Rules Forum Rules and Simple Questions/Answers

There isn't one just yet. So far we only have two finished analyses on the Strategy Dex which are for Aegislash and Mimikyu. You can check out the forum where we work on them here to see if something you want to use is being written. Alternatively, I've loaded a whole bunch of movesets for nearly all the top mons into our damage calculator so you could possibly find what you need there. If there's a Pokemon you want to know about specifically you could try asking in this thread, our PS chatroom, or Discord channel! Or even send me a PM if you need.
The damage calculator is really neat! However, I noticed status moves aren't listed. For exmaple, I was looking for a moveset for Glalie. The moveset listed there had Sheer Cold, Freeze-Dry, Frost Breath, and mystery 4th move. How would I know what that 4th move is? I assume it's not listed because it's not necessary for the damage calculator but is it shown in the source code or something?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This spread is for the demo only, but it is modified (and can be reseted) when Greninja is transfered. From my personal experience, 0IV Atk Ash-Greninja have been accepted on both Pokémon Showdown and Battle Spot Special 1 on the games.
No it isn't. The only thing that isn't locked on the Greninja is the nature. It's IVs are completely locked into what Theorymon said.

Therefore any hidden power besides ghost and/or an atk iv of 0 is impossible on Ash Greninja. Just because the hack check sucks it doesn't mean it's allowed.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Best porygon2 nature ability and spread?
I would argue there isn't any "best" Porygon2 build. P2 does what you need it to for your team. If you don't have a physical wall, do that. If you need a special wall do that instead. If you want a bulky tank give that a go. It depends more on your team than what P2 does best, and that's why it's used so much and is so good.

Best porygon2 nature ability and spread?
I would argue there isn't any "best" Porygon2 build. P2 does what you need it to for your team. If you don't have a physical wall, do that. If you need a special wall do that instead. If you want a bulky tank give that a go. It depends more on your team than what P2 does best, and that's why it's used so much and is so good.
I agree with what you said, cant say; it's situational. However, Porygon2's base Special Defense is higher than its base Defense, so if you'd have to choose for optimality stat-wise I'd personally go for a specially defensive wall.

Last edited:
I agree with what you said, cant say; it's situational. However, Porygon2's base Special Defense is higher that its base Defense, so if you'd have to choose for optimality stat-wise I'd personally go for a specially defensive wall.
They're only 5 apart and both become extraordinarily high thanks to Eviolite, so that's a miniscule consideration compared to team needs.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought legendaries were banned from battle spot; why are the rankings full of them?
The legends that appear on the cover of the games (like xern and yveltal), legends that are in the same group as them (like necrozma and rayquaza), and legends that are only obtainable through events (like Ash greninja and Magearna) are banned.

UBs, tapus, genies, kanto birds etc are legends but they are allowed.

There's no "Alola Born" rule for this gen, isn't there?

I mean, you can't get a regular Raichu/Exeggutor as long you are in Alola, you can use both of these just if they are from past games.
This just to let understand, it's not this the point.
Do you think we can use every pokemon without marks as "Kalos born", "Hoenn Born" or "Alola born" after the pokébank?
So we can use every Pokémon, even events like Refresh Salamence, Cotton Guard (Mega) Banette or Sheer Cold Suicune?

Heatran, Entei, etc will we can use them?
Or GF will be like "we don't care anything if you can use even normal mons like Regular Raichu/Exeggutor"?

There's no "Alola Born" rule for this gen, isn't there?

I mean, you can't get a regular Raichu/Exeggutor as long you are in Alola, you can use both of these just if they are from past games.
This just to let understand, it's not this the point.
Do you think we can use every pokemon without marks as "Kalos born", "Hoenn Born" or "Alola born" after the pokébank?
So we can use every Pokémon, even events like Refresh Salamence, Cotton Guard (Mega) Banette or Sheer Cold Suicune?

Heatran, Entei, etc will we can use them?
Or GF will be like "we don't care anything if you can use even normal mons like Regular Raichu/Exeggutor"?
I'm pretty sure this has been asked like 100 times but I'm gonna try to be really clear. You can use any Pokemon that's been caught or bred in a Gen 6 or 7 game. So any mon from XY-SM will be legal after Bank, unless TPCi decides to do something different.

Anything from BW2 or older will not be legal on Battle Spot.

I'm pretty sure this has been asked like 100 times but I'm gonna try to be really clear. You can use any Pokemon that's been caught or bred in a Gen 6 or 7 game. So any mon from XY-SM will be legal after Bank, unless TPCi decides to do something different.

Anything from BW2 or older will not be legal on Battle Spot.
Oh, lol sorry, forgive my laziness.
Ok, so no event, but heatran, latios, entei and co. will be usable if the mon is from gen 6.
Thanks.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm pretty new to battle spot, and competitive pokemon in general. My main problem is that I'm bad at teambuilding. Usually, I always get to 3-4 pokemon and then don't know what to do after that. On the rare occasion that I do get past the team building process, I fail horribly with the team. Also, battling in this new gen, I realized I don't know what a lot of the new additions do. Are there resources and/or tutorials that I can use to get better at this process? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Use teams already built by other people first. Battle with them save the replays and then watch them, seeing what works and what doesn't and why they work or don't work. Learn the meta and learn what threats you have to check and what threats check your Pokémon. Put Pokémon on your team that synergize well with your other pokemon, such as a fire, water, grass core which cover each other's weaknesses. The team options section in the smogon dex analysis are very useful for getting an idea of synergy. Don't try to pick EVs and natures for yourself until your very experienced, use proven sets. Do your research and scroll through the smogon dex just looking at Pokémon, that really helped me when I first started playing and I still use it all the time

The only thing I can tell you from there is to practice. It's all about learning the meta and thinking a couple steps ahead of your opponent and it all starts at team building. You won't be able to build teams until you have a good grasp on the meta and competitive Pokémon in general but just keep trying

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
God, luckily Sheer Cold got a nerf. In ORAS Bss there was a season where Sheer Cold Suicune was allowed, what a nightmare. Lol
I skipped that season and stayed on Special. Defensive Sheer Cold Suicune is a nightmare, and now that it isn't locked to a Relaxed nature, the AV set can be faster and could potentially replace Mirror Coat. Thank goodness it was nerfed.

Anybody have a good Araquanid set? I know it's liquidation hits incredibly hard in the rain but I don't know what to invest in or what to run as a set

I personally wouldn't use it as something you would build a rain team around. It's really slow, is hard countered by the relatively common mega salamence, and is scared out by koko, ruining your momentum. If you were to try out rain, I'd try Kingdra before anything else, never gets outsped and its Water/Dragon coverage is, at least before bank comes out, unresisted barring the somewhat rare (and easy to cover!) Azumarill, and the more common Bulu and Fini, one of whom is taken care of by ice beam, the other of whom needs another teammate.

If you were to end up using Araquanid anyway, I'd advise that you use its numerous positives to help out your team. It resists Mamoswine's STAB's and thus comes in on it with impunity, as well as anything choice-locked into earthquake. It's capable of wallbreaking virtually anything non-resistant to water if you have a choice band (Celesteela, the thing you'd actually want to 2hko with cb, sadly averts a Liquidation 2HKO without Band if it's phys def).

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 50
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Crunch
- Leech Life

This isn't LITERALLY Liquidation/filler/filler/filler but... Water Bubble makes Liquidation a bad play in only the cases of:
Liquidation is not very effective and Lunge/Leech Life are super effective (Mega Gyarados is a big mon in this category, but I wouldn't stay in on it if it hasn't mega'd since it can 50/50 you out)
Liquidation is 4x resisted or has an immunity.
Literally, i calculated it vs regular salamence with an intimidate down and Liquidation LITERALLY DOES MORE THAN ICE BEAM (-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Water Bubble Araquanid Liquidation vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 96-114 (56.1 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) vs (0- SpA Araquanid Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Salamence: 88-104 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

as well as the obvious place where you are forced to switch out. EV's are to creep Alolawaks who outspeed 0 speed p2, which also conveniently outspeeds 0 speed celesteela. I don't have tons of experience with it, so feel free to correct me if you see something that may be better!

Teammates it loves are things that dislike celesteela and mamoswine, two mons that immediately come to mind are garchomp and mega salamence. Additionally, mons that dislike earthquake like its help, such as Mega Metagross, Alola-Muk, and Aegislash appreciate Araquanid's presence. It appreciates things that can take its incredibly common weaknesses, Celesteela and Porygon2 are two things that are capable of going toe-to-toe with Mega Salamence (p2 can only take two double-edges with a physically defensive set, 196 Defense Bold if you're curious) and things that can defeat Tapu Koko, something that basically gains free momentum against it (for example, Mamoswine!)

Good luck building!

Last edited:
I always run rain with Kingdra I was just thinking of Araquanid as a secondary attacker and breaker before bank brings more rain sweepers. I played against it in 6v6, it was on my friends rain team, and it 2HKOs Slowbro in rain. It's power is ridiculous. I know it's easier to fit it onto a 6v6 team but I wan to try it on battlespot.

I guess I'd ask myself then, what does Araquanid do that Kingdra doesn't? Ideally, you'd want the slow u-turn into Kingdra to be a decisive knockout, although that's rarely how it ends up. How do you differentiate Araquanid's role as a water breaker when that's basically what Kingdra does? (or phrased alternatively, what is Araquanid even doing on this team?) Like, I don't exactly know if it would be prudent to use that exact set I posted considering that celes is, even if you just use surf and life orb over specs hydro pump, never going to defeat kingdra 1 on 1, and the best thing p2 can do to it is toxic it or maybe hit you with 1 download shadow ball if you don't ev for download on Kingdra. Rain is not an archetype that's too easily walled by much of anything (Chansey? Maybe?). I'd recommend something like LO Thunder Koko to deal with an actual large threat like Tapu Fini before you stack roles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)