite sure about the best way to go about it. So, I have decided to ask you guys what format to use for the next game. I have given an explanation of each of the different formats (the poll choices) below:

• Standard - This is pretty much your standard game of Diplomacy, which we have played for a majority of the games here (See the links to games 1-3 in the information box at the end of the post).
  • Anonymous - The rules are the same as standard, but the identities (the players assigned to each country) are unknown. This was the format used in Earthworm's previous game.
  • Gunboat - A popular variant on php, this variant allows NO COMMUNICATION between the players whatsoever. Here, the moves you make are your only method of conducting Diplomacy, so it is arguably more suited for experienced players.
  • Tag Team - A solution for enabling large numbers of players to join a single game. This is a common occurrence for me when I play face to face (real life) games. Basically, there are 14 players instead of 7 (ideally), and the players will be assigned teammates based on their experience level (kind of like partner mafia) to make the game more fair. Only really necessary if you want to play a game with a lot of people.
  • Other - If you are interested in trying another variant not listed here, please provide a link or some reasonable explanation, and why you think it is the best choice.

Remember, if you are not interested in playing, please don't vote as I will choose the format that has the most votes. And if you are interested in Diplomacy but don't know where to start, please refer to the information box below. Finally, you are free to discuss your opinions on each of the formats until the poll closes. I will leave it open for at least 3 days.

About The Game:

Diplomacy is game about making alliances, breaking alliances, and reforming old alliances to better your number of supply centers in the game. Playing the deaf mute will only get you so far before another country decides you are not worth the spaces you comprise of and crushes you for your land. You have to negotiate with other nations if you want to win. You must tell the whole truth and nothing but it while lying through your teeth to succeed in this game. Feelings will be hurt and grudges will be formed. Friends can be enemies, and enemies can be friends. Make your stab and pray it doesn't backfire.

A player is eliminated from the game when they no longer control any supply centers. Alternatively, a player can choose to forfeit (But that is lame and sissy and I will make sure you are made fun of for it!). This will leave his/her pieces on the board where they will hold or idle during every turn. Victory is achieved by a single player controlling 18 of the 34 supply centers OR if all of the remaining players agree to a tie. Diplomacy has 3 phases. Since this is online, you can talk to other nations any time you wish. The game begins in Spring of the year 1901 where you issue your first orders. After that turn is Fall 1901 and you issue your second round of orders. And finally the year ends in Winter 1901 where you either add or subtract to your total number of supply centers and in turn your army depending on how many you captured or lossed in Fall. Then the year begins anew with Spring 1902.

Even though this is a game of Diplomacy, you are never required to honor any promises you made to any nation. You are always out for yourself.

Rules
(these are not all the rules, please check the rulebook for further reading):
  • All units have the same strength
  • No two units may occupy the same space at the same time
  • An Army can be ordered to move into an adjacent inland or coastal province
  • A Fleet can be ordered to move to an adjacent water province or coastal province
  • Winter is a very short phase where players may only build or disband
  • You can only build in your Home Supply Centers
  • You cannot pass through Switzerland.
The following are not rules but are heavily discouraged

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gunboat sounds pretty cool, but also I think perhaps playing a "less standard" Winter 1900 game would be kind of fun. I'd be interested to see how well an all Army Austria performs... or a 2 fleet Italy.

The only real option for everyone outside the regular crowd is tag team, so you may just want to consider if you want a theme on top of the tag team or eliminate it as an option all together.

Yeah, I voted Tag Team too. I played Diplomacy once online, but I didn't completely grasp the game, and felt it was boring. But, if I could play with someone who knows the game, maybe I could enjoy it a bit more.

I'd like to learn diplomacy with the tag team system, maybe try one tag team game to see if there are enough people for it?

Isn't one of the whole points of the game Diplomacy? So how would gunboat preserve that? Anyway, how many of us are actually experts?

Anonymous: It works, but, um, I'd rather have fast communication always.

Standard: tried and true.

Tag team: how would this be done? What I mean here is, who would be in charge? Would it be one guy leading, one guy learning, spying, or learning/spying, or both playing? Anyway, more players could work, but ... I want to try Standard, build up experience.

What I'm suggesting is, if possible, 2 games side-by-side, with no one in both. Yes, I know this is unlikely, but look at how many of us have voted on this. It would be better than both Standard (2 > 1), and better than tag team. Anyway, I voted Standard.

EDIT: another variant is no outside communication. All conversations must be in the main thread. I would like to try that, too.

I think the best choice would be tag team. This is because more people would get to play and people who know the rules and haven't played a game yet won't be totally lost on what is a good move and a bad move. Also, tag team might also help out the experienced player. Their teammate could suggest things they didn't previously see and they would both grow as skilled players.

I would certainly like a tag team version as well, since I'm really interested in trying this and would like to learn from someone with more experience, but I can see the draw from Gunboat for the more experienced players, since it throws a whole new wrench into the fold. Still, I'm voting for tag team, it would be nice to get new players into the fold and I would definitely like to be one of those new players.

Voted Tag Team, so I can learn how to play. Sounds like a really fun game, quite similar to one I am in on a different forum. Either way, though, sounds like fun, and willing to learn.

Oh, I just realized: If we play gunboat (unlikely, given the poll results as of right now), then anonymous simultaneously would be great for enforcement.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Here's the current plan. Since Tag Team is the most popular by the landslide, we will certainly start one very shortly (it will be hosted by billymills most likely). However, since the demand for gunboat is also fairly high, I will be willing to host that as well concurrently with the Tag Team game. Although some have suggested doing the two in one game, I think that would ruin the purpose since Tag Team is meant to help newer players, and gunboat doesn't do this at all. Expect the signups for both games coming up shortly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)